1 | Gods & Monsters ✓

By hcwilhelm

[Featured on WATTPAD PICKS] The last thing you'd imagine Earth's General having is an identity crisis, let al... More

GODS & MONSTERS
ACT I
PRELUDE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
ACT II
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
AUTHOR'S NOTE
GLOSSARY
SOUNDTRACK
COVER EVOLUTION
PREQUEL BOOK

Chapter 5

532 50 219
By hcwilhelm

Downtown was in total chaos. Howls erupted from the east as wolf demons ran through the park, chasing after people, fighting those with swords. Fresh blood stained the colorful staccato and reclaimed wood in sweeps. Shops closed their windows and brought down the iron gates to shut the demons out.

Red flares lit the sky, blazing a small torch over the chaos that ensued. Fruit rolled across the cobblestone streets from broken vendor shops in the Mercado. Crimson water ran in the stone fountain. Soot mixed with swords mixed with bullets.

The UFE reclaimed this city from the demons forty-three years ago, and now the demons tried to snatch it back. Too many lives had already been lost.

A loud boom shook the earth. Dark smoke rose from the old bell tower—the Hub. Its only purpose was to project a dome over the city and protect the UFE with its barrier.

The backup generators should've kicked on by now. They always had an extra supply for emergencies like this. Did something happen inside? Ava ran towards it. A demon leaped out, stopping her dead in her tracks. It was not alone.

Four wolf demons' circled Ava and her new guardians. Their blood stained fangs viciously chomped like they were a pack of meat ready to be devoured inch by inch. Their serpent eyes were dead set on their limbs, ready to kill.

"Quite the welcoming committee," Mika remarked.

Ignoring him, Ava barked out orders. "We need to find out why the Hub's back-up generator isn't turning on, and how this happened."

Sam unsheathed his Katana. "You do realize we're stronger than you? This will be over before you know it."

That caught Ava's attention more than she'd like to admit. So boastful. He was skinnier than Marc and shorter, but the confidence never left his determined gaze. This might prove to be more difficult than Ava originally thought. She had to show them she didn't need their help.

"Strength isn't everything. I actually take pride in my swordsmanship," Ava said, summoning the Bō to her hand. Its black metal glinted under the moon's rays, replacing Sam's pure confidence with awe and caught Mika's sharp gaze.

"Want to make a bet, then?" Sam said, recovering quicker than she liked.

"Sure." Ava smiled. "The one with the lowest headcount buys everyone gelato."

She knocked down a wolf, displaying its teeth at her in challenge. The disturbed creature didn't back away without a fight. Her weapon morphed into a sword and she lunged forward. The sharp tip plunged into the demon's nostrils. Ash fell like snowflakes as the demon evaporated into smoke, killing it.

The twins held their own with Gio by their side. Without a moment's hesitation, Ava took off, gliding towards the Hub's doors, dodging, slashing demons on her way there.

Glass shards blanketed the automated doors. The Hub was wide open. She jumped inside. The foyer was trashed with claw marks scratched into metal, cracked tablets abandoned on the tile floor, and a strong scent of decaying flesh. She covered her mouth with her arm.

There were streaks of crimson all over the receptionist desk, but no bodies left behind. Ava was all too aware the enemy might be lurking in the shadows, but there was no time to pause. She needed to get the backup generator working.

A holler broke from the Hub's core room. Ava's instincts told her to hightail it out of there, but the fighter in her won over logic.

"Ava, wait up." Mika headed her way. "It might be a trap. We should stop and think about this first!"

"There's no time. We need to get the generator working. Now!" She picked up the pace and ran down the dark corridor.

Her shoes were covered in blood by the time she reached the Hub's core. Rocks and salvaged brick collapsed into the room, and broke the panel controlling the barrier. As she stepped closer inside, it looked like the chimney's glass tube was okay, sparking at random as it tried to re-ignite.

Ava quickly searched the perimeter. Quiet. No workers manning the equipment. No shoes or clothes ripped by the demons, yet there was a putrefying smell by the corner. Ava gagged. She couldn't see past the tube, the sparks barely lit the room.

Quick movement caught her eyes.

A tall figure stepped away from the shadows, shrouded in a dark cloak. They pulled out a crystal sword. The blade glistened off the sparks. But it was the black rabbit mask that had Ava stunned silent. It grinned a fearsome cut like someone took a knife and carved into skin. She wasn't sure if it was the fatigue or sparks dancing off the shadows, but she swore the smile moved across the mask.

She shifted the Bō into its sword form and took off towards the villain. They held a gloved hand to its grin and let out a childish snicker. Ava swung the sword straight for their neck. It sliced through, cutting wisps of an image as if they were only a mirage, and disappeared without a trace.

"What happened? Did you kill them?" Gio asked. He entered the room, along with Sam at his side.

