Teaching Mia

By MCRomances

Fed up with her disheartening life in NYC, Mia takes a gamble and embarks on an invigorating journey abroad t... More

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 - A Day in the Life
Chapter 2 - Surprise Encounters
Chapter 3 - Saving Mia
Chapter 4 - 21 Questions
Chapter 5 - New Horizons
Chapter 6 - Letting Go
Chapter 7 - Case of the Mondays
Chapter 8 - Noches en Madrid
Chapter 9 - Stripped
Chapter 10 - Home with Leo
Chapter 11 - Confessions
Chapter 13 - "Studying"
Chapter 14 - Cinderella
Chapter 15 - Coming Undone
Chapter 16 - The Road Less Traveled
Chapter 17 - Shanghai, Baby!
Chapter 18 - The Shanghai Confrontation
Chapter 19 - Cramming
Chapter 20 - Facing Fear
Chapter 21 - Music is the Answer
Chapter 22 - Eres Mia
Chapter 23 - Revelations
Chapter 24 - Jet Lag
Chapter 25 - The Last Tears
Chapter 26 - Time Flies
Chapter 27 - Wait For Me
Chapter 28 - Interviewing
Chapter 29 - Birthday Girl
Chapter 30 - Re-Conquering
Chapter 31 - Hangman
Epilogue
Acknowledgments
Character Interview with Mia & Leo!
Prequel - Brown Eyed Girl
Author's Note
Stealing Emma - Chapter 1
Chasing Sofia - Prologue
Loving Olivia - Chapter 1
Snow Anthology
Bonus Chapter: Panic

Chapter 12 - Reality Bites

392K 9.6K 1K
By MCRomances

"Are you okay, Mia? You seem a tad jumpy," Leo said as they drove to school the following Monday morning.

He had insisted he pick her up today, and well, every other day of the week for that matter. It was an offer she simply couldn't resist.

Mia looked down and noticed she had been tapping her leg repeatedly against the floor seat. She immediately stopped and looked over at Leo.

"I don't know, I'm kind of nervous. It's just...a lot happened this weekend and I'm sure people are gonna give me strange looks or ask questions that I don't want to answer. Normally I wouldn't care, but people love to gossip around here," Mia explained.

"Just ignore them, Mia. That's what I do. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to."

"What if they ask me directly though? I don't even know what to say. I mean, what's the story?"

"Don't worry about it," Leo said simply.

"But I do worry. What if they ask..."

"No, that's what you tell them. 'Don't worry about it'. It's none of their business."

"That works?" Mia asked skeptically.

"Like a charm. It's a polite way of saying shut the hell up, and people usually do."

"Do you want to try it out?" Leo asked.

"Um, sure."

"Okay...Let's see," he said pausing to think. "Hey Mia, so you and Leo huh? Oh my god, he's so hot," Leo said imitating a California valley girl.

Mia burst out laughing.

"C'mon Mia, get in character. This is serious business right now," he said playfully.

"So Mia, are you guys like an item now? Are you getting married and having lots of babies?" he said raising an eyebrow.

Mia took a few seconds to compose herself, before answering that question. "Don't worry about it."

"What happened with Johan? I heard he was a total douchebag and Leo defended your honor," he said with a slight smirk.

"Don't worry about it," Mia answered more confidently. That was an easy one for her.

"Good, much better," he said satisfied.

Mia thought she was off the hook, so his next question took her by surprise.

"Where did you learn to dance like that? I mean you guys were practically having sex on the dance floor," he said accusingly.

"Leo! No we weren't," she protested.

"That's not the right answer."

Mia crossed her arms. "Don't worry about it," she said between her teeth. "You think people really think that?" she added, her voice full of concern.

"Quite possibly. We kind of were," he said grinning.

Mia gasped. "It's not my fault people don't know how to move their damn hips around here. People dance like that in New York all the time and it's completely normal."

"So you normally dance like that?" Leo asked.

"No, of course not. I guess I just got a bit carried away with you," Mia said shyly.

Leo lifted up a hand. "Hey, I'm not complaining. Just bringing up things people might ask so you're prepared," he explained as he pulled into the parking lot near school.

