Who will Arise?

By MashBap

Waking up face down in mud sucks any day of the week. But coming around in the sludge of a strange realm... More

Chapter 1 & 2
Chapter 3 & 4
Chapter 5 & 6
Chapter 7 & 8
Chapter 11 & 12
Chapter 13 & 14
Chapter 15 & 16
Chapter 17 & 18

Chapter 9 & 10

4 1 0
By MashBap

Chapter Nine 

Begin challenging your assumptions. Your assumptions are the windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while or the light won't come in. Alan Alda

***

Their rations were depleted by the time they rounded the forest of Tavlala trees. Quinn was pleased when Gersha introduced him to the seeds of the seto-bush. It grew in sheaths, much like wheat. A handful of seeds turned out sweet and chewy when tossed in your mouth. He was ravenous, reaching to pick more as he chewed, while tucking more sheaths into his satchel for later.

In the past hour or so, they had been more watchful than ever, though no-one had sensed the enemy's presence since changing direction. Quinn didn't understand why they hadn't attempted to make contact with Yeb, who he presumed had been the ones stalking them—it was after all their goal, wasn't it? The foot of the mountain was now in view and Quinn spotted a dark patch that could be the mouth of a cave. He asked Zebbah about it and Zebbah confirmed his thoughts. They were in the clearing between the mountain and the Tavlala trees, and would again be able to spot trouble from some distance away.

They reached the cave without incident. Kau went in first to check that it was safe and called to them from the inside to enter. They moved inside, but stayed close to the mouth of the cave for light. Gersha suggested that they go to the river (which was apparently not far) to refill their skins before they settled down for the evening.

Kau overruled her suggestion immediately. "We are very close to the area where Nago is building the wall to trap the water. It is not safe to go closer."

"I agree..." Zebbah stopped short when Efost burst into their conversation pointing his fingers outside.

He put his hands up to the others, "Shhh."

They fell silent as Efost lifted his face and closed his eyes. It looked to Quinn like he was listening, or sensing something. He turned his head to the side and held there for a few seconds. Then he opened his eyes and pointed to his left while speaking to Zebbah.

Zebbah gestured for Efost to proceed and followed him outside again. He spoke over his shoulder, "Come, Efost hears a stream."

They walked out of the cave and turned right. Efost led them up a short slope. They climbed only a few minutes and then rounded a high rock. Quinn heard the clear melody of trickling water just as Zebbah gave Efost a commending slap on the shoulder. Zebbah crouched down to fill his skin from the crystal stream flowing out from beneath the rock.

"You heard this stream?" Quinn asked Efost incredulously.

Efost nodded proudly and Quinn couldn't help but smile with him. Efost was such an uncomplicated, easy character. He was friendly and eager to please or help. In what Quinn had seen of the little guy, he was very child-like, though not self-centered like most young kids he knew. When Efost was not busy helping others he was standing back to allow others to benefit from something rather than himself. Quinn could see that he had the others' respect and that it was (remarkably), not so much for his evident giftedness, than for his obvious goodness. The Tree People truly valued each other for who they were.

They stood around the stream taking in the scenery below. The short hike up had brought them to a height where they could see over the top of the Tavlala trees where they had originally planned to overnight. Beyond that was the forest with the wide, winding river to its left. In the distance, where the river disappeared around a bend, the top of Tibay was a visible reminder of their mission and the fact that so many back there were counting on them to succeed.

Quinn commented that the second sun was close to setting and asked Zebbah how their days worked.

"Let us return to the cave," Zebbah said "There I shall enlighten you," and then with his signature dry humor, "or bore you to such an extent that you fall asleep and wake well-rested."

Back at the cave Kau ordered Kreeno to keep first watch at the entrance and called the rest inside. The pitch darkness inside had them huddled together and moving slowly. The floor of the cave was soft, dry sand beneath Quinn's feet.

"Look in the direction that you hear my voice, Quinn. You might enjoy seeing this." Zebbah said mysteriously.

Quinn heard shuffling in the sand. Then, at the crack of two hard surfaces connecting, all he saw was a burst of bright sparks. The inside of the cave was instantly illuminated by a soft glow. He should have come to expect the unexpected by now, but so far this strange land always managed to catch him off guard.

A performance worthy of the silver screen unfolded right in front of Quinn's eyes —a rare performance, Quinn knew, because the performer was none other than the unpretentious Zebbah. Quinn stared into the soft glow in a dreamlike state and started when another crack sounded. It was immediately followed by more sparks. As the glow brightened, Quinn realized what was going on.

Zebbah stretched his arms out at hip level and moved his hands, palms down, around in lazy circles. The motion seemed to cause the sand on the floor to stir and rise up. A baseball-sized cloud of dust ascended as his hands turned so that his outstretched palms now faced one-another. The small cloud settled and hovered between his hands, which were continuously moving and manipulating the cloud into a perfect sphere.

Zebbah removed his hands carefully, the sphere remaining suspended in place before him, and reached into his satchel for two of the stones. Holding a stone in each hand, he held them up to the cloud and slammed them together. And there it was again. The sphere lit up with a bright flash. Then the glare subsided, leaving in its wake another perfectly round, glowing cloud. Zebbah's hands made an outward motion and, as if it had just been dismissed, the glowing mass of dust floated toward the ceiling of the cave.

Zebbah repeated the process three more times before he was satisfied there was enough light in the cave. Five glowing balls of dust now hovered above their heads, bathing the cave in light.

Quinn noticed he wasn't the only one who had been mesmerized. Gersha, and most definitely Efost, sported the exact same look of wonder his cousin, Elizabeth, had on Christmas mornings. Quinn suspected it was due to the fact that Zebbah wasn't one to often...entertain...with his gift.