Ava was about to respond when Mika answered. "No, they escaped before she could."

Was he standing there watching the whole time and not going to fight? The thought irritated her, yet reconfirmed the poor decision of bringing them to Earth.

She pulled out her phone and called Josh. He answered on the first ring.

"Hey, I need you to put out a search for someone dressed in a black cloak and rabbit mask, body type is tall, gender unknown. Their weapon is a crystal sword," Ava said, re-tying what hair had fallen out of her ponytail. "Also, where's the second switch for the backup generator, again?"

Voices and shrills screamed into her ear and created static interference as she waited for him to respond. "To the right of the goddamn glass tube," Josh yelled.

Damn. She was afraid of that.

He grunted into the earpiece. Ava imagined he cut down another demon dog. "You guys need to get that barrier backup ASAP. We can't hold off these mutts for much longer—watch yourself!"

Metal clang as Josh shouted. "You fucking academy brats are fighting like newborn babies. What the hell are your trainers teaching you? How to shit your pants—"

Ava hung up the phone.

"So, what did he say?" Gio asked, impatiently waiting. He tapped the flat part of his scimitar sword against his leg.

Josh reconfirmed her suspicions. The box was located in the far left corner, around a fallen wall, exactly where the rocks and bricks laid. With Ava's curvy body and baggy sweatpants, no way would she reach it.

She pointed at the box. "I need one of you to go in there and turn the generator on."

"Why one of us? Why can't you go?" Mika quickly questioned.

"I'll go. What do I do? Just flip a switch?" Sam sheathed his Katana.

After Ava went over a few instructions, Sam gave his jacket and weapon to Mika before heading towards the rubble. "Try not to die while I'm gone."

Mika ripped them out of his hands. Sam merely chuckled.

Sam climbed behind the sheet of concrete, squeezing between the walls and rocks. He was like a noodle, carefully fitting around each knot. Gravel shifted, a few rocks fell just before his next step. He stopped, fear flashed before his face, but he held it together.

When it was safe, Sam moved further in, tiptoeing over the twisted metal and their jagged edges. The box was within reach. Rocks tumbled from above, slid down on the slab. A chunk fell and shook the room floor and blocked his path.

Ava's heart hammered against her chest. It was going to collapse soon. He better make it out of there, or it'd be another death on her hands.

Sam stretched out his arm between the break in the rubble. His fingers were inches from the control panel. He could barely reach. He needed to get closer, and he did, but not without pushing into the concrete.

The rubble shifted, grinding against the metal and brick building support. Everything collapsed to the floor. Dust exploded into the air. She couldn't see anything.

"Sam!" Ava called out.

He didn't respond.

He had to be okay. There was no way some piece of concrete would kill a prince from Amaranthine. Ava wouldn't let herself believe it.

A gentle hand touched her shoulder. "He'll be fine," Mika said. "He's quick on his feet. And I doubt he got a scratch."

Yet Ava still imagined the worst.

The lights flashed on overhead just as the dust settled. Motors started up one after the other, sparking the barrier alive. Blue lights beamed into the sky.

Sam walked back towards them, a crooked smile plastered across his dirty face. He looked unscathed. Relief overcame Ava until she caught sight of the workers who died.

Severed heads laid in a pile, while their mangled bodies sat just to the right of them, and leaned against one another like a display. Their limbs were twisted up, protruding broken bones and red blood mixing with the foul smell of rotting flesh. They were already decomposing. That wasn't normal. This fight wasn't normal.

No Prim would do something this grotesque. Then who was it?

"Are we almost done?" Mika leaned on his swords like he was bored out of his skull.

Ava glared at him and sifted through all the events that happened between leaving the bedroom and ending here in the Hub. So far, Mika had been doing a poor job at being a guardian. If Ava were his instructor, she'd give him a big fat F.

"Why do you have to question everything in a time of crisis? You're just supposed to act quick, follow my lead, and do what needs to be done!" Ava snapped.

Shocked, the swords nearly fell out of his grip. It took a moment for him to collect himself, seconds to retort back. "Unlike you, I like to think with my head before getting myself killed."

"Yeah, and the longer you sit back to plan things out, you lose someone who could've helped you defeat the enemy. Or get the job done quicker."

His face boiled red. "And sometimes attacking without thinking will get you killed. What if they were a god? Then what would you have done?"

Now Ava was stunned. "What? What are you talking about?"

Sam sighed, fastening his sword back to his waist. "Mika believes the gods have something to do with this since they wear skull masks to hide their identities."

Ava glanced at Gio. He was thinking the same thing. This was absurd. She's never heard anything more ridiculous as a myth being the reason behind this invasion.

Her annoyance was mistaken for confusion because Sam continued explaining, "I'm sure Marc told you about them. How the gods have been around since the beginning of time. How they were created from fruit and have stars for eyes."

