Temptations

By mithimuffin

Some say love comes in calm waves, gentle and caressing. Not for Eira Bentley. For her, love came like a... More

Prologue
Chapter One - The First Fall
Chapter Two - Undeniable Attraction
Chapter Three - Late Night Adventure
Chapter Four - Intentions
Chapter Five* - The Morning After
Chapter Six* - Until Another Moon
Chapter Seven* - This is Fallon High
Chapter Eight* - It's Obvious He Likes You
Chapter Nine* - May the Odds Be Ever In Your Favor
Chapter Ten* - Pool of Secrets
Chapter Eleven* - Teach Me Something New
Chapter Twelve* - Bedtime Story
Chapter Thirteen* - Prince Caspian
Chapter Fifteen* - Unveiled
Chapter Sixteen* - Closet Lovers
Chapter Seventeen* - Medical Emergency
Chapter Eighteen* - As If It Wasn't Already Enough
Chapter Nineteen* - Brothers and Sisters
Chapter Twenty*- Date Night
Chapter Twenty-One* - Everything About Me
Chapter Twenty-Two* - Envy Is A Sin
Chapter Twenty-Three* - Friendly Enemies
Chapter Twenty-Four* - Double the Trouble
Chapter Twenty-Five - Things That Come With Dating
Chapter Twenty-Six -- You Don't Scare Me
Chapter Twenty-Seven -- That's My Line
Chapter Twenty-Eight - A Small Announcement
Chapter Twenty-Nine - The Other Girl
Chapter Thirty ~ Your Undivided Heart
Chapter Thirty-One - Little Bit Possessive
Chapter Thirty-Two - Moving Past the Past
Chapter Thirty-Three - The Big Night
Chapter Thirty-Four - The Betrayal
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen* - Separation or Reunion?

12.3K 142 11
By mithimuffin

I swiftly moved away from the door. I didn't know what to do. From the way he was looking at my mom, I assumed that he hadn't realized my presence, yet, so I did what I thought would be the best thing to do.

I turned around and ran to the back door. My guts were telling me to run. Go to Ian! I wanted to disobey them and stay with my mom but I also knew that we probably didn't stand a chance against Ian’s dad if he was as strong as he appeared to be.

He wouldn't hurt my mom if he was after me and something told me that he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to see me. I quietly opened the door and hurried out, climbing over the back fence. I was still wearing that disgrace of a dress but I decided to not acknowledge it. It was all trees back here and nobody ever came here, either. There wasn't anyone who would see me and if there was, oh well. I was past the point of caring.

I started running, my steps making light thuds against the grass and twigs. I started feeling an odd sense of déjà vu even though this time was completely different from the last. For one, it wasn't at night. The sun was up and it was morning. And I had a destination I was going to, unlike last time when I didn't have any clue where I was going. But the commonality was that last time I was running and I was running this time, too.

Also, this time, I didn't feel weak. I felt like I would get this to happen the way I wanted it to. I would find Ian and he’ll protect me and my mom. I didn't know why. I knew this wasn't normal. No girl was supposed to be afraid of the man who was their boyfriend’s (if I can even call him that) father. I doubted that many girls would be afraid of him, much less sneak out of their own house and run to avoid him.

Suddenly, I heard a sound that I was sure I didn't make. I froze, listening, but when I heard nothing, I started running again, being careful to listen to the sounds I was making and what sounds were coming from somewhere else.

I heard nothing.

Still, I kept running, because I’d learned something from last time. If I couldn't see or hear something didn't mean it wasn't there and I wasn't going to make the mistake of stopping to check again.

I ran for fifteen minutes without stopping again until Ian’s house came into view. I almost let out a sigh of relief. I started walking towards the apartment, when suddenly, a hand reached out and grabbed my arm, making me scream.

A hand clamped over my mouth as I scanned the area, searching for my captor. I struggled to break out of their hold, but found that the hold was strong. A lot stronger than Ian’s was.

“Listen to me.” A voice said in my ear. I froze at the sound. I recognized it. I had only heard this sound this very morning screaming and yelling.

Ian’s dad.

He stared into my eyes, slowly letting me go. It wasn't a release, though. The threat was right there in his eyes. If I move, I will regret it. If I yell, I will regret it. He made it look like I would even regret breathing. I took a small breath and waited for him to speak.

“I will give you a warning. Stay away from Caspian. Don’t keep any contact with him, or any of my kids. If you disobey me, the consequences WILL be regretful.” He growled at me. His growl seemed even more intimidating, since I knew that Mr. Cavanaugh wasn't completely human. "You have a very sweet mother."

“I-I-I d-don’t know what y-you’re t-t-t-t-talking about.” I stuttered, partly because I was still wearing the dress that I was still wearing somehow, partly because he'd mentioned my mom, and partly because Ian’s dad scared me to death. I was surprised I managed to get a sentence about.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. Stay away or you WILL regret it. You have no choice but to believe me.” He said, looking at me, very darkly.

I stared at him, blankly, unsure of what to do.

“Dad!” Ian’s voice growled from somewhere, but I couldn't look up at him. I felt his presence beside me, though and that made me feel a little better. “What do you think you’re doing here?”