He parked the car effortlessly and looked over at Mia. "I can't wait to dance with you again," he said touching her cheek.

Mia felt her cheeks flush. "Oh my god, this is so embarrassing, Leo. I feel like I'm in high school all over again."

"It will be fine Mia, I promise. If you don't make it a big deal, then it won't be."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," she said sighing. "Can we talk about one more thing before we enter the battlefield?"

"Of course," he said chuckling.

"Please don't be offended, but do you mind if...I mean, do you think we can...take things...slow?" she said nervously.

"Do you have any idea how adorable you are?" He leaned in and gave her a chaste kiss on the lips. "The answer is yes, I'll be on my best behavior. You can always be honest with me Mia, and I won't take offense," he said warmly.

"Thank you, Leo. I want you to be honest with me, too."

"Okay. In that case, we have to haul ass because we're going to be late for school."

"Are you serious? I didn't even realize it!" she said jumping out of the car.

Leo laughed and pulled her quickly towards the school building. Just as she suspected, every single person that passed by stopped to stare at them. Not wanting to bring more attention to herself, Mia remained silent.

Before she knew it, they arrived to her classroom. Leo's expression was apologetic as they heard people whispering behind them.

"Remember what I told you, okay? You'll be fine," he said kissing her forehead, before walking down the hallway to his classroom.

Not wanting to enter her classroom just yet, she stayed a few moments by the door until she watched Leo disappear into his classroom.

"Already love struck, huh Mia?" she heard someone say behind her. She didn't even bother to see who it was and walked into the room.

She was glad when she ran into Victoria once inside. That is, until she started talking.

"Tú! Why haven't you answered my messages? I've been worried about you all weekend! The only reason I didn't come knocking down your door is because Omar said you were okay. Don't think you can get away with it, missy. We're going to lunch and you're spilling the beans," she rambled.

Before she could answer, the last person she would have ever thought approached her, sporting a very black eye. Did Leo do that to him? Mia winced, and took a step back.

"Did you have a fun weekend with prince charming, cupcake?" Johan said icily.

"Don't worry about it," she said with a tone of indifference and turned her attention back towards Victoria.

She looked back at Mia wide eyed, stifling a chuckle.

"Alright, everyone, take your seats. I'm sure everyone's weekend was fantastic, so let's jump into today's lecture," Professor Davis called out.

Mia quickly made it to her seat, thinking she had never been so grateful to start a lecture in her entire life.

Even though a lot of students complained about his mood swings, Mia really liked this particular professor and enjoyed his class thoroughly. He was one of her few American professors, and his style of teaching reminded her of her classes at NYU.

He was also pretty entertaining as he resembled the comedian Tracy Morgan, and Mia repeatedly caught herself imagining him on Saturday Night Live skits when he would speak.

"Now, who can give me a quick summary of the eBay case?" Davis asked.

Mia sighed as 20 hands flew up in the air. That first question was always the easiest to answer, but she never had the guts to go for it. Instead, she decided to focus on the lecture with a limited attention span.

Class was over before she knew it, and Mia decided the computer lab would be a great spot to kill her 15 minute break and avoid people at all costs.

Just as she was heading out, she heard someone call after her. "Hey Mia, was wondering if you could give me some private dance lessons some time?" An Irish accent curled the words.

Mia turned around to see Charles looking at her, an impish expression on his face.

She was about to tell him off, when his gaze fell behind her and he stilled. He immediately walked away without saying another word.

Mia turned around to see Leo leaning against a column outside her classroom, his expression fuming.

Silently, he walked towards her, grabbed her hand, and pulled her towards the stairwell. He stopped on the second floor, and practically ran towards the bathrooms. He pushed her into the first one he found open, and then shoved her back against the door and locked it.

"Leo, what are you..."

He interrupted her by crushing his lips against hers, kissing her deeply. At first Mia was too shocked to move, but his kiss felt so good, she quickly gave into it.

While their first kiss had been gentle, this was nowhere near that. It was full of need and an edge of possessiveness. It felt almost desperate. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her against him. His arms wrapped around her back and it was only then that she felt him relax.

"I'm sorry, Mia. I never thought..." he said breathless against her neck.

"It's not your fault, Leo. Honestly, I had imagined much worse."