Zebbah walked to the furthest wall of the cave and in the glow Quinn got a glimpse of the inside. It wasn't a big cave. In fact, it very closely resembled the inside of any of the rooms at Tibay. The high ceiling, which was about three times Quinn's height, made for a roomy rather than a cooped-up feeling. Zebbah lowered himself onto the sand, his back leaning comfortably against the wall. Gersha and Efost settled in the same position a few feet from Zebbah. Kau strode to the entrance and stuck his head out, presumably to check on Kreeno.

It occurred to Quinn how tired he was. He sauntered over to Zebbah and plopped down between him and Gersha. Slouching down into a comfortable position he rested his head back against the wall of the cave. He could crash for a week, but sleep eluded him. There was just too much going on. Next to him both Gersha and Efost appeared to have drifted off. After some time had past he gave up.

"Will you tell me about the suns?" he asked Zebbah mutedly.

"Can't sleep?"

Quinn shrugged.

"In short—and very basic—terms" Zebbah said "we have two suns, as you have pointed out." He was clearly relaxed, almost playful as he lifted his hands and started maneuvering the glowing globes above them. Quinn soon noticed that Zebbah was planning to use the globes to illustrate their world's position in relation to their suns.

"Our world revolves around our smaller sun, oliko, in an elliptical orbit much like yours, though in a six day cycle. One rotation around the larger sun, paliko, takes just over seven years in earth time." Quinn gawked as Zebbah motioned outward with his left hand causing one globe to separate and move away from the rest. "Because of its size, paliko raises the temperature quite a bit on days where our orbit takes us closer to it." Quinn's head was already spinning and it wasn't only due to exhaustion. "I will number the days to explain it to you. On days one and three our position to the two suns is triangular. Areas that are turned away from both the suns have a few hours of total darkness at the end of that day. On day two we move into a position to align with the two suns, with the smaller one in the middle." His hands continued in fluid movements and Quinn marveled as Zebbah's lecture came to life in mid-air before his eyes. "Day four we move towards the big sun again and get into position to align with and between the two on day five. On this day only one sun is visible at a time and we don't experience such high temperatures. We also have no darkness on that day. Day six—today—is much like day four, although we are now moving away from the big sun, not towards it."

Quinn leaned back, his mouth agape, taking in the incredible demonstration before him.

"Do your days have names?" he wondered out loud and then flinched at his idiotic question. Of all the astronomy queries he could have considered, that was the question that popped out?

Because I'm pretty much dead on my feet, he thought grimly.

"Riso, Ragon, Lish, Arama, Penee, Yat." Efost cut in, obviously not in dreamland as Quinn had been under the impression.

Gersha, eyes still closed, smiled at Efost's efforts to join in the conversation. She patted his shoulder and he beamed up at her. Quinn was struck again by the innocence and purity the boy radiated. He recalled one of the pearls of wisdom his father once dropped in a rare conversation: The fundamental difference between having a dog and a human as your best friend came down to one word: agenda. Efost was kind of like a dog-best-friend, Quinn mused —he had no ulterior motives or hidden agendas. How easy it would be to have a friend like Efost.

They sat in companionable silence for a while, each occupied with his own thoughts. Without a word, Zebbah looked up and stretched out his left arm towards one of the suspended globes. He brought the tips of his fingers together and retracted his hand swiftly, causing the globe to shrink and disappear as if it had been yanked into oblivion. He did the same with three others, so that with only two remaining globes dusk fell in the cave.

Zebbah shifted his lean limbs and lay on his side with his arm bent beneath his head. The others followed his example one by one. Kau merely closed his eyes where he sat. He would be taking over from Kreeno shortly. Quinn sensed Kau's unease about something, but would rather chew of an arm than address him.

Could he be expecting trouble?

Quinn closed his eyes and tried to regulate his breathing to help himself relax and fall asleep. He was bone tired and needed sleep more than ever. He lay on his back, with his one arm folded beneath his head. The silence was restful and he gathered that the others had no trouble drifting off. Sleep was a long way in coming to him, though, so he was relieved when Zebbah suddenly spoke in a hushed tone next to him.

"You cannot sleep." Zebbah stated.

"Dunno why," Quinn grumbled quietly, "I'm so tired I can't see straight." He was silent for a while and then he asked Zebbah something that he had wondered about often in the past few days.

"Are you afraid of Nago, Zebbah?"

Quinn heard the pain in Zebbah's hushed answer. He spoke openly about how difficult it had been to accept that Nago wasn't the boy who grew up before him, or even the young man who had left them years ago. Nago had evidently changed even more after leaving Tibay and Zebbah came to realize just how much after the attack on Shobu.

Zebbah continued by confiding that the fact that they didn't know what Nago was capable of saddened and concerned him. He wanted to believe Nago wouldn't hurt them, that the attack on Shobu had been an accident, a misunderstanding, but Quinn could see Zebbah knew the truth in his heart.

Zebbah turned on his back and Quinn saw him stare into the soft glow of the remaining two globes. He released a lengthy sigh. "So much agony would be avoided in life if one thing in particular could be prevented from taking root in our hearts. Do you know what that one thing is, Quinn?" Zebbah asked.

Quinn considered it. "Hatred?" he asked softly and Zebbah shook his head.

"Jealousy? Pride? Envy?" Quinn rattled on like a blindfolded kid trying to pin the tail on the donkey.

Zebbah smiled despite himself. Quinn knew that he had much to learn from Zebbah and pressing Zebbah for answers was futile. So he waited patiently, silently.

"Fear." was the only word Zebbah uttered. Quinn remembered that Zaqi had also spoken of the fear that drove Nago. "Fear makes us think and do things that are not based on truth, Quinn." He turned his head towards Quinn. "Do you know what presumption is?" Too tired to access his mental linguistic files to see if he could impress Zebbah with a definition, Quinn merely shrugged. "Let me explain: Say we are good friends that both value our friendship. One day you walk past me while deep in thought. You don't greet me, because you are so deep in thought. That could lead me to presume that you are ignoring me, because I must have done something to offend you. I might even get so presumptuous to believe that you are rejecting me as your friend entirely. Now I start having thoughts about you too: that you are touchy and childish to act in such a manner and not greet me. Eventually, I may get so worked up that, when I walk past you later, I may decide to ignore you too."

