Crowning Essence ( Crowning S...

By SahiraJ

When the tides palpitate by the moon, their disarray plagues the city of Veer in Noorenia and their people, w... More

Pronunciation and Language Guide
Chapter 1: Thirst be Quenched
Chapter 2: Ripples

Chapter 3: Black Ice

22 3 11
By SahiraJ

Below the moon one with hooves stood upon a bed of autumn leaves. Oranges and browns contrasted to the black of his skin. The feathers which sprouted from his shoulder bones opened up like the expansive night. He was awaiting Lexa for details. She'd told him earlier that something was going to be started. He didn't need to wait any longer. His purpose would be fulfilled. He was unsure how long he had been standing here, where the mansion behind him stretched out like an obelisk.

His head turned to the sky. What was he waiting for? He had this hollow sensation above his heart. An emptiness for someone he needed to see. His head turned, both ears and horn catching a glimpse of moonlight. The snow started to fall and speckled his body like stars. The black unicorn's eyes met with the green of Lexa's.

"Obsidian, are you done staring into the sky yet? We're going." Lexa's voice wrung with enthusiasm.

"We're ready?" The wind played with Obsidian's mane as it circled his head like the leaves at his hooves.

"I have someone you need to meet first." Lexa turned and walked back to the mansion.

As he began trotting down the small hill after her, his heart pounded. Somewhere within his very being, he knew whoever it was, it was not the one his heart had been waiting to see.

Obsidian folded his wings as he walked through the door after Lexa. The massive black door opened up to a luxurious villa. The hall lead to the living room, where Zul Sharr sat at on one of the black sofas. He was hunched over. His fingers steepled and his arms resting on his knees. Rana was folded in the maroon loveseat with a notebook and pen in hand. She turned her head as Lexa spoke.

"How is our swimmer doing?"

"She's been asleep in the room since you've been gone," Zul Sharr said as he stood up and walked toward Obsidian.

"Oh. Well, I'll tell her to come down and meet her partner." Lexa's expression was marked by her amusement as she headed to the kitchen. "But first, I need a treat!" She peeked her head from the wall and then entered the kitchen.

Obsidian's hooves clopped against the brown glossed floor.

"So, how's it like to finally be in on the plans?" Zul Sharr asked as he smirked and wrapped on arm over Obsidian's neck.

"Useful." Obsidian replied and shook his head. The melted snow had run a passage through his mane.

"Uh, yeah. You've been waiting a long time too." Zul Sharr breathed in through his nose and folded his arms across his chest. "Haven't you been up to anything while being here?" He'd been craving to talk to another man. Even if that man was a male unicorn with wings. He'd take whatever he got.

"Just gathering information, and training. This is the first time Lexa has me working with all of you." Obsidian said as he and Zul sharr stood in the middle of the living room.

"Well, come on, get your energy up. Personally, I can't wait to learn about blood manipulation. Although it sounds rather scary." Zul said and widened his eyes at the thought.

Obsidian glanced at Zul and then at the stairs. "Have you been trying to awaken the princess?"

Zul Sharr pressed his lips together, forming a straight line. After a moment's pause, he spoke. "Yeah. I've tried Lexa's magic. Nothing's been working. I've decided it's time for me to do something. Maybe I just need to learn how to manipulate iron when it's in someone's body. It'll get easier to do it when someone's encased in it?" Zul Sharr almost felt easy going as he spoke to Obsidian. He hadn't had many male friends to speak to. When he was living as a prince, he had a few people he knew. Most didn't know him too well. They just saw what he showed them. His humorous, empathetic and helpful side. But, no one knew about his mother's abuse, or the numbness he felt, the anger that chewed him from the inside, except for one boy. But, he'd lost contact with that friend a long time ago.

"Sometimes the truth starts as an empty feeling inside us. It's waiting for the other part of the truth that has real shape. Like a puzzle piece." Obsidian said calmly and faced Zul.

"Woah. That's really deep, my zaan. Maybe you're right," Zul Sharr said just as Lexa entered the living room.

"Tonight, Amaya will be our catalyst. There has to be sacrifice

in order to cause discord."

