Love and Revenge (Complete)

By writersblockcentral

Annie Bloom is an average girl. She's in college, has a best friend, works, and studies. Yet one day she fi... More

Chapter 1: Friendship and Family (EDITED)
Chapter 2: The Beginning of the End (EDITED)
Chapter 3: Surprise and Attack (EDITED)
Chapter 4: Back From the Dead (EDITED)
Chapter 5: Healing (EDITED)
Chapter 7: Forgiveness and Flirting (EDITED)
Chapter 8: The Past in Present Heartache (EDITED)
Chapter 9: The Return (EDITED)
Chapter 10: Friends in Strange Places (EDITED)
Chapter 11: Hotel Awkward (EDITED)
Chapter 12: It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To (EDITED)
Chapter 13: Selective Amnesia (EDITED)
Chapter 14: Cruel Games and Fake Friends (EDITED)
Chapter 15: Broken Trust (EDITED)
Chapter 16: Moving Forward (EDITED)
Chapter 17: Not Forgiven (EDITED)
Chapter 18: Stubborn Resolve (EDITED)
Chapter 19: The Plot Thickens (EDITED)
Chapter 20: Playing Offense (EDITED)
Chapter 21: Leads and Arguments (EDITED)
Chapter 22: A New Beginning and Old Truths (EDITED)
Chapter 23: And Curiosity Killed the Cat (EDITED)
Chapter 24: Heartbreak (EDITED)
Chapter 25: Attempting Life (EDITED)
Chapter 26: Missing (EDITED)
Chapter 27: Like a Lamb to the Slaughter (EDITED)
Chapter 28: The Flight (EDITED)

Chapter 6: The Pain of Going Home (EDITED)

120 5 4
By writersblockcentral

The drive home flew by. I blinked and we were suddenly back at mine and Becca's crappy apartment complex. Will pulled into one of the unplowed parking spots and got out with Becca, standing by my door. I wrapped my arm around Will's shoulders as he carefully helped me out and we began walking toward the old brick building. Becca tried to take my other side but Will brushed her off and said it wasn't necessary. It made me wonder just how physically strong Will was. I knew I wasn't the lightest person and my weight didn't seem to even phase him.

We slowly progressed toward the rusty stairs and I felt my strength completely draining from my body. The cold soaked my bones, stealing what little coordination I had and I tripped. My eyes squeezed shut and my body tensed, making me gasp in pain. After a moment when nothing happened, I opened my eyes to see Will holding me to his body.

My voice got caught in my throat and all I could do was stare at him. I suddenly became extremely aware that I was pressed tightly to his warm, muscular body. His expression morphed from concerned to curious as he studied my face. A loud cough broke me from his gaze and he relaxed his grip on me slightly.

"You okay Annalise?" Becca's voice called back.

"Um...yeah, I'm fine. Thanks Will." I muttered, not meeting his eyes.

"You're welcome." I could feel his deep voice rumbling through his chest into me. My cheeks flamed and I tried to pull away, but his grip was too tight. I finally met his eyes again to see why he was still holding me and was met with a thoughtful look. "I think I'd better just carry you in. You're not going to be able to make it up those rickety metal stairs anyway and I don't want to risk you tripping again."

I wanted to disagree but I found my voice too late. He'd already smoothly hoisted me up into his arms. At this point, I found it best to just do my best to pretend nothing was happening and hope my blush went away. Becca turned away quickly, but if I had to guess I'd say I saw a hint of a smile on her face.

He walked quickly but still managed to keep from jostling me much. As he walked, I couldn't help but admire how strong he was. He acted like my body weighed nothing, and even as he went up the stairs he didn't hesitate once. Becca walked in front of us and unlocked the door, holding it open for him as he brought me inside. He walked instantly down the hall to my bedroom and laid me down on the bed gently, Becca following behind.

"Welcome home Annie." Will softly smiled.

Becca stepped forward and lightly grabbed my hand, smiling. "I'm so glad you're back. Before you know it you'll be all better."

"Thanks guys. I really appreciate everything you've both done for me."

Becca mumbled a 'no problem' before leaving the room. I glanced up at Will, wondering why he hadn't said anything when I thanked him.  His warm brown eyes looked glazed over, as if lost in thought.

"Will? You okay? You've been really quiet."

His gaze finally flickered back over to me and he seemed to shake himself out of his odd mood and smiled.

"I'm fine Annie. Just glad you're finally home," he paused, looking concerned, "you must be tired after walking like that when you haven't walked that much all week. You should try to sleep."

