The Elementalists

Av SydCarv

:❤: Highest Ranked #108 in ROMANCE :❤: :?: Highest Ranked #1 in 'elements':?: Fiera has lived in the human re... Mer

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.

47.

1.1K 58 4
Av SydCarv

My knee-jerk reaction was to get away from him. I managed to suppress it so as not to look odd in front all of these people but I was a bit late. I flinched as we made eye contact.

Still holding my smile, I casually took a step away from, pulling my arm back from his chest. "My bad, I turned too fast."

"Maybe you should slow down a bit." Christopher gestured to my drink with his own.

I rolled my eyes, realising my heart was beating way too fast. "None of your business." I snapped, taking another step back.

He grinned at me, blue eyes glued onto mine. "Fair enough. I'm surprised I hadn't seen you till now. I was just a couple of houses down."

I shrugged. "I don't think I went that way yet." I turned to Sean. "You know where Anita is? I've been looking for her for a while."

Sean shrugged, bored that he wasn't participating in our tense conversation and too drunk to notice that it was for the best. "Francis and her are inseparable. Find Francis, find her."

"And where's Francis?" I asked, stifling an exasperated sigh.

He gave me another shrug, taking a long deep swig as he turned away. "What do I know?"

"Why don't we look together?" Christopher helpfully offered, taking a step towards me. "I think I saw him a while back."

"No, thanks." I started turning away from him. "By the looks of it, seems like even you've had a few."

He'd probably come to party properly dressed with a jacket, and his shirt tucked in. But there was no sign of the jacket, his shirt was untucked and his sleeves rolled up to his forearms. What is it about revealing forearms that makes guys look ten times hotter?

I saw sadness pass through his eyes but he didn't follow me as I turned to walk away. I was running away without any of the speed because I didn't want it to seem like I was running away. Christopher didn't scare me, being seen with him did.

I stopped when I heard my name being called out again. I turned to see a guy Sean had introduced to me earlier in the night waving at me. I stood there, waiting for him to jog up to me.

"Hey Al, what's up?" I greeted easily, managing to pull out his name from the depths of my fuzzy mind.

"You know where Francis is?" He asked, gesturing for me to keep walking. "I'm the designated driver for a bunch of my classmates but I can't find any of them."

"I'm looking for him too. But why so early?" I glanced at my watch. "It's still about an hour to New Year's."

"I know." He nodded, waving to someone. "But I need to make sure they all show up where I've parked the car. They're all probably wasted right now."

"So, Francis and who else?"

"Francis got his own car. I'm looking for Anita." He scowled. "She said she'd need a ride back."

"Right, they're almost inseparable."

"Exactly." He paused to give me a hopeful look. "Help me search for them?"

I threw a casual glance around the garden I was in now. I didn't know how to get out of this. I'd just told him I was looking for Francis too. "Sure." I answered, turning back to face him. "Where do we begin?"

As annoying as getting stuck in someone else's errand was, it was still fun. The two of us constantly stopped to ask people what's up and if they'd seen who we're looking for. Most of them didn't know either, and we ended up getting involved into conversations with the more drunk ones. It got a bit tedious after a point and I was considering suggesting splitting up just so I wouldn't have to look for them anymore. I'll be asking Eric for a lift tonight when he's returning from his friend's house.

As the clock ticked closer to New Year's, more and more people started to spill out onto the street, the music started getting louder as the street filled up with people and their noise.

It became impossible for Al and I to move around much so we just stood there making small talk. I'd only seen these many people at school and it seemed like almost all of them were here. There were people leaning on each other, or just sitting on the ground. Even the bartenders and waiters from the houses gathered outside, mingling with their patrons with ease. It was a very electric atmosphere as people started getting hyped up for the stroke of midnight.

Surprisingly enough, Sean somehow found me and dragged the two of us to Francis and Anita who wasted no time in throwing their arms around me. I laughed into their hugs, equally happy to see as Al heaved a sigh of relief.

