MELODY (Book 1) ✓

De most_bay

I pledge myself to you, my love, My life is no longer my own, My afterlife is unknown, If I'm fortunate, If I... Mais

Epigraph
chapter 1 (Fired)
chapter 2 ( Some Hope)
chapter 3 (Stroll In Manhattan)
chapter 4 (The Café)
chapter 5 (Superman)
chapter 6 (First Sight)
chapter 7 (The Shelter)
chapter 8 (Wretch)
Chapter 9 (Investigation)
Chapter 10 (Addiction)
Chapter 11 (Weekend)
Chapter 12 (Books)
chapter 13 ( Sheep Meadow)
Chapter 14 ( Panic)
Chapter 15 (Akram)
Chapter 15 pt.2 (Akram)
chapter 16 (Spitting Cobra)
chapter 17 (Without A Trace)
chapter 18 (Return)
Chapter 19 pt1 (Friendly Dinner)
Chapter 19 pt2 (Friendly Dinner)
chapter 20 (Tuesday)
Chapter 21 (Serpentine Invasion)
chapter 22 (Reward)
Chapter 23 (Getting Ready)
Chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.1
Chapter 24 pt.2 ( The Movies)
chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.3
Chapter 25 (SMS)
Chapter 26 (Red-letter)
Chapter 27 (Heavy Birthday)
Chapter 28 (Threat)
Chapter 29 (Need For A change)
Chapter 30 (Breathing Spell)
chapter 31 (Bad Luck)
Chapter 32 (Hanging By A Thread)
Chapter 33 pt.1 ( The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.2 (The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.3 (The Last Straw)
Thank You Note!
Chapter 34 (Taken)
Chapter 35 (Respite)
Chapter 36 (Distraction)
Chapter 37 (Shopping Trip)
A/N (Reader's Love)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean) pt.2
Chapter 40 (Fears)
Chapter 41 ( The Police )
Interview With Akram!!!
Chapter 42 (Wounded)
Chapter 43 (Phone Call)
Dear Readers 😊
Chapter 44 (Unexpected Visitor)
A/N (Readers Love #2)
Chapter 45 (Chase)
Chapter 46 (At Home)
Chapter 47 (Conclusion)
Bonus Chapter!! *coming soon*
Epilogue (Declaration)
A Christmas Special!!!
*Just Making Sure*
Rewritten version #1

Chapter 39 (Confessions)

397 63 608
De most_bay

A/N
((silent readers only!!!)):
If you read this, please, only comment a single 'hi' on this note. I'm curious to know if my request will reach you. I hope you don't mind. :))

#######

I cowered in the corner of the sofa, hyperventilating and trying to keep my eyes focused on the fading surroundings.

The bubble of panic was growing fast. Burning my breath away. The room whirled around and around. The words from the serpent's note thrashed in my brain.

There's more where this came from...

Cops will be stoked when you try to explain...

The cops are here for me! Oh God! She wasn't bluffing! How did they know where I was? Is someone following me? Oh God, I'm going to jail!!

There was a faint clutter outside the room and footsteps approaching. The world quaked around me. Dark dots danced in the air, clouding my vision. A sickening whistle blew in my ears and my body trembled like a feather in the wind.

I'm done for... I'm done for...!

"Mel, what's​ wrong?" Akram's voice rang into the void.

"I---I..." I choked up.

"What is it? Are you sick?"

I couldn't breathe... I couldn't feel my lungs... I couldn't keep my eyes open.

"Lord! Please, not again!"

The walls warped into unusual shapes and I heard annoying hiccups that seemed to vibrate inside my chest.

"Melody!... Melody!" Akram echoed my name from a deep well.

I felt gentle taps on my face, warm fingers wiping my tears, but I couldn't make out Akram's face in the blur of the spinning room.

Shrinking into a quivering ball, my chest contracted and the lights suddenly went out.

.

.

.

.

When the lights came back on, I was lying flat on the sofa. Akram squatted on the floor next to me, his face completely ashen.

Frantically​, I clawed at the back of the sofa, fumbling my way to sit up straight .

"A-are... are they waiting outside?!" I gasped, my breath uneven. My eyes were unfocused. The walls kept shaking slightly.

"What?!" Akram's brows pulled together. His face was drained as if he'd seen a corpse come back to life.

