Shadows and Lights

By ReturnTriumphant

Alex Heights got more than she bargained for when she agreed to study abroad at Teiko. Time finds her attendi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 22

120 6 1
By ReturnTriumphant

For a moment, all I can feel is the touch of Kagami's skin, the way his hands are holding my face and the way his forehead seems to anchor me in place. The cold of the water seems to climb up my body, causing a shudder to run down my spine and cause me to grab Kagami's wrists like a lifeline. For a moment, I manage to ignore the slick substance that encases me from all angles. I keep my eyes closed. My hair brushes against my fingers. Then the realization that I'm underwater, unable to breathe, floods my senses.

The cool that surrounds me is off-putting, the weightlessness absurd, and the substance that could fill my lungs and end me terrifying. My grip on Kagami's wrists tightens, and I'm sure it's painful to him. I try to pull away as my lungs begin to burn and tears build behind my closed eyes. Kagami, let me go up. I don't wanna be here anymore. Kagami doesn't let me out of his grip, no matter how many times I try to pull his hands away from me. My lungs are burning, burning, burning, and I'm sure I'm going to drown here.

The redhead then shocks me. His lips brush against mine before he blows air into my lungs. Surprise makes me go rigid in his hands as I freeze. My body relaxes against my will, content with the oxygen it's been given for the time being. My panic hasn't diminished in the slightest, but it somehow seems a little more controllable. I don't feel like running and hiding. All I want is to get out of the pool. My grip on Kagami's wrists lessens ever so slightly. When I'm about to run out of air once more, and bubbles escape my lungs, Kagami gives me more air.

Not once does he allow me to pull myself out of the water. Logically, I understand what he's doing, but that doesn't mean I want to follow through with it. I tap his wrist once more, hoping he'll understand and let me out, but Kagami doesn't budge an inch. I get another lungful of air instead. My hands stray from his wrists and hold his hands instead, not pulling them away but keeping them in place. I guess if it's with him, I don't mind being like this, even if I hate it.

Then, after another eternity and two more breaths, Kagami lets me go. My head breaks the surface of the water without hesitation. Even though I've had more than enough air, I take a number of deep breaths and try to brush my hair out of my face so I can see properly. I'm on my own, standing here, without anything physical to keep me anchored in place. My previously contained panic breaks free. Somehow, despite the overwhelming sense of unease and imminent doom, I manage to stay in place, frozen, unmoving.

"Alex?" My eyes lock with Kagami's for just a moment. Before I'm even aware of my movements, my arms are wrapped around his neck and my face is buried into his shoulder. Shudders rip down my spine before I realize I'm blubbering nonsense in English and that half the words probably don't even exist. "I can't understand you." What is it that I'm trying to say? All I know is that I'm very happy to still be breathing. Kagami remains silent and still against me. My nonsense eventually trails into silence.

"Kagami." I breathe, feeling the warmth of his skin combat the coolness of mine. The redhead shifts slightly, his arms wrapping around my torso as I continue to clutch him tighter.

"What is it?" He asks. His voice sounds different somehow. I can't place the change, but it leaves my heart racing.

"I'm not dead." I murmur. "Not dead." One of Kagami's hands is now cradling the back of my head, while the other seems to keep me bound to him.

"That's right. You're fine." Kagami says gently. I nod into his shoulder. I don't feel like ever letting go. I just want to stay here, like this, forever.

"Thank you." I say quietly, watching the surface of the water as it reflects the overhead lights.

"Look at me." He says, moving his hand to the back of my neck. His thumb rubs small circles against it. I look at the redhead hesitantly, trying to read his expression. I can't identify it, and that somehow makes me anxious. "You did real well today, got it?"

I nod slightly, wondering where this is going as he reads my face. "Good." He says. "Can I try one more thing?" I'm sure even he can sense how my pulse nearly doubles, a feat that should be impossible. I still feel breathless, but I nod nonetheless.

"Okay." I say. "But only because it's you." Kagami gives me a wide grin.

"Perfect." I don't know how or why or when things got like this. I don't care how. I don't think about when. Why is a good question, but now irrelevant.