Zul Sharr cringed at her words. "I want minimal bloodshed, Lexa."

Lexa had a red lollipop in hand. "Oh, Sire. How else will we catch attention? It's like we're waving a treat at them." She waved the lollipop in front of his face.

Zul blinked at her and pushed his head back.

"Temptation will lure them in and then when they think they'll get it..." She licked the candy and popped it into her mouth. Lexa's lips curled up her face as if they were the body of a snake, fitting the venom in her voice. "They're trapped."

Amaya opened her eyes. The browns dull, yet the specks of light that sat over the colour seemed to tremble. She sat up as her burgundy hair fell over her shoulder like a curtain. She wasn't sure when her braid had unfurled. Amaya groaned as she stood up and walked toward the door of the bedroom.

It's time Amaya. Come down stairs and meet your partner. Lexa's voice echoed in her mind. Among the distant thoughts of her mother, her sister and her fiancée. She could hardly grasp the memories. The smell of sea water, the glittering stars in the sky muddled her mind. She thought she could taste the salt and that distinct taste as you would drink water and it would quench your thirst.

I don't need a partner. Finding the fox is my business. Tell me what you want, first. So that your plans are met. Amaya replied back as she opened the door. It sounded a small clunk. She stood straight.

How wise. You and your partner will be playing with the water tonight. The swamp will be your playground.

Be specific. Amaya said, her voice sounded grating in her mind. She walked towards the white marbled stairs.

You're no fun. Lexa's voice said back to her. Amaya could imagine her pouting at her.

Come downstairs and I'll reveal our plan. Lexa's voice faded from her mind.

The thought of her friends entered Amaya's mind next, and then her family again. Fortunately, she had a week off of school since it was the fall. Her friends were also all busy with their jobs, so if she didn't call them in a month, they wouldn't worry. But, they would contact her sometime, and she needed to find a way home. At least after finding her fox of a cousin.

That fervent need to find him and seek answers was like a pulse in her heart. That was all she could mostly think of. Her mother didn't mind if she visited too often, since she knew Amaya was busy. But, what of her fiancée Tamaki? He would definitely call her. She fiddled with the ring around her finger on her left hand. She didn't have anything with her. She'd left everything at the beach. The beach. Panic rose in her, heat that radiated in her chest. Soon, the panic was swallowed up by the need to hunt the fox.

***

"And you said you saw this girl here?" An officer asked as he stood in front of a woman. He kept his shoulders straight and he stood with his legs wide apart. He kept his hands in his pockets.

The words police line do not cross repeated over a yellow line of tape. They circled one area of the beach close to the shore. A team of investigators were standing inside the line. A small blue bag was plopped in the middle of a pink blanket. Granules of sand speckled the items. A white umbrella printed with hearts lay next to it, it had fallen as the wind picked up.

"Yes. I'd seen her with that bag, I'm sure of it." The woman folded her arms against her chest and her voice wavered as she spoke.

"When did you last see her?"

"I saw her walk by some children playing, just over there farther down the beach. The girl came to this beach frequently. She'd order from my ice cream cart every time she was here in the evening. This time she didn't and now this happens." The panic in her voice trembled.

"Okay, ma'am. We will look into it. Thank you for your time."

"No problem. Please, please make sure she is safe." She said as she walked back toward the road and to her cart to close up.

"Sir, we found her ID in the bag," An investigator said.

The officer walked over to the investigator and took the card from his fingertips. "Amaya Koizumi. Alright, let's notify her guardians.

Amaya's mother had been in the kitchen laying out dinner.

"Finish your salmon and then you can have some strawberries." Mrs. Koizumi poked Rin's cheek and then passed Rin in her chair swiftly to lay a plate of Gyoza. They were fried dumplings which were Rin's favourite.

A knock sounded on the door.

Mrs. Koizumi lifted her head before her eyes fell to Rin who was spooning some of her soup.

When she reached the door and opened it, it was a police officer.

"Evening Ma'am." The officer tipped his black hat. "Sorry to disturb you tonight. Are you Mrs. Koizumi?"