Leo sighed and shook his head. "Well, I'm glad at least it wasn't as bad for you," he whispered.

"What did they say to you?" Mia asked.

"It doesn't matter. They won't be saying anything again, okay? I'll make sure of it," he said running his fingers through her hair.

She nodded, but cringed at the thought of what people had said.

"Do you want to get out of here? We could skip class and go somewhere for the rest of the day...anywhere you want," Leo said.

"That sounds extremely appealing, but I don't think we should. It will get people talking even more."

"I'm beginning to hate everyone in this stupid place," Leo said grumpily.

Mia laughed. "Really, everyone? Including me?" She always thought it was amusing when people spoke in absolutes.

Leo smiled for the first time. "Except you," he said giving her another kiss.

Mia looked at her surroundings and noticed they were in the same bathroom they had been in before.

"Did you choose this one on purpose?" she asked grinning.

Leo's smile widened. "I guess it keeps calling my name. Maybe we can get a plaque or something to put on the wall."

"At least some flowers," Mia said.  Looking down at her watch, she added, "And a clock. We should go. We're going to be late."

"It's so easy to lose track of time with you," Leo sighed.

They exited the bathroom and thankfully there was no one outside. They went back upstairs to their classrooms and she noticed the hallways were eerily quiet.

"I'll see you later, sweetness," Leo said walking towards his classroom.

Thinking she was beginning to love the sound of those words, she was about to enter the classroom when she noticed the door was closed. Debating whether she should try to go in or not, she placed her hand on the doorknob. Professor Davis came into view and shook his head, pointing to his watch.

Understanding she was too late, Mia nodded and walked away. She looked over to Leo's classroom and saw that he apparently was let in.

Frustrated, she slunk down against the wall and sat on the floor of the hallway. She sighed as she realized she would have to wait until the class was over to collect her belongings inside. Leo's offer of ditching class suddenly didn't seem like such a bad idea.

She reached towards her pockets, and fortunately found she had her phone on her.

As she unlocked her phone, she heard laughter erupt from Leo's classroom. At least someone's having fun, she thought to herself.

She decided to catch up on email. Scrolling through her messages, she realized she still had to write back to her mom.

She would be so proud of me right now. Getting kicked out of class for making out with the school hottie, she thought bitterly.

A message suddenly popped up on her screen from Leo. Speaking of the devil.

"Did you make it?"

Shaking her head, she simply typed back, "Nope."

Her phone buzzed a few seconds later. "What? Davis didn't let you in?"

"Nope," she wrote back again and leaned her head against the wall.

A moment later, she heard a classroom door open and close but didn't pay attention to it.

"You really must hate me right now," Leo said.

Mia's eyes widened. "What are you doing out here?"

Leo grinned. "Bathroom break," he said.

"I'm glad to see you got a better deal than I did," she grit through her teeth.

"Not completely. I did have to sing in front of the entire class for being late."

"You're kidding, right?" Mia said in disbelief.

"I wish," he answered.

"What did you sing?" she asked, her curiosity overriding her anger.

"Hakuna matata," he said laughing.

"Very fitting," Mia answered. "Is that why people were laughing? I would have died," she said.

"It was worth it," he shrugged.

"This day just keeps getting better, huh? I guess I'll go hang out in the library...see you later?" she said getting up.

"Of course."

She started walking down the hallway when Leo caught up to her and spun her around.

"No goodbye kiss?" he said with puppy eyes.

"No, I'm mad at you," she said, swatting his chest.

"For what?" he said surprised.

"Are you kidding? For being late! I've never been late before. I can't charm people like you do to let me into class. I came here to study Leo, not all this other nonsense," she said flustered.

"God, you're so sexy when you're mad," Leo said playfully.

Mia crossed her arms and stomped her foot. Realizing she was being childish, she turned around again to leave.

It wasn't long before Leo caught up to her, and turned her around again, this time planting a huge kiss on her lips.

She should have pushed him away. She should have told him to apologize. She should have told him he was being cheeky with her. But none of that happened.

As Leo deepened the kiss, she heard a door fling open and she froze.

"Miss Fuentes! I didn't let you into my classroom so you could make out in the hallways and interrupt my lecture all over again," Professor Davis scolded.

