Crossfire

By Coral_G_Swizzle

{Pokemon XY&Z & Alan fanfic} {5th Place in the 2017 Pokémon Watty Awards Romance Category} "He'd trade his gu... More

Warning
Mega & Steven Stones'
Ash vs. Alya
A Dance with Chance
A Fate Meeting
A Dangerous Wager
Late Night Visits
Operation: Z Two
Reunited 1.0
Bit by Bit
Rocks by the Ocean
Unlocking the Secrets of Love...
Risk and Reward
Over Before it Began?
X vs. Y: The League Begins
League Tensions
Tomorrow, the League. The Next Day, Team Flare
Best of the Best: Ash vs. Alan
Trouble in Paradise
Shattered
Caught In the Crossfire
Last Line of Defense
Squishy & Z2: United At Last
Reunited 2.0
Alya's Last Battle and First Goodbye
Until Next Time
20 Facts about Crossfire

Decisions

923 26 0
By Coral_G_Swizzle

"This shows that you and I - Will be the best that the world's ever seen,Because we always will follow this dream!"

***

Alya's PoV

The sun was going down, and the party was over. We said goodbye to our friends, and the three of us went back to the restricted areas of the labs for the night. Professor Sycamore went off to bed, but Alain led me deeper into the building. He opened a pair of double doors that led into a vivarium.

The glass ceiling above let in the little light that was left outside. Grass covered the floor, trees were sprouting up in places, and a fairly large pond was located in the middle. Alain stepped in swiftly, stopping as several pokémon gathered around him. My steps were smaller, wanting to give him some time.

"You look well," he commented as a Linoone stood and rested its front paws on Alain's chest. A Combee hovered by his head.

"You haven't seen them in a long time, have you?" I asked softly, walking over to him. Before I could reach him, I was startled by Garchomp coming out of nowhere and making its way over to Alain with a happy smile on its face.

"No," he answered, looking up at the pokémon he rescued and raised. I watched the two of them and walked over to a rock that was by the water. I looked down at my reflection, it getting distorted when a Marill leaped in, causing ripples.

"H-have you decided what you're going to do? Now that everything is over?" I asked hesitantly. The pokémon seemed to sense the mood and quieted down, but didn't quite leave his side.

"I don't know yet," he replied truthfully.

"I see," I muttered. I heard him sigh and walk over to my rock. I spun around to see him standing about a foot away.

"I may not have known the Director's actual intentions, but I did help him. I made you help him as well. I've caused trouble for many people and pokémon... and made mistakes I can't atone for," he said dejectedly. My face dropped into a frown. "I don't know what I should do."

"I know how guilty you feel about everything that has happened, but all I can say is that it's not your fault. Believe me or not, but it isn't. It shouldn't matter now. All of that is gone and behind us. It's only been a few days, but here we are. Already deciding what to do with our future. Honestly, I don't care about my future anymore, as long as you're in it. Even if we're in different regions across the globe," I confessed with hope that our future together is brighter than what I'd been seeing it as lately.

"So, you're leaving, then?" he asked after a moments pause. I sighed very heavily and got to my feet, taking his hands in mine. As much as I didn't want to go, I knew I needed to leave Kalos. At least for a little while.

"Yeah. I think I am," I whispered. "But not forever. Just for a bit. I need to... clear my head for a while."

"Alola is far away. Furthest region you can get from Kalos," he pointed out, his eyes downcast. I looked over his shoulder, seeing all the pokémon look at us curiously. Garchomp had its head lowered as we talked, most likely understanding the heavy situation.

"It's all right. I get that you don't want to leave them. Not again, anyways. I'm not asking you to come with me." He sighed much heavier, his hands squeezing my own. He didn't get a chance to reply to me as the sound of shattering glass and the scream of Pikachu was heard from the room the party was held in.

We both took off into a sprint towards the cries of distress. Apparently, our friends hadn't left the labs yet. My breaths came short, my body telling me that I wasn't quite ready to be back in action quite yet, but I didn't listen to it.

"What happened?" Alain asked for the both of us as we entered the room we were in earlier.

"They took Pikachu!" Bonnie exclaimed before Ash could, pointing up at the large, gaping hole that was now in the wall.

"Team Rocket. You guys again?!" Ash growled in frustration. The Meowth hot air balloon hovered just outside the hole, a large metal arm retracting back to it with Pikachu in its grasp. I knew what was coming next. I tuned our their speech and instead sent out my Rapidash, ready for the inevitable battle.