"Y-yes. Did something happen?" Her mind jabbed a painful thought. That Amaya was in danger.

"Ma'am, we found your daughter's bag, towel and an umbrella on the beach. We have a witness who says she may have disappeared. Has she returned home?"

Mrs. Koizumi's chest tightened. She battled to keep her composure. "Disappeared? She— She lives in her own apartment." She said her voice quaking as disbelief rattled her mind.

"Visit her apartment and try to get in contact with her. If all your attempts to contact her are exhausted and you cannot place her, please don't hesitate to call us."

"Yes, officer. Thank you." Mrs. Koizumi could hardly breathe as the officer stood back from the door. "Wait, what about Amaya's things?"

There was sympathy within his eyes as he spoke one last time. "We have kept the items in case of an investigation for clues. Have a good night Ma'am and stay safe." He bowed to her and walked down the hallway.

Mrs. Koizumi returned the bow before he left and slowly closed the door.

"Mama? Did something happen?" Rin asked as she stood at the kitchen's entrance.

"Don't worry my little one. Have you finished dinner?" She asked and smiled faintly at her.

"Yeah, most of it, mama. I really want those strawberries, so I'll finish it." Rin beamed at her and skipped back to her chair.

After dinner, Mrs. Koizumi had tucked Rin into bed. She was on the phone with Amaya's grandma.

"Mama? Could you come over tonight to take care of Rin? I need to go somewhere."
"Is something wrong, dear?"
"It's nothing, mama."
"I'll be there. Don't worry about Rin."

"Thank you. I'll see you when I get home." Mrs. Koizumi Breathed out.

It was nine at night when Mrs. Koizumi reached the door of Amaya's apartment. Amaya had given her mother the keys so it was easy for her to visit when she wanted to.

Her heart slammed against her ribcage and she was nearly in tears as she turned the key and turned the knob. She swung the door and swiftly closed it.

"Amaya?" She called out. It was late, so she must have been in bed. She rushed to the bedroom and knocked on the open bedroom door. There was nothing. Amaya wasn't here. The bed was empty, and as she searched with teary eyes, she found the whole apartment devoid of her daughter.

She slumped on the couch and wiped her tears. She couldn't even reach Amaya by phone. She'd tried three times. Since her belongings had been on the beach, that meant her phone was in her bag too. Mrs. Koizumi stood from the couch and rushed out the apartment.

When she got home, she spoke with her mother, who insisted to stay a week, since Rin had school holidays.

Mrs. Koizumi couldn't sleep. Not when she couldn't place her daughter's whereabouts. An idea popped into her mind and she had to try it.

When her mother fell asleep, she stood up from her bed and pulled out the drawer of her side table. She had kept it under lock and key. Inside a brown box, she had kept a pair of blue tear drop shaped earrings. They had been given to her by her own grandmother. Her pulse sounded in her ears and even in her finger tips as she gripped the box. She sat in on her bed and rushed to her door. Her room was too far from the other bedrooms, yet she peeked to see that no one was awake. With careful movements, she closed the door and lifted the earrings from the box and wore them. She thought of Amaya. The way her soft voice sent calm to her heart, her steady steps as she would walk to her. A bright smile that lit up her world. "Amaya?" She spoke in a whisper. The earrings began to light up. They were the only connection she had to Amaya, since she owned the sister pair. The jewellery was imbued with the living pulse of Noorenia itself. Almost like a phone, except in the form of jewellery. "Amaya? Can you hear me?

***

Amaya had just reached the top of the stairs when she heard a voice enter her mind. This time it wasn't Lexa's.

"Okaasan?" She said, echoing her mother's whisper.

"Can you hear me?" Her mother said.

"Yes. Yes, I can hear you." Amaya said. A drop of joy smattered her voice.

"Oh.. Amaya. Where are you?"

"I'm in...another place. Mama... I'm in Noorenia. I'm all alone, mama. I'm scared." Amaya's voice trembled. Most of Lexa's hold on her faltered. She'd been cold after waking up.

"Amaya, my sweetheart. Please. Are you okay? You're not hurt?"
"No. No, I'm not hurt." Amaya backed up into the wall. She didn't want Lexa or the others to hear her.

