The Shadowkeeper **Feature S...

By DarcyConroy

** Wattpad Featured Story!** A young girl arouses the wrath of an ancient Scottish water spirit who takes her... More

Technical note on reading this screenplay (skip if you like!)
Scene 1: The Green Chapel
Scene 2 & 3 Lachie, Hamish and dead fish
Scene 4 Brigid gets a visit
Scene 5 Beer in the Pantry
Scene 6 The Sacrifice
Scene 7 and 8 A Room of her own
Scene 9 to 11 The Betrayal
Scene 12 to 16 The Shadowkeeper's Wrath
Scene 22 The Gatekeeper
Scene 23 The Shadowkeeper Watches
Scene 24 to 29 Navigating the Shadow World
Scene 30 A rabbit in a wall
Scene 31 The Fortress of the Hunt
Scene 32 Waylan's Smithy
Scene 33 and 34 The Champions Prepare
Scene 35 to 37 The Hunt Begins
Scene 38 The Lord of the Hunt
Scene 39 Brigid finds her strength
Scene 40 The Shadowkeeper Watches
Scene 41 and 42 Deeper into the Forest
Scene 43 to 45 The Paths of the Lost
Scene 46 The Caillie Oiche
Scene 47 The Shadowkeeper Watches
Scene 48 and 49 Learning to Fly
Scene 50 and 51 The Shadowkeeper makes her move
Scene 52 and 53 Brigid and Bradan
Scene 54 The Keeper and her Shadows
Scene 55 and 56 The Lord and The Dragon
Scene 57 The Return

Scene 17 to 21 Brigid and the Shadowkeeper

1.3K 104 5
By DarcyConroy

Sc. 17 INT - BRIGID & LACHLAN'S BEDROOM - FARMHOUSE - DAY

SFX: ROOSTER CROWING

Brigid wakes, and glances across at Lachie, motionless in his bed. 

BRIGID: Lachie?

No response. She throws back her covers and scrambles down her ladder and jumps on the desk chair under Lachlan's bed, reaching up to shake him.

BRIGID: Lachie! Lachie!

Brigid jumps to the floor, runs to the door and calls down the hallway.

BRIGID: Mom! Mom!

Julia comes running.

JULIA: Brigid, what are you shouting about?

BRIGID: Lachie won't wake up!

Julia reaches over Brigid and shakes her son.

JULIA: Lachie? Lachie!

He can't be woken. Julia puts a hand to his mouth then his forehead. Brigid steps back as her mother takes charge. Deirdre enters and bustles to Julia's side.

DEIRDRE: What's wrong?

JULIA: He's breathing but he's cold... His pulse is slow. Bridge, get me his sugar meter.

Brigid is backing away, terrified.

JULIA: Brigid! Help me!

DEIRDRE: Where is it, Jules?

JULIA: His backpack, front pocket.

Deirdre finds the backpack and withdraws the small, black leather case and hands it to Julia. Deirdre watches as Julia sets about pricking Lachlan's finger and taking his blood sugar.
Brigid reaches for the comfort of her pendant. She watches her mother waiting for results to come up on the display.

JULIA (confused): His blood sugar's fine.

Brigid sprints from the room.

DEIRDRE: Then what? 

The back door SLAMS.

Sc. 18 EXT - FARMYARD - DAY 

Her feet bare, her pajamas soaked by the driving rain not three steps from the slamming back door, Brigid runs across the farmyard and into the forest. 

Sc. 19 EXT - FORESTED HILLSIDE - DAY 

Slipping in the mud, using tree trunks, branches and roots as handholds, Brigid runs desperately up the hill. 

Sc. 20 EXT - THE GREEN CHAPEL - FORESTED HILLSIDE - DAY 

Reaching the spring, Brigid struggles with the necklace and, with strength born of fear, yanks the chain from round her neck and throws it at the pool. 

BRIGID: There, give him back! Give him back! 

The necklace ricochets out of the pool, hitting Brigid painfully on the chin. She shouts into the sky. 

BRIGID: You said it was a fair trade! 

The wind increases and the rain begins to whip around her like a personal tornado. A voice like a howling wind shrieks from the storm, 

SHADOWKEEPER: A fair trade for your insolence, child! It's been a long time since someone has dared steal from me! 

BRIGID: I'm sorry! I didn't... I just... Please, give me my brother back! 

SHADOWKEEPER: But it was what you wanted. 

An image of Brigid's face leans out of the swirling water before her and, in her own voice, repeats her curse of the day before: 

SHADOWKEEPER/WATERY BRIGID: They can both SUFFER! 

BRIGID: But - but I didn't mean it! I was angry! 

Brigid's watery face becomes the face of the hag from the night before and begins circling her again, whipping up the storm. 

SHADOWKEEPER: 'Didn't mean it'?! My stronghold shook with your fury! Your rage wrested from the pool enough life-force to heal a hundred souls! Only your tears and the tears of your family will replenish it. 

BRIGID: But I didn't know! I didn't believe in you when I took it back! PLEASE! 

The Hag's face grows more ferocious as she rises into the storm and looms over the little girl. 

SHADOWKEEPER: You believed enough to give me your trinket. You shall not have him back! 

The Shadowkeeper SHRIEKS again and makes a graceful, dramatic dive for the pool. 

BRIGID: NO!! GIVE HIM BACK!! 

The haggard face plunges into the water and Brigid makes a desperate grab at the Shadowkeeper's watery locks. Brigid gasps as she is lifted from her feet and sucked into the rushing water of the Shadowkeeper's body as it floods the pool.

Sc. 21 EXT - WATERS OF THE GATEWAY - UNKNOWN 

Brigid is tumbling in a watery aurora of color and light. 

Holding her breath, she struggles to find which way is up. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 143K 65
* The Fiction Awards 2020 Winner * In Goodharts, the small town beyond the hills, nobody knows how Ferry Donovan looks. His mother has been keeping h...
911K 11.5K 44
[Featured Story and Wattpad Prize Winner 2014] When Malachi, an exiled murder, activates a magic relic and duplicates his world, he uses his newly fo...
10.4K 896 18
In a world of dragons, magic and technology, a world that has been drastically changed from what we know, the weakest man alive must rise to overcome...
697K 12.4K 39
The Warlock's Chair. A place of magic and adventure. Long ago when the world was young the Faerie races ruled far and wide across the lands of the Ea...