It was a bit funny to watch Anita handle Al, who was, in fact, a senior and not in my year as I was assuming. Funny, he looked much younger.

As the two bickered, I reached out for the bottle Francis was carrying as my glass was empty.

"Hey, hey, hey." He pulled the bottle to the side. "Hands off the merchandise, honey."

I cocked an eyebrow. "I'll fight you for it."

There was a long pause between the two of us before he grinned. "I was just gonna ask for the magic word but threats work just as well."

I laughed, taking the now offered bottle. "I didn't mean it, Franny, calm down."

Anita burst out laughing all of a sudden, leaning against me as she pointed at Francis. "She-she called you FRANNY!"

Francis rolled his eyes. "Yeah, and only she can call me Franny." As Anita opened her mouth to challenge him, Francis coughed into his hand something that sounded very much like 'road trip'. Anita didn't say a word against him after that.

"Will there be fireworks?" I asked Sean after glancing at my watch.

Sean shook his head. "No. Fireworks are banned here. They reach too high." Confusion passed across my face as Sean grimaced. "Right, you're not from here. Anyway, the higher up you go, the weaker the dimension walls become and fireworks aren't necessarily strong enough to rip through them but it does adversely affect the weather for a few days. The Main Council figured that it was better to ban them overall than deal with damage it might be causing the walls over a long period of time."

I nodded slowly. "That's makes sense. Prevention is better than cure."

"Even better since we don't know the cure." Sean mumbled into his glass. "The ones who made the dimensions were probably geniuses but not genius enough to leave a freaking instruction manual behind."

"Oh, boy." A pang of worry ran through me. "Can this place fall apart?"

Sean shrugged. "It's possible. My dad says there are theories and contingencies but maybe there was a purpose to not leaving instructions behind. Maybe they meant for us to eventually assimilate back into human society."

"Huh." I glanced down at my glass, realising how much place actually meant to me now within less than a year. "I need more alcohol."

Sean snickered. "I'll drink to that."

"Hey, Fi." I turned to face Francis. "You're not from here, are you?" I shook my head. "Right, you don't know the tradition. Did Sean tell you about it?"

"Tell me about what?" I glanced between the two.

Sean shrugged, looking away tov clearly shirk responsibility. "I told her about the fireworks."

Francis frowned, glancing at his watch and tsking. "We don't have a lot of time to explain this. Two minutes left." He looked up at me. "Fireworks are banned, so we" he gestured to both of us "become the fireworks."

I stared at him blankly as he willed me to understand, hand still in the air. "I don't get it." I finally said.

Francis sighed. "Basically, you point your hand up into the air and shoot explosive projectiles. Has your instructor taught you that yet?"

I nodded slowly. "Rhaeya has me on fastrack. But isn't that dangerous?"

"You have to make sure it doesn't touch the ground. Simple."

"And what's your job?"

"I make colourful lights."

I snickered. "You're like glorified fairy lights."

Francis pouted at me as Anita burst out laughing again. She shut up as soon as he threw her another glare.

"Guys!" I stiffened as my eyes fell on Christopher. He had his arm thrown around Sean and Francis's shoulders and was grinning at the rest of us. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah." Francis nodded. "Just explaining to Fi what she has to do."

Sharp blue eyes turned to me. "Ready?"

I shrugged. "We'll see."

Francis grinned and patted Christopher's arm slung around his neck. "How's your fist?"

"Pretty good."

"Really?" Francis glanced at Sean. "I figured smashing it into Earth boy here would've left a lasting impact."

Christopher rolled his eyes as Sean laughed good-naturedly. "Please, I've hit harder punching bags."

That cracked a smile from even me as I heard a DJ start yelling about the countdown from someone's backyard. As I watched, hands started rising in the air. Mostly empty, some counting down on their fingers, some holding up their drinks as they chanted the final few numbers.