Mia instantly became crimson red as she turned around to face the professor, along with the 44 other students snickering behind him in the classroom.

"I'm so sorry, professor. I..." She felt her composure begin to crack and couldn't form another word.

Leo took her hand and moved protectively in front of her.

"Mr. Durant. I presume you also have a class you should be in?" Davis said addressing Leo.

"That would be correct. I would also say I'm sorry, but I'm not," he shrugged.

Mia gasped as he continued. "Can you really blame me? I mean look at her. You know how it is," Leo said completely shameless.

Professor Davis sighed. "Don't push your luck me with me, Casanova. I don't want to see you around here distracting my students again," he said sternly.

"Well, it would only be one of your students, but you have my word it won't happen again," he promised, looking at Mia who had her eyes glued to the floor.

"Would you care to join us this time, Miss Fuentes?" Davis asked.

Mia's head shot up, looking at the professor incredulously.

"Mia, you don't have to..." Leo began.

"I would love to," she interrupted him. She shot Leo a death look, before dropping his hand and waltzing into the classroom.

She heard a chuckle behind her and could have sworn Davis said something about a doghouse as he shut the door. She almost glanced back at them but instead scrambled to take her seat.

The classroom was immediately filled with catcalls and laughter. Mia felt herself sink into her seat as she thought this had to be the most mortifying moment of her life.

"Okay, everyone can settle down now," Davis yelled out. And just like that, he continued with his lecture as if nothing had happened.

Mia spent the remainder of the class pretending to take notes, doodling in her notebook, and plotting all the different ways she could kill Leo. She didn't look up once.

When class was finally dismissed, she was already picturing herself taking the forsaken bus back home when Professor Davis called her over.

"May I have a word with you, Miss Fuentes?"

Getting embarrassed all over again, she walked over to him as the last of students were leaving the room. "Professor Davis, I can't even begin to apologize for earlier," she began.

"Water under the bridge, Mia. I'm actually doing you a favor right now."

"A favor?" she asked, not understanding.

"I'm saving you from further comments from your peers," he explained.

"Oh. You heard that?" she asked, blushing horribly.

"Every word. You would be amazed at what us professors hear you say. Apparently, you're the talk of the town," he said amused.

Mia's eyes widened. "So embarrassing," she mumbled.

"It will pass, trust me," he said reassuringly. "Although I am glad to see that you're interacting more with the student body. I've noticed you mostly keep to yourself."

"You noticed that too?" she asked with her eyes still wide open.

"Like I said, we know a lot more than you think. You're a smart girl, Mia. Probably one of the smartest in the class. The few times you participate, other students stop to hear what you have to say. That says a lot. They respect you, even if it doesn't seem that way at the moment. You just need to show it more, let them see who you really are."

Mia's expression must have been shocked since he continued. "Yes, they give us your files too, so I know your pedigree. You have a lot of potential, Mia."

"Thank you, Professor. That means a lot to me," she answered. She just couldn't believe what he was telling her.

Mia looked around the classroom and noticed it was empty. "Well, I guess I can go now that the coast is clear. Thanks again, Professor."

"Don't mention it," he said warmly.

"Also, take it easy on the boy, okay? He's obviously crazy about you."

Mia's jaw dropped, and then she laughed. "I'll keep that in mind."

She walked out of the classroom with a renewed spirit, never imagining she would have had a candid conversation like that with a professor in a million years.

One of the expressions her mom frequently said came into mind. No hay mal que por bien no venga.

She smiled contently at the thought that something good had indeed occurred despite all the bad. As to how she would handle Leo, well, that would be a whole other story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

638K 15.8K 44
Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's only getting started. While everyone is out...
1.4M 32.1K 44
The Wattpad draft! Not the final version. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Never had a one-night stand," "A one-night stand huh?" he smirked, "And what...
24.9K 1.9K 31
||Wattys 2022 Shortlist|| Kian Advani was a closeted queer in his high school. Always in denial of his true feelings and emotions. So much so that h...
3.9K 596 35
[COMPLETED] Life has been easy for Zoe. She names it, she gets it. Clothes? Done. Shoes? Done. But things that matter like freedom? Nah-uh. So when...