The only thing I can see is red. Red eyes watching me, red hair dripping water on my face. I can feel the water lapping at my shoulders as he moves us toward the edge of the pool. The way his hands feel rough against my neck and my waist. The sound of water is peaceful for once, and the chlorine smells subdued.

Out of all those things, however, just one matters. That which consumes me senses the most is not the feel of water or the sound of my ragged breathing. It isn't the sight of glazed red or the way Kagami's shampoo smells.

It's the taste of his lips as they press against mine. The uncertainty that makes his hold on me a little tighter. The way his eyes are half-opened and starting to show something I don't think I've ever felt. The feel of his chest against mine, the edge of the pool rough against my back, the motions of his body, all seem to trap me. I have no way to explain it.

My mind goes blank. My arms tighten around his shoulders. My eyes close. Kagami's chest presses against mine every time I try to breathe. I wonder what he's thinking, and I wonder what he'll do. Then, as suddenly as this began, it ends as he pulls his lips away from mine. "Please, please, tell me you felt it, too." Kagami groans as his forehead presses against mine. "I can't have been the only one."

Red, red, consuming my vision and leaving the taste of chlorine and mint behind on my lips. "Alex?" My chest is rising and falling rapidly as I try to catch my breath. I watch the way Kagami's eyes widen, I feel the way his grip loosens, and I hear the way his breath hitches. "I'm sorr-"

Kagami doesn't get to finish. I press against his lips for another kiss, swallowing his apology. Hopefully, he can understand what I feel, what I'm trying to show him. His arms wind tighter as I grip his hair. He almost seems frozen, shocked by what I've done. Then Kagami is back, demanding and passionate and forceful, taking all I have to give until I have to breathe. My heart is just about ready to burst from my chest. My lungs still ache for air, but it's an ache I can ignore.

Kagami is silent against me. I don't know whether it's from shock or anger or irritation or surprise. I can't tell what's he's thinking. I'd ask, but embarrassment silences my tongue and makes my face redden. I don't think I can look Kagami in the eye without turning a hundred shades of crimson and tripping over my words. Now that it's silent and everything is still, I'm becoming more and more aware of the water around me and the way it feels against my skin. I place my forehead against Kagami's shoulder and hope that the contact will block out what I sense from the water.

"Let's get you out of the water." Kagami says after a few heartbeats. His hands drop to my waist and he lifts me as high as he dares to place me on the edge of the pool. The tiles feel cold against my skin, making shivers race up and down my arms for a few moments. Kagami pulls himself out directly afterward, sitting beside me. I pull my legs from the water and onto the floor beside me.

"The tiles are cold." I murmur, standing and walking over to grab a towel. "Want yours?" Kagami looks at me and shakes his head.

"Nah, I'll get it myself." He says, standing and rooting through his bag. I towel off, hoping it hides the red that still paints my cheeks. My practice clothes, which are thankfully all dark colors today, are pulled over my damp swimsuit. My hair is still dripping across my shoulders and onto my face, but there's nothing I can do about it, no matter how much I attempt to towel dry it. "Gimme."

My towel is snatched promptly from my hands. Kagami's hair-drying movements are superior to mine. Within a few minutes and me almost falling asleep, he manages to turn it from dripping to damp. "Thanks." I say, smiling up at the taller redhead. He just grins at me before grabbing his bag.

"It's getting a little late, so let's go home." He replies. I nod, grab my backpack, and follow him out the door. I thought things would be more awkward, to be honest, but I'm not complaining. I know things probably won't stay this way, so it's best to enjoy the non-awkward phase of things while it lasts. We're out into the street before I've even realized it.

The walk home is silent for the most part. Kagami has something on his mind judging by the way his hands are fidgeting and the sighs he sounds. I want to let him think, but it seems like he's overthinking whatever this is. "What's on your mind?" I ask, tilting my head sideways. Kagami glances at me.

"Can I ask you something?" He replies, stopping at the street corner. I stop and look at him. He actually looks kind of sick.

