Finding Grace: The Guardian C...

By feydoc

Highest rank Vampire #1. Evan Whitman is a emergency trauma physician with a special gift. She has the abili... More

title page
Prologue
Chapter 1. Help*
Chapter 2. Why?*
Chapter 3. To Save a Life*
Chapter 4. Run*
Chapter 5. My Ride Home*
Chapter 6. It Might Kill Me*
Chapter 7. Haunted*
Chapter 8. Inner Demons*
Chapter 9. Lingering Echoes*
Chapter 10. Little Details*
Chapter 11. Friends?*
Chapter 12. Damned All Around*
Chapter 13. Just A Girl*
Chapter 14. I Will Fix You*
Chapter 15. Leave Your Baggage at the Door*
Chapter 16. Heaven Forbid*
Chapter 17. Gone*
Chapter 18. Blood On My Hands*
Chapter 19. Truth and Consequences*
Chapter 20. Innocence*
Chapter 21. Answers*
Chapter 22. Inner Turmoil*
Chapter 23. In the Name of Science*
Chapter 24. On Fire*
Chapter 25. Family Ties*
Chapter 26. The Truth is Hard to Swallow*
Chapter 27. Unexpected News*
Chapter 28. Tensions Rising*
Chapter 29. In the Afternoon*
Chapter 30. Trouble*
Chapter 31. Uninvited*
Chapter 32. Guardian Angel*
Chapter 33. Broken*
Chapter 34. PRN*
Chapter 35. Gives You Hell*
Chapter 36. Little Secrets*
Chapter 37. She Is...*
Chapter 38. With Teeth*
Chapter 39. Discovery*
Chapter 40. Welcome Home*
Chapter 41. Bring the Rain*
Chapter 42. Karma*
Chapter 43. Irresponsible*
Chapter 44. Never Alone
Chapter 45. Hurt*
Chapter 46. Chasing Zebras* (medical folks will understand zebras :)
Chapter 47. Sigh No More*
Chapter 48. Big News*
Chapter 49. Shelter You*
Chapter 49.5
Chapter 50. Home*
Chapter 51. Meet the Family*
Chapter 52. Responsibility*
Chapter 53. Miraculous*
Chapter 54. New Developments*
Chapter 55.1
Chapter 55. Xavier*
Chapter 56. You and I*
Chapter 57. Me*
Chapter 58. Undisclosed Desires*
Chapter 59. Best Laid Plans*
Chapter 60. Intuition*
Chapter 62. Sleepyhead*
Chapter 63. Help Me*
Chapter 64. Karma*
Chapter 65. Breathe*
Chapter 66. Escape*
Chapter 67. Labor*
Chapter 68. It Ends Tonight*
Chapter 69. Hello Daddy*
Chapter 70. All I Wanted*
Chapter 71. Hybrid*
Chapter 72. Mine*
Epilogue
Saving Grace: The Guardian Chronicles Book Two
Playlist for the inspiration for The Guardian
Synopsis
supplemental material
Chapter 2.
Hi! Here's some flowers for you

Chapter 61. Found Out*

26.5K 447 18
By feydoc

Chapter 61. We Are Young by Fun (Midnight City by M83)

I hated to see how much pain Evan was in. Despite her stoicism, I knew she was hurting by her aura. The little aura that was our daughter was growing stronger, which reassured me. Once I felt Evan relax into such an unnatural thing as sleep, I carefully arose and covered her up. I went to dress in what I hoped would be convincing club wear for a modern twenty something in this day and age. I have always enjoyed dressing well, so it was not a stretch for me to find something suitable. Satisfied that I could pass for my human twenty-four years in a black suit with narrow legs and fitted jacket, I opted for a burgundy dress shirt rather than the white I would normally go for. I slipped on my boots with an ankle holster and before I pulled on the jacket I pulled on my shoulder sheath with the silver throwing knives. Current trends made bulky weapons hard to conceal. I was hoping I would not need any weapons, though.

With a last glance at Evan fitfully sleeping on our bed, I went out to the living area where we were to meet. Xavier was standing motionless in front of the windows overlooking the city. The Saint Louis skyline at night had always captivated me, but I noticed he was looking down and at the near rooftops, rather than at the scenery.

"Are you ready for a relaxing night in, my friend?" I asked him.

Without turning, he answered, "I will not relax for a moment until you are all home safely, Emil."

"I knew I could trust you," I said. "I am hoping we will all return unscathed, but I don't have a good feeling about tonight."

"You are all strong warriors, Emil. If there is a fight, I have full confidence that all will go well."

