In the real world (Avengers f...

By Lexies_Wolves

In the real world heroes dont exist. That's what sisters Christian and Laina thought. Until one unforgettable... More

In the real world kittens don't talk...
In the real world things like this are impossible... right?

In the real world heroes don't exist

3.3K 50 19
By Lexies_Wolves

In the real world heroes don't exist....

I was sitting on my bed reading a comic book by my bedside lamp. My sister Laina was in her room across the hall probably typing up a storm to a new book she was writing. We lived in New York City, in a small old house. Thankfully we lived in a quiet, friendly neighborhood. Everyone knew each other and everyone got along fine.

I was sitting with my back against the head board of my queen sized bed. My comfy Arc reactor t-shirt fitting loosely around my slim body and my red checkered cotton pajama bottoms kept my legs warm. I had my chestnut colored hair up in a messy bun. Basically it was the usually summer night. Rain was pounding out on the windows.

Everything was quiet until I saw an unusual flash of light out side, and before you go thinking that I'm crazy... No! It was not lightning. The bright flash was a glowing purple color. I jumped in surprise nearly falling of the edge of my bed.

'What the hell?', I murmured slowly climbing off my bed and walked towards my window. I quickly turned the light on and peeked between my blue curtains to scout out the front yard. I wasn't really able to see anything because it was raining so heavy out.

I reached under my bed and pulled out my metal baseball bat. Laina stood in her doorway looking at me confused. 'What are you doing?', she whispered. I gave her a reassuring smile, 'Just gonna check and see what that strange light was.'

She suddenly started to turn pale, 'But Christian what if it's something dangerous?!'She was suddenly scared and ran to me hugging me. I let out a small laugh hugging her back with one arm. 'I'll be fine Laina, just wait right here.', I calmly instructed.

Both me and my sister read a lot of comics and watch a lot of fantasy type stuff so we were sorta over reacting, but hey! If it were you and your little sister living alone, just two young girls that are completely defenseless you'd freakout over some purple light too. Aleast I think you would...

I made sure Laina would stay put before heading down stairs with my trusty bat ready to pummel somebody to a bloody pulp if they tried something.

I creeped towards the front door and peeked out the window beside the door. The front yard looked pretty normal except for a small dent like crater off towards the large oak tree. I huffed grabbing my thick hoodie of the coat rack and pulled on my rain boots before opening the door.

I stepped out on to the front porch and scanned the rest of the yard before grabbing my bat and heading towards the crater. When I looked inside it was empty, just a small dent that wasn't there before.

'I guess there's no aliens tonight...', I mumbled dryly before turning to go back to the house bat slung over my shoulder casually. We must've imagined the flash of light or something.

Just as I reached the porch I heard a loud crash from the shed in the back. My body stiffened. Maybe there was aliens to be dealt with. I returned to holding my bat at the ready and stalked up to the shed.

I was now drenched but that didn't bother me one bit, I was too concerned about what might be in my shed. I walked up to the already slightly opened door and took a deep breath before reaching forward and pulling it open.

Once the door was open I jumped back raising my bat. The shed was eerily dark except for the occasional flash of lightning that brightened the room and was silent except for the rumbling thunder.

I moved forward cautiously keeping my eyes  and ears peeled for anything out of place. I quickly found the source of the loud clash. It was the gardening equipment. Something or someone knocked it all down.

I scanned the room before letting out a relieved sigh. Nothing was here, probably just my imagination. I set my bat down and bent down grabbing up the gardening stuff and resetting them in their rightful places.

I was placing the small hand shovel back on the shelf when something dark and sharp lashed out cutting me across the top of my knuckles. I yanked my hand back wincing as my eyes scanned over the now bleeding scratch.

I looked back at the shelf, noticing nothing I was different about it. Then I noticed the small knocked over box of gardening linens like gardening aprons and such. I grabbed one of the tools and reached forward lifting up the flap of the box.

I did not expect to see six tiny kittens all huddled up together. There was a yellowish gold tabby infront of the bunch beside a black one. Which I now realized was the one who scratched my hand open.

The black one hunched it's back up, the hair on it's back and hackels rising as it let out a puny hiss. The yellowish one looked at me with a cautious look but didn't growl or anything of the sort.

'Awww you poor babies. You're all soaked and cold aren't you?',I questioned in a gentle voice. They all looked at me with wide glowing eyes. There was also a large Siamese kitten a orange tabby a brown tabby and another brown tabby with black markings on the top of it's head and down it's back.

The black one kept hissing and growling while the others just kept a distance. 'I'm not gonna hurt you.', I snapped getting annoyed with the black ones attitude. 'I'm gonna help you. Come here.', I softened my voice so they wouldn't be frightened.

I tried to coax them to come out but none of them even budged. I looked at the helpless little fluff balls and sighed. 'If you don't let me help you guys you'll get sick.', I whispered quietly.

I was about to give up when the golden tabby slowly and hesitantly crawled forward. I gave him a warming smile and picked him up careful not to hurt him. I pressed him against my chest gently and began to scratch soft circles onto his head and back making him purr loudly.

Slowly the others came forward and my arms were filled with kittens. All except for the black stubborn one. I was craddeling the other five in one arm while trying to get the feisty one out the box. 'Comere kitty', I tried to grab it. Big mistake on my part, it only earned me another scratch across my hand.

