Hostile Takeover ❖ Jake Riley...

By SleekerVae

One year after the deadly viral epidemic in Atlanta, the city continued to mourn those they lost and commemor... More

Jenna Desmond (+ Teaser)
1~ I Can Hear You
2~ Leaf Off a Calendar
3~ When to Let Go
4~ Tragedy Plus Time
5~ I Will Never Be Convenient
6~ Society Chained to the Ground
7~ The Present Worse Than It Is
8~ Of Martyrs and Men
9~ Fire Stolen From the Gods
10~ Resilience is to Thrive
11~ A Man's Own Mind
12~ Sacrifice What You Are
13~ A Pearl in Rubbish
14~ Sing Your Death Song
15~ In His Distress a Man is Tested
16~ Its Own Seed
17~ Love is Growing Up
18~ The Resolution to Succeed
19~ The Abyss will Gaze Back at You
20~ To Dare Mighty Things
21~ Sure to be More Springs
Author's Note + Thanks Guys!!
Extra #1~ Waiting is the Most Difficult Bit
Extra #3~ I Thought This was Cute

Extra #2 ~ Ecstatic Jubilant Adventure

2.2K 82 11
By SleekerVae

"A mother does not become pregnant in order to provide employment to medical people. Giving birth is an ecstatic jubilant adventure not available to males. It is a woman's crowning creative experience of a lifetime."

~ John Stevenson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenna could tell something was off the moment Jana sat down. She seemed a little skittish today, almost off kilter. That still didn't stop her from inviting herself over for lunch that afternoon.

"You want a beer?" Jenna asked as she went for the fridge.

"Just water will do," Jana replied. That was odd too, Jenna thought. Jana always accepted a beer, whether it be hot or cold outside.

"Okay then," Jenna pulled out her own chair and sat down across from her friend, "I tried making that Thai cucumber salad that they do at Moxie's, it's just chilling in the fridge now," she said.

"I'm in no rush, Jen. I just needed somebody to talk to. And I couldn't talk to my mother because she'd just get crazy if I told her..." she trailed off before she could finish. Now Jenna knew that there was definitely something wrong.

"Is everything okay, Jana? You and Lex are okay?" she asked.

"We're fine," she replied, "Lex is a great guy, but it's not him. It's me,"

She started to become nervous, mostly because of the other relationships that could have been at stake. Jana was one of her best friends... who was Lex's girlfriend... who just happened to be Jake's best friend. If these two called it off, then the last Jenna wanted was for her and Jake to be caught in the middle between them. 

"... Then, what is it?" she asked. Jana looked off to the side before she sighed heavily and pressed the knuckles of her right hand into her left palm.

"Well, recently, I've been a little sick. At first, I thought it was just a 24-hour bug, then I realized that... I missed my period," Jenna suddenly became excited.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" she asked.

"I haven't confirmed it with a doctor yet... but I took two pregnancy tests this morning. I was positive," 

Jenna was at a loss for words at first, so she leapt from her seat and engulfed Jana in a hug, "Jana! This is amazing!" she squealed happily. Jana just chuckled and hugged her back.

"I'm glad you think so," she said, "I'm just not sure how Lex will take it,"

"What do you mean, how is he going to take it? He's going to be thrilled!" she exclaimed. But she could tell by Jana's exterior that she wasn't exactly, "... and you're not?"

"I just never thought I could responsible for another human being. It's simple when it's just two people, you know? There are no commitments, no diapers, parent-teacher conferences. Children are just a whole other level," she said. In a way, Jana was right. Jenna had only really known Quentin for just under a year. But still, it was quite rewarding.

She got see Quentin's games, help with his homework, and she'd talk to him when he was having a bad day. It was quite enlightening, having him around. Supposedly, Jana never quite got that experience.

"I don't have much experience with babies... but I have experience with Quentin. And you know, he's a product of his mom, who taught him the difference between right and wrong. We just try to guide him," she said, "Lex is a great guy, and he'd make a wonderful father. And I'm betting dollars to doughnuts, as soon as you lay your eyes on that kid, you're going to fall in love,"

"You're talking as if from experience," she said.

"That's what my mom always told me... about having kids. She was a smart woman, I say you take her word for it," she replied. Jana scoffed and smiled, then she pulled Jenna in for another hug.

"Jake better be good to you," she said.