Quinn understood. "And I was only deep in thought."

"Exactly. That is what presumption does." Zebbah sighed again as if the universe rested on his shoulders. "Nago knows we have discovered the destruction he caused in the forest. His scouts obviously spotted us traveling in his direction too. My concern is that Nago doesn't know why we are here or what our intentions are. If he falsely presumes that we are hostile and intend to take revenge, perhaps destroy his dam, we could be in trouble." He sighed as if he only realized the gravity of his words then. "In your world, many wars have been started on nothing but presumption...presumption, most often fueled by fear."

"And we are willingly seeking them out." Quinn whispered.

"I would like to believe that..."

A commotion and angry voices outside had everyone on their feet in seconds. Armed with his lance, Kau was at the mouth of the cave in a few long strides. His deep voice exploded into the darkness. Zebbah called to the other three to stay in the cave as he rushed after Kau.

Quinn threw one look at Gersha and decided to take matters into his own hands. Gersha reached out to stop him, realized her attempts were futile, and turned to Efost. She focused her energy on calming the boy who had her left arm in a death grip and was talking in bursts of high pitched frenzy.

Quinn had barely taken a step outside the cave or he found himself at the business end of a sharp stick. He winced inwardly when his eyes followed the stick past the claw-like hands clutching it, to the sinewy bulk and, finally, the menacing face belonging to the tall bulk.

Another one spoke gruffly in their language and came to stand next to the one pointing the stick at Quinn's chest. They looked similar, but the one holding the stick was younger. They were probably related. From the neck down, their physique was somewhere between Kau's brawny bulk and Zebbah's lean, muscled frame; mostly resembling a human body. What rested on their shoulders was a different matter altogether. Although they mostly resembled the Tree People, these two differed in facial features, their black, beady eyes their most distinctive.

Heads, held up by thick, corded necks were of normal size and hairless, of course. Their faces were somewhat flat—perhaps the pointed flat noses just gave that impression—and their beady eyes were high up, almost to the sides of the head. It made their foreheads seem high and wide. The edges of their mouths were tilted downwards with thin upper lips that made the lower lip protrude slightly. If they had looked more human, they could have given the impression of sulking children.

Kau's outraged voice sounded to his right and he was caught between wanting to see what was going on and keeping his eyes on the angry one aiming to impale him. The assailant jerked his head towards the others and indicated that Quinn should join them. Quinn turned slowly, the sharp point of the lance never more than a few inches from his chest. He went to stand next to Zebbah, but the two strangers remained close.

Zebbah straightened himself to his full height and addressed them in a measured, clipped tone. One by one the lances hesitantly lowered. They didn't move away, but stood their ground. Apparently Zebbah still had some authority in Yeb circles after all.

Zebbah moved to where Kau was bent over someone. Kreeno was sitting down, leaning against the outside wall of the cave. His right hand clutched his neck where it met his left shoulder. Quinn remembered Shobu's wound when he saw the dark orange-yellow liquid seeping through Kreeno's fingers. He couldn't understand Kreeno's strained words, but the accusation in his voice was clear when he pinned the attackers with a severe glare while addressing Kau. Quinn counted seven armed strangers surrounding them in the mounting darkness. They looked haggard and shabby, and they seemed nervous. All, except for Beady Eyes, who had been the one holding the stick to his throat—he just looked vicious. Apart from the older version of Beady Eyes, they all looked to be about Kreeno's age.

Kau turned to the two Beady Eyed thugs and addressed the older one in a clipped tone, obviously demanding an explanation. His head snapped to the younger one who interrupted aggressively. Kau's glower intensified when the older one took a step back, as if to endorse the younger's authority. On cue, the arrogant youth took a threatening step forward and a loud argument erupted between him and Kau. Quinn thought for sure that, unless someone stepped in or distracted them, this could not end well. He looked at Zebbah, who was still crouching beside Kreeno, inspecting his wound. Desperation threatened when it occurred to Quinn that Zebbah was making no move to intervene.

Well, someone had to.

He raised his chin and loudly said the first thing that popped into his head. "Are you Nago's people?"

It had the desired effect. Everyone froze.

Argument forsaken, all eyes turned to Quinn.

Now what?

As if reading each other's minds, Kau and Beady Eyes each took a step in Quinn's direction. A strange emotion engulfed Quinn when Kau positioned himself between Quinn and the enemy. From the corner of his eye Quinn saw Gersha and Efost retreat cautiously behind him. Behind his back, he pulled Gersha closer by her hand to keep track of her position. Kau was shielding all three of them with his huge bulk.

"Stand down, Mishko." He commanded Beady Eyes in a low voice.

At the use of English, Beady Eyes—or evidently, Mishko—narrowed his gaze on Quinn. He barked something in his language, but Kau stuck to English.

"What do you want from us?" asked Kau. "Is this what has become of Nago? Does he attack his own people, no questions asked, like the devious hakan?"

Of course that got Beady Eyes' hackles up again.

Ah man! Kau—spreading the love wherever he went.

Mishko raised his free hand and jabbed a thick finger at Kau, raging like a machine gun. The muscles in his neck strained and bunched in fury. Quinn's unease grew as he saw the rest of the party growing agitated.

He was relieved when Zebbah straightened and approached them. He passed the raving youngster, entirely ignoring him, and stood before the older one. Everyone grew silent.

