Playing With Chance

By AngelHidingHorns

Playing with chance? Not a good idea. Eventually it will throw something at you that you don't know how to... More

Playing With Chance - Chapter 1
Playing With Chance - Chapter 2
Playing With Chance - Chapter 3
Playing With Chance - Chapter 4
Playing With Chance - Chapter 5
Playing With Chance - Chapter 6
Playing With Chance - Chapter 7
Playing With Chance - Chapter 8
Playing With Chance - Chapter 9
Playing With Chance - Chapter 10
Playing With Chance - Chapter 11
Playing With Chance - Chapter 12
Playing With Chance - Chapter 13
Playing With Chance - Chapter 14
Playing With Chance - Chapter 15
Playing With Chance - Chapter 16
Playing With Chance - Chapter 17
Playing With Chance - Chapter 18
Playing With Chance - Chapter 19
Playing With Chance - Chapter 20
Playing With Chance - Chapter 22
Playing With Chance - Chapter 23
Playing With Chance - Chapter 24
Playing With Chance - Chapter 25
Playing With Chance - Chapter 26
Playing With Chance - Chapter 27
Playing With Chance - Chapter 28
Playing With Chance - Chapter 29
Playing With Chance - Chapter 30
Playing With Chance - Chapter 31
Playing With Chance - Epilogue

Playing With Chance - Chapter 21

2.9K 93 25
By AngelHidingHorns

I'm not sure how fun it is to watch a football game, but I guess that's what I'm going to do today.

That's okay. I'm going to make it fun. Make sure Chance gets knocked in the head a few times, watch him fall on his butt, laugh when he gets sacked. How could someone not have fun while they're doing something like that? It's too comical.

Now.... What's the best way to distract a guy?

Heels?

Unfortunately that would be a yes.

Dress?

It would probably be the most effective, but I don't think it's a good idea at a park. I would get cold.

Skinny jeans with a white t-shirt?

Much better.

I should also bring a blanket, so I don't get cold regardless of the fact that I'm dressing 'appropriately' for the activity. Well, minus the heels.

If all else fails, and the blanket get's annoying, I can just pawn if off on one of the girls that decided to go with the dress.

"Looks like I'm ready," I mumbled looking at myself in the mirror.

There was a knock on my door, and I rushed downstairs as fast at my shoes would allow.

I grabbed my keys, and opened the door.

"Catch," I said throwing my keys to Hero, "Be nice to my car."

Brandy was riding with her new boyfriend, and I didn't feel like driving. That might be because I would be as good at finding the park as I was at finding the ice cream shop, but that's not really important.

I gave my blanket to Hero, and started to walk to Chance's car. Without questioning me Chance opened the passenger door.

"Not fair," Hero mumbled looking that the beauty that was Chance's car.

"Don't wine. I'm letting you drive mine," I told him laughing.

"Fine," he grumbled getting into my car.

"On ward my trusty stallion, football awaits!" I yelled pointing at the road as Chance started the car.

"I'm worried," Chance said glancing at me out of the corner of his eye, "You don't know anything about football. Why are you excited?"

I shrugged, hoping he wouldn't guess why I was excited.

"Do I need to watch my back, or do I just need to not be surprised when you start cheering for the other team?"

"I don't know. Both, probably."

"At least I have some warning, but don't forget that Hero has your keys, and he won't be too happy with you if you cause us to lose."

"You wouldn't let me freeze to death in the park. You love me too much for that."

He sighed, and shook his head at me, "Yeah, I know."

I grinned started to look out the window.

"How far away is the park?" I asked noticing that we'd been in the car for about twenty minutes.

"It's in another town. I was the one that wanted to set this up, so they insisted that we be the ones that travel. Think of it as an away game."

"How far away would this other town be?" I asked scrunching up my nose.

"Don't know. I don't usually go the speed limit, but I can't lose Hero this time."

I sighed and leaned my head against the window.

For the rest of the ride we sat in a comfortable silence as I watched the trees, and the occasional small town, flash by.

By the time Chance pulled into the parking lot of a fairly large park, I was more than eager to get out of the car, but I did wait until Chance opened the door.

Not like it was a long wait. He was probably faster than me, but I stayed patiently in the car as he walked around.

He held his arm out for me to take. I smiled at him and fought the giggles that were threatening to come out at his gesture, but accepted it regardless.

As I looked around at the field I felt glad that I had someone to hold on to.

Crowds aren't really my thing. I can handle them, but I'm always slightly..... let's call it uncomfortable.... with them.

It didn't help that all of the people had stopped what they were doing so they could stare at me.

Some looked like they were in awe of me, some just looked curious, others looked slightly jealous, but all of them were looking at me.

I held my head up high, and started to walk with Chance over to who I assume was the other team's captain.

Hero came up beside me, and offered me an encouraging smile, "Don't worry about it. They're only looking because you just showed up with the quarterback of the team they're playing against," he whispered in my ear so quietly I could barely make out the words.

I gave him a grateful smile, and looked back to the people in front of me.

At this point most of them were talking quietly to their friends, while sneaking little glances at me when they thought I wasn't looking.

The only person that didn't seem surprised at all by my appearance was the guy Chance was leading me to.

He had a big grin as he studied me, but he didn't seem quiet as bad as most of the people.

"So, you found her already?" he asked as we got closer.

Chance started to whisper something under his breath, but I couldn't make out any of it. I guess the guy could because he got a look of understanding on his face, and he nodded his head at Chance.

How is that possible? I'm closer to him.

"Elizabeth, Hero, I would like you to meet my cousin, Derek. We're going to be playing against his pa... team. Derek, this is my girlfriend, and my friend, Hero."