"Oh, believe me. He would never think of otherwise, if he knows what's good for him," Jenna said, "Tell Lex, he'll be thrilled,"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Days passed, and while Jenna kept Jana's expectancy tight-lipped -- especially from Jake -- he and other officers were getting suspicious. Especially Lex. That was until one day, when Jenna went to meet Jake for lunch during a work day. 

She stepped into the locker room, immediately being hit by the smell of sweat and strong aftershave. This place was never her favourite room in the station, but she spotted Jake in the middle of the room, dressed in his street clothes and talking idly with Dave.

"Hey guys," she smiled as she approached. Jake smiled as soon as he saw her and greeted her with a kiss.

"Hey Jenna, don't you look nice today," Dave said.

"Thanks Dave," she replied. Jake just rolled his eyes at Dave.

"Really?" he asked, "Don't you have a wife at home?"

"I can appreciate a cute girl every now and again," he replied.

"Speaking of girls, we have a question for you," Jake said.

"Should I be nervous?" Jenna asked.

"Not at all," Dave replied, "It's about Lex,"

Jenna turned her head at Lex, who was busy texting on his phone to notice the three, "What about him?" she asked.

"You and Jana have been tight-lipped with us for the past three days, what's going on?" Jake asked.

"I don't know," she replied.

"See? She's doing it again," Jake said to Dave. 

"What am I doing?" she asked. 

"I'll just cut to the chase. I got a running bet with some of these guys that Jana wants to call it quits with Lex. You don't have to tell me up front, but if that's the case, I'll take a subtle nod,"  Dave said. Jenna just remained motionless.

"Told you, she's hard to crack," Jake said.

"I'm appalled that you guys would think so low of Jana," she said.

"Okay, is Jana going to ask Lex to marry her?" Jake asked. Jenna scoffed.

"I don't think Jana is quite ready to tie the knot," she replied.

"So, what is it?" Dave asked.

"I know my constitutional rights, which means that I'm going to plead the fifth," she replied.

"She gets As in her classes," Jake said.

"You bet your balls I do," she replied.

They heard the door open, and Jana walked in. Lex was suddenly up and alert when he saw her, as were many of the other officers. Many of them had an inside scoop of their relationship, which was mostly Jake's fault. 

"Hey, what's going on?" Lex asked her.

"I don't know," she replied, "Do you have a minute?"

"Sure," he pulled them over to a quieter corner in the room, while Jake, Jenna, and Dave watched. Jenna had butterflies swirling in her stomach, anxious to see Lex's reaction when Jana told him.

"Bet you a twenty and a round at Frederick's she's got one in the oven," Dave whispered. Jenna remained silent.

"You're on," he and Jake shook on it, while Jenna just rolled her eyes.

Lex suddenly clapped his hands together, catching the attention of many of the other officers. Then, while Jana had a grateful smile on her face, he shouted, "We're having a baby!" 

The officers started applauding and cheering, while Jana just blushed furiously. Meanwhile, Dave turned to Jake and smirked.

"I called it! You owe me a round!" he exclaimed. Jake just chuckled and pulled a twenty out of his pocket. Jana immediately spotted them and stepped forward.

"Was there a bet!?" she asked, her eyes then fell on Jenna, "Jenna!" The younger girl just put her hands up and shook her head.

"Dave is a lot smarter than he looks!" she replied. Jana just laughed and threw her arms around Lex.

Jake clapped along with the others and turned to Jenna, "Did you know about this?" he asked.

"Maybe, maybe not. Lucky for me, I don't kiss and tell," she replied. Jake just smiled and planted a kiss on her lips. 

"For future, if you do get pregnant, I'd like to be the first to know," he said. Jenna just chuckled.

"We'll see, Riley. We'll see,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45K 1.8K 33
🥉🥉Third Place in 'New Adult' Platinum Award 2020🥉🥉 Book 1 in The Gangleader's Obsession duology. Blurb: Shania Jakes has been through a life of...
32.4M 812K 66
For 18 year old Avery Williams, life hasn't been an easy ride. With her mom on life support, being poor which means she can't afford her mom's surger...
15.1K 791 26
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies... Republishing of "Still Not Bitten" ... With their protector Lee gone, Clement and (Y/N) must survive on their own...
300K 5.4K 15
Casey is having the time of her life. She's 18, allowed to drink and she's ready to hit up the night clubs. One night, Casey parties a little TOO ha...