"Take us to Nago, Vesallo." Zebbah addressed the older one quietly and held his eyes. They looked to be the same age and Quinn suddenly remembered why the name sounded familiar: Vesallo and Zebbah were once friends. Silence crackled between them where they stood a few feet from Quinn. Vesallo tried his utmost to avoid Zebbah's eyes. Quinn saw a myriad of emotions flitting across both their faces: questions, accusations, loss.

Vesallo nodded stiffly and turned around to lead the way. One of the younger warriors braved a step in Zebbah's direction and raised his stick as if to escort a prisoner. Zebbah pinned him with one look and spoke softly, but sternly. The youth lowered his stick quickly and scurried away.

Two of the strangers reached for Kreeno to get him to his feet, but realized their mistake when Kreeno shot up and had the largest one to the ground with one powerful shove. In varying degrees of clumsiness, their adversaries bravely assumed battle stances as perplexed eyes flew to Mishko for direction. Clearly irritated at their lack of showmanship, Mishko barked a harsh order. They moved aside hurriedly, allowing their prisoner to pass. The sorry group of soldiers appeared ill at ease with their charge. They clearly hadn't had much training, but, sadly, looked ready to obey any order. Quinn was concerned. He had seen their eyes when Mishko spoke. Their biggest persuasion for obedience wouldn't be loyalty or purpose, it would be fear. And fear, Quinn knew, had a way of disregarding reason.

To Quinn, the young soldiers looked like they'd do just about anything to earn Mishko's respect...and he would let them.

Kreeno marched right up to Mishko. They looked about the same age. Whatever Zebbah had applied to Kreeno's wound had succeeded in staunching the flow of blood. It didn't look like the injury was bothering Kreeno, but Quinn didn't take it at face value—Kreeno wouldn't show these delinquents any weakness. He planted himself in front of Mishko and the two squared off. Still rooted behind Kau, Quinn resisted the urge to fidget to relieve some stress. Fortunately Kau said something to Kreeno under his breath and succeeded in distracting him enough to break eye contact. Evidently satisfied that, eyeballing Mishko to within an inch of his life, conveyed his thoughts on the matter, Kreeno turned away.

Mishko addressed his troupes in a clipped voice and they positioned themselves around the Tree People. It was an awkward situation. Technically, they weren't being taken against their wills, yet Zebbah and Kau were obviously willing to allow Mishko the illusion that they were his prisoners. Zebbah's objective was to see Nago and if it meant going along with Mishko's power trip, so be it.

Chapter Ten

Where destruction is the motive, unity is dangerous. Ravi Zacharias

***

He caught Gersha's arm just in time, as she stumbled over a tree root. Quinn was relieved when none of Mishko's minions reacted to the sudden movement. They'd been walking for long enough that the first signs of dawn were visible. The tension among them, though still palpable, had lessened. Personally, Quinn was so tired he couldn't care either way. He had never gone that long without sleep.

Vesallo and two others, another tall, angry-looking guy and an older one of average build, were leading the group, with Zebbah and Quinn right behind them. Gersha and Efost were following just a few paces ahead of a severely frustrated Kreeno and Kau. Mishko and the rest were at the back. He reminded Quinn of a great white shark with those tiny pilot fish always surrounding them.

Several thoughts mulled in Quinn's mind. Earlier, as they had marched on, he had risked quietly asking Zebbah about their abductors. The tall grumpy ogre next to Vesallo had swung around to intervene, but Vesallo had grabbed him by the arm and spoken harshly to him. Quinn had taken it as a sign that he would be allowed to talk, nevertheless he proceeded with care.

From what he had seen of Vesallo, Quinn believed that the guy was in an awkward position. Zebbah had confirmed to Quinn that Mishko was Vesallo's son, although judging by the way Mishko spoke to his father, the shoe of authority was definitely on the wrong foot. The shamed, apologetic looks Vesallo had been casting Zebbah's way, conveyed that there was much left unsaid between the two.

So, they were on their way to Yeb; to Nago. Quinn couldn't decide if that was really, really good or really, really bad. He knew the success of mission depended on Yeb accompanying them to find the Power of Light—whatever the heck that was supposed to be. If they only had a clue what to look for...yet it didn't seem to bother the Tree People as much as it did him. They were all happy to plough into dangerous territory...on the inspiration of someone who didn't think it necessary to come on the mission himself. Sure, there was a chance that the journey to find the Power of Light could end in reconciliation and mending fences, but Quin knew that wasn't guaranteed. The outcome would still depend on individual choices.

The river came into view. On their left they could just recognize the makings of a construction site.

"The dam," Quinn observed unnecessarily. The three strangers in front of them proceeded to the river, taking no notice of the scene to their left.

Evidently, Zebbah wasn't up to pretend-games.

"Will you tell me about the wall Nago is building, Vesallo?" Zebbah asked in English.

Zebbah kept his voice even; almost detached. It was wise of him, Quinn mused. They needed answers and getting riled up wasn't going to get them anywhere.

"Lei." Vesallo refused bluntly without breaking stride.

"Are you in agreement with Nago then, Vesallo?" Zebbah went on. "Do you support his plot to deprive my people, our people of their main source of water?" Vesallo flung Zebbah a cutting look over his shoulder, but didn't reply.

Quinn supposed Zebbah knew his questions were moving into risky territory with Vesallo, but he didn't relent. "Does anyone ever oppose him, Vesallo," Zebbah ploughed on, "or do they all follow and obey blindly...like you."

Aw, man, now you did it! Quinn thought in alarm a second before Vesallo flew around and descended on Zebbah with a snarling.

He grabbed Zebbah by the throat. Quinn had seen the strength in these people's hands first hand. Panic gripped him and he looked around desperately to see who would intervene. Instead of calling for help, Zebbah ordered everyone to stand down. His hands were down by his sides and he stood still, making no move to retaliate or defend himself.

Vesallo's grip didn't relax around Zebbah's throat when he brought his face inches from Zebbah's and started hissing in their language through bared, clenched teeth. Then, just as suddenly as he had attacked, he abruptly released Zebbah, swung around and marched on.