I looked at him confused, but didn't correct him.

"Nice to meet you Elizabeth," Derek said smiling at me before turning to look at Hero. He studied him for a second before saying, "I'm going to assume that you're playing?"

"Of course," Hero replied with just a little arrogance.

I don't think he's too happy with Derek.

Derek raised his eyebrow at Hero's answer, but didn't comment on it when he turned to talk to Chance again, "It's good to see you again. I'm glad you set this up."

"It should be fun," Chance said looking around at all the people who were still staring at me.

"Do you think all your players are here yet?" Derek asked looking out over the crowd too.

"They should be, but I should probably go look."

"Get to it. I can't wait to start the game."

"Alpha?" a guy asked walking over to us, "Has someone set up the end zones yet?"

"I told someone to do it, but you should probably go check and do it if someone hasn't already," he said with a look of concentration.

"Of course," he said turning around, and jogging across the field.

"We need to see if everyone's here," Chance said pulling me toward the swarm of people.

"Hey!" he shouted across the field, making it dead silent in a second, "I need all the people who are playing for my team to come here."

I watched as the crowd immediately started to stir as people started to walk toward us.

With in a few seconds everything was still, and we were surrounded by people. Some I recognized from school, but others were completely unfamiliar.

Chance scanned his eyes over the crowd for a second before getting a satisfied look, and turning to look at me, "We're going to go warm up. You should probably go find Brandy and get some food."

I nodded at him and started to walk toward a group of girls.

"Marco!" I yelled, earning more than a few strange looks.

"Polo!" Brandy called from behind me.

"Food?" I asked when she was beside me.

"Sounds good."

"Where do we find food?"

"Over here," she said dragging me over to one of the tables.

"Why is football so boring?" I asked looking at Brandy.

"Are you kidding?" she asked looking at for a brief second, "This is the best game I've ever seen!"

"Me too," I said letting fake joy enter my voice.

"You've seen Hero get tackled twice now, and you're not happy?"

Note that she only said Hero. Chance hadn't lost his footing, been tackled, or ended up laying on the ground for some other reason yet.

That is what I wanted to see. Sure it was fun watching Hero take a tackle so Chance could keep the ball, but really. Not once?

Even when I tried to distract him, he always seemed to be looking at the ball when it was coming toward him.

I watched as Hero took Derek to the ground before he could throw the football.

Got to find something more interesting to do.....

Standing up I looked around.

"I'm going to go climb a tree," I told Brandy as I walked off.

"Have fun!" she called without taking her eyes off her boyfriend.

"Of course."

Good tree, good tree.

That one should work......

I smiled and kicked off my shoes.

Too bad I didn't wear better shoes. Going barefoot, I'm probably going to get splinters.

Oh well... Without shoes I'll have better traction anyways.

The first couple branches were just within reach of my arms, making it a simple matter to climb up into them.

I didn't stop at the lower branches though. Instead I started to climb up as far as I thought the branches could hold me.

Trees are amazing.

Gotta love the view you get when you're sitting in the higher branches of one.

The football game was much more interesting from here.

Doesn't mean it caught my attention for long, but it was cooler to be able to see everything.

Let's see what else is in this park......

I smiled as I saw a dad pushing his daughter on a swing.

Wish I still had my dad...

He wouldn't be pushing me on a swing if he were still alive, but he would at least be there to glare at Chance when he came over, and he would be there to comfort me when I woke up from nightmares.

Haven't had those for a while now, but I'm sure my dad would have been a big comfort when I was.

Of course I wouldn't have had nightmares at all if I hadn't been the one to find him.......

Need to find something else to look at.

I blinked away the few tears that had threatened to spill out, and started to look around.

"Elizabeth?" I heard a voice call from below me.

Looking down I saw someone who was starting to become familiar.

Not that I've ever talked to him, but I see him a lot.

"Yeah?" I asked trying to keep the slight tremor out of my voice.

"I" He started to say before he got cut off by someone else calling my name.

I turned around to see Chance coming from the other direction.

"Up here!" I yelled down to him before looking back to the guy that was finally going to say hi.

At least I would have been looking at him if he hadn't pulled a Houdini again.

Seriously? How do you do that in a park.

I thought there was too much open space for something like that, but no. He has the ability to disappear.

"How did you get up there?" Chance asked, pulling my attention away from the empty air that I swear was occupied a few seconds ago.

"I'm a ninja," I answered, keeping the unease out of my voice.

"Do ninjas jump out of trees when they're up that high?"

"If they trust the person waiting at the bottom to catch them."

He held out his arms, inviting me to jump.

I dangled my legs over the side, and let myself fall into his waiting arms.

"What were you doing in the tree?" he asked as he started to walk back to the clearing.

"Getting a better view of the football game?"

He gave me a disbelieving look, and I smiled.

"Did you win?"

"You should know the answer to that since you had such a good view.

"I said I had a good view. Not that I was fluent in jock. I have no clue what happened."

"Yes we won."

"Good job," I said smiling at him.

This was fun.

Unless you count anything that happened.

Of course there is one thing that I find interesting.

"So?" I asked Chance remembering how he introduced me, "Am I really your girlfriend?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 6K 23
He won't let me go because he needs me? Why does he need me? I'm not special. I'm the quiet reader that stays by herself in school. Nobody needs me b...
410 100 22
What you don't know can hurt you. What your unaware of can kill. Curiosity killed the friends.
31.7K 773 41
I looked at him fear soon enveloping me. My heart starts pounding, my palms become sweaty, I feel my face lose its colour as I become pale. I beg him...
4.7K 88 9
SOKEEFE!!!!! The beginning isn't the strongest but if you stick you it, it gets rlly good around "hostage"