Mr. Cavanaugh rolled his eyes, smirking at his son. “I was letting your little play toy know a couple things about you. I think she got the message really clearly.” He looked at Ian with a smirk before glancing at me. “She’s a smart one.”

“Please leave her out of this. She has nothing to do with it.” Ian growled back at his father. He grabbed my arm, protectively moving me behind him, acting like a shield.

“She has everything to do with this!” Ian’s dad, growled back. “Don’t think I don’t know what’s going on, Caspian. I know everything about your little bitch here.” He raised his hand in my direction. For second, I wondered as to whether I should take offense to that. I was a female dog now, wasn't I?

“She’s mine.” Ian growled at his father. “You have no right to interfere in our relationship.”

“I’m your father. You’re my son!” So, I was right. This man was Ian’s father. Of course he was.

“You didn't think so when you so kindly threw me out of the house to live on my own!” Ian spat back. Mr. Cavanaugh’s eyes flared at his son.

“Don’t you dare speak to me in that tone! I am still your father and it’s your job to honor me, Caspian. I’m telling you to make sure your bitch stays out of my business and you. You’re my son and I want her away from us. Do you understand?” Before Ian could respond, his dad turned around and climbed into a car and drove away, leaving Ian and me standing there.

Ian stared at him as he drove away. I suspected that he forgot I was even standing here.

When I realized that he wasn't going to say anything, I cleared my throat, attracting his attention. He looked at me, before taking a deep breath. “That was, uh, my dad.” He tried to say calmly, but there was an edge to his voice. This wasn't something he was very comfortable talking about. Suddenly, his eyes widened and he glared at me in shock. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn't I just get back from dropping you off at your house?”

This was SO not a good time to upset him, when he was already on edge.

“Yes…” I said, slowly. “But your dad showed up at my door and I didn't know what to do so I decided to come back.” I quickly added on before he could interrupt.

“He came to your house?” His eyes widened and I suddenly realized that Ian really wasn't in a good mood today. Today was probably just a really bad day.

“I think I might have overreacted, though. It’s just that when I saw him, I panicked.” I paused. “I saw your argument this morning and he scares me.” Even though he looks like Ian.

“I guess I owe you a lot explanations, huh?” Ian finally asked me, reminding me of our date. He’d said something similar to the way he asked this question before he’d answered my questions, but this time, I didn't want to force answers out of him.

“You don’t owe me anything. You can tell me when you’re ready to. In the meantime, do you want to take me back home?” I asked him with a small smile on my face. There was obviously a lot more to Ian than I knew and I would just have to wait and find out.

“Sure.” He smiled. “Just make sure you stay there this time.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out his keys. I grinned and climbed into his car. He got in on the other side and started the engine.

As we were driving down the road, it was awfully quiet. “He really came to your house?” Ian broke the silence. I looked at him and realized that he was still hung up on that.

“He came, but I don’t think he was planning to do something. He just threatened me to stay away or I would really regret it and to not doubt his abilities.” I explained. Ian didn't say anything. He just sat there, his jaw clenched. “I’m sure it was just an empty threat.” I said, but I realized that may not have been the best choice of words because Ian’s grip on the steering wheel tightened.

He didn't say anything until we pulled up in front of my house. My mom was already standing at the front door, waiting for us. She had a smile on her face, but her eyebrows were furrowed and she was looking at us with worry. What had Ian’s dad said to her?

I slowly got out of the car and turned around when I heard another car door open. Ian got out of the car, too, and started walking in my direction. I went to him. “Where are you going?” I asked him. He glanced at me.

“I’m going to go talk to your mom.” He explained. He was clearly beyond upset, so I just trailed behind him as we walked to my house.

“Good morning, Ms. Bentley.” Ian still said very politely. I watched his movement and noticed that he was still very tense. My mom smiled at him, warily, shooting me a glance, too.

“Good morning, Ian.” She responded. She looked at me. “Eira, why don’t you go change your clothes?” I looked at her and Ian, sensing that they wanted to talk about something and they wanted to keep me out of it, but still, without a word, I entered the house, going straight to my room. I considered eavesdropping but then decided that I would rather change my clothes and then eavesdrop whatever I can. I went inside my closet and got a pair of skinny jeans and a V-neck sweater. I got a tank top to wear under and quickly changed.

Finally, I felt decent for once after a really long time.

I slowly crept down the stairs, hoping that I would hear something from outside, but as soon as I hit the ground floor, the front door flung open and Mom and Ian marched inside, making me freeze in my steps.

They seemed slightly surprised to see me but quickly covered it. “Come sit down, Berry. I want to talk to you about something.” My mom said, walking towards the living room with Ian right behind her. I slowly trailed behind them. My mom took a seat on the couch while Ian sat down on the single chair. Seeing that I couldn't sit next to him, I took a spot next to my mom.

“What happened?” I asked, curiously looking between the two of them. My mom spoke first.