I grimaced a bit in embarrassment. I only walked a few yards, with heavy support at that. But he was right, unfortunately. I was exhausted now. I sighed.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll take a nap..." I trailed off, wanting to ask him to stay with me even though I knew it was a selfish request. I mean, he's just spent the whole week sleeping in awful hospital chairs. How could I ask more of him?

He just looked at me for a moment, probably waiting for me to say what was in my mind. When I didn't, he nodded and walked out without another word.

As I relaxed and began drifting off (curse you, painkillers!) I wished I'd just asked. I knew my nightmares were just waiting under the surface for me. Before I could call out to him to wait, I was asleep.

I don't know how long I slept before I began dreaming. Colors were swirling in front of my eyes until they finally settled in a familiar scene. I was in the middle of the concrete alley, watching myself walk into danger.

"Don't go there!" I tried yelling at myself, but my voice was mute. There was no sound and I could do nothing but watch the back of my curly, brown hair tied in a bun as I walked forward.

I watched every cruel detail of each hit and kick, unable to move, unable to stop it. I watched the two masked people hitting me with all their strength and I felt sick. Tears were already streaming down my face, watching myself get beaten to the ground.

Finally, the last hit came. I tried my best to close my eyes or look away for what came next, but I couldn't. My muscles were frozen in place as one of the attackers kneeled down over me, brandishing a knife. I watched as they stabbed deep into my body, inflicting as much pain as they could. I could remember the searing, ripping, boiling pain as though it were happening all over again.

My memory of the incident cut out after this, but for some reason my dream continued. The attacker who'd stabbed me leaned over and whispered something in my ear. I could almost hear it. I strained to remember but it remained just out of reach, just a tickle of remembrance.

Before I could force the forgotten memory, the attacker pulled away. I watched myself bleeding on the sidewalk, dying. Tears dropped from my eyes and I was suddenly being shaken awake, the crimson blood the last thing I saw.

"Wake...Annalee wake...come on, wake up!" The voice that was shaking me from my nightmare was fading in and out until I finally broke through the surface of my sleep.

My eyes burst open to see darkness and I realized I'd been screaming and crying in my sleep.

"Annalee, look at me, you're awake now." My shoulder was being gently shaken and I looked in the direction of the voice. My eyes finally adjusted to the darkness and I sobbed in relief to see Will kneeling beside my bed, wearing a white t shirt that stood out in the darkness.

The moment he saw I was looking at him, he grabbed me and hugged me to him tightly.

"It was just a dream Annie. You're okay." He muttered softly in my ear, letting me cry into his shirt.

I soaked in his warmth and let him soothe me. An eternity later, once my tears had dried a bit, he pulled away from me, gently laying me back down.

"What happened?" He whispered, eyes searching mine.

"I saw...I saw it all happening again." My stuttering breath made it hard to speak clearly.

"I'm so sorry. You're going to be okay Annie. Nobody will ever touch you like that again, I swear."

I watched his expression harden in determination and wondered how I got so lucky to have him as a friend.

"Will? Do you..do you think you could hold me tonight?"

He looked away, avoiding my gaze. I suddenly knew he wouldn't do it.

"Never mind. I'll be...I'll be okay." I muttered softly, holding back tears.

He paused for a moment before finally climbing into the bed beside me, pulling me into his side without a word.

I felt guilty for pushing him to do something he didn't want to, but I was too shaken from my dream to push him away.

"Thank you. I know I keep asking for a lot from you, but I appreciate it." I mumbled softly as I nestled myself into his body, taking strength from his solidity.

As absorbed his warmth my eyes began to drift close yet again, only this time there was no fear waiting for me beyond my consciousness with Will by my side.

&&&&&&&&&&&&

The next morning my eyelids began to flutter open when light from my tiny window slid across them. I slowly blinked myself awake and stretched as I woke up, regretting my actions immediately as red-hot pain flared from my abdomen.

I groaned lightly, falling flat on my back and gripping the sheets tightly until the pain faded a bit. Once I was feeling a bit more normal, the urge to go to the bathroom hit me like a brick. I realized I'd gone maybe once the previous day and my bladder felt like it was about to burst.

I carefully and slowly sat myself up, dropping my legs off the side of the bed before heavily supporting myself on the wall and shuffling toward the bedroom door. It soundlessly opened and I began to walk forward when I heard quiet voices coming from Becca's room.

I would have ignored them if I hadn't heard my name mentioned. Despite feeling like I shouldn't be eavesdropping like this, I listened closely to hear what I could from outside her room.

"...last night. It didn't mean anything, I swear." I immediately recognized Will's voice.

