Brooklyn's Queen: A Spot Conl...

By queenofnewsies23

Finley Kelly, the little sister of the famous Jack Kelly. She's the only girl newsie in all of New York, and... More

Intro
Chapter 1: Carrying The Banner
Chapter 2: You learn from Jack, you learn from the best
Chapter 3: Girl?
Chapter 4: Darkness
Chapter 5: The World Will Know
Chapter 6: Ambassadors
Chapter 7: Spot Conlon
Chapter 8: Seize the Day
Chapter 9: Those Eyes
Chapter 10: Brooklyn Is Here!
Chapter 11: You's A Brave Goil
Chapter 12: Jack 'ill Kill Me
Chapter 13: Perfectly Toned Body
Chapter 14: Any Problems?
Chapter 15: High Times, Hard Times
Chapter 16: Our Man Denton
Chapter 17: I Don't Understand
Chapter 18: You's Stabbed Us All In The Back
Chapter 19: Firery Goils
Chapter 20: John Davis
Chapter 21: The World Will Feel The Fire and Finally Know
Chapter 22: Dear Old Brotha
Chapter 23: You's Spot's goil?
Chapter 24: Thank Ya, I Mean It
Chapter 25: Harry from Queens
Chapter 26: Guess That Lucky Guy Is You
Chapter 27: About, You and Spot
Chapter 28: Business
Chapter 29: Girls Night Out
Chapter 31: Still Living In Brooklyn
Chapter 32: Comin' to 'hattan
Chapter 33: Who Disobeyed My Orders
Chapter 34: Us?
Chapter 35: Wit and Maisy
Chapter 36: Caught
Chapter 37: Awake
Chapter 38: Cookies
Chapter 39: I Love You

Chapter 30: Murderers in New York

4.5K 81 83
By queenofnewsies23

"Wow, this headline sucks." Race opened up a pape and read it to himself.

"Yeah, but, headlines don't sell papes, newsies sell papes Race!" I teased.

"Oh shut it." Race scoffed as he lit a cigar. I chuckled. I grabbed my usual number and threw them over my shoulder. I walked over and sat next to Race on the steps. Jack then walked past and stood a few feet in front of us.

"He still mad atcha from last night?" Race asked.

I scoffed, "Yeah, it's stupid really, I's only came home 30 minutes late, untouched and unharmed."

"He just cared about ya Finn, he's bein' ovaprotective." Race said.

"Well, he's got ta stop, I's old enough." Race just rolled his eyes and continued to read the front page.

"Aye, checks out page 3 guys." Kid said, walking over to us.

Race flipped to the page and I leaned over to look at him. It read, DANGEROUS MEN ON THE LOOSE IN NEW YORK CITY. We all looked at each other in confusion. Race began to read the article out loud.

"Afta the night of July 15th, 1899, three suspects have been killed when potential murder pair on da loose here in New York City. The living suspects describe dis group of two as male, caucasian, and in late twenties. Weapons used to kill are knifes and being beatin' to death, no gun wound so far. Crime scenes were at night. We's will keep ya updated on more information once we get it."

We all looked at each other. Murderers in New York? Jack was listening to Race and came closer.

"Murderers? Here?" He said.

Kid shook his head, "Come on, how hard could it be to catch two guys. They's made their mark in New York."

"Why isn't this on the front page?" Mush asked. 

"There isn't enough information," Davey told us. "And plus they don't want to scare people, yet. Once they get more news, then they'll put it on the front page."

I started to talk. "But, the onlys way to get more information is-"

"Is for more killin's to happen." Jack rubbed his neck. "Awlright guys, yous have yous papes. Go out and get those sold, once done, head straight for the lodgin' house. Yous should not be out when the sun starts to set."

We all nodded in agreement. We all wanted to be safe, and it's better to be safe, than sorry.

Us newsies all walked out of the gates and into the streets. I began to head over to the main square.

"Yous stayin' wit me today." I heard Jack say. He ran to catch up to me.

I rolled my eyes. "No ones goin' to be murdered in daylight Jack, I's fine."

"I's don't trust people." Jack said.

We walked the rest of the time in silence, selling to those who past us. Jack took the north side of the main square and I took the South. We could still see each other in sight, but I was a good 500 feet away. I sold half of my papes in 1 hour. I guess the headline MURDERER caught the attention of many people. It was the easiest headline, so I used that all day. Two hours later, around 10, I was getting through most of my newspapers. This was going to be a very quick day for us newsies.

"Yous sell quick!"

I turned around and saw Spot standing behind me. I grinned.

"Oh don't look so surprised," I said. "A goil can sell jus as well as a boy." 

I walked closer to him. He pulled me in and gave me a kiss. We smiled.

"Whys you ova here?" I asked.

"What, I's can't come see me goil any time I's want?" Spot teased.

I crossed my arms and looked at him. He had something on his mind.

Spot sighed. "I's sure yous read the headline on page 3."

"Yeah, that's how I's been sellin' today." I told him.

"Hey, I jus wanted to tell ya to please be careful." He said.

"Spot I know-" 

"Finley, please." Spot grabbed my hands. "Until tis passes, I's don't want you out once the sun starts to set, and I's don't want ya to be walkin' ova to Brooklyn late at night like ya usually do."

"I know, I know." I said."I's know these guys are dangerous and they's are killin' random people on the street, and I's could be one... I's already got the talk from Jack."

"No Finley, listen to me." Spot became serious. I looked at him and my smile drained. He looked worried.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I's know people, and I's got some info not many people knows." Spot said. "These killin's and crimes, they's only so far haves killed newsies, people like yous and me, children too."