All eyes turned to Zebbah. He stood staring after Vesallo for a long time. Quinn saw a deep sadness there. Overcome, Zebbah walked on without saying a word. His hunched shoulders aged him right before their eyes. What had Vesallo said?

They continued in silence for a long while and didn't attempt to catch up with Vesallo. Deep rooted bitterness burrowed in Quinn's heart as Zebbah trudged on right ahead of him. He had no words with which to comfort, only anger that someone like Vesallo could put that look in Zebbah's eyes. He looked behind him and saw the misery mirrored in Gersha's. Behind her, Kau's head was turned to the side as he struggled to compose himself.

"What did Vesallo say?" Quinn asked Gersha. There was such a demand in his tone that Gersha knew it was futile to deny him, so she lifted sad eyes to his. "Zebbah's son, Leykin, left with Nago. He asked Zebbah to join them, but Zebbah would not. Vesallo just accused Zebbah of abandoning his only son."

Anger surged through Quinn and made him stop dead in his tracks. He'd hold his tongue on many things, but couldn't ignore injustice. "Was Leykin forced to join Nago?" he yelled to Zebbah's back, loud enough for everyone to hear.

Zebbah stopped, turned and just stared at Quinn for a few seconds. The he slowly shook his head. Quinn pointed a finger at Zebbah, "Yet you end up being the one accused of turning your back on them?" He said no more, but his raised brows were a speech all on its own.

Zebbah turned without answering and walked on.

"You have said enough, Quinn," Gersha beseeched softly when it looked as though Quinn wouldn't let it go. "Leave Zebbah now so that he can focus on leading us."

It wasn't right, but she had a point, though it was hard to let it go. Quinn nodded and walked on, wrestling with the unfairness in his mind.

Not too far ahead they wordlessly met up with Vesallo who was standing by a huge tree on the bank of the river.

A thick rope was secured to the tree and stretched all the way to the other side of the river. From the rope a platform dangled a few feet above the water, attached at the corners by four other thick ropes. Vesallo towed the platform towards them and climbed on. His weight threw the whole contraption off balance, tipping it severely to one side.

"Seriously?" Quinn asked exasperated, still needing to vent some of his pent-up anger. He eyed the strong current of the wide river. "That thing'll never hold. Why don't I just dive into the river and swim to the other side right now?" he added sarcastically,

"Why don't you?" Kreeno made himself heard with equal sarcasm.

Quinn ground his jaws. Even now, Kreeno was still hostile towards him. One would think the enemy's presence would inspire a sense of unity among them, but clearly Kreeno hadn't gotten that memo.

Gersha and Efost were the first to step forward, but Quinn quickly seized her hand to hold her back. She resisted by gently freeing herself from his hold and stepping up to join Vesallo on the platform. They made the whole balancing act look effortless, but Quinn wasn't fooled. He wouldn't leave Gersha to her own devices and, because Kreeno's sarcasm succeeded in sparking his pride, he stepped up without hesitation. They crossed the river at a snail's pace and jumped off on the other side without incident, before sending the platform back for the others.

When everyone was gathered on the other side, Vesallo took the lead again and headed further upstream without a word. After a mile or so he suddenly stopped and pointed to something ahead of them. "Dasho," was all he said and looked inquiringly between Quinn and Zebbah.

"The boy knows what to do." Zebbah declared curtly.

Everyone proceeded to stomp through the groping plants for the next few minutes. Although they concentrated on not getting ensnared, they went about it like any other run-of-the-mill task they had to deal with regularly. Clomping ahead, Quinn thought of the absurdity of it all and how—if he should survive—life would never be the same after his time spent in Zoay.

Having navigated the dasho successfully, they started up a steep incline. The river was still on their left. Mishko passed them and, without slowing down, addressed Vesallo and the other two with him. It sounded as if Mishko was giving instructions. Vesallo opened his mouth as if to protest, but then thought better of it and merely nodded.

Next to Quinn, Zebbah pursed his already non-existent lips and shook his head annoyed. Quinn hadn't seen Zebbah display much emotion—positive or negative—so a frustrated gesture like that spoke volumes.

As they rounded a sheer rock face Quinn stopped dead in his tracks and just gaped. His mind took a split second longer to register what his eyes were beholding. Beside him, the rest of his group sported much the same stances. For the moment, their current predicament was forgotten, shoved aside by the overpowering awe that filled them all.

From atop half-moon shaped cliffs, a wide river languidly overflowed the dizzying, sheer drop, pooling lazily at the bottom as though it needed the rest. It was unlike the gushing force of white water usually associated with a waterfall of that magnitude. Instead, it was a wide, translucent curtain lending the final touches to the mystical charm of the tropical sanctuary before him. The towering, moss-covered cliffs, about hundred yards up ahead, formed a breath-taking backdrop for the pool of water the river flowed from. On both sides of the main waterfall, tens of smaller waterfalls broke away and poured over the edge in thin, sleek slivers.

Quinn detected movement behind the veil of water. He narrowed his eyes to zoom in. An animal? He didn't need to speculate further as Mishko raised a fist above his head and held it there for a moment. Mishko's eyes were fixed on a point in the waterfall where Quinn had detected the movement.

A high pitched screech sounded from the other side and Mishko's mouth twitched into an unpleasant sneer. Quinn presumed they'd reached the tribe of Yeb's head-quarters, or at least the place where they would meet Nago.

Mishko turned his face and barked orders to his scraggly crew. They regrouped and formed a tight circle around the Tree People. Kau growled at a scrawny youngster stepping too close, and the poor kid almost swooned. Kau rolled his eyes and shook his head in derision.

"Are you hoping to impress Nago with this, Mishko?" Kau inquired darkly.