"You can't...too close to her. We've talked about this...promise me you'll back off."

"There's nothing to worry about. Annie is nothing, just...Last night was an inconvenience. I didn't want to help her...I'm with you."

My mind was spinning. I felt betrayed. Why would he say that? I guess I overestimated our friendship. And what was going on between Becca and Will? Why would she care about how close he was to me?

I heard movement coming from her room and knew I was about to be discovered, but I couldn't move quickly. I would have run and pretended that I didn't hear anything if I'd had the ability to.

The door swung open and I stared with wide eyes at Will, who was walking out. His gaze met mine, expression surprised and a bit ashamed.

Becca walked out beside Will and looked at me, expression nearly matching Will's. Before they had a chance to say anything, I wanted to know the truth. "Are you two dating or something?" It was the only thing I could think of that might explain that weird conversation.

Becca looked between me and Will, and as Will opened his mouth to respond, she interrupted him.

"Yes we are. I'm so sorry you found out like this," she stepped forward, gently grasping my hand in hers. She looked truly concerned, and I couldn't find any lies in her face. "We weren't sure how serious this was and we didn't want to add anything on to you right now. I hope you can forgive us for keeping it from you."

I searched Becca's expression, looking for the truth, and I saw nothing but earnestness. Looking at Will, I saw him clenching his jaw, expression guarded. I had no idea what to make of the situation, and once the shock had passed I was left with exhaustion tinged with anger.

"No I understand. It's...fine. As long as you're happy." My eyes were trained on Becca, refusing to look at Will after what I overheard.

I knew he didn't want to help me so much, but I went and pushed it anyway. And in the shame and guilt I was feeling, I couldn't shake the frustration and anger at him for feeling that way. He should have just told me. I wouldn't have pushed it. I couldn't believe he would say I was nothing to him. I didn't want us to be together or anything, but I thought he was my best friend, and I guess he didn't feel the same way.

After a few awkward seconds, I finally broke the silence. "I was just going to the bathroom. Excuse me."

I brushed past them and haltingly made the trek to the bathroom Becca and I shared. Once I finally sank down on the toilet, my body was on fire. I wasn't sure I'd make it the whole way back by myself, but I knew I'd have to try. I fought back the rising wave of emotions threatening to flood me, and once I'd finished my business, I slowly stood.

I made the painful journey to the door, opening it with the kind of effort I never thought turning a doorknob would take. The second the door swung open, I was confronted with Will's strong frame towering over me. I briefly met his eyes before turning my gaze away. His eyes were guarded, as I should have expected. Regardless of my expectation, the emotionless look in his eyes stabbed through me harshly.

"Let me help you back to your room Annie." He said, reaching for me.

"No!" I yelled, moving back way too quickly for my broken body to appreciate. "I...I mean, no thanks. I'm fine."

I steeled myself, absolutely refusing to allow him to help me anymore. I kept my eyes trained on his arm until he sighed and stepped back a bit. I stepped forward, brushing closer to his warmth than I was comfortable with. I stumbled my way back down the hall to my room, feeling his eyes on me every step.

Once I got to my room, I sunk gratefully onto my bed. That journey was more than I should have made alone.

I sat, wondering what I could do to keep Will's words off my mind. A thought suddenly flashed across my mind, striking like lightning. Maybe I should text Jaime? After all, he was so nice and cute, and he saved my life.

Smiling to myself, I grabbed my phone off the pillow and brought up his contact.

Hi, this is Annalee. I wanted to say thank you again for saving my life.

I sent the message, hoping he wasn't just being polite when he told me to text him. I was shocked when a ding came almost immediately.

I'm just glad you're okay. Would you like to say thank you face to face sometime soon?

His forwardness shocked me, but I found myself smiling. I found myself going back and forth on whether it was the right time to be meeting someone new like this, but I finally came to a decision.

I would love to.

Author's Note:
Thanks for reading this far into the edited version of my story! I know this chapter wasn't here in the original, but I'm changing some things up with the plot, so bear with me. Please let me know if you like it, or any thoughts you might have!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478K 28K 38
"Don't leave, Annie. We can figure this out." I'm begging and just when I think she's going to give in, she turns and starts to walk away. I can feel...
2.1M 83.2K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...
503K 17.5K 34
"Desperate people are the most dangerous." Miracle Hope Carson has nothing more to ask for her life. She may be a nut-head, anti-social potato and wi...
UNEXPECTED By Nisha Rinitta

Mystery / Thriller

1.4K 375 29
Rose is a college student whose life is really happy with her friends and her true love. everything is normal until one day when a series of unexpect...