"You guys shall release Pikachu!" Professor Sycamore shouted up to them, finally joining in on the chaos.

"Shall release? You shall stop giving us orders in that condescending attitude!" Jessie spat.

"You see, this Pikachu will be our souvenir as we make our triumphant return to Kanto!" James explained. At least they won't bother me in Alola...

"We won't let you do this. Greninja, Water Shuriken!" Ash declared, releasing his pokémon.

"Gourgeist, Shadow Ball!"

"Inkay, Psybeam!" The two Team Rocket members sent out their signature pokémon. Greninja was able to block both attacks, but I wasn't about to let him fight alone. This might be my last chance to battle alongside him and see him in action.

"Use Seed Bomb next!" Jessie ordered her Gourgeist.

"Charizard, Flamethrower!" Alain jumped in. A smirk grew on my face.

"Use Flamethrower first," I grinned. Rapidash sent out her flame, just as Charizard did. The fire from each pokémon mixed, creating a much larger stream that was extra effective on Gourgeist, sending it flying through the air.

"Argh, let's get them too!" Jessie yelled in frustration. James' next words were lost to me when the arm that once held Pikachu began sucking in the air around us in a tremendous force.

"Greninja, use Cut to destroy that device!" Ash managed to get the command out, even with the device sucking the air from our lungs. Alain's arm slithered around my waist, holding me in place so I wouldn't get sucked up. I closed my eyes waiting for Greninja to do its job. A few seconds later, and I could breathe normally thanks to Ash's pokémon. Along with the Water Type destroying the arm, Greninja also saved Pikachu.

"Now you've done it!" Meowth seethed.

"Psybeam!"

"Dark Pulse!" Inkay and Gourgeist powered up their moves, and my mouth opened, ready to give Rapidash another command. Although, I was surprised to see Serena's Braixen and Clemont's Chespin jump into battle and deflect the attacks. I looked back at them and smiled, before returning to the battle. Both Ash and Alain gave me nods, ready to deliver the final blows.

"Pikachu, Thunderbolt!"

"Charizard, Flamethrower!"

"Fire Blast, Rapidash!" The attacks hit their target, causing the hot air balloon to explode and smoke to billow out in all directions. Parts were sent flying through the air, along with the members of Team Rocket. They blasted off into the sky, disappearing from our sight.

"You two really are amazing," Ash complimented when everything was clear.

"So are you, Ash," Alain responded as equally as affectionate. I nodded enthusiastically in agreement.

"And that's coming from a Champion and a half," I grinned, elbowing Alain in a teasing way. He swooped down to give me a peck on the cheek, which shocked us all. Neither of us had been keen on public displays of affection, him more so than I. But I guess now that everything was over, he'd overcome many things, and we were free to do whatever we pleased.

"Well, then..." Professor Sycamore trailed off in annoyance. He all turned to look at him to see him staring up at the massive hole in his labs. "Time to repair this. Again."

***

The next day after that was spent fixing the hole and thinking. Ash, Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont went back to the gym to watch the first gym battle since it was destroyed. It was tiring work, filled with nothing but meaningless small talk. It was nice, but it didn't distract me from the weight of me leaving in a few days, maybe less. We hadn't finished by the time the sun began to set. Sycamore had us put a large tarp over it and call it a day.

"Go clean up. I have something very special planned after this," Professor Sycamore instructed us. The two of us nodded and returned to Alain's room. We slept in the same bed for the first time last night and... it was very awkward to say the least. Nothing happened though. Just much appreciated sleep.

We took turns taking a shower and changing clothes, before heading back to the main hall. When we got there, the gang was there, including Mairin, as well. Professor stood in front of the stairs with our friends spread out in front of him. When he saw that we entered, he clapped his hands together.

"All right, now that you're all gathered together again, it's time for the Kalos League award ceremony," he began.

"Award ceremony?" Ash asked curiously. I took up Alain's hand, knowing exactly what he was talking about. I could already feel the excitement building up for Ash and Alain, but I also knew what I had to do, which filled me with a sense of dread.

"Oh, right. It was interrupted because of the trouble with Team Flare," Serena explained.

"I see. So this is where you and Alain will..." Clemont smiled, but was cut off by his sister.

"In that case, let's award everyone!"

"Everyone?" Mairin asked, her eyes wide.

"After all, we all fought really hard against Team Flare, right? So that's why..."