"Thank you, Xavier. I will be able to focus on the task at hand knowing Evan and Nathan are safe here with you," I told the other Guardian. The background was filled with Nathan playing some of the music I had taught him on the guitar. It was such a peaceful melody, one that seemed appropriate for the moment.

A single knock sounded at the door and it opened to reveal the others, ready for our mission. Hannah was gallantly heralded in by Jean; resplendent in a sapphire blue dress, silver heels and a faux fur wrap. Besides the length of leg she revealed, her face and hair had been made up to remind me of an ice queen, all sparkles and angles.

"I thought the plan was to go unnoticed," I laughed as she came in and did a little pirouette in the open area between the kitchen and living room.

"Don't be a spoil sport! I don't get to dress up very often, and since I'm not a Guardian, and most of the people that knew me are gone, I figured I could serve as a diversion. Think it will work?" She asked me as she struck a pose.

Malachi had a slightly disapproving look on his face, but said nothing, while Jean piped up with, "Ma chérie, you will definitely turn heads. But where are you hiding your weapon?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," Hannah said slyly. The surprise on Jean's face was classic.

Malachi stepped up beside Hannah looking more attractive than he'd ever been, to my knowledge. He had always done his best to blend in and dressed almost in hipster camouflage: khakis and nondescript tee shirts. Tonight, he was wearing a V-neck sweater under a sport coat with matching slacks. His hair had been combed back, making me realize he often did not do anything with his appearance. That was a rarity among our kind. At that moment, Hannah reached up and brushed a stray hair out of his eyes, and I realized that she must have given him a little help.

Jean was dressed to the nines, as was his habit, in fitted pinstripe slacks, a black dress shirt unbuttoned several buttons to reveal much of his chest and a vest with a chain. His dark blond hair had been pulled back to the nape of his neck, very sleek looking.

Aiden and Hawk were hanging back behind the others, looking like boys at their first school dance. Both of them had always been laisez-faire about their clothing and tonight they were very striking. I had a feeling going unnoticed was out of the question at this point.

A low whistle and a cat call sounded from the hallway leading from the music room. I turned to see Nathan grinning from ear to ear taking all of us in.

"You all look like you should be on Jersey Shores or something! No, they don't have as much style as you do. Maybe on something like the Sopranos, that's it. You all look dangerous," Nathan declared.

"Evan's asleep Nathan, keep it down a little," I chided. To take out the sting, I said, "We do look like quite the crew don't we?"

He nodded and moved closer to stand by Jean. Hawk and Aiden came a little closer in and I could see what they were wearing. While Hawk was still in his jeans, he was in a tight fitting cashmere sweater that accentuated his build. Over that, he wore a loose leather jacket that hung to his waist, and did an adequate job of hiding his gun. Aiden no longer looked like an Axl Rose wannabe, dressed in an olive green suit and cream dress shirt. The cut was fashionable and masculine. His long wild hair had also been tamed into a ponytail at the nape of his neck.

"Well, does anyone have any questions? Or anything they want to say?" I asked the group.

Hawk stepped forward, all business, and said, "I want to propose that we enter in small groups, rather than all together. We will for sure attract attention if we go in together."

"I agree. Did you have something in mind?" I asked.

Nodding, Hawk went on, "I will go in with Hannah, after you and Aiden enter. You will need to see for yourself what is going on, and I thought we could have Malachi and Tourneau bring up the rear."

That sounded reasonable to me, and I wondered if it had anything to do with the conversation I had had with Jean earlier. I replied, "Does anyone have a problem with this suggestion?"

No one spoke up, but I could see Malachi shoot Hawk a curious glance. Hawk raised his eyebrows to Malachi, but nothing was said.

"As planned, we will go in separate cars, just in case we encounter a problem, we aren't all trapped together. Everyone ready to roll out?" I said.

The group in front of me all nodded and divided up into the smaller groups. I nodded to Jean to lead the way. Before I followed the group, I turned to Nathan and Xavier who were now standing side by side watching the rest leave.

"Nathan, come here." I said to the boy vampire.

He came to stand in front of me, with an expectant look on his face.

"I'm counting on you to keep a watch on the video surveillance, okay? You don't have to watch it all the time, just check in. I have an alarm system that will go off if there is a breech anywhere from the ground. The cameras are pointed at the roof and the surrounding buildings to watch for an attack from there," I said, hoping to make the young one feel important. "Besides that, I want you to know how proud I am that you have been able to help keep Evan safe. Thank you. And I want you to know that I care about you and will see you in the morning. Okay?"