"They're... here... for me, aren't they?" I sounded like a squeaky toy. My trembling hands flew to my mouth, trying to stifle the uncontrollable gasps. "I'm so sorry!"

I brought the cops to his place! I'm a criminal! I'll be arrested! My future is ruined... It's over!... My life is over!

Akram frowned, confusion drawn on his features. "What... are you talking ab---"

I jerked up to my feet, holding my head to stop the dizziness. My body swayed back and forth on a pair of cooked spaghetti noodles.

"She framed me, didn't she?" My vertex had a beat of its own, matching the flood of tears I couldn't control. "She hates my guts! That, that snake!... It's all my fault! I lost it... I gave her what she wanted," I babbled on, barely aware that I was revealing too much.

Akram sprang up. His arms hovered around me on each side. "What snake, Mel? I don't..."

The rest of Akram's words evaporated in the air. He was asking questions that I couldn't follow. My head wasn't all there.

It doesn't matter!... A life sentence is waiting for me right outside of the door!

What will Akram think?

He will despise me!

What do I do?

Run!

No! Turn myself in!

No! I need to explain I'm innocent!

Will he believe me?

Will the cops listen?

"She did it, I swear!" I defended, holding up a shaky hand. "She planted more drugs in the bed... or... or in my locker. She wants to destroy me... now the police are here to get me!"

"Drugs?!" He exclaimed. "Who is ..."

"Why are you keeping the police outside?" I shrieked, glaring at Akram's stiff posture. "You can't be in on this, can you? No! No, it's impossible. I'm so sorry!"

The thought that I'd accused him made me sick to my stomach. I hunched forward, wrapping my waist in my arms, my legs about to buckle.

It's Akram! He's the only one on my side! Why the hell did I blame my stupidity on him?!

"There's no one outside," Akram retorted. "The cop's gone!"

My jaw fell open. I pushed myself to straighten​ up, gawking blindly.

"Gone? You mean... gone?!" I raved, sweeping the back of my hand over my face as I tried to make sense of the simple word.

"Yes," Akram confirmed. "He left!"

"No! Please, no!" I cupped my head in my sweaty hands. "You lied to him to protect me? How could you do this? I shouldn't be here... You'll be accused of hiding a criminal!"

I leaped forward, bumping my shin against the coffee table. I almost fell if it weren't for Akram. He gripped my shoulders firmly and steadied me before I broke my face.

"Melody!" He growled, shaking me lightly. "For the love of God, stop rambling and listen to me!"

His fierce tone made me snap out of my tantrum. I stared like a dummy at his flushed face and his clenched jaws.

"Nobody's here to get you," Akram said slowly. He dropped his hands, his tone back to soothing. "The cop was here for my stolen car."

My eyes fluttered, brain cells frozen​ for a long moment.

"Your car was s-stolen?" I whispered.

"Yesterday." He nodded. "My cellphone too."

"Is that why you...?" My question came out hoarse and unintelligible.

"I didn't want to scare you."

The gears began to shift inside my brain, eyes growing wider and wider. "Were you attacked again?"

Akram let out a breath, pressing the bridge of his nose. "I'm fine."

"So you were attacked! She hurt you again because of me!"

"I'm still lost here." Akram waved his arms in frustration. "Who. Is. She?"

My head fell on my chest and I slumped back down on the couch, fresh tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn't meet his gaze anymore. I'd been a disgusting liar, and because of my lies, I'd brought danger into his life.

My fingers hurt, and I found that I was choking them to death on my lap.

"It's Vivian... The Cobra... She bullied me at the shelter," I confessed, words shooting out like ballistic missiles. "You were assaulted and mugged because of her... I lost everything because of her... Tina died because of her... and now, you were attacked again! It's all my fault! I dragged you into my blasted life and now you're paying the price! God, I'm so, so worthless! I wish I were dead!"

Silence stormed​ at me for what seemed like an eternity. My heart beating wildly, I glanced up, watching Akram's reaction. I had no idea what to expect, but he had every right to hate me forever...

Akram was as stiff as a statue. Fists clenched. A deep frown on his face. Lips sealed into a straight line. He looked furious.

I knew it! I just knew it! This is where he gets mad and tells me he doesn't wanna see me again!