I hesitantly raised my hand, as Francis took one last swig and threw his hand up into the air. The lights on the street started flickering as I felt a palpable change in the air. Despite the chill, a heat rose as even the Fire Elementalists prepared. And oh, were we prepared. I'd consumed enough alcohol tonight, time to burn it all away.

As expected, the moment the countdown ended, the crowd became a deafening wall of noise and the sky lit up like nobody's business.

Light and fire projectiles arced through the sky. The light several different colours, the fire bright orange, huge and exploding outwards. I couldn't help a smile spreading across my face as I watched projectiles spread across the sky. It took a conscious effort but I raised the heat of my projectiles, which made them majorly blue and then explode, separating into bright orange plums which faded away into the air.

I laughed, my joy lost in the din as I just kept up my barrage. It was exhilarating to be part of such a huge and beautiful display of teamwork. No boundaries between anymore. Just the elements out to play.

I felt something brush against my other hand, the one I had down by my side, and turned my head to meet a pair of startling blue eyes.

My eyes widened in surprise as I felt Christopher take my hand. His head was turned towards me, the lights in the sky illuminating his face but the glow from within his eyes was something else entirely. He had a soft smile on his lips as he leaned in.

I felt my heart go into overdrive, but my mind was blank. I wasn't going to stop him if he kissed me.

But he didn't.

"Happy New Year." He whispered in my ear, his lips brushing against my cheek as he pulled away.

I missed him.

My stomach was doing eager flips. That barely-there contact made me wish I could be with him again. All I wanted to do was lock lips with him. Make this a very happy New Year indeed. But I had enough sense in me to restrain myself.

I smiled back at him, squeezing his hand. "Happy New Year, Christopher."

Once the 'fireworks' were over, our little motley crew dispersed to wish their friends. I was left alone so I attended the calls I started getting the moment it struck 12. It was a bit funny but because I'd lived in so many places, some of my old friends had already reached the new year, while others were just on the cusp of it.

Friends I hadn't heard from in ages called me. Surprisingly enough, Rhaeya, followed by Brett and then Mich. I was expecting calls from Eric and Flo but I didn't mind waiting. They were also probably on other calls.

I strolled around, being pulled into random hugs by people drunker than me, or people I vaguely knew from class and practice. All in all, it was a pretty good beginning to the year. I hung around a bit, making the usual small talk about resolutions and what they were planning for the new year. It was always interesting to hear about others, their stories and plans. Some wanted to study harder, some wanted to lose weight, others made some vague resolutions like keeping a diary, or living each day to its fullest which I knew wouldn't last very long. I mean, lying on your bed watching a new movie everyday isn't exactly the 'fullest'. And a diary? Please, they'd rather text their friends about their problems.

I found my way back to Sean's house, collapsing in one of the comfy armchairs and tugging my heels off to rest for a while. Francis had promised to drop Anita and I home. He didn't want Anita to leave early with Al.

From what I knew of the story, they both were childhood best friends who drifted apart in middle school. But they got close again during high school and Francis started to fall for her but she started to fall for girls, and they've been inseparable ever since. It was a beautiful story. They both had the same goals in a way.

I pulled up my legs, tucking them under me and arranging my long, sheer skirt around them. I was tired, my feet hurt from the heels. I wanted to go home and get in my bed.

"Oh, hey Fi." I heard someone say from behind.

I twisted my head to catch sight of Al. "Hey Al." I smiled up at him. "Leaving?"

He nodded, picking up his jacket from the stand and walking over to me. "I texted them all, they should be showing up by my car in the next five minutes."

I nodded. "Hopefully they're not all drunk and can still make sense of time."

He grimaced. "Well, hell." I laughed, turning back around as he walked over to pick at the snacks kept on the table. "I am exhausted."

"Tell me about it." I let my head fall back on the armchair. "Shooting the fireballs took more out of me than I figured it would."

"You had the blue ones, right?" I nodded. "Those were cool."

"Thanks."