Ava rolled her hand around. "And how the gods protect the universe from the reapers who steal our lives. Yeah, yeah. We know the story. But that's it. Those are just stories to scare children into staying in their beds at night. They're not real."

"That's not how the story goes," Mika mumbled.

"Does it matter? We're at war. Someone who heard that story, or whatever story, is probably using it as a cover to attack the UFE. For all I know, they could still be in the city."

This wasn't the time to stand around chit chatting. She clenched her sword. "We need to get a move on."

Ava left the Hub's core room and out towards the lobby. Their steps were hot on her trail, crunching against the glass and gravel. They made it to the front entrance of the Hub in no time, but outside was worse than before.

Black soot stained the vibrant walls of the shops and cobblestone streets. Soldiers helped the wounded, but most appeared fine—breathing heavy but fine. No one else suffered at the hand of the intruder's sword.

Ava went from running to gliding above the Earth's crust in seconds. She sliced down any stray demons she came into contact with. These boots were made for speed and agility, but only this pair. Anything else and they'd burn at the soles.

Most of the demons were dead, but everyone was visibly shaken from the huge invasion. Gio wasn't far behind, keeping up through teleportation, which shouldn't be hard for him since it was a game they played all the time as kids.

The cool air from earlier turned into freezing temps, leaving small frostbites on Ava's skin and clothes. As they left downtown and entered the park grounds, they came into contact with demons wandering about the trees and bushes, looking for their next meal.

Ava slaughtered through the crowd. A huge puffball demon popped up in front of her. Skidding to a stop, she shifted the sword into two separate blades and cut it in half from the inward out. It burst into powdery soot and camouflaged the trees.

As the smoke dissipated, a pair of yellow eyes broke through the dust.

There wasn't time to dodge. Ava braced herself for the pain. Sam jumped out from the side and sliced the demon's neck with his Katana. It sprayed ink, splashing him and the water fountain nearby and the concrete benches surrounding it. Mika finished the demon off.

Like Sam had been doused in water, the demon's ink ruined his clothes. His face went sour as he lifted his arms up in disgust. Ink dripped from his jacket sleeves, hitting the grass in chunks. He tried rubbing off the residue, but it was hardening into a shell.

"That looks nasty," Mika said, making fake throw up sounds beside her.

Ava wasn't expecting both of them to keep up with her so easily when it took anyone else a long time to get the hang of it. It took Junipea at least a month.

"Yeah, tastes like crap, too." Sam spit on the ground.

"Is it too much for you?" Ava said, hoping he'd say yes.

A grin formed on his cheeky face, instead. "It's like rolling in mud. I can handle this."

Mika suddenly collided into Ava's side and pushed her towards an approaching demon. She knocked him back and swung her blades down to block the demons chomp. This brat will get me killed.

Their backs collided into one another the next time they attacked. "Stop getting in my way," Mika said. "Or prepare to lose an eye."

"Correction. You're the one getting in my way." Ava cut a demon down. "Hypocrite."

Mika turned around, completely ignoring the dangers of leaving his front vulnerable. "What's a hypocrite? Is that supposed to be an insult?"

She killed a demon that tried to attack him. It burst, soot covered the trees nearby. "It means you can't fight for crap!"

Gio popped up next to Ava looking less than pleased.

"Glad to see you decided to join us," she quipped.

"While you guys were arguing, I was taking care of all the demons," Gio said. "They're headed this way, and for whatever reason, they're attracted to you."

"Ha Ha, very funny." Ava stabbed a demon off to the side about to take Sam out. "But it makes things easier. I can take them out in one fell swoop."

Mika scoffed, "And how are you going to do that?"

"Watch and learn. My weapon can do more than a few parlor tricks."

Hot and electric, the ability of sixth sense rose inside Ava as she honed in on the demons surrounding the city. The number 162 appears in her head. Less than she imagined. Josh had been busy.

Holding the base, the depths of her weapon grew inside her stomach. She morphed the blades into its staff form, exposing a ball of energy so powerful, no one but Ava could control it. Small black triangles floated around the top, sealing its energy inside this alien metal substance.

This was the only time the power was fully exposed, this rawness, the time when Ava felt most connected to this weapon. Powerful.

Without hesitation, Ava slammed the staff on the grass. Energy burst through her in shock waves, out the exposed blue orb, and into the darkened sky. It crashed on the earth like lightning, killing every single demon in the city, with no human casualties in-between. The dust and soot covered them in a blanket of darkness as faint hollers and cheers echoed from afar.

Ava fell to her knees. The Bō clattered where the grass and pavement met. She hacked and coughed up a lung. With each breath, she inhaled the dust, and with each breath, she grew dizzy. Inhaling the dust, she grew dizzy. Ava used too much energy.

