Fire and Ice

By summerstorm

A secret. A war. An eternal battle. Alantra is the proud daughter of an Ilton diplomat, a strong young woman... More

New story idea. Let me know what you think.
Fire and Ice - Part 1
Fire and Ice - Part 2
Fire and Ice - Part 3
Fire and Ice - part 4
Fire and Ice - Part 5
Fire and Ice - Part 7
Fire and Ice - Part 8
Fire and Ice - Part 9
Fire and Ice. Part 10
Fire and Ice - Part 11
Fire and Ice - Part 12
Fire and Ice - Part 13
Fire and Ice - part 14
Fire and Ice - part 15

Fire and Ice - Part 6

735 24 11
By summerstorm

Chapter 6

I paced my room, barely withholding the urge to jump around screaming, instead i satisfied myself with kicking out at my open suitcase viciously. Hitting the corner with my cold toes i felt my eyes bug and i fell on the bed, holding my throbbing foot, biting back my yells of frustration.

Flashback.

"We both know where this is heading Sandidge. We've been at the same problem for over a week, i think we both have to admit that there is nothing that can be done".

"Unfortunately i think you may be right my dear" he said sadly, but i saw through his rouse.

"So what happens now?"

He looked at me in surprise, "Well i expected that you would wish to return home?"

I narrowed my eyes, "I didn't expect that you would allow me to do so" i said slowly.

His eyes widened in surprise, "Alantra, i may be a hard man, but i am not without honour, you came here on peaceful terms and that is how you and your men shall leave. You have done nothing wrong whilst on our shores".

For a moment my mind flickered back to the night i had knocked Raoul out but if he didn't feel the need to share that information with anyone at the time i didn't see why it was necessary to bring it up now.

"Of course you are welcome to stay the planned duration if you so wish..." he trailed but i quickly shook my head.

"I believe it would be best if i returned home as soon as possible, my father needs to know what has happened here so he might revise what it was that was written" i replied, mentally calculating the chances of my people agreeing to what it was Sandidge was demanding, they weren't good.

"of course, of course, ill arrange for a ship to leave tonight if you wish?"

I nodded, "I think that would be for the best".

He nodded and stood, opening the door for me, "Im sorry it didn't work out Alantra, you are an amazing woman, it pains me to consider our two countries fighting again".

I smiled tightly, "Then let's avoid that shall we?"

"Indeed, Indeed"

~

Sandidge's POV

I watched happily a she left my office, shutting teh door carefully behind her and moving to my liquor cabnet, pouring myself a well deserved drink. I pulled out the top draw of my desk and looked at the blade lying there, waiting.

Gritting my teeth i poured myself a shot and threw it back before pulling the knife form the draw, its handle fitting my palm perfectly, becoming an extension of my own arm.

Throwing back a third shot i rolled up my shirt and stared down at the muscles of my stomach and grimaced. I poured myself a fourth drink and waited til my head began to feel slightly heavier, then, gritting my teeth i clenched the knife in my hand and lowered it to my abdomen where it pressed heavy and cold against my bare skin.

Taking a deep breath i plunged the blade deep into my flesh, gasping and letting out a shout as my muscles bunched in protest as the lethal metal cut through tendons and muscle fibres. I bit down on my other arm, my teeth drawing blood as i held back a scream. Finally pulling the blade form my body i let it drop to the ground, my head spinning form the alcohol and blood loss. Stumbling forward i felt myself pitch towards the ground as i reached out blindly and hit the panic button positioned under my desk. Somewhere in the distance I could hear the pounding of feet as the guards rushed towards my office.

Lying on the soft carpet on my floor i let the darkness swamp me, smiling slightly to myself as i felt my body become numb, so far, everything was going just as planned.

~

Present

I hated to say it, but as soon as i got home, the first's words i spoke to my father would be alone the lines of "I freaking told you so".

I can't believe i just wasted three whole weeks of my life on this stupid continent, one of which was spent cooped up in that overbearing office with that, that, that fat egotistical sexists murdering bastard.

Letting out a muffled scream of frustration i finally fell back on my bed, feeling emotionally and physically drained as the past couple of weeks finally caught up with me in one big reunion.

I don't know how long i lay there, staring up at the ceiling unseeingly until loud banging on my door broke me from my daze.

I lay there for a second, hoping that if i ignored them then whoever it was would go away, but instead i was met with the sound of splintering wood as my door was thrown open and men dress in the Blood red uniforms of the Bacchii army stormed my room.

Immediately i threw myself off the bed and backed up against the far wall as five men formed a line, separating me from the only possible escape route.

I glanced out the window at the four story drop onto the frozen lake and cursed Sandidge, surmising that this was probably the very reason for me being put in said room.

"Ok, look. I'm guessing there has been some misunderstanding..." i began but the guard on the far right cut me off and i had to grit my teeth; i hated to be interrupted.

"You, Alantra Sentrane of the Illton government are here-by under arrest for the attempted murder of L.S Sandidge..."

"Wait what?"

"Any attempt to resist arrest will be seen as an attack on the Bacchii government..."

"No seriously, you don't want to do this.." but they all moved forward simultaneously, and even though i knew trying to escape was futile my pride wouldn't let me be caught without fighting back at least a little.