Nathan stood a little taller and nodded, then said, "I won't let you down, Emil. I'll keep a watch out for any of the bad guys and I'll make sure Evan is okay. I don't want anything to happen to her or the baby."

I ruffled his hair and he stepped in and gave me a quick hug. As unaccustomed to physical contact as I had become after all these decades, I had to admit to myself, I was rather fond of it, and never wanted to be without again.

The caravan of our vehicles drove the short distance to LaClede's Landing, where Romley's club was celebrating its grand opening. The name of the club turned my stomach, as the innuendo meant more to me, knowing Romley's sick tastes. It was called The Back Room, which would mean little to the ignorant humans who would attend, but Romley had always had a penchant for BDSM, and the couple of times I had been to his home, he always insisted that I see him in his 'play room'. It was the back room of his house where he practiced his sick games with whichever desperate prey he had at the moment. The Brethren had never had a problem with it, as they claimed all of the victims were there of their own accord.

As planned, each vehicle was parked at a different vector, so that if we all needed to get away together, there would be quick access to a vehicle if necessary. We were all fast on foot, but if any of us were injured, a car would be the safest choice.

Aiden and I pulled up on the North side, two blocks from the club, parking on the street. Besides each of us being armed, we were using hidden microphones and earpieces to communicate. In the background, I listened as the others made idle chatter while getting into position. Aiden and I were to be the first to enter, so we quickly made our way to the line out front. A bouncer was only letting a select few in, while hopefuls milled on the sidewalk out front. There were news cameras and reporters present, as well as a DJ playing music in the street. The road directly in front of the club had been closed down, allowing the waiting crowd to fill the street as well. Instead of going to the line, among much protest from those waiting, Aiden and I made our way to the front of the line to gain entry. I knew that if I flashed enough money, we would be allowed in. Besides, we both looked like wealthy men out on the town.

Under the flashing lights and neon glow, a towering black man stood beside an equally impressive tough looking white man. As we approached, the black man stepped forward. At first the wall of a man that was the bouncer planted himself firmly in front of us, but when I stepped a bit closer and reached to shake his hand, barely concealing the hundred dollar bill there, he gave us a smile, and stepped aside.

"Welcome to The Back Room," he said. "Enjoy your night with us. You can have whatever you want here, for a price."

I wondered what he meant by the remark, hoping it did not mean exactly what he said. Romley was no longer here to lead in the debauchery I knew him to be capable of, but if he was only a pawn and there were higher powers at play here, I was concerned for the hapless humans who might be preyed upon here. I catalogued this information though, as Aiden and I made our way into the dimly lit club. The music from the DJ outside gave way to trance like music being played by the band inside. Popular music was blended with a thudding bass that pulsed through my body as we moved past the entrance.

Leaning nearer to Aiden, I said, "Lead the way. I want to get in and get out. This is not my idea of a good time."

"Aww, man! We can't have any fun," Aiden replied. At the look I gave him, he added, "I'm just kidding. Come on."

The air was smoky, but it smelled artificial, like it was being produced by a fog machine. Strobe lights flashed to the music, and laser images were projected around the huge space, painting the walls, floor and partiers with colorful patterns.

Aiden led the way through the swaying throng. The dance floor was so full, it was nearly impossible to move. We had to brush away groping hands as we made our way to the lounge area in the back. I was grabbed more than once by both men and women in obscene ways. I could see the swirls of desperation and intoxication blending in the auras of those around me. It was almost dizzying. This was another reason I avoided crowded places. While I was all business, Aiden cleared a path as he gyrated momentarily with whomever reached for him. It seemed to be a rather effective way to move through the crowd, but I wanted nothing to do with it.

Finally we reached the lounge area, staying in the shadows. By this time, Hannah and Hawk should have made their way in, followed by Tourneau and Malachi. I waited impatiently for them to let us know through my earpiece that all was well. As we moved along, I took note of the various obstacles that obscured the other side of the vast space. Hanging from the ceiling were platforms where dancers moved seductively. There were cages at intervals that clubgoers could take turns in, apparently doing whatever they wanted, from the looks of it. Some held couples having sex in plain sight; others held S&M tools that were being plied by leather clad employees. Those partaking in the S&M attractions did not seem as if they were being hurt, so I left them to their depraved games.

