Chapter Seven* - This is Fallon High

The next Monday morning was dreadful. I woke up, not that I was really sleeping in the first place. After my fight with Mallory on Saturday, I suffered a very serious case of insomnia. I spent all Sunday trying to contact Mallory but I couldn’t get a hold of her. Nobody answered her house phone and she didn’t answer her cell phone.

Finally, after calling her multiple times, I decided to go to Mallory’s house and speak to her myself, but when I arrived there, it was locked and nobody was home.

I asked Mallory’s neighbor, Mrs. Kennel, a sweet old lady, and she informed me that Mallory and her family had left Saturday morning.

Disappointed, I arrived back home in misery. When I wasn’t upset about Mallory, I was thinking about Ian. What had gotten into him? Why was he telling me all these crazy things? And expect me to believe him? I’m his mate? He’s a werewolf? I just couldn’t understand. I remembered very clearly though, when I saw that beast turn into a man.

I felt like it was a rerun of Beauty and the Beast, and I was stuck as Belle. Luckily, I didn't have any other characters to deal with--like Gaston.  

I got home and went to bed before Mom got home. I really didn't want to explain this to her. I didn't fall asleep, though. I heard her come home and I pretended to be asleep when she came inside my room to check on me. I heard her sigh before closing the door behind her. I released the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding until she left.

Now, it was Monday morning and there was no way I would be able to hide this from her. I dreaded seeing her again. That was why I got up early.

I left a note for her on the kitchen counter and left, locking the door behind me.

It was still very dark outside and I doubted the school was even open yet, so I was a fool for making the choice I did this morning. Maybe I just wanted to avoid everyone. I didn't want to see Mom and I didn't want to see Ian. I did want to see Mallory, though.

Because of that, I arrived at the school at five-fifteen in the morning. It was still dark outside and the doors were still closed. That was when I truly woke up and realized the reality of the situation I was in at the moment. What was wrong with me? Why did I come to school this early? I clearly wasn't thinking straight--or at all.

I’d had a massive stomach ache for the past night and things were not looking up for me. I swear, sometimes, I felt like a mean pregnant lady.

Realizing that I couldn't just stand here for the rest of the morning, I decided to do something about it. I noticed a window open on the second floor of the building and a tree right beside it. It was a stupid thought. It really was.

Then again, I wasn't thinking straight this morning due to lack of sleep. I walked over to the tree and started climbing it, digging my fingers inside the bark. I didn't care about the pain and for a moment, I felt like I deserved it.

I was inside the school faster then I imagined and for the first time in my life, I realized how easy it was to break into a school. I grinned at my accomplishment. The window easily slid open and I climbed inside.

The halls were empty, not that I expected anyone to be here this early. It felt refreshing. I felt as if I was away from everything and it felt good. I closed the window behind me and entered the halls. I felt like I was rebelling. I mean, I snuck away from home, and I broke into private property.

I chuckled at my sad joke of a rebellion.

Now that I was sitting here, all by myself, though, I was able to think a little bit more clearly and look at things from a ‘what if?’ point of view. What if Ian was telling me the truth? I mean, they had to get the idea of a werewolf from somewhere and so why not from reality?