"Of course. That's what I had planned," Sycamore grinned. As he finished, two women in labs coats walked in. The shorter one of the two carried a wooden box over to the Professor. He reached inside and held up a red ribbon with a golden pokéball pendant. "Glory to you Trainers, as well as your Pokémon."

"So, we're all getting awards?" I asked skeptically. He just nodded and stepped over to Ash.

"Congratulations on coming in second place at the Kalos League," he said, slipping the award around Ash's neck.

"Thank you very much," Ash bowed in thanks.

"Congratulations," Sycamore said proudly, delicately putting the award over Alain's head. He stepped back, admiring him like a father would. "Alain, what do you think? Wanna help me with my research again?"

"I..." Alain looked taken aback, his eyes widening at the question. He looked to me with conflicted eyes.

"I'm lacking aides. And considering the state Lumiose is in... I need you." Alain looked at the ground, his shoulders sagging. I squeezed his hand. I was hoping he would remember our conversation that we had yesterday. I knew how happy he was working with Professor Sycamore before, I wouldn't want to tear him away from that. He looked to me once more, and I gave him a smile, though I didn't show how forced it was. Of course I wanted him to be happy, but no one could help being selfish.

"Okay." He nodded to Sycamore, confirming that he'd stay and help.

"I'm so glad for you, Alain!" Mairin shouted gleefully.

"Me too," I whispered, looking down at my shoes, sadness creeping into my voice.

"I know you're an adventurer, but there is always room for you too," Sycamore spoke, sliding an award around my neck. I looked up to him, giving him a weak smile.

"Thanks," I mumbled. He studied me for a moment, before moving on to the rest of the group. He even had us take out our pokémon to give them awards of their own. Once all of them were distributed, I decided to make my announcement. I stepped in front of everyone and waved my hands in the air to get everyone's attention. Once I had it, I began.

"So, Team Flare has been defeated, and everything is going back to normal. Most of us are parting ways, and I'm no different. I'll be leaving for the Alola region here soon. I need somewhere to calm down after all this. I-I've also decided to give up my part-time position of Hoenn Champion."

My last sentence sent all of them into disarray. All of them began talking over themselves.

"Can you do that?"

"Why would you do that?"

"What will Steven say?" My face fell as I looked upon all of their faces conveyed worry, concern, and even sadness.

"Guys!" I shouted over them. They all fell silent once again. "I wasn't the actual Champion. Steven can handle it all on his own. He did it once, he can do it again. I'm just a teenager. I never thought all of this would be so tough. I'm not cut out for saving the world or battling the region's finest. I'm just like all of you. I just need to clear my head for a bit. It isn't the end of the world, and you all saw what that was like for real," I tried to joke.

"That's mighty brave of you, Alya," Professor Sycamore commented fondly. I nodded my head, not able to speak further. Everyone looked upon me in silence as I returned to Alain's side. He'd been the calmest, hearing all of that before, well most of it.

After my announcement, we were all arranged and seated on the steps for a group picture. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders now that I had spoken my mind. I was seated next to Alain, right in the center of everyone. My lips took on the biggest grin it could muster as the camera flashed. The wonderful thing is... it wasn't forced.

***

"10!"
"9!"
"8!"
"7!"
"6!'
"5!"
"4!"
"3!"
"2!"
"1!"

Everyone shouted in unison, counting down the seconds as the city gathered around Prism Tower. At once, the Tower lit up like a Christmas Tree. Shouts and cheers erupted around me. I could hear the joyous screams of Bonnie and Mairin when the fireworks shot off, creating a beautiful painting against the night sky. But the only fireworks I paid attention to, were the ones in my stomach as Alain pulled me close and kissed me like he's never done before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

951K 12.1K 84
Pσƙéɱσɳ Sҽɾιҽʂ: BOOK 1 Meet Yuna Destiny Mew Ketchum, a young girl who has big and amazing dream and goal to achieve and complete in the World of Pok...
35.5K 579 20
After Ash beats Alain in the Kalos League, Ash has won the Kalos Leauge. He's given the chance from Diantha to come back in a little bit to challenge...
53.1K 628 32
After defeating Team Flare Ash,Pikachu,Clemont,Serena,and Bonnie were meeting with Z-2 and Squishy they were talking about how Greninja has to stay i...
42.7K 818 38
Former Alola League champion and Current member of the Kalos Elite 4, Uila (oo-ee-la) Naga sets off to the Galar Reigon, in hopes of growing on her p...