Aiden continued ahead of me toward the area we figured would hold the offices and the rooms where the Brethren might be watching. A flight of metal stairs rose ahead of us, with a cage in the dead space beneath them. Inside were two scantily clad females dancing together, much to the delight of several young men that were watching. One seemed vaguely familiar, but I dismissed the feeling, as Aiden went past the spectacle into a more dimly lit area. A murmur arose as the music slowed. I noticed many heads turning toward the entrance, where I saw what was attracting the attention. Apparently Hannah and Hawk had made it in unnoticed, but unfortunately at the center of attention were Jean and Malachi, each draped with a local socialite. The news media had created an air of celebrity apparently when the two young women were spotted. I would have to figure out later how the two Guardians had gotten tangled up with the human women. I could only hope that whomever was in charge tonight would be too busy to notice the appearance of two Guardians who should have been dead. I had no idea if Bong-Li had returned to the Brethren after Romley was killed.

Deciding I would let the two seasoned warriors deal with their own problems for the moment, I followed Aiden into the darkened back hallway. Softly, I said into the concealed mouthpiece, "Hannah, Hawk, do you copy?"

The reply came back muddled by the sound of the crowd, "What a party! We have the best seats to watch the door."

Hannah's voice was the one who answered, and I could tell her answer was meant to be informative, as well as sound random to those around her.

"The back hall is dark," I softly replied, letting those who could hear know where we were.

Aiden had stopped to wait for me and we proceeded silently along the corridor, the music muffled by the cinder block walls. Soon we came upon the first 'back room'. Inside, a group was gathered around a hookah, lounging on pillows. Fragrant smoke circled lazily around their heads as we passed. The odor was obviously not tobacco of any kind. Neither of us recognized anyone in that room, so we moved on. Aiden had told us there was a second level that while concealed by the decor in the club, it allowed the management to observe the dance floor for trouble, back when he had frequented the place under its former name. We had found the blueprints we located online showed the area still remained. Figuring this would be the ideal place for the Brethren or whoever was in charge to keep an eye out for potential prey or enemies, we had decided it would be our main objective.

At that moment, in my ear I heard Tourneau's voice over a feminine laugh. "Sweetheart, I think we'll be useless to you tonight. You've got to party on your own."

I answered quietly, "Are you spotted?"

The answer that came in response was vague, but I knew Tourneau would only transmit what we needed to hear. "We've been spotted by the media, darling. The tongues will be wagging all over town tomorrow. What will your fiancé think?"

He was talking to both me and the female that had attached herself to him apparently. He was compromised. All of us had heard the statement through our earpieces.

Hawk's voice came across next, "Jean and Malachi, abort. It won't be long until the Brethren pick up on your presence. Meet at the rendezvous point."

"Listen to Hawk. Jean and Malachi, if you're compromised, it will only hurt the mission. Draw attention away from the rest if you're called out. Good luck, gentlemen," I said, hoping that they would get away without further incident.

Aloud to Aiden I said, "Let's move. I want to get out of here."

He moved forward down the dark corridor. I could smell blood now. Aiden had picked up on it too, I could tell, as he sniffed the air. Silently we moved forward closer to the sweet fragrance. The next room's door was shut, but it was where the scent of blood was coming from. Listening intently, I did not want to give away our presence prematurely. Behind the closed door, I heard a quiet moaning and the snap of something striking flesh. A sharp cry sounded with the contact, followed by a laugh. Disgusted, I figured this was one of the S&M rooms that was for the more hardcore.

"What do you say, boss?" Aiden asked as I hesitated by the door.

"It sounds like someone is having fun, so let's move on. We'll come back if we don't find anyone upstairs. Are we almost to the back stairway?" I said disgustedly.

"Just a little farther," Aiden said as he moved on. The next several rooms were more of the same. Some with closed doors others open for any who passed to see what was going on. It seemed as if Romley's plan to prey on the basest of human instincts would pay off. I did not understand what this world was coming to. I was appalled at how some of the human women were allowing themselves to be treated.

Finally we came to the stairs at the end of the hall, and we made our way to the top, cautious for the presence of anyone who might spot us. As the scent of the fog machine and debauchery settled in the air below us, I made out a familiar scent. It was Benjamin and Aristarchus, as well as another vampire I did not know. I placed a hand on Aiden's shoulder, and pulled him up sharp. Knowing that we were likely close enough to be heard and scented by the older vampires, I whispered as softly as I could into Aiden's ear.

"Do you recognize the other scent?"

Aiden shook his head side-to-side and shrugged.

I whispered again, "Move with caution. We are likely expected now."

Aiden nodded slightly and crept forward. As I pulled the gun from my ankle holster, he pulled one from behind his back. As we neared the top of the stairs, I overheard the voices from behind the door. An unfamiliar male voice spoke in hypnotic tones.