"Go for it." I reply. Kagami fidgets a bit more, rubbing imaginary dust from his jacket and adjusting his grip on his bag.

"Go out with me." He says suddenly. my eyes widen.

"Come again?" I reply, my brow furrowing. I don't think I heard that right.

"Go out with me, Alex." He repeats. I open my mouth to reply when he cuts me off. "I know you don't know me very much and I know this seems really sudden but... what ever that was... I want more of it. We have chemistry. Go out with me, Alex." My face flushes, making me feel warm against the crisp air.

"I know that came out of know where, but-"

"Kagami." I halt the redhead in his tracks before he has a chance to somehow embarrass himself. "At least let me answer, ya know?" Kagami's cheeks darken.

"Ah. Yeah." He responds, scratching the back of his head. "So..." This time my cheeks darken once more. 

"Please let me think about it, okay?." I say. Kagami nods and offers me a smile. 

"Oi, Alex." Daiki smacks the back of my head with a mutilated eraser as the teacher dismisses us for the end of the day. Startled, I jump in my seat, slamming my knee into the underside of the desk. A yelp escapes my mouth.

"What, Daiki?" I ask, rubbing the offended knee with a pained expression. "Was it really necessary for you to hit me with that?" I toss the eraser back to him with a long-suffering sigh. Daiki merely huffs.

"You've been spacing out all day." He mutters. "You sick or something?" I shake my head.

"Have I? I guess I just can't concentrate today." I reply, stretching my arms. The blue-haired wonder raises an eyebrow at me.

"You can't concentrate." He repeats, sounding incredulous. I raise an eyebrow in return.

"It would appear so." I say, packing up my things. "Shou- Imayoshi wanted to talk with me after practice today. I wonder what it's about." Daiki shrugs noncommittally and shoulders his backpack. "Anyway, it probably isn't too serious. He didn't look angry or anything." Another shrug from the blue-haired wonder. I begin to question his intelligence for the umpteenth time. 

"You gonna be home late?" He asks as we walk out the door. I'm heading toward the gym, and he's probably only joining me so he can steal some food from poor Sakurai's bento. I give a shrug in response. 

"I dunno. Depends on how much Imayoshi feels like talking. I shouldn't be. I don't plan to make any stops on the way home." I reply easily, pushing through the gym doors. "You just reminded me that I still need to tell him about the schedule, so thanks." Daiki merely grunts in acknowledgement and moves to take the little remaining food of Sakurai's bento. The little sausage octopi are his favorite, I think.

Practice passes by in an uncomfortable blur. Daiki leaves five minutes in to avoid Satsuki, and I can't seem to give practicing my all. I guess I'm just kind of tired. "Hai-chan, that's the third time you let yourself get screened for so long!" Satsuki says suddenly, causing me to snap my attention to her. Surprised, I'm about to reply when the ball collides with my head.

"Ow..." I groan, rubbing my head. "Satsuki, it's dangerous to distract people like that! That could've been my face!" The pinkette simply huffs and rolls her eyes.

"Honestly, Hai-chan, what's with you today? Are you sick?" She asks. "Does your ankle hurt? Your ribs?" I shake my head.

"Sorry, Satsuki." I say sheepishly. "I haven't been able to concentrate on anything all day." Re-lacing my shoes, I glance up at her before shrugging once more. "It's that redhead's fault." I mutter darkly.

"What?" She chirps, peering down at me.

"Nothing." I say, smiling as innocently as possible. "Just thinking about what might be distracting me." Satsuki gives me a rather skeptical glance before sighing. 

"Okay, Hai-chan. Just try to concentrate a little more, okay?" I nod. 

"Of course." I say cheerily. "I'll do my best." My playing improves to normal levels as I distance myself from the events of last night. We scrimmage against each other for the next twenty minutes before Coach Harasawa calls for the end of club activities. 

I wipe the sweat from my face against the bottom of my ancient tee. My bag is half unzipped, and most of the guys are already changing, so I can just shrug on my jacket and go home if necessary. "Oh, Sho- Imayoshi! You wanted to talk to me, yeah?" Imayoshi nods as he walks closer to me. 