The guys on the right was the first to reach me, and the first to go down, then the guy on the left who looked as though he could take down on a squadron on his own, followed by the two middle men, one of which i used to take down the remaining man. Admittedly i had never actually fought anyone outside of the practice courts, but every step and move felt completely natural, as though my body new where it was going before i did. But then again, i had been taught by the best...

I glanced down at the men at my feet for no longer than a second before vaulting over their stirring bodies and tearing down the hallway, a grim smile on my face. I knew as well as anyone that i wouldn't make it out of this building tonight, if i was really lucky i would die fighting, capture being the least favourable option.

Sliding around the corner i came face to face with three more men, this time armed with long swords. For a moment the stood there, shocked by my sudden appearance, a second that allowed me to pivot on my heel and tear down the opposite hallway, heading for the main lounge room, knowing that at least there i would have more room to move.

Coming to a halt i looked around me at the large fire place and surrounding chairs and rolled my eyes, not the place i would have imagined i would die, but at least i would be warm when it happened. I heard the noise of the approaching soldiers behind me and turned to face them, watching patiently as the filled through the door, falling into rank in front of me.

For a moment all was silent, until the sounds of tramping feet came from behind me and i spun to watch with slight horror as more men filled in from behind me, circling until i was completely surrounded. The room was now so silent that i could hear my heart thundering in my ears, but then it was so loud that i would be surprised if there were anyone who couldn't hear it. My hands began to sweat as the fear began to rise and for the first time i began to fear death, fear the pain.

Jerking my chin up defiantly i looked around the room, meeting their eyes with a steady gaze.

"Well?" i asked.

There was silence for a moment, and then all hell broke loose. I lost myself in the swarm of soldiers that bore down on me, lashing out wherever i could, feeling the distant sting that told me i was taking blows, but my mind had shut off, i felt nothing, no pain and no fear. I didn't hear the yells of the men or the screams that tore from my own throat.

But then suddenly everyone was backing off, making room for one individual. My eyes narrowed in on his own blue ones, his white blonde hair pushed to the side, and more importantly the long sword hanging from his right hand.

He stopped three meters from me and turned slightly to the left, barking orders at soldier closest to him. Immediately the man walked forward and presented him with his sword, bowing his way back to the ranks of men now lining the walls. Facing me again, his face empty of any emotion he threw the sword at me feet and stood there, waiting.

"Pick it up" he said slowly.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, pick it up" he sneered and took a step forward. Hurriedly i bent and lifted the sword, trying to adjust to its weight.

Without warning he lunged forward and i stumbled backwards, only just avoiding the sharp edge that went flying past my chest as a mummer of approval ran through the crowd. Gritting my teeth i tightened my grip on the handle and re-positioned my stance, waiting for his next attack, but it didn't come. I stared at him, narrowing my eyes as i searched his face, waiting...

But still he didn't move. Sighing i shook my head and danced forward, engaging his blade before dancing backwards, attempt to gauge his skill level, to find his weakness, if such a thing existed. He moved with his blade as though he had been born holding it.

Now I understood the stories that circulated him; why our people spoke of him with a fear the boarded on awe. I don't know how long we traded blows, him always humouring me, i was under no illusion of my own skill level, if he wanted to, he could have killed me the moment i picked up my sword.

He moved forward again, pivoting on his heel, his blade coming up and around in a sweeping arc, forcing me to duck and scramble for cover. Jumping back i let my arm fall to my side, my eyes fixed on where he now stood, waiting for me to resume our fight. But i couldn't, it was all i could do not to drop the weapon in my hand. That move, that attack, i had seen it before, so so many times before. Watching him move towards me, his sword whistling through the air in such a swift motion, it was as if i was watching him again.

The blood started to pound in my veins, and anger fuelled energy came speeding through my body. With a roar i launched myself at him, my body hitting his, our swords tangling together and being thrown across the room.

Landing on the floor i rolled until i was above him and struck out, catching him slightly off centre and causing my body to pitch forward. In one quick movement he flipped up so he was atop of me, as he brought his fist down into my ribs and i gasp in pain, tears springing to my eyes. Leaping to his feet he stood back as i slowly clamoured to mine. Every muscles in my body ached and the blood running from my many cuts was beginning to make the polished wooden floor a hazard. He came forward with lightning speed, his blow sending me to me knees. With a groan i pushed myself back up and swung at him, but there was no power in my blow and he blocked me easily, grabbing my arm and spinning me so my back as against his chest, his arm tight around my throat.

"Night, little Illton" his whispered in my ear as his arm tightened around my neck, cutting off my air supply, the sounds of his clam breathing the last thing i heard before everything went black.

If this was death, then at least it had been quick.

~

Ha. how proud are you. two chapters in one night. :)

comment and vote.

pleasse i need to know if people are reading at what they think

xxx summer

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 720 62
~COMPLETE/FINISHED~ Hello! Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening! and welcome to my first ever book! Request are (not) (again) open!! You need to know befor...
28K 887 16
{Completed} Shu Kurenai. Lui Shirosagi. These names...they bring memories of fear. Hurt. Scars. But when the two are forced to become brothers, will...
333 33 17
In the world of Apemantus, the Divine Goddess of humankind Thalia has chosen the amnesiac teenaged swordsman, Shye Beadsley, to be Her Blessed Child...