I shifted a bit, placing my feet back on the ground as I noticed his eyes lingering on my leg peeking through the high slit in skirt. The slit in it was nearly invisible when I sat down but eye-catching when I stood. It rose up to a more than a few inches above my knee but stopped just short of keeping my modesty. The shimmery bodice was covered in black sequins, but the sheer, layered white skirt seemed to glowed in the dark. There were of straps tied around my neck holding up my dress, giving a very plunging neckline and a very obvious lack of a back. The skirt was some floaty material which always seemed to drag by my feet. I arranged it properly, bending to tug my heels back on again.

"So, uh, I wanted to ask you something."

"Shoot." I replied, tugging on my other heel.

"Are you free thi-"

"FI-E-RA!!" I jumped, turning around in my seat to see Francis giggling by the door as Anita rolled her eyes at him. "FI!" Francis yelled again.

"I'm here!" I snapped irritatedly. "Stop yelling my name. Are you drunk or blind?"

"I'm drunk, but according to the Bible, I should've gone blind a long time ago."

Anita snickered as she rounded my armchair, promptly plopping herself into my lap. I leaned away as she leaned in, her fingers tracing my cheek. "You're not the only one who should've gone blind a while back, Francis." She winked suggestively at me.

I gave her a wobbly smile and laughed. "I still don't swing that way, Anita."

She smirked at me. "One night with me and you will."

I opened and closed my mouth like a fish, a trapped fish as I watched her lean in.

"Hey, hey, hey." Sean's voice distracted her and I heaved a loud sigh of relief. "How can I be missing some girl-on-girl action here?" He paused as I turned to around to look at him. His eyes flickered between the two of us before he chuckled. "Anita, you've got the wrong person. I know for a fact that she's not into girls."

I turned redder, opening my mouth to threaten him right as Christopher strolled in too. "Whoa." He paused by the doorway, assessing the situation. "Uh, Anita, Fi's straight."

All three guys by the doorway glanced at each other and shrugged. "But who are we to interrupt?" Francis spoke for the three of them as he leaned expectantly against the wall.

The other two seemed to agree. Both guys who I was physically attracted to and both who knew I was straight, wanted me to wander the other path.

I rolled my eyes, turning back around to face a grinning Anita. "I'm flattered, but-" I grabbed her waist, immediately twisting to slide away from under her. Stumbling away as she landed and bounced in the armchair in confusion "-not today."

Grumbles erupted from the three by the door, I used one hand to fix my skirt and the other to flip them the bird. "I don't see you guys getting ready to kiss each other."

There were audible steps as the grumbles stopped and they got some distance between each other. I turned to face a confused Al. "You were saying?"

"Um, uh." He stared at me blankly. "Right, are you free on-"

He jumped as his phone started ringing loudly. Cursing to himself, he ran out of the house as he answered the call.

Francis whistled. "If I didn't know any better, he was about to ask you out."

"Please," I rolled my eyes, picking up a cold chicken finger "I don't even know his surname, I wouldn't have said yes."

"For being Fire," Sean began, flopping onto the sofa, green eyes on his empty tumbler "you're pretty cold."

"Tell me about it." Christopher grumbled as he passed by behind Sean to take a seat as well. Only I understood the meaning behind the words. I walked away to refill my glass and hide my face.

The bartender had left. I made my way behind the bar to get a stronger drink, in case I had to deal with Christopher for a while.

"You wouldn't, by any chance," Francis began slowly as he walked up to the bar "know how to make a Bloody Mary?"

I nodded. "I do. I'm pretty good at it."

"Ooh, I'll have one!" Anita twisted in her seat, her brown eyes wide with interest. "I want!"

I laughed. "Hold onto your horses, I need to check if the ingredients are here or in the kitchen."

Sean also had an interested look in his eye. "The blender is under the bar, and all the ingredients should be in a basket behind you. The sauces should be in front of you."

It took a bit of searching to find the pepper, sea salt and celery seeds but I luckily had friendly banter to work with as I found everything. "Anyone here know how to cut anything without cutting themselves?"

Sean started to stand but Christopher immediately jumped up. "I know how to work a knife."