Except this wasn't normal. This was worse than before. Ava was going to pass out.

A hand tapped her cheek. At some point, she collapsed onto her side. Everything blurred, smearing Gio's face across her vision. "Ava. Wake up. Snap out of it!"

"What's wrong with her? Should I go get help?" One twin asked somewhere.

Gio reached over Ava, disturbing the dust. A leg bumped into her back soon after. "No! Just help me take her home, while I find her weapon. We can't let anyone else see this."

As Gio left back into the dust cloud, a pair of hands picked Ava up. Her arm was draped over one of the twin's shoulders. His clothes were clean, so it had to be Mika. He wouldn't look at her. Yet, he was like an open book as worry lines creased his forehead.

They left the park and arrived outside the door leading to their homes. Mika left a trail of soot as they stumbled into the foyer. Fortunately, the soldiers usually stationed at Ava's house were gone.

Darious was the first one to reach them as Caterina spoke on the phone, calling their personal physician. Mika pushed Ava onto Darious and ran towards the kitchen sink. He hacked and coughed up a lung, spitting up black ink.

There must be something in the demon dust.

Ava attempted to stand on her own, but she felt too weak. Her legs gave out. Darious caught her in time and helped walk her over to the couch. She hated his help, but she had no choice. She collapsed on the couch when they were within reach, quickly distancing herself.

He only lessened it and pushed some hair out of her face. "Just lie down. It's better if you sit still."

Black soot stained his pastel clothes, no longer bright and pastel. Some were in his snow-white hair. It didn't make her feel any better, only worse.

He took her head and gently placed it on a couch pillow. Not caring that she was trying to put distance back between them. Not caring how she flinched when his cool hand pressed against her forehead—which was actually soothing. That feels nice.

"She's burning up. We need to call someone. What about a healer? Does she have one?" His voice vibrated at the edge of her skull.

Gio and Sam stumbled in through the door with Ava's weapon in tow, hacking and coughing. Sam ripped at his jacket. The gunk's hardened into a complete shell by now, making it difficult for him to peel off. He threw it in the trash once he got free. "I think there's something in the demon dust. Even I'm having trouble standing."

His breaths came out shallow compared to Mika's. He was over by the sink drowning himself in water. Gio shoved a drinking glass before Ava's eyes. He tipped her head up and placed the rim to her mouth. "Here, drink up. The water is diluting whatever it is."

She took a sip. The water eased her burning throat and cleared her mind. As she guzzled it down, Leo Valentino, their team's physician, walked through the door. He dropped his leather satchel on the wood coffee table and flashed a small light over her eyes.

"How's she doing? Is she showing any signs or symptoms?" he vaguely asked Gio, but they knew exactly what he meant. Was Ava losing control? Was she showing any savage traits? Has she killed anyone? No, she hadn't. Yet.

"Is she going to be okay?" Caterina hovered behind the couch. She placed a damp cloth over Ava's forehead and took the empty glass.

A pulsating headache shifted through Ava's brain. She shoved the flashlight out of her face. Spots danced around Leo's crazy copper hair. "I'm fine. It just feels like I've lost a ton of energy," she said.

"But you did use too much energy today." Gio then turned to Leo who was taking out a needle. "We went on a mission earlier and she used the bow and arrow. And the swords from her weapon and gliding. Tonight she only used her staff, but still..."

Leo shined the light in Gio's face. He squinted from the sudden intrusion. "We've been getting reports the demon dust is affecting everyone involved in the fight. Some have been coming into the med centers for the same symptoms. Severe energy loss."

"It could be a hallucinogenic," Darious said, now standing by Mom. "There are plants known to cause hallucinations when carefully combined with saprophyte."

Saprophyte? As in fungus? Is he a plant specialist? Ava didn't realize she was leaning up until Leo pushed her back down. He prepared the needle, clear liquid slid down the point, making her grimace. She focused on the gauges in his ears.

"This would be a pretty susceptible drug then if it's only targeting a specific type of hallucination. Either way, I have to put you out. Do you give consent?"

Leo looked at Ava now. Every bone in her body wanted to run away, but she had to do this. Who knew what might happen if she didn't knock herself out.

Ava pushed her sleeve up. "Just get it over with."

The needle stabbed into her skin. It pricked and stung, she felt the medicine go into her veins—reminding her of the cool mint feeling she had when she lost control. Ava felt everything. How it flowed through her body until the drug took effect. How it brought a calm tiredness. How she drifted away on the slumbers of sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

746 236 17
"'I tell the stars about you' Ashlynn broke the silence after they had both been staring at the sky for an ungodly amount of time." Nothing has ever...
1K 53 12
Essairyn had never felt truly alive on Earth. It felt like something was missing ever since she was born, but even after twenty years of mundane livi...
430 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
301K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...