"Brothers, I am pleased that you have provided such a feast for my son and I. The humans here are fascinating and feeble. They have such appetites and desire for stimulation they will not know what is happening to them by the time we get ahold of them."

Aristarchus and Benjamin agreed with yesses and agreeable humming, but the Elder was strangely quiet. Usually he would pontificate on the humans' deplorable state of mind. I prepared myself to enter this upper room, just as Hawk's staticky voice sounded in my ear.

"Bong-Li has made her entrance. We need you here! She spotted Tourneau as he and Malachi were leaving with the human women. She has Steele and Luther with her."

Loathing for the other Guardians filled me. Those were two of the last I would have suspected of joining such a party. Veronica and Pierre were still unaccounted for.

"Damn it!" I swore as I backed off from the door. We needed to know who we were up against. As I suspected, Aristarchus was not at the top of this coup. "Aiden, change of plans."

Pressing the button to speak, I said, "Do not engage unless you are recognized! We are on our way back to you."

"Understood," came the garbled reply.

Aiden and I did not bother with stealth as we ran back down the hallway to the door that opened into the lounge area. I scanned the dance floor for Hawk and Hannah, hoping they had found a less conspicuous spot to watch.

"Where are you," I asked over the transmitter.

"To the left of the metal stairs with the cage under it. We have not been seen. I've got a hat on and Hannah is blending in under a human." I could hear the caution in Hawk's voice.

As I focused my search in their direction I spotted Hannah's bright blue dress first. Indeed, she was under a human man on a chaise up on a dais. Hawk was standing stiffly next to the steps up to the dais, with a black hat pulled low over his brow.

I tapped Aiden on the arm and gestured to where the two were hiding in plain sight. We hurried toward them, as I said over the transmitter, "Where is Bong-Li?"

I watched as Hawk's lips moved and I heard, "My five o'clock."

I looked up and to the left of Hawk's right shoulder. Sure enough Bong-Li was there, flanked by the other two Guardians. Anger flowed through me at the sight. Staying in the shadows, we moved up to the cage under the stairs. I watched Bong-Li intently, hoping she would not spot any of the rest of us. I stood with my back to the cage, watching as Hawk moved to take the place of the human man, to the cheers of the humans watching the spectacle. I sincerely hoped that Bong-Li did not know what either of them looked like.

As I moved to step away into the darkness and move out, I was grasped by a weak hand.

"Emil!" a familiar voice screamed out. "Emil, help me!"

I turned in panic as a hush fell around us.

"Please, Emil. Get me out of here!" Marie pleaded with me.

The female who was in the cage that had seemed familiar to me was Marie. My Marie.

Relief and panic filled me as Aiden grabbed me by the arm and said, "We've got to roll boss. Our cover is blown. Public Enemy Number One has spotted you."

I ripped open the locked cage and grabbed Marie around the waist, tossing her over my shoulder. Screams filled the air as I pushed my way through the crowd. By this time the music had stopped and confused humans blocked my way. Aiden pushed through them, making more of a path for us.

"Come on!" I shouted to Hawk and Hannah. They leapt from the dais they were on, agilely landing on the run. Hannah did not seem to have any trouble running in the impossible shoes she was wearing.

"Get them!" Bong-Li shouted.

From either side, humans and Romley's vampire abominations rushed at us. The four of us ran for the exit, I with Marie on my shoulder. When we were nearly there, Steele and Luther appeared in our path in front of the exit. Both were built sturdily; Steele a vampire of a few hundred years, from Germany; and Luther about the same age from England.

"We've been spotted," I called out on our transmitter. "The enemy has engaged us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 44.5K 60
HIGHEST RANKING IN WEREWOLF : #43# 30/8/2016 I was enveloped in strong warm arms that lifted me off the ground 'a-Alpha?' a trembling voice started...
3M 69.7K 79
WATTY AWARD FINALIST - MOST POPULAR - PARANORMAL ROMANCE Awarded MOST READ 2013 achieving #1 ROMANCE, PARANORMAL, FANTASY, NON TEEN FICTION CHARTS. A...
6 0 6
Evan is a vampire. He didn't choose this form of life but deals with it the best he can. At the beginning of the story, he returns back to his hometo...
5.8K 298 36
*CANNOT BE READ AS A STANDALONE, MUST READ THE BLOOD MOON FIRST* Taylor King is a mystery. A hurt and broken girl with a gift that terrifies everyone...