I sighed, I was gonna have to catch him somehow. I placed the other kittens in a basket that was sitting on the shelf with blankets inside. They all sat down and watched me curiously as I pulled my hoodie from my body.

'Looks like we're doing this the hard way grumpy.', I warned.

I turned the box over so that he was stuck under it then prepared my hoodie. I waited a moment before lifting the box back up and throwing the hoodie over him.

He freaked out and let out a loud meow. I picked up the hoodie with him securely wrapped inside. His body was tightly wrapped up except for his head which I let stick out.

He was letting out loud yowls for help. I just ignored it and tucked him under my arm before grabbing my bat and the basket. 'Lets get you little guys inside.', I said gently as I walked towards the door.

I walked out the shed and closed it behind me with my foot then walked up towards the house. It wasn't raining heavy anymore just a light drizzle. I walked up the front steps then knocked on the door with my foot since my hands were full.

'Laina open the door please!', I shouted hoping she'd hear me over the pitter patter of the rain. It took a minute our two but sure enough she opened the door curiously.

I walked inside and headed straight for the kitchen. 'What are you carrying?', Laina asked as she walked behind me. I set the basket down on the dining table and put my bat up against the wall before lifting up the black kitten who was now quietly struggling against the hoodie.

'Kitten!', she squealed. I smiled and shook my head at her. 'No Laina. Kittens.', I corrected putting emphasis on the plural term of kitten. She entirely brightened up and walked towards me to help.

'We gotta find then something to eat.', I instructed as I finally let the black kitten free and placed it in the basket with the others. They all watched him as he hissed at me before running to them.

The golden tabby looked up at me with his bright blue eyes and mew'd. I patted his head before heading towards the fridge to search out something for them to eat.

After a few minutes of searching Laina and I settled on giving them canned tuna. We placed two large bowls down and a large bowl of water.

They all swallowed it up immediately. They must've been starving. When they were done I set the dishes in the sink. All of the kittens were now laying in the basket together all cuddled up.

'Where will they sleep?', Laina asked quietly. I looked up at her tired face. It was almost 1:30 in the morning and we had gotten no sleep.

'Well I dont want to split them up. They seem really close...', I wasn't entirely sure were we would put them. There was no way we were separating them though.

'Lets put them in your bathroom. It's on the second floor so we could reach them easily and we could close them in so they don't scamper around the house while we try to sleep.' Laina came up with a very good solution.

I nodded my head and picked the basket up heading up stairs. Laina went to get a tray for them to use as a litter box, while I settled them in.

I sat the basket on the floor by the shower and sink. They all looked so peaceful. I smiled at them before turning to help Laina rip up newspaper to put in the litter box.

We would go to buy all the things we need for them in the morning. Once the litter box was set up I filled a bowl with water encase one of then got thirst, while Laina went to get more tuna to put out for them.

The bathroom was soon set up to be a kitten daycare. When we were satisfied I sent Laina off to bed. She needed the sleep. We both did.

I left the light on and gently closed the door behind me. My clothes was now dry so I didn't need to change at all. I walked over to my bed and plopped down. I turned my lamp off and quickly fell asleep sprawled out on my bed.

I never in my life felt so close to killing something then when I got woken up about an hour later to a whole bunch of mews. I knew Laina wouldn't be able to hear it from in her room. She wouldn't be able to hear it if she was in my room. She's a very heavy sleeper, I'm the complete opposite.

I sighed pulling myself out of bed and trudged to my personal bathroom and walked inside. The minute I entered the room the mews stopped.

I looked down at the group of kittens with bleary eyes and sighed. I raised a finger to them. 'One moment...', I said quietly before walking back to my room to grab my pillow and some blankets then returned.

I closed the bathroom door behind me and walked over to the tub. I placed the comforter that I retrieved from my closet down inside then set my pillow on one side before climbing inside. I relaxed into my some what comfortable bed.

'Okay I'm here now go to sleep.', I mumbled in a tired voice. I closed my eyes tightly and snuggled down into my new sleeping spot for the night.

I had my eyes closed for a few minutes before feeling small paws climbing all over me. I just let them be and stayed in my spot. I felt their fur brush against my skin as they found their own spots.

The yellowish tabby curled up by my ear in the crook of my neck, the orange tabby was laying on my stomach, the siamese kitten snuggled between my right hip and the wall of the tub while the brown tabby with the black marks crawled across my legs to snuggle with the orange tabby on my stomach and the brown tabby lay up on my pillow beside my head.

The black kitten just sat on the sink curled up all alone. I could swear to you, it looked like it was glaring at me. I shrugged it off and went to sleep.

A few minutes passed before I heard quiet paws moving from the sink climbing down to the tub. Then I felt the tiny paws making their way up to my chest.  The little black kitten must think I'm already asleep. The paws stopped there and it curled up right were the arc reactor would be on my shirt.

I let a small smile spread across my face and drifted off to peaceful sleep.

Wow. Okay this is my first fanfic so go easy on me. If you're reading this then Thank -You for reading In The Real World. I'm working very hard on this and hope you enjoy it. I'm not the best writer so there might be a few mistakes. I know this says Avengers Fanfic and it is you just have to let the story progress. Comment below if you think you know which kitten is which avenger!! Bye! Love All You Little Kittens!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3.7K 27
a paige bueckers story.
1.6M 52.6K 67
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
877K 34.9K 45
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
986K 17.1K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...