I grimaced for more than one reason. "Knowing how to work a knife isn't the same as knowing how to cut vegetables without cutting yourself."

Sean started to sit. "That's true. Mom says the same thing."

Christopher hesitated on the way here and I shook my head. "Sit back down. I'll make it."

"But-"

"Sit."

He frowned, glancing back at Sean and then me, before walking back.

Francis turned his head to look at me. "Someone was jealous."

I didn't look up at him as I worked on pre-cut horseradish. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure, you don't." I could hear a smirk in his voice, luckily low enough to keep it between the two of us.

Anita asked for citrusy and Francis took spicy. Guess I'm the bartender for as long as I'm here.

"This is pretty good." Anita complimented, curiosity flashing in her brown eyes as she continued. "How'd you learn?"

"I was bored." I answered easily. "I'm often alone at home so I took some online bartending lessons. They've come in real handy for house parties."

"You keep a lot of those?" Francis asked, taking a bite of his celery. "House parties?"

"Nah. I'm not the party kind." Everyone rolled their eyes. "As in, I don't like to keep parties. The house parties were mostly for Mich's co-workers. You know, house-warming, farewells, welcome parties, Christmas parties, etcetera." I sipped my drink. "Several of them found it weird that I was serving drinks while not being legal, but I usually kept them drunk enough to not raise an issue."

"That's pretty impressive." Sean raised his glass. "I'll drink to that."

I rolled my eyes, remembering him saying that earlier tonight... yesterday? Last year? "You'll drink to anything."

He laughed, turning to glance at me with a sparkle in his green eyes. "I'll drink to that too."

In the next hour, people around us started leaving. The streets started emptying of both people and cars. It wasn't long before it was only the five of us left, just chatting lazily as the needle ticked closer and closer to the dead of night. Francis and Anita decided to take off, which meant it was time for me to leave too. Sean saw us all off. I was bit worried as I saw him sway drunkenly.

Christopher said goodbye and walked away, heading up the street to get his own car and leave. I was a bit sad to see him go. It had been nice to just talk to him again. Though the looks he was throwing me made it clear that he wanted to do more than just talk.

"Fi," Anita startled me out of my thoughts "where'd you get your dress? I've been thinking about where I saw it but I can't pinpoint it."

I glanced down at my dress. "It was a Christmas present. I'd have to ask." I cocked my head, meeting her eyes in the rearview mirror. "You can borrow it if you want."

"No, I was just asking." Anita smiled at me. "Besides, I'm skinny. It wouldn't fit me."

Ouch.

Francis snickered. "You saying Fi is fat?"

I rolled my eyes as Anita laughed, embarrassedly and punched Francis. "Shut up!"

It was a comfortable drive back to my house. Confusion passed through me as Francis pulled up to my house. There was a car in my driveway.

"I thought you said you didn't have a car." Anita said slowly.

I nodded, reaching for the door handle. "I don't. But maybe Mich's 'friend' might."

There was a short pause before they both went 'oh', realising that when I said friend, I meant the overnight kind. Waving them goodbye and wishing them once more, I watched them drive away. Only then did my smile drop.

Striding up to the sleek car, a model I recognised, I knocked on the window with irritation clear on my face. "What are you doing here, Christopher?"

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

95.6K 3.9K 26
There was only one thing that every kid lived for on their sixteenth birthday. It wasn't parties or celebrations but a test. Julie's government is ru...
262 140 200
1. In the distant future, Earth is ruled by a newly born intelligence of technology, reducing humanity to a mere adjunct. To begin anew, the "Kunpeng...
311K 19.3K 21
***This story takes place 100 years before the events of Falcon and ELEMENT WIELDER. It is a novella prequel to Element Wielder!!!!**** On planet Va'...
1.1M 70.7K 64
*WATTPAD FEATURED STORY 19/07/2018* Maliha is a wanderer. She has been for the past 3 years. Her journey began the day the man she loved betrayed her...