"Yeah. I heard about your decision to join softball, and wanted to talk to you about it." He says. "I saw the schedule, too. I don't think that sort of thing is actually humanly possible." I rub the back of my neck in irritation. 

"I think I can, and apparently so do the coaches." I reply calmly. "I'd like to give it a try." Imayoshi shrugs. 

"As long as you show up to games. If you need to take days off, find time to do it. We don't need you injured, and having you sick or unable to play or falling behind in school are all situations we'd rather avoid." He remarks. "Do you understand?" I nod.

"Of course." My retort is nothing short of lippy, but I dislike others underestimating me. I'm not as fragile as they think. I'll do almost anything to meet expectations. For certain scissor-wielding demons of destruction and terror and possibly my death, I'll go to any length. Since Akashi definitely expects me to stay on top of things, I have no choice but to do so. "I'll do my best. If I start slacking off, tell me and I'll work harder." Imayoshi merely raises an eyebrow. 

"Alright. Well, good luck with that." He reciprocates. I nod. 

"Yeah. Thanks." I return, packing up my back. I'm out the door, more or less presentable, in another five minutes. I wonder vaguely if there's any food left in my fridge, or if I'll have to order takeout once more this week. Daiki will probably call if there's nothing in the fridge and I need to get something. Otherwise he'll order takeout or make do with whatever we have. 

My phone buzzes. "Hello?" I answer, adjusting my bag so I can talk and carry it at the same time. 

"Alex, is this you?" I don't recognize the voice on the other end. 

"Who's speaking?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as I continue to walk. 

"It's Janine. Mom wants to talk to you." I raise both my eyebrows. 

"Sorry, Janine. I'm not permitted to talk to that woman. Technically, she's not my mom." It's true, and I know it probably stings. The talking to my parents thing is also true. After I got upset during a phone call and nearly punched the living crap out of Kise, Akashi forbade me from taking their phone calls. "I'll listen to you, if you want, but only for two minutes. Then I'm hanging up." 

A sigh sounds through the phone, like I'm the root cause of many, many problems. "She wants me to stay with you for a while, Alex. Is that okay with you?" Shock causes me to freeze as I walk into my living room. 

"I don't have space for you, Janine. It's a one bedroom place that I'm sharing with a classmate." I can almost hear the curiosity in Janine's next question. 

"Is it a boy?" I laugh. 

"What does it matter? I don't have a place for you to stay, Janine. Even if you wanted to come over, I'd need to talk it over. Besides, what makes you think you can stay here?" Janine is silent for a while. 

"I have something you need." I raise an eyebrow in curiosity once more. Daiki gives me a strange look as I shift my weight to one foot. 

"What's that?" Janine sighs. 

"Let me stay for a while, and I'll get you your birth certificate." My lips curl into a smile. 

"That so? I'm sure something can be arranged, in that case." Janine sighs quietly.

"Get back to me with your answer." I nod and hang up.

"What was that about?" Daiki asks, cocking his head to one side. I give him an appraising glance for a few moments. 

"Janine says that if she stays here a while, she can give me my birth certificate. I need that." I answer. The blue-haired wunderkind sighs. 

"Better call Akashi." He groans. "We all know how that'll go." I shrug. 

"It's worth a try." I dial the dangerous redhead's number. 

"Akashi here." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585K 28.9K 39
Paralyzed from the neck down, a former basketball star wished only for one thing. And like a miracle, he wakes up in a new world, in a new body-- and...
63.4K 1.5K 8
Kuroko got accepted by the Generation of Miracles fairly quickly. The other teams wonder why when Kuroko isn't that talented in basketball, besides p...
133K 4.7K 33
NOW BEING RE-WRITTEN AS 'OVERGROWN' AT ACCOUNT @ginxvras [teiko era] When Hirai Akane arrives at Teiko Middle School, she has a clear set of goals a...
143K 4.3K 42
Mana Mayoi is a transfer student from America, her goal is to defeat the Generation of Miracles, and later become their acquintance, what she not pre...