** Wattpad Featured Story!** A young girl arouses the wrath of an ancient Scottish water spirit who takes her brother's soul in revenge. To save him Brigid must journey through the Shadow realm, begging help and proving herself to each of the totem animal spirits of Britain.
Steeped in British mythology and animal lore, The Shadowkeeper is a modern fairy tale written with animation in mind but could also be live action/CGI - lots of CGI!
Back in 2005, The Shadowkeeper came heartbreakingly close to being sold to major production companies thanks to good showing in the three screenwriting competitions I submitted to*. A whirlwind trip to Hollywood for an awards night followed by meetings with managers and production companies had my little heart singing (literally one night, at an Etta James concert at the Hollywood Bowl!) Then reality hit. All of the feedback I received was the same: We love it but there's no audience for adventure stories with a female protagonist, change Brigid to a boy and we'll negotiate. Call me stubborn (the two managers offering me representation did) but I didn't think that was a legitimate "note", I thought it was simple sexism and I refused. Since then, The Shadowkeeper has been in the proverbial drawer but I love Brigid, I think she's a badass little eight year old and I've never given up on her.
It's now ten years later and the attitude to female protagonists appears to be changing so I'm thinking of submitting The Shadowkeeper again but first I thought I'd pop it up here and see what Wattpadders think.
If you like it, I do hope you'll vote and/or comment to let me know whether you'd like to see it on the screen!
Finalist, ScriptP.I.M.P. Competition 2005
Quarter finalist, Academy Nicholl Fellowship 2005
Quarter finalist, Page International Screenwriting Competition 2005
All rights reserved. WGAw Registration: 1065086
Cover Design ©NarrativeDisorder
- Technical note on reading this screenplay (skip if you like!)
- Scene 1: The Green Chapel
- Scene 2 & 3 Lachie, Hamish and dead fish
- Scene 4 Brigid gets a visit
- Scene 5 Beer in the Pantry
- Scene 6 The Sacrifice
- Scene 7 and 8 A Room of her own
- Scene 9 to 11 The Betrayal
- Scene 12 to 16 The Shadowkeeper's Wrath
- Scene 17 to 21 Brigid and the Shadowkeeper
- Scene 22 The Gatekeeper
- Scene 23 The Shadowkeeper Watches
- Scene 24 to 29 Navigating the Shadow World
- Scene 30 A rabbit in a wall
- Scene 31 The Fortress of the Hunt
- Scene 32 Waylan's Smithy
- Scene 33 and 34 The Champions Prepare
- Scene 35 to 37 The Hunt Begins
- Scene 38 The Lord of the Hunt
- Scene 39 Brigid finds her strength
- Scene 40 The Shadowkeeper Watches
- Scene 41 and 42 Deeper into the Forest
- Scene 43 to 45 The Paths of the Lost
- Scene 46 The Caillie Oiche
- Scene 47 The Shadowkeeper Watches
- Scene 48 and 49 Learning to Fly
- Scene 50 and 51 The Shadowkeeper makes her move
- Scene 52 and 53 Brigid and Bradan
- Scene 54 The Keeper and her Shadows
- Scene 55 and 56 The Lord and The Dragon
- Scene 57 The Return