Wake. UP. [Book Two]

By excuse_my_charisma

Mariah is the daughter of Lisa Lovely and Chresanto August. Because of the terrible relationship her parents... More

Wake. UP.
Nothing Wrong With Being Different...
The Final Straw
The Prince and The Pauper
Mr. Perez
He Really Cares
Father Figure
Shadowing
Pinky Promise
Broken Promises And Tech Class
The Hangover Prt. 1
Binding, I Mean Bonding
Love Potion 24
The Hangover Prt. 2
Children Are Everything
First Class Trip To Hell
Mary Had A Little Lamb
Baby, I Want You
Birds & The Bees
Poolside Ambitions
I-I Did What!?
Playing With Fire
Forced Love Or No Love
Jealousy Looks Good On You
A Sick Game Called Confusion
What's Done In The Dark...
...Comes To The Light
Second Chance [The Truth]
Welcome Home, Mija
A Letter To My Unborn Daughter
Getting Back To Me
Epilogue
☯bonus☯
Last Dedications & Appreciations
Book Three!!

An Artist's Excuse

993 24 5
By excuse_my_charisma

April 13th 2029

I woke up with a huge headache. But it wasn't just a simple headache either. More like a terrible migrane. I didn't even wanna get up, but I had to get Mariah to school. I know how she could get, if things don't go her way, temper tantrums and extreme fits. I'd blame it on her emotional disturbances, but....I don't know.

Getting out of bed, I showered and dressed plainly in all black. Lately, I haven't been that "Misfit" I usually portrayed, but that's because I have a great responsibility now. And taking care of a disturbed child is tiring, not allowing me time for myself, or friends. I can barely focus on work, let alone anybody else. I really need to prioritize. After I was dressed, I noticed Mariah had beaten me downstairs, again. Honestly, I think she gets up early because she doesn't want me to know that she doesn't eat. The sad thing is, I do know because she looks weaker and weaker every day. I don't understand why she does it, it's probably torture for her. And if I pressure her on the matter, either she doesn't want to talk, or she gives a bullshit excuse.

"Buenos días, Mr. Perez! Breakfast?" Marcelena greeted me with a full plate of pancakes and huevos y bacon. I gladly took it, not seeing Mariah.

"Gracias, Marcel. Where's Mariah?"

"No se. I thought she was still in her room."

I shoved a fork full of eggs in my mouth, before getting out my seat. I traced back upstairs, and into Mariah's room. The door was cracked open, and I knocked upon peeking my head inside.

"Mariah? Are you up?"

No answer. I pushed the door open and took a single step inside.

"...G-Go a-a-away..."

I stopped and looked around the dark room. I couldn't find the light switch, so I turned on the lamp that sat on her desk. I saw the covers on her bed flinch back, and I knew she was hiding. I sighed before walking over and sitting on the bed.

"Mariah, come on and get up. You're gonna be late."

"...I-I-I d-do-don-t c-ca-care..."

She was crying, and I became concerned, yet disoriented. I thought she loved her new school.

"Mariah, what's wrong?" I tried to touch her, but she cringed. I bit my lip and ran my fingers through my hair.

"....I-I d-do-don't w-wa-wa-wanna g-go t-t-to s-s-sc-school..."

"Why don't you want to go to school?" At least she was talking to me.

For a while she didn't say anything, but she did pull the covers from her face. I looked in her red, puffy eyes seeing how fragile she really was. Okay, fine she doesn't have to go to school. I guess I can take her to work, cause I don't trust her at home. She could have a whole conniption and no one would be here to make sure she wouldn't hurt herself. Speaking of, I can tell that bruise is almost done healing.

"Mariah....please talk to me."

She rubbed her eye, then pointed to an area on the floor. I looked and saw a pair of her underwear. A puzzled look crossed my face. Looking between her and the article of clothing, I didn't understand. She started crying again and turned away from me. I stood off the bed and walked towards the piece of clothing, seeing a big red mark. I covered my mouth then slowly backed away. I don't think I can do this.

"Well, uh.....isn't this supposed to happen?"

"....N-no-nooooo...."

Her crying caused her to hiccup uncontrollaby. I ran a shaky hand through my hair, feeling numb. I don't do, periods.

"But...you're in high school now..."

"I-I-I n-ne-never g-g-got i-it t-ti-til n-n-now...." She chimed. I felt bad but at the same time, really uncomfortable. I'm an only child, so I never had to go through anything remotely close to this. Plus, it never dawned on me that she was a late bloomer, until now. There's no way I'm bringing her to work now. Maybe Marcelena can handle this, cause I sure as hell can't.

"...Okay, okay....I'll let you stay home, but just this once. I'll see if Marcelena can stay and take care of you."

She didn't say anything, she just groaned in pain. I felt bad, I wished there was more I could do for her, but obviously, this is not my field of expertise.

º

º

º

º

º

º

I pulled into my personal parking space, right between Myles' and Ray's cars. After getting out and locking up, I casually walked into the lobby, giving a small wave to Angela. She was busy on the phone, so all I got was a smile. I rode the elevator to my floor. Once there, I entered the studio and got right to work.