His eyes darted to search mine for a long moment, a whole bunch of emotions rolling through them. I was shaking, but I couldn't turn away from him...

"You... were... bullied?" Akram asked through gritted teeth. It sounded more like a low snarl.

I gaped for a second of disbelief. "Is that... all you heard?"

Akram stroked his forehead and shifted his weight. "I heard everything you said."

I buried my face in my hands. "I wish you hadn't."

"Melody, look at me," Akram demanded, pulling my hands and gently helping me up. "It's not your fault."

"You're wrong... Everything is my fault." I averted my eyes. "This isn't even the worst thing. You have no idea what..."

"Not now," he interrupted. "let's make you some tea."

"But I don't ..."

"Please? I'll make you tea and you make me another coffee. I really need it." He bowed his head and shot me this irresistible look through his lashes.

"You're trying to distract me." I looked down and tucked my messy tangles behind my ears.

"No. I just want you to be at ease before you explain anything." I lifted my eyes to find a boyish smile peeking at me. "Can we make sandwiches too? I'm​ starving."

Surprising myself, my lips curved and I rolled my eyes at both of us.

***

Bit by bit, I told Akram about the shelter while he'd made tea and sandwiches. I focused on making his cappuccino, then doing the dishes without any objection from him.

I told him about the suspicions and rumors. I told him about Tina and Vivian. The bullying and the threats. How Vivian hurt him to get to me. I told him about the money she stole, the note, and the drugs she wanted to hang on me. I told him about Lynda and the last fight before I'd been expelled. It wasn't easy, but I really needed to get this weight off my conscience.

Quietly, he listened. I'd known I owed him this for a long time, but it got easier when we both were preoccupied with our tasks in the kitchen. Talking face to face wasn't my thing and he'd obviously noticed. He'd given me space and time to find my lost words.

Akram's questions were few. He'd wondered about Lynda and why she'd taken my side. How Vivian got away with everything despite the shelter being monitored. He asked about the note. He wondered if the management was involved in something big. I had to admit, he had good points, although I hardly could answer.

"You're not eating. Don't you like my tuna melt?" Akram asked casually, as if I hadn't just spilled my guts on him.

"Why aren't you angry?!"

He sighed. "You're expecting me to be angry with you?"

"Disappointed, at least," I replied, stroking the edge of my full plate.

"I'm actually... amazed. I don't​ know how you endured so much." He cleared his throat and took a bite of his sandwich.

"I hope you never do." I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"I know you're strong, Melody. But you have to let me do my bit."

"Do what?" I narrowed my eyes.

Akram leaned forward. "Do you trust me?"

"I thought I've already answered that." I smiled faintly.

"You know I'll never let anyone hurt you, right?"

"That's not the problem." I pushed my plate aside and clasped my fingers on the table. "It's just not safe."

"You don't think you're safe with me?" His forehead creased.

"I don't think you're safe with me." I shook my head regretfully. "You being mugged and then your car and who knows what else!"

"We don't know if it's connected," Akram assured me.

"It can't be a coincidence." My voice trembled. "What if she tried to hurt you again? What if Ash is on her list too? Oh God! Asha was supposed to call me when she arrives!" The thought occurred to me and I began to fidget on my chair, looking around and wringing my hands forcefully.

"Please, calm down," Akram patted my hands once. "India's a long flight. At least fifteen hours."

He was right. I hadn't thought about the flight duration. My mind was not in a good place.

"Unless the cobra has found a way to hijack the plane," I murmured.

"Man, that's too bleak!" Akram pursed his lips and placed a hand on his forehead. "Let's be reasonable, okay?"

Taking a deep breath, I folded my arms and let it out, waiting for his comforting words.

"I understand why you're worried," he began. "This... Vivian is sly and suspicious and she seems to target you for some reason. We don't know why or how big this is, but she can't fool everyone. She can't fabricate evidence and have illegal activities and get away with it. The police is not stupid and you've done nothing."

"You think I'm making a big deal out of this?" The mention of the police wrenched my insides, even though his words worked like a balm.

"Not at all. But she can't outsmart everyone." He shrugged​. "You know her full name?"

"Her real name is Velda Zimmer." I cringed. "Why?"

"We should know what we're dealing with." He stroked his chin, staring into space.

"How?" I blinked, feeling dumb.