Mishko's head whipped around to Kau. "Be careful, Kauchema." He warned coldly in strained English. His eyes pinned Quinn, including him in the warning. Then he turned on his heel and started towards the waterfall.

Quinn looked straight ahead as he spoke under his breath to Zebbah, "This is where Nago lives?"

Zebbah nodded. "Stay close to me and say as little as possible."

# # #

Not knowing what kind of reception awaited behind the waterfall, the initial appeal of the surroundings diminished some. But seeing it up close, Quinn couldn't help the thought that heaven was being occupied by the devil himself.

Mishko lead them to a rock wall between two threads of water, overgrown with vines. He didn't slow down as he approached, just parted the dangling strands and stepped through. The slippery mud made Quinn tread carefully. Zebbah looked back and nodded to the Tree People before he followed Mishko. Quinn followed closely behind Zebbah.

Only Mishko, Vesallo and one of Mishko's cohorts emerged on the other side with the Tree People. They were in a shallow cave. Actually, more like an indent in the side of the cliff, with dangling vines and water separating them from the outside world. The space reached all the way behind the waterfall. Ahead Quinn could see a passage leading into the mountain.

"Come," said Mishko and lead the way down the passage. His voice had taken on a deeper tone of forced authority.

Vesallo requested politely that they follow Mishko, and Quinn wondered once more what a guy like him was doing among this bunch of losers. Although he'd upset Zebbah with his words back there and tried his best to remain aloof, Quinn sensed kindness in him. Was it only love for his son that had made him chose the path he did? Quinn filed the thought and intended to hear Zebbah's thoughts on it later.

They had only taken a few steps when a tall figure emerged from a dark passage. Zebbah's steps faltered. When Quinn looked at him, shock and pain rolled over his features in waves.

Zebbah stared at the young man approaching them, his body strung tight as a bow with tension. Quinn needn't even ask; the dark, wide set eyes and high cheekbones identified Zebbah's son without contest. Leykin's eyes darted around from person to person. Recognition shone in them as they rested briefly on each of the Tree People. He appeared painfully uncomfortable and started breathing heavily.

Zebbah asked something softly. The absence of condemnation in his voice and on his face stunned Quinn. Instead, he saw only love and concern. It sounded as if Zebbah was crooning softly to a wounded animal. His words seemed to calm Leykin somewhat.

Leykin nodded unconvincingly and lowered his head. Zebbah started to say something else, but visibly reigned himself in. Mishko barked something and Leykin swung around and disappeared hurriedly back into the passage. Mishko impaled Zebbah with a hard stare. Zebbah held his gaze and his unreadable expression deflated Mishko to some extent.

They continued down the short, musty passage. Just as it made a sharp turn to the right, it opened up to a massive cave.

"Silhem." Mishko said and strode on with the rest of the group staying where they were.

The enormous space they were standing in could probably house a half dozen Tibays in width. Stalactites hung from the high ceiling like grand chandeliers. Here and there it met up with stalagmites, rising from the sandy floor, forming formidable pillars. In some places close to the walls, several pillars were grouped close together and it had the effect of a separate room. Mishko reappeared from behind a massive pillar and headed towards them with purpose.

Quinn swallowed. What if they were forced to split up? What if Nago found out that he was the one who nagged the Tree People to go on this mission? From his experience, it seemed like a scapegoat would come in real handy to Nago...who better than a stranger?

Mishko paused halfway towards them and summoned them with a hand gesture.

"Do not speak unless I tell you to, Quinn. You don't know Nago and he does not know you. We do not need misunderstandings to make the situation worse," Zebbah said next to Quinn and Quinn nodded tautly.

It suited him. The bravery that had overcome him at Tibay seemed to have remained behind there too. The less attention he garnered, the better. His big mouth was what landed him in this mess in the first place.

Zebbah walked ahead of Quinn and kept right on when he reached Mishko, clearly expecting Mishko to catch up and direct him. Quinn noticed Mishko's annoyance. Mishko liked to control others. Zebbah just didn't feel the need to co-operate with the much younger one's bad habit. In fact, Zebbah's ignorance of Mishko's authority seemed almost too much for Mishko. How do you control someone who passively—yet quite obviously—refuses to be controlled?

Zebbah had played along when Mishko absurdly believed he had taken the Tree People prisoner. It had served Zebbah's purpose. But now that they were so close to having an audience with Nago, the time for games was over.

Mishko obstinately refused to yield. His gait was stiff when he started walking, but he saw to it that he stayed a half step ahead of Zebbah. Gersha and Quinn were on either side of a very nervous Efost. Kreeno and Kau were right on their heels, alert and prepared to do whatever it took to get them out of there if necessary.

Some pillars were clustered close together and Mishko cleared his throat before disappearing between two pillars that appeared to form an entrance. Zebbah followed right behind him.

Zebbah came to a standstill only a few feet past the entrance. From his position behind Zebbah, Quinn discreetly craned his neck to see. The cluster of pillars did indeed form a chamber. At the base of each pillar an armed soldier stood guard, rigidly facing the entrance. They definitely appeared more threatening than Mishko's lot.

Apart from the pillars, which were positioned to give the chamber a diamond shape, there was just the sandy floor and one other feature. A shaft of light projected from the lofty ceiling, casting a spotlight on the apex located on the far side of the entrance. On a bulky throne of timber—perched on a raised rocky bank—a rigid, upright figure sat ceremoniously bathed in light.

Of all the creatures Quinn had encountered in Zoay this one was closest to a human. His chin was raised so that he peered down his straight nose at them through cold, dark eyes. To the left of the throne Zebbah's son, Leykin, stood as if planted, looking straight ahead.

A movement in the shadows to the right of the throne distracted Quinn. The creature stepped partly into the light and her eyes immediately found Quinn's. The darkness in them caused a shudder to pass through him. Those eyes were so devoid of life, if they hadn't been focused on him as they were, Quinn would have thought her blind. Even from a distance, they seemed empty, yet filled with pure evil.