"Hey, hey, hey....look who finally decided to show up."

"Well good morning to you too Prince."

"Damn man, you look like shit."

I gave them all sarcastic smiles, heading straight for the coffee machine. The headache was going in and out. Maybe if I just wake up, take a Tylenol and get to work, I should be fine.

"Fuck all y'all. I haven't been sleeping."

"And why haven't you been sleeping?"

Ray walked over to me, leaning on the wall. I looked at him, then over, my shoulder.

"I don't mean to sound rude, but I...I just can't do this anymore."

I slammed my cup down, nearly spilling my coffee. Ray looked at me sideways before speaking.

"Can't do what, this?"

"No. I'm talking about Mariah. She's such a handful, I haven't slept in two weeks. I know being in this business means no sleep, but damn Ray! I am exhausted!!"

Slumping on the couch, I threw my heavy head back, wiping my tired eyes.

"Well, what does she do that keeps you up?"

"If she doesn't have a weird dream, she sleep walks. If she's not sleep walking, then she has some fit that causes her to stop breathing. And the weirdest thing is, she never remembers anything of what happens. It's like she's a normal teenager during the day, but...."

"Okay, stop. What do you mean, she has 'fits'?"

"It's like she falls into a coma, or becomes.....possessed."

He looked at me crazily, but it was the truth. It was the only way I knew how to explain what was happening. He just sighed and shook his head.

"Well, no one ever said raising kids was easy. Trust, I have three of my own and they're only in grade school."

I nodded, thinking back to Ray's two boys and a girl. I know he's not married, but he's been in, an on and off relationship with this girl he met at a meet and greet. Like everyone else, they thought everything would work out, but neither of them can go a month without trying to kill each other. It's just better if they work as two single parents.

"Yeah, but your kids are different. They weren't born with the health defects that Mariah was..."

"So then that's why you can't raise her like other children. You're only putting more work on yourself, than you have to."

With that final word, he walked off and back into the booth. I took in his words and sipped my coffee. Damn, I never really thought of it like that.

After recording, revising and rerecording, we were able to finish three new tracks. It was getting late and I thought I should probably call and check in on Mariah.

"Hello?"

"Marcelena? It's me, Jacob. I just wanted to call and check up on Mariah."

"Oh, señor! She isn't feeling too good!"

"Really? What's wrong, do I have to come home?"

"No, no...she will live, it's just she is having really bad cramps..."

I groaned at the mention of the word. I really did not want to have this comversation.

"...Okay Marcelena, just give her whatever she wants and I'll be home soon."

"Si señor. We'll be here."

"Alright."

I hung up and stashed my phone, mentally preparing myself for the rest of this studio session.

º

º

º

º

º

º

"Prince.....Prince. Jacob!"

My body jolted as I looked up from my position in my car seat. Myles stood outside my car, banging on my window. I groaned, wondering why the hell this nigga woke me up.

"...What?" My tone coming off harshly, as I rolled down the window.

"Why you sleeping in ya car?"

"Cause I'm tired. I'm not about to fall asleep at the wheel."

"Mhmm....Anyway, I came over to see if you were going to Club 24 tonight."

"Club 24?"

"Yeah, it's opening night tonight. Everybody's going, well everybody except Craig. You know how his wife is."

All while Myles spoke, my headache was coming back, and I just thought it was because I was irrationally tired.

"I don't know man, I gotta get home and check on Mariah. Plus, I'm exhausted..."

"C'mon on man, this is probably what you need! When was the last time you went out?"

"I can't just drop all my responsibilities Myles. I have a child now."

It's crazy how all of us have somewhat managed to grow the hell up and take on great responsibilities, all except Myles. That seems to be the life of a DJ and producer, always looking for trouble. He's gonna meet the greatest thing in his entire life, and I'm gonna sit back and watch how he loses it just because he refuses to settle down.

"It's just one night, Jacob. What's a Friday night gonna do, except make you reevaluate your miserable life?"

I grimaced at him. My life isn't miserable, just not how I planned it. I had dreams. I had dreams of getting married, with at least four kids. We'd all be living the good life, back in California so I near mi familia.

But I know that'll never happen, I'm too old now.

"My life's not miserable..."

"Whatever man, look you in or nah?"

"I'll think about it."

"Yeah, you do that."

He tapped my car, as I started it and sped out the parking garage and on my way home. When I got in, I dropped my keys on the table and kicked the door close. Strolling into the kitchen, I headed for the fridge. I pulled out a beer and uncapped it. I took a quick swig before heading upstairs. I peaked in Mariah's room, noticing how calm it was. The curtains swayed to the left from the open window, the setting sun casting dark shadows. I set the beer on the nearest table, before walking over to Mariah, who laid comfortably on her bed. I pulled the covers further over her body and she twitched, waking herself up. She rubbed her own tired eyes, before looking at me. Even though the room was slightly dark, her eyes dazzled a light brown color, something I've never seen before.

They were pretty.

"Hey....how you feeling?" I pushed her hair out her face.

"B-Be-Better..."

I gave a small smile before taking a deep breath.

"Good. Marcelena took good care of you, right?"

