A Place to Land

By lbt_fan

Karen and Mark have been together for 10 years and married for 5. She thought they were going to grow old tog... More

Karen
Jimi
Karen
Mark
Karen
Kimberly
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Phillip
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Kimberly
Phillip
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Jimi
Karen
Epilogue: Karen
Author's Note

Mark

585 12 1
By lbt_fan

"But I end up getting burned instead"

I was hanging out at home, getting all of my stuff ready for Carrie's tour. I heard my phone go off, but I didn't know where it was. I finally found it in a couch cushion. I saw that it was Karen calling me. I wonder what she wants.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey" she said. Then it was silent for a few moments.

"I have something I need to talk to you about" she said.

"Okay... what is it?" I asked nervously.

"I don't want to do it over the phone. Are you free tomorrow?" she asked.

"Yeah, what time?" I asked.

"Around ten or eleven?" she asked.

"I can meet you at ten. Do you want to meet at the Coffee House?" I asked.

"Yeah. That would be perfect" she said.

"Alright. Tomorrow at ten" I said.

"Okay" she said and hung up the phone.

That was really weird. I wonder what she wants to talk about. She sounded a little nervous on the phone. I hope everything is okay.

I went on with my day, but I couldn't help but think about what Karen needs to talk about. I'm really nervous about seeing her tomorrow. I haven't seen her since the night she found out about Jackie. I really have no idea what she wants to talk about.

The next morning I woke up at 8:30. I took a shower and got dressed. I went downstairs and made myself a bagel. My heart was racing all morning. I'm so nervous about meeting with Karen in an hour. Since I'm meeting her at 10:00, I decided to leave at 9:45.

I pulled into the parking lot a few minutes before 10:00. I saw Karen's car in the parking lot already. I walked in and she was ordering. I hopped in line and ordered a coffee. After I got my drink, I found her at a table.

"How have you been?" I asked.

"Fine" she said and took a sip of her tea. Since when does she like tea?

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked her. She took in a deep breath and dug for something in her purse.

She pulled out, what looks like a picture. She set it on the table and slid it across to me. I set my coffee down and picked up the picture. I had no idea what this was. I looked a little closer at it and I realized it was a sonogram picture from an ultrasound.

I looked up at her. "I'm pregnant" she said quietly. I was silent. I was not expecting this to be the topic of conversation today.

"Um... how far along are you" I asked kind of hoping that she was going to tell me it wasn't mine.

"A little over eight weeks" she said. Well shit. It is mine. I know exactly when this happened too.

"When are you due?" I asked.

"Around January 20th" she said and I nodded.

"What do you want to do?" I asked.

"Well, I'm keeping the baby and I still want to go through with the divorce if that's what you're asking" she said in an irritated tone like I should have know the answer to that question.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes." She said immediately.

"There is no way either of us would be happy if we stayed married. It wouldn't be a good home to raise a baby. It would be better if we went through with the divorce and shared custody" she said.

"That makes sense. I don't want to force you into anything you don't want to" I said.

"How is this going to work with the divorce then? Are we going to have to figure out custody arrangements or something?" I asked.

"The divorce will be finalized before the baby is born and I was thinking that we could be civil adults and figure out the arrangements on our own" she said.

"Okay" I said.

"I got the touring gig with Carrie" I said.

"That's great. How long is the tour?" she asked.

"I have a year contract" I said.

"Are you able to get off when I have the baby?" she asked concerned.

"I don't know. I would have to ask" I said.

"I want you to be there and be in the baby's life Mark" she said.

"I'll do my best" I said.

"The next ultrasound is on the 25th at 10:30 if you want to come" she said.

"I start on the tour on the 15th so I will have to see if we have a day off" I said.

"Okay. Let me know" she said.

"I have to get going" she said and I nodded.

"It was good to see you Karen" I said.

"You too" she said and left.

I cannot believe that Karen is pregnant. I knew she always has wanted kids, but I don't know if I ever really wanted kids. She would make a great mom, but I could never imagine myself being a dad. I told her that I think we should just live our life the way it was and if it were to happen, it would. I kind of just wanted it to be the two of us. Now we're getting a divorce and she is having my baby. This was most certainly not in the plan. I think I just need to take a minute and let it sink in and maybe this baby could be a good thing.

But what is it going to do to my career? She's going to want me to quit the tour to stay back with the baby. I don't know if I want to give up my career just like that. I know she is the type of person that would give up her dream of singing to have a baby, but I don't think I can. I have worked too hard for this job and everything is finally starting to fall into place for me and I'm not going to let a baby step in the way of that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Family By Phanta1

Fanfiction

4K 286 75
!!WARNING!! This story does mention suicide a lot throughout the book so please be aware!! (There's also a bit of smut) You and your cousin, PJ, have...
448 101 53
A decision has to be made by Jimin; he has come to a fork in the road. The story has two alternative ending. I leave it up to readers to decide if...
127K 7.1K 130
After the traumatic break up between JJ and her husband Will, she has been through hard times being a single mother of a 6 year old. One day a man sl...
2K 25 9
A story about a successful guy who denied himself from living a normal life. Behind his career achievement, Dave Gonzales' life revolved around worki...