"I'll try to dig up some information." He gave me a mysterious half-smile.

I scowled.

I hated the fact that he had to be involved, but there was no other way around it. I needed him badly. More than just a helping hand. Although I had no clue what he could do if I were wanted by the police. His words eased my panic a little, but the possibility was still looming.

"One more thing." He held up his index finger.

I glanced at him in anticipation.

Akram placed his elbows on the table, leaning slightly to look straight into my eyes. "School starts soon and I won't be around all the time." He sighed and brushed his hair back. "I don't think I can concentrate on graduating this year when I'm so worried about you."

My eyes expanded. "I'm​ so sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"It's not you, it's me." He scrunched up his nose playfully. "I just want to ask you for a favor."

"W-what is it?"

"I want to be your escort."

"Um! What?!"

"I mean, whenever you want to go out."

My eyes fluttered as I shook my head. "I don't get it."

"I can't stand the idea of you going out alone, not knowing what might happen." Akram stared at his entwined hands on the table, then raised his irresistible gaze to mine. "Please, I need to be there for you."

"You want to be my bodyguard?" I chuckled faintly.

"Kind of." His eyes sparked with a hearty grin. "You'll have your space and privacy. I promise, I won't be a pest. Only your escort and invisible roommate." He held up his palms together to convince me. "I'll only take you out and get you back home. We can work out a schedule if you want ." His voice rang animatedly, nodding his head and urging me to agree.

"You don't​ have to," I protested half-heartedly. "I have nowhere to go anyway."

I hated to admit this, but a part of me squealed in excitement for being close to Akram. He was my protective shield from the craziness of this world.

"You will when you return to work," he explained.

Another reminder I'm broke and useless!

"You know this is all temporary, right? Until I find a place to stay." I reminded him, along with the childish, squealing voice in my head.

"Until you find a great place to stay," Akram corrected, pointing a finger. "I wasn't joking when I said I'll follow you around like a guard dog."

"Fine," I sighed, which kind of seemed like an unintentional yawn.

A triumphant look radiated from his eyes. I could feel its warmth under my skin.

Dropping my face in my hands, I grazed the swelling of my eyelids with my fingertips. The head-throbbing was a little better, but I could hear my muscles screaming in pain. It'd been a long day...

Akram quickly finished up his sandwich, lifted his plate, and stood up. "Wait right here," he demanded, throwing the dish in the sink as he walked​ out.

I watched him march through the hallway and into his bedroom. Ten minutes later, the bedroom door was opened with a light 'pop' and Akram came out hauling a suitcase in his hand.

I jumped off my chair, grinding it sharply against the tiled kitchen floor. "Are you leaving?!"

"No, no, no. I'm moving my things nextdoor," Akram said, pointing to the living room. "You need some rest."

"No way! You're leaving your room for me?!" I asked a bit too high-pitched.

"I wouldn't call it 'my room' ​per se." Akram continued towards​ the last door in the hallway. "I spend most nights with Wolfie anyway."

"Seriously, I can sleep on the couch." I stepped closer, trying to talk him out of this.

"Hey, I need to be with Wolfie. He's my work partner. Plus, I'd rather crash on my comfy la-Z-boy." Akram dropped the bag and crossed his arms casually. "The bedroom finally got a respectable owner."

"I'm not any kind of an owner." I bit my lip and looked away. My ridiculous situation deprived Akram of his own privacy. And what made it worse was that he seemed happy and willing to give it up for me.

"Relax, Mel. I'm not giving up anything." Akram rolled his eyes and continued towards the living room.

How could he read my mind like that?!

"Need any help?" I followed him inside.

"Sure. Help me move your bag to your room, please." He winked.

I didn't miss that he simply called it my room while he'd refused to call it his. My gratitude for him tripled and so did my debt. I'd given him all I had, but nothing felt enough.

"I think I'll add the laundry to my list of chores," I stated while I grabbed my duffle bag off the floor.

Akram shoved his suitcase to the far corner of the room and turned around, eyes wide. "Melody," he protested.

"If you say anything more, I'll probably decide to cook too." I smirked, throwing the duffle over my shoulder. "Believe me, you don't wanna try that."

His eyes creased at the corners, shaking with laughter. "You're a tough negotiator."

"You said you want me to feel at home, right?"