"Nago." Zebbah identified the one on the throne and snapped Quinn back.

Nago's high cheekbones, the color of porcelain like the rest of his people, were chiseled and his ears slightly pointed at the tips. His long, graceful neck lent an air of superiority, pronounced by the dark, heavy cloak draping his shoulders and covering him to the floor. He sat stiffly, his arms resting on the solid armrests. Everything about him exuded distrust and hostility. Quinn fought the juvenile urge to grab the back of Zebbah's tunic and hold on for dear life.

Nago ignored Zebbah, for his eyes were on Quinn. He didn't appear surprised to see Quinn, who had been entirely prepared to stand in the shadows and not draw attention.

Nago leaned forward suddenly and fisted his hands. Quinn was stunned when he started in perfect English. "I will speak the language for one reason," he spat vehemently, his cold eyes going from Zebbah to Quinn "so that no one will have reason to misunderstand what I have to say." He pursed his lips. "Come closer," he ordered and sat back again, once again in control.

Nago's disrespect chafed and Quinn knew it was deliberate. The conceited tyrant grew up in front of Zebbah, yet he addressed Zebbah like an underling. The group of Tree People, remaining close together, crossed the sandy floor and came to stand in front of Nago. His seat was raised purposely to position him to look down on them.

His voice was menacing and Quinn heard the effort it took for him to stay controlled. "Did you think that I would not find out what you were up to, Zebbah? That I..." his words faltered when his eyes landed on his sister for the first time. Nago's mask dropped for a split second as shock flared across his hardened features. Something vulnerable flashed in his eyes, but it was so quick, Quinn couldn't have convinced himself that it hadn't been his imagination. Fury instantly replaced it. Nago shot up and exploded.

"You think bringing her along will protect you from me?" he shouted.

From behind him, the eerie woman snaked one hand up Nago's arm. Her movements were liquid as she bent forward to whisper something to him. His anger visibly subsided. She straightened and Nago sat back down. Quinn regretted it the moment her gaze found his again. She was unlike any of the others he had seen. Her body was curvaceous, not lean. Skin the color of caramel displayed deep hues of copper and Egyptian blue when she moved—no, flowed. Her face was heart-shaped, with a full mouth above a pronounced chin.

A fine ridge, like a hard vein, ran upwards from the tip of her nose and branched out just above her eyes, extending over and around her head. Another ridge passed under her eyes, cupping her cheekbones and extending diagonally upwards, above her sharp ears. She took a step forward and revealed another peculiarity. The thin ridges, thickened on the side of her head, forming about a half dozen elongated appendages growing from her skull and downwards. It reached her shoulders like pointy, rigid dreadlocks of smooth copper and blue skin. She was beautiful, Quinn thought mesmerized, beautiful and hideous all at the same time.

Up close, her eyes were spellbinding. Their color changed constantly, flowing from grey to green to yellow. The black cat-like slits of her pupils dilated and contracted. It repulsed him. It attracted him. He couldn't turn away.

"Would you like to tell me what you think I am up to, Nago?" Zebbah's calm voice freed Quinn from the clutches of her gaze. He was standing straight as a rod with his arms hanging loosely by his sides.

"Let me refresh your memory, old man." Nago said snidely. Quinn caught the glint of satisfaction in the woman's eyes at Nago's unkind remark. He wondered who she was and what hold she had on Nago.

"Do you deny deploying spies to the forest? In fact, leading spies into the forest yourself not even two days ago?" Nago asked challengingly. He continued triumphantly, just as Zebbah opened his mouth to answer. "And then secretly convening with Zaqi and the rest of this lot, to devise a plan to destroy me? I hear you even called in the help of Bahesi to plan this covert mission."

"No one sent spies into the forest, Nago." Zebbah stated evenly. "However, I recall leading a scouting party to determine the extent of the destruction. Kau returned from a scouting mission previously and informed us of the dam being constructed."

If Zebbah was as shocked as Quinn to hear Nago had inside information of the going-ons at Tibay, he did not let on. His words held no condemnation towards Nago. Quinn marveled at Zebbah's control, his ability to seem unaffected

The woman's eyes were on Zebbah now. It occurred to Quinn that she tried to intimidate with her stares. Where-as she'd completely creeped him out, it didn't appear to affect Zebbah in any way. Her jaw tightened, nostrils flared and she lifted her chin.

Nago seemed to have forgotten momentarily about the spying. "That dam will save us from the poison," he muttered.

"Us?" Zebbah challenged

"You had your chance to join me, Zebbah," Nago glanced at Leykin pointedly. Leykin made no move.

"Yes, I did," was all Zebbah said while sorrowful eyes rested on his son.

The irritation on Nago's face conveyed his frustration that the conversation wasn't going his way.

"Enough of the pleasantries," he bit out. "What is your purpose in bringing this earthling here? Quinn, I presume?" He held Zebbah's gaze and was clearly irked when Zebbah didn't display any surprise at his insight. He was trying to goad Zebbah.

Instead of playing into his hand, Zebbah said sternly, "It is clear that someone is feeding you information on the activities at Tibay, Nago. That is of no concern to me right now. I am here for another reason."

Nago's anger surfaced again. "Even now, you dare to treat me like a child?" he bellowed. Beside him, Leykin shifted anxiously, but he didn't speak up. "Open your eyes and look around you, old man! You don't get to decide what is or is not of concern to you when you are standing down there and I am sitting up here. I asked you about the stranger you bring along when you trespass on my land."

Quinn's heart was slamming against his ribs, he was afraid that his pulse would be visible through his shirt. He focused on levelling his breathing. Zebbah was clearly either in denial about the possible outcome of Nago's rage or he was really good at hiding his own fear.

Please don't tell him I put you up to this, Quinn's mind begged Zebbah.