"Oh my god." I whispered. I was shocked. My eyes darted around the streets, looking at unfamiliar faces. Why were the murdered targeting newsies? Spot must have seen me get worried.

"But, don't worry, we's will all keep an eye out and all be followin' the new rules. I's sure each section is puttin' out their own."

"Yeah, but, why us? We's no bodies, couple of orphaned, poor kids, livin' on the streets! That's sick..." I found myself becoming very angry. "Do, do you knows whos been killed?"

Spot nodded. "Two kids from Queens, and ones from the Bronx, but theys were killed not in their boroughs. Theys were deliverin' messages or just wit boys from another place. None were killed in their home town."

"Thats so weird," I sighed. I'm hoping this murder pair is caught soon. 

"Oh boy, yous brotha is comin' ova here." Spot said.

I turned around and saw Jack walking towards us. He didn't look mad or annoyed, he looked calm. Spot pulled his hands away and was just standing next to me.

"Heya Spot." Jack said. He had his hands in his pockets. "See yous done early?"

"Well, the headline made it easy." Spot said in a loud tone of voice. 

"I's was hopin' yous would come ova here.Can I's speak wit cha for a sec Spot?" Jack asked.

Spot nodded and Jack pulled Spot aside. I looked at them for a few seconds, pissed that Jack didn't include me in the conversation, but then went on to selling my papes again. I waited about 10 minutes, and then the boys came back over to me. I turned to face them.

"Finn, yous goin' to spend the night in Brooklyn, jus until tis whole murderin' pairs pass." Jack said. I looked at him curiously. He must have saw this. "It's safa there than here in 'hattan. The boys there knows how to take on people like dat. Overawl, yous will be protected, betta than here."

I looked over at Spot and he nodded at me.

"And, yous okay wit that?" I asked Jack.

"I's knows yous will be safe, and I's way okay wit that." Jack told me. "Finish sellin' your papes and then come to the lodgin' house. We'll go ova there afta."

Jack walked away. He was done selling and went to the lodging house. I turned to face Spot and smiled.

"At least I'll be wit yous a lot more." I put my hands around his neck. His hands went on my waist. He smiled and gave me a kiss.

"I's have ta get back. The boy will be waitin' for meh, we's got lots of newsies asking us more info." Spot told me.

I nodded and he turned on his heels. I watched him go into the crowd and went back to selling. I finished the rest of my papes about an hour later and walked back. I greeted Mr. Kloppman who sat at his front desk and stepped up the stairs. Jack was sitting on our bed, shuffling a deck of cards. 

"I's don't know if ya wanna bring anything, but yous probably goin' to be there for a while." Jack said, not even looking at me. I stood right next to him, watching his shuffle the cards. 

"I'll jus pack my dress, jus in case." I said, pulling it out of the draw. Jack handed me a small sack and I threw it in there, as well as my cap. I wanted to let my hair down.

"Awlright, lets go." Jack hopped down and started down the stairs. I followed.

We walked through the streets of Manhattan. I then saw Race still selling his newspapers.

"Give me a sec Jack." I ran over to Race.

"Heya Finn!" He smiled, but it then drifted away when he saw me holding a sack. "Where's ya headed?"

I looked at the ground. "Jack wants me to stay in Brooklyn, says I's safa there, until these murderers go away."

Race looked upset, he knew I probably wasn't going to be seeing him for a few days. "I's see... But, he is right. Brooklyn is safer, those boys could kill me wit one blow." Race tried to lighten the mood. 

I chuckled. "See ya 'round." I gave him a hug.

"Jus, stay safe." Race said. 

I waved and walked back over to Jack. We then continued our path towards Brooklyn. The docks were mostly empty, with a few boys who were done with the day. Jack and I walked on with ease, I'm surprised there was no one there to stop Jack. The boys knew me by now.

Spot sat on an edge with a few other boys playing cards. He smoked a cigar and puffed smoke into the air ever so often. He looked up and saw Jack and I coming over to him. The other boys in the game did the same thing. Spot got up and walked over to us. 

"Yous betta take care of her Spot Conlon, or I'll beat ya to death." Jack said, coldly. He was not in a good mood.

"Don't ya worry Jacky boy, she's safe 'ere." Spot said.

Jack turned away and I watched him walked back down the docks. I was a little upset he didn't say goodbye, or give me anything. I get he was mad, but he didn't have to act like this. I then looked over at Spot who was looking at me.

"What?" I scoffed.

"Nothin'." Spot smirked. "Yous jus so beautiful, that's all."

"Spot Conlon, yous are too much." I blushed and gave him a light punch in his shoulder.

"Come on doll face, put yous stuff down in my room."

_________________

Wasn't planning on this, but thought it would bring Spot and Finley closer! Let me know in the comments!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2K 148 13
Jolynn Morris was the twin sister to Charlie (or Crutchy). They were both outcasts in Queens. Crutchy because he was a crip and Jolynn because she wa...
12K 140 18
Jazzer Higgins is Racetrack's long lost twin sister who has just made her way to Manhattan after escaping the girls version of the Refuge. She is gla...
9.5K 86 19
Kat Kelly: independent, sarcastic, and younger sister of Jack. NOT someone who needs "protection" by the reluctant King of Brooklyn himself, Spot Con...
111K 2K 25
{Y/N} Kelly gets herself into some complicated situations. A girl posing as a boy to escape law enforcement and an overprotective brother that doesn'...