"Amaya. Listen. Find Kagura. She's your aunt. Find her. She lives in Veer city. Remember that. She will help you."

"Mama... I will— wait, no. I can finally get answers! I need to find my cousin. He's a fox. Did you know? He's the one who attacked me when I was younger. I need to know." Amaya said.

"Amaya. Please. I know it hurts, but find Kagura."
"I need answers. I need them." Amaya said her voice lowering in her desperation.

"I will respect your decision, Amaya. But, please, promise me you will find her. Kagura will keep you safe until you can find a way back to Togenkyo."
"I promise. I need to find the fox first."
"I love you, my Mei Mei."
"I love you too Okaasan. Take care of Rin! Take care of yourself." Amaya's chest rose and fell rapidly as her gaze kept returning to the stairs.

"I will. Take care!"

Her mother's voice faded and Amaya turned to her side against the wall. She wiped the tears away. That's when she felt that strange coldness, and heat. As if her body was being frostbitten. The hold of the shadows Lexa had put over her froze her over.

"The fox... I must find him and then that woman, Kagura." Amaya's soft voice faded and her voice lowered, harsh and cold like ice as she made her way down the stairs.

Amaya's steps were as fluid as the black dress of shadows that fitted around her body. Each step rippled the fabric and seemed to lick her legs.

"Here's our water elemental. It was a pleasure for you to join us." Zul Sharr said as Obsidian turned his head to her.

Obsidian took a few steps toward her, but then halted as Lexa joined them.

"Amaya, this is Obsidian. Your partner." Lexa raised her eyebrows and gestured toward the unicorn.

"Hmm? He's a unicorn." Amaya said, bewildered by his appearance. "He has wings?"

"Yes. He's an angel too." Lexa placed a hand on Obsidian's shoulder. "I don't like the other form," Lexa muttered.

Obsidian raised his right leg and pushed his neck back as Amaya walked over to him. Her steps were slow and quiet. She seemed more of a shadow than a human as she neared him.

"Who are you exactly?" Obsidian said as she placed her hand with a gentle swipe over his nose and the other cupped his cheek.

"Wow..." Amaya whispered and then blinked at him for a few seconds in silence. "A wayfarer seeking answers, and a water elemental who's tired of the currant taking her to lonely depths."

"She's a poet too, huh?" Zul Sharr said and grinned as Rana side glanced at Amaya and frowned.

"I miss the fear in her eyes." Rana's husky voice made Obsidian's neck shiver.

"Well, you two have a lot of time to get to know each other, so let's not waste precious time." Lexa said as she flicked her red locks.

"I agree. Lexa, what did you want to accomplish?" Amaya asked. Her hands were still touching Obsidian. He was unsure of her at first. Now, something, very deep inside his heart, a small voice which was muffled, said she was not a foe. She was a calm soul, just here at the wrong time, in the wrong place.

Lexa's sinister smile crept up her face and her features darkened from her lust for chaos. "You will be going to Gaudalupe Swamp. There, raise the tides and stain the waters with blood. That will be enough, then our plan will begin."

Amaya nodded her head and her fingers finally left Obsidian's mane. She had been toying with his velveteen nose and his silky hair.

"What will I be doing?" Asked Obsidian as his eyes fixed onto Amaya's dress. The thing seemed to be alive and breathing.

"Your time will come. That's just part of my plan. Now, make haste." Lexa said.

Amaya's soft voice reached Obsidian's ears and he wished it was another's. "May we go?"

Obsidian nodded.

Amaya climbed onto the unicorn's back and stood tall. She turned the reins which were attached to a red necklace and guided him to the right. They turned and his hooves clicked against the floor as they reached the door.

"Wait for us at the swamp." Zul Sharr said, as he opened the door. "Then, we'll let you know what's next."

"Mm." Amaya nodded as she patted the side of Obsidian's front leg. "Lead me to the swamp, Obsidian."

"You will have to keep a tight grip on those reigns, Amaya the wayfarer." Obsidian said as he galloped off into the night, both becoming a part of the darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...