Zebbah eyed Nago contemplatively as seconds ticked by. "We seek the Power of Light to eliminate the poison. We want you to join us."

Nago's eyes widened for an instant.

Ah, so you don't have that much inside info, do you, Nago?

Nago threw his head back and laughed incredulously. Even the guards at the pillars glanced at each other and snickered.

"Join you? The Power of Light?" Nago jeered. Zebbah's expression remained unchanged. "Have you lost all sense? I cannot decide which of the two I want you to expand upon first." His mockery rolled off Zebbah.

"The poison is spreading faster with each day that passes. The people don't have much time left. I am certain your inside man at Tibay relayed that one of the mysteries were unlocked by Haraõ recently. No?" Zebbah asked with a raised brow when Nago couldn't hide his surprise in time. His dark mirth evaporated and he sat back as if someone had spoiled his fun.

"If you are lying about this you will live to regret it." Nago stated flatly.

Zebbah apparently didn't see the need to defend himself or placate Nago. Not that there was anything he could say that'd accomplish that, Quinn supposed. "It was revealed that the poison in the water can be destroyed with the Power of Light. Haraõ could not tell us exactly what it is or how to find it. The only thing we know is that the Tree People have to unite to accomplish that. Everyone."

"We are Yeb."

"You cannot change who you are, Nago." Zebbah declared.

Nago chose to ignore the statement and shifted his focus. "Are you in on this madness, Kauchema?"

Kau's dark look met the one on the throne's in a staring match that lasted longer than Quinn's frayed nerves could withstand. Kau was strung tight as a bow.

"We heard from Haraõ on this." Kau qualified through clenched teeth.

Nago continued to look at Kau, but he became pensive, clearly considering Kau's statement.

"And what did the mind reader have to say? Do you even know where to look? Or shall we pick one of you to spin around blind folded before he casts a stone to the mystery location?" Nago scorned, though it was becoming clear he was definitely piqued.

Zebbah answered, "These were Haraõ's words: Were a man to leave Tibay and another Yeb, and journey to the mountain, there is a place where they would meet exactly halfway. He said we would know what to do once we get to that place. I regret that there is no more information to give, only that you should accompany us."

"Will this come down to only one person? A chosen one?" He looked from Zebbah to Kau again, but both shrugged.

When his eyes turned to Quinn slowly everything in him went numb. He knew his eyes were fixed in terror, but he couldn't for the life of him, bring himself to blink. Appearing normal was a task. Swallowing past the lump in his throat proved unsuccessful, instead producing a weak strangling sound. He choked, then coughed in an attempt to gather himself. Why, he didn't know. He knew he wasn't anyone's Chosen One. There hadn't even been any indication that this whole thing would come down to one person being a hero. Still, his nerves were shot.

"We do not know, Nago." Gersha took one step forward and made herself heard for the first time. She spoke quietly and calmly. She looked to Zebbah and he nodded his permission for her to continue. "There was no talk of someone being singled out. Haraõ stressed the importance of unity. That is all we know."

Nago was undoubtedly uncomfortable speaking to Gersha. He ignored her as if she weren't standing just a few feet from him. The woman standing at his side spoke, again just loud enough for Nago's ears to hear. She kept her eyes on Zebbah as she spoke.

"Mishko reported that you demanded to be brought to me," Nago told Zebbah. "Why?"

Zebbah frowned slightly, no doubt also wondering if Nago had heard a word they'd just said. Hadn't they made it clear that it was important for Yeb to unite with them on the mission? "Nago," Zebbah looked tired of a sudden, "the success of this mission depends on Yeb accompanying us."

"So you were heading this way anyway? Mishko did not ambush you and bring you here?" Nago asked with sarcasm. "I recall my armed guard escorting your disarmed group—"

Kau burst in. "You know as well as I that Kreeno and I could have taken that entire lot down by ourselves, you arrogant..."

Quinn's breath lodged in his throat, but instead of retaliating, Nago sat back and smiled. He looked pleased. Gratified.

"Let me guess, Kau. Zebbah had all his days restraining that temper of yours when my men surprised you, mmm?" He baited.

"Control yourself, Kau." Zebbah warned under his breath. "Our people are in danger, Nago—"

"That is where you are mistaken. My people are perfectly safe, I saw to it." Nago snapped. "I am tired of your high and mighty talking. It is your time to listen, old man. And I have much to say. Much." He hissed, "You would not listen to me years ago, but this time you will have no choice. And it will be on my terms." He looked to his guards closest to Zebbah. "Take them away. I will take my time deciding what happens next."

"Do not resist." Zebbah told his people as Kau and Kreeno assumed defensive stances.

As the guards closed in on Gersha, Nago stopped them. "She will stay here."

Quinn's head whipped up and Kau looked as if he would argue, but Gersha raised her hands as if to ward them off. She addressed them both confidently, "He will not harm me."

Kau's head turned to meet Nago's eyes, but his former friend's face was devoid of emotion. "You do not know that, Gersha." Kau growled.

"Please." Gersha pleaded with Kau.

"Kau." Zebbah spoke softly.

When a struggle with Nago's men seemed inevitable, Kau yielded and allowed them to lead him and Quinn out with the rest of the group.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 510 39
Highest rank #73 in fantasy #18 in voodoo #79 in Philosophy There are times when everything around fades and the voice of the past starts dominatin...
10 0 9
Seven mystics; one Orb that can control destiny. Decades ago, two sisters named Zahra and Rihana heard of a legend of a divine orb that was said to...
80 3 2
Emmeranne Quintus, A not so ordinary but looks it on the outside recently turned Eighteen year old girl, With lots of child trauma and daddy issues...
39 6 55
This story follows a trio of young adventurers: Saffron, Ushi, and Meow. They embark on a quest to find the legendary Seven Orbs, traversing a world...