“Eira, Dominic came to our house today, you know.” She softly said. I watched her, waiting for her to say something else. “Ian and I decided that maybe right now, it’ll be best if you stay away from each other for a little while. I’m not saying that you can't be together. I’m just saying to stay together when nobody else is around. I don’t want either of you getting hurt.”

“Just let things go how they were going before the date, Eira. Pretend you hate me and I’ll ignore you.” Ian added.

“I’m not trying to separate you.” Mom quickly added, before I could make any judgments. “I’m just trying to keep you safe. I know you both have strong feelings towards each other and staying away is pointless. I just want you to stay safe, I know what he said and I don’t trust Dominic. He’s very scary.”

“Okay.” I agreed, as long as my mom didn't turn into an evil mother who wanted to keep her daughter single forever, I think I would be okay. Besides, I would get to see Ian still and that’s all that really mattered.

“Alright then. I think I should leave, now.” Ian stood up, making me jump to my feet, too. My mom watched us in amusement. Was he leaving already?

“Why don’t you go say goodbye to him?” She suggested. I looked at her and she gave me a not-so-subtle wink. I blushed before quickly turning around and leading Ian to the door.

“This isn't how I pictured our first relationship to be like.” Ian said once we’d both reached the front door. I chuckled. This wasn't how I pictured it, either. Ian walked over to me, planting a small kiss on my lips. “Bye Princess.”

“Bye.” I said as I watched him leave.

Once Ian's car was out of sight, I was just about to turn around and go inside when I saw a Taxi turn into our street. Curious since I'd never really seen a taxi in Fallon before, I wanted to see who the visitor was for so I was especially surprised when the cab stopped in front of my house.

I leaned on the door frame, incredibly confused. Mom had never told me we were having a visitor.

Finally, the back door opened and a guy stepped out. He was tall. I was suddenly starting to feel as if all the men I knew were towering over me. Even Mr. Heimlich was a good couple inches taller than me and he was a short man. The guy had dark hair, similar to my own, and greenish-gray eyes. They were more gray, lacking the color that mine had.

The cab driver stepped out and opened the trunk and gave a bag to the guy, which the guy took. He paid the cab driver, who got back inside the cab and drove away. The guy looked up, as if he just now noticed me standing there before he took a deep breath and took a step towards me, confidently.

He stopped in front of me. "Who are you?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. The guy was incredibly familiar but I had no idea who he was. He was definitely really familiar, though. Did I know this man?

He didn't answer my question. "Is this Janice Bentley's house?" He asked. His voice was smooth. I looked at him, suspiciously.

"Yes. Who are you?" I cocked my head to the side, as I waited for an answer. They guy was handsome, really handsome. Why was he looking for my mom?

"I'm her son." He said.

I blinked. "No." I slowly said. "Seriously, who are you?" He sighed.

"Who are you?" He asked me, instead. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I'm her daughter." I told him, waiting to see how he'd respond to that. "And I know I don't have a brother. My mom would have told me."

"Look, why don't we call her here and then we can get this sorted out." He said, dropping his bag on the porch.

"Fine." I said, smugly. I popped my head inside the house. "MOM!" I yelled. "COME HERE!"

I heard her footsteps come down the hall. "Is Ian gone?" 

"Yeah, but there's someone else here who says they know you." I told her. She furrowed her eyebrows, thoughtfully.

"Someone's here to see me?" She asked. 

"Yeah, it's some guy." She came to the door and I opened it thoroughly for her. 

"I wonder who it could--" She began to say before her eyes landed on the stranger. Her eyes widened and her jaw literally dropped, which was a surprise, because nothing seemed to ever surprise my mother. Suddenly, she was glaring at the guy with a mean look on her face. I'd never seen the look before so I was surprised, even though the guy was barely fazed. "What are you doing here?" She asked him.

He shrugged. "Came by to see you, Mom." He told her, throwing me a smug look. Now, my jaw dropped.

There was no way...But Mom really seemed like she knew the guy. 

"Mom?" I asked, shocked. She turned around, almost remembering that I was still standing there. Her eyes were wide and worried. 

"Eira? What are you still doing over there? Go inside." She ordered me. It wasn't an option. She expected me to do it right that moment.

"But--" I protested, glancing at the guy.

"Go." She ordered. I didn't move. "I will explain everything later." She told me, to which the guy snorted. Nevertheless, without sparing the guy another look, I rushed inside the house, up the stairs and into my room. 

There was something wrong. There had to be. Why would my mom hide my brother from me for practically my whole life. In all of my seventeen years, couldn't she have found one second to tell me that I had a brother? 

No, there was more to the story. There had to be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55K 2K 23
Those eyes haunt her dreams,those green eyes light up more differently than other werewolves eyes. Those eyes call out to her,her mate needs her help...
113K 4K 46
Currently editing to Third POV 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬 1 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘙𝘦𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴. <𝘛𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘯 1990> 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺�...
937K 27.4K 47
"You belong to us." "Not one of us, but both of us." "We will share you." "For you are our mate." "We're both Alphas." "And if we wanted to, we cou...
7.7K 165 53
117-year-old Luxor "Lux" Atwood has grown up in rural Rosewood, Montana her whole life, believing she has the ideal American family. Having three old...