She simply nodded, sitting up and crossing her legs. I sighed before I began to speak again.

"So....I'm leaving you here with Marcelana again."

Her face twisted in a quizzical look, her head turned slightly.

"W-W-Why...?"

"Well, uh....I'm going out. With some friends, and children aren't allowed."

"S-s-so y-yo-you-you're go-going t-to a c-c-cl-club?"

"And what do you know about clubs?"

She shook her head, and pulled out her phone. She typed something really quickly, then showed me:

I wasn't born yesterday...

I chuckled at her reply, and looked at her facial expression.

"No, you weren't."

I put my hand behind her neck and kissed the top of her head. I don't know why I did it, it was just a reaction. Mariah didn't really do anything, she just looked at me. Her amber colored eyes sparkled in the dimly lit room.

"I should probably go get ready."

I stood and grabbed my beer off the table and closing the door on my way out. If that wasn't the most awkward conversation...

º

º

º

º

º

º

After waking from an hour nap, showering and freshening up, I was en route to Club 24. When I arrived, it was already too live. People were lined all around the corner, of course all younger than I. Obviously, some wishing to blow off some work-day built stress.

I was able to get in with no problem, as I was listed VIP. I was taken back from swarms of bodies rushing by, all dancing or conversing. I wasn't sure where to go, or what to do since I don't even remember the last time I even talked about going clubbing.

"Jacob!!"

I could hear my name being called, but I couldn't find where it was coming from.

"Princeton!"

A firm grip landed on my shoulder, and saw Myles with a glass in his hand, gold chains decorated his neck.

"What's up?"

"We all back here."

I followed him to a lounge area above the actual dancefloor. It was lavished with modern furniture and sci-fi inspired lighting. I was impressed.

"Ayy, you made it! My nigga!!"

Ray stood and gave me dap, then taking his seat back in between two model-type broads. I sat opposite him, while some girl wearing a tight black dress handed me a drink. I took it, watching as she walked back behind the bar.

"You only been here for two minutes and you already choosing."

"Nah, I was just..."

"Having some fun, which we are about to do. Gentlemen, a toast."

Myles held up his glass, while Ray and I stood. Our glasses matched Myles' and we waited for him to make the toast.

"To...success. May it last as long as we always remember the three keys; faith, family and friends. Keep God first, love family and never betray friends."

"To success." Ray and I chanted in unison.

We all took our drinks to the head, but I stopped once feeling another headache come on. I sat my glass down and rubbed my temples. I decided to sit, as mostly women, flooded into our lounge. The music got louder and the drinks just kept coming. I felt sick, but I couldn't move.

"Man, you alright?" Ray's concerned voice, faded in and out.

"...I don't know..."

"You should probably take it easy, maybe stop drinking. You had seven already."

"No, no....I'm-I'm fine..."

I tried to look straight ahead, but I was seeing double. No, triple.

"Jacob, whatever your trying to prove, don't. I'm gonna take you home. Where are your keys?"

"What's going on?"

"Something's wrong with Prince. I don't know what, but-"

"Man, stop tripping, ain't nothing wrong with him. He's fine!"

I tried to speak, but my words were slurred. They fell off my tongue like raging waters.

"Yeeeaaahh, Raaaaay I'm fiiinneee...!"

Standing up, I took off my jacket. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was standing on a tabletop, with one brown skin girl dancing in front of me, a dark skin behind me and a white girl on the side of me. A shot of hard liquor was in my hand and the only thing I was worried about was the music.

"SHABBA, SHABBA, SHABBA RANKS!! SHABBA, SHABBA, SHABBA RANKS!!"

We all sang along to the words, getting carried away. I was so lost in myself, that somehow I had fallen into a deep stupper. The party was over, the music was stopped. The club was shutting down and people had long since left.

"Damn, he is knocked the fuck out."

"He's probably wasted, too."

"What should we do?"

I heard voices, I could recognize them too, but I was so lost. My body was unresponsive, while my mind was sharp and fully aware. I felt trapped inside myself.

"Have one of the girls take him home."

"I don't know man, I mean he's got-"

"You know that's not his daughter. Why the hell should she care? Aye, Trixi!"

"Yes?"

"Can you escort Mr. Perez home please? Brotha had a little too much to drink."

"No problem, daddy."

I felt my body being lifted, then placed in what I'm assuming to be my car. People continued talking, then a door shut and I heard my engine.

"Damn, he is really drunk. That's usually how I like them..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.8K 2.6K 27
This story is about a girl named Zonnique Pullins (star from omg girlz) got pregnant by Chresanto August (roc royal from mindless ) at a wild party t...
66K 1.9K 8
(BoyxBoy) Sixteen-year-old Chresanto August and his parents move into a new house that is supposedly haunted, and Jacob Perez is supposedly the boy w...
One Plus One By Lady C

General Fiction

348K 12.3K 68
Everything seems perfect when Ebony meets Chresanto - but is falling in love around secrets even possible? ...
439K 14.6K 36
I'm the type of girl who's scared to stand up for herself, afraid of what would happen if I do. I'm the type of girl who let people disrespect her an...