"Right." He grinned. I could sense his exhilaration from the other side of the room. "Now we celebrate."

My eyebrows flew up.

"Time for ice-cream!" He beckoned me to follow him to the kitchen, but he stopped at the door and let me go out first. I had no idea how he managed to remember these courtly gestures no matter what.

Sitting in our usual spot in the kitchen, over two bowls of Chocolate chip ice-cream, Akram couldn't seem to contain the joy that was permanently stuck on his features.

I couldn't resist the icy treat this time. My system needed the comfort of sugary junk food.

"Akram," I whispered after finishing the first scoop and starting at the second.

"Yes?" He looked up, a spoonful away from finishing his dessert.

"What happened to your car?"

"I'm not sure." He licked the stain of chocolate on the corner of his mouth. "I lost my phone. I went into a shop to buy a new one. When I got out, the car was gone."

"Thank goodness you weren't hurt!" I exhaled, closing my eyes in relief.

I opened them to find a tender, indecipherable look spying on me.

"I'm sorry. It took me too long to set up the new phone and report the incident and then..." He broke off, looking down.

"Why was the officer here?" I asked and held my breath.

"He said they found it." Akram put his spoon down. "I'm expected at the police station tomorrow morning."

I nodded, the thought of him going to the police making me uneasy.

"Melody, I think you should come with me."

"What?! Why?" My pulse quickened, arms fell on the table, rattling the silverware. "Y-you want me to turn myself in?"

"No! Mel, trust me there's nothing to fear. I'll be there beside you." He placed his open hands on the table close to mine. "I'm sure there's nothing against you."

"B-but... they might be looking for me! Who knows what she told them? Or if she did." My fists clenched and I could feel the tension building up from the bit of my stomach, to the muscles of my neck. The taste of chocolate began to rise and burn my throat.

"She can't​ just lie to the police," Akram said, looking earnestly into my eyes, his hands automatically sliding to stroke my white knuckles. "Nothing's going to happen. And I need you to be my witness."

"Your witness?" I blinked once. "But I wasn't even there."

"I mean the first time. When this... Vivian person set me up in the café."

"Oh!" I grimaced, looking down at his comforting hands. The guilt of being silent all this time returned to scold me. "You never reported it?"

"I didn't think it was important then." His thumbs​ soothed the back of my wrists. "I think it's more important now."

"After two months?" I glanced up, surprised. "Why?!"

"I'm not going to allow this... low-life to use it against you," he stated in determination. "Besides, we might learn if there's a connection with yesterday's auto theft."

I breathed in and out for a minute, calming myself the way Akram had taught me. His words were reasonable. Very reasonable indeed. But this whole mess was overwhelming. I didn't seem to understand what was going on... and why?

Why me? Why now? Why everyone I care about?

"Akram, I'm... afraid," I confessed, my voice ragged.

Although, to think about it, I had been rarely 'unafraid'. Fear was what had defined my whole life and helped me to survive, but this time, it wasn't just selfish fear. I had others to fear their loss. Special people in my life. And it felt so different from before.

"Sweetheart," Akram whispered, his hands firmly enveloping mine. "I'm right here and I'll do anything to keep you safe. Don't you ever be afraid."

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.

I wish it were that easy!

*****

Hello dear ones

Sorry to keep you waiting for longer than usual XD

*So how was the chapter? What's your favorite part?

*Do you think Melody's​ fears are valid?

*Do you think it's true Melody could​ be arrested? Or is Akram right and there's nothing against her?

*Do you think Akram can protect her or is the situation bigger than expected?

*Any suggestion for a song for this chapter? I would really appreciate it.

#Please share your thoughts on the chapter and any remarks you wish.

Thank you so much for your patience and for sticking around all this time. I can't be more grateful to have wonderful readers like you.. :D

Much love and appreciation

Most_bay

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

4.6K 272 37
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...
4K 255 26
Melody Knight an eighteen year old girl that moved in her new dorm at UCLA University, she wasn't a social person because all her life she would stay...
130K 5.5K 41
"You can't just leave that easy!" He tugs on the grip on my shoulder to bring me closer to him. "Nothing comes easy, Golden Boy. I don't have a norma...
400 6 30
Melody has had to grow up quickly. With the death of her father, her mother has become an alcoholic and her brother a wandering stray that only comes...