Forever Ruined

By Ruechari

Benjamin McAllister is the Queen's Man working in secret for King and Crown. It riddled his past with intrigu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter - Twenty four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty- Six
Chapter Twenty- Seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty -Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-three
Chapter 64
Chapter Sixty-five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-eight
Chapter Sixty-nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-one
Epilogue

Chapter Ten

3.4K 247 43
By Ruechari

Benjamin's carriage stopped outside of Bentley Manor and his heart filled with dread. He had other naval connections perhaps he should... No, Richard needed to know. The whole family deserved to know. What if they never saw her again? This was bigger then him, them, their relationship.

He no sooner stepped out of the coach and Albert had come to greet him. "Mr. McAllister a pleasure to see you again. Lord and Lady Bentley have been looking forward to your arrival." Albert paused only slightly before saying, "Do you travel alone? Has Lady McAllister not come with you?"

Guilt filled him. "No, Albert. I am afraid I am alone. It is of the utmost importance that I have a moment to speak with Lord Bentley as soon as it is convenient."

Benjamin took note of the change in Albert's features his smile had disappeared and the guardian of the family nodded his head in his usual no nonsense way. Giving orders for the coach to be stabled and Benjamin's bag to be brought to the guest bedroom.

Benjamin wasn't sure he would be staying that long, but then again...duels usually are scheduled for dawn so...

"Follow me," Albert said interrupting his musings and taking him to the library. Albert was rather quick for a man of his advanced years, but Benjamin kept up with him easily. Albert knocked on the door and was bid to enter.

He opened the door and announced. "Mr. McAllister to see you, sir."

Richard was all smiles when he approached. "Benjamin how goes things? Is Clara with Juliana? She has been so worried about her. The new baby has taken her mind from her distress. However, I must say we were thrilled to have received your letter."

The more Richard spoke, the more in error Benjamin realized he was in coming here. He should have handled this on his own.

"Would you like something to drink or eat after your journey?" Richard asked.

Benjamin looked at Albert and understanding the gravity of the situation Albert nodded and excused himself from the room, which Richard found rather odd, as Albert doesn't normally leave until told to go.

It was then that Richard took in Benjamin's appearance and demeanor. The man looked like he hadn't slept in days. "Benjamin? What is it? What has happened?"

Benjamin went over to Richard's liqueur table. "May I?" Richard nodded.

Benjamin knew he shouldn't make a habit of this, but he felt he needed the drink to strengthen his nerve. Having swallowed a swig he, looked at Richard and it struck him, he knew not where to begin. Thankfully, Richard was a perceptive fellow.

"Is it Clara? What has become of her?"

Benjamin nodded and Richard waved for him to be seated but Benjamin declined he was too rambunctious to be settled.

"Since the incident here she has not been herself. She had taken to her room, secluding herself away from everyone. She would have terrible dreams where she would talk and scream in her sleep."

Suddenly exhausted Benjamin fell into the chair. "I should have never left, Richard. The "would be king" be damned! I should let him fall. He deserves no less. Had I thought she would ..."

"Where is she?"

Benjamin sloshed back the rest of the liquid. "Gone...to India."

"India! Who is with her? How did she pay for her passage? Surely she would not be allowed to board without escort." Richard thought the last time she ran away from home she had come home to them. How terrible things must be that she thought her only escape was to travel nearly to the farthest reaches of the globe.

"She did not go aboard as a passenger. She found her self employ as Lord Fitton's valet."

Richard who was pacing the room stopped dead in his track. "Lord Fitton? Valet? But she... How could she?"

"She went disguised as a boy. Was hired by Commander Redgrave. I know not which ship she has boarded, as there are three under his command, the Tempest, the Falcon and the Whispering Wind. Richard, I have to get to her. I have to put out word that should she be discovered and arrested I am to be contacted immediately, or Lord knows it could mean her death."

"How long ago?" Richard asked circling around to his desk.

"A week," Benjamin said, and waited for the backlash.

Richard's movements stilled. He took a few deep breaths and then pulled out some parchment and his pens. "Why come to me now?" he asked with an eerie sort of calm.

"When I got the news I had to be certain. She was not at home, nor still in London which was my hope but all hope was lost when I discovered that only my belongings were missing. She had not taken one gown or undergarment. She did take some jewelry but only pieces she thought to sell, any which held a sentimental regard were left with me. She took my pocket watch and knives and I know she still carries her pistol."

"I got to London and combed the shops where she may have cashed the jewels but no one had seen her or well... at least anyone fitting the description I gave of her or the jewels. I went to the docks. That's when I discovered someone matching what she would have looked like had gained passage aboard Redgrave's EIC and that's when I knew I had to see you. "

Richard was writing the entire time that he spoke. Benjamin wondered what he was writing so furiously. "I have written a letter. I will have copies made and have them dispatched to the most popular ports among the East India Company route. I will also try to reach the warships still engaging France. This will be no easy task but I know of Redgrave and I know he will not hesitate to engage should there be a need in battle."

Richard saw how Benjamin paled at this. "The Company ships are fully armed with their own army. The EIC have turned the tides of battle for the Royal Navy many a time. You can be certain if things do turn to battle she is in capable hands. Not that that offers much comfort."

Richard rang for Albert. He gave him the letters, addresses and instruction that they be copied and he will place upon it his seal once they are complete. He will have a second letter readied when he returns. Again, Albert said nothing just set quickly to the task.

Once Albert closed the door. Richard looked at Benjamin. "You do understand our chances of getting her back are very slim."

Benjamin looked lost and broken. Richard knew that look, knowing he felt similar when he thought he lost Juliana forever. Then Benjamin's eyes met his and seen him harden his resolve. "I will take that chance."

"There is one thing I do not understand," Richard said, "if you could not be with her, why ever did you marry her?"

Benjamin did not get the chance to answer as there was a knock on the door and Richard bid them enter. Juliana came in glowing. "Benjamin!"

He rose to greet her and she hugged him. When she pulled away she seen the look on his face and hers turned to concern. "What is it?"

Benjamin did not have the heart nor the strength to go through the story again. Richard interceded on his behalf. "Darling, I do believe Benjamin is tired from his journey perhaps we can let him rest before he joins us for dinner?"

Juliana's brows furrowed but she would not question. She trusted Richard. Knowing he would inform her of everything once they were alone. "Of course," she linked arms with Benjamin. "Let me show you to your room."

Ever the gracious hostess, Juliana chatted away amicably speaking mostly of the new love of her life, her son, Charles.

"So you chose to name him after Richard's father?"

"It seemed fitting," Juliana told him, "as he meant so much to us both."

"Excuse me, Lady Bentley," Lily the housemaid had come to up to her. "The Nanny has been having a dreadful time getting the baby to sleep. She asked that I find you."

Juliana laughed. "You will have to excuse me Benjamin. Lily will see you to your room. I am afraid I have spoiled that boy so that he will take no substitute when it comes to his lullabies." Juliana had given him a kiss on the cheek and took her leave of him.

He followed Lily to the guest room. He declined her offer of tea and cakes and asked not be disturbed until dinner. He laid across the bed, loosened his cravat and stared at the ceiling. Of all the questions Richard asked the one that stuck in his mind most was... "If you could not be with her, why ever did you marry her?"

It was with this question that he drifted off to a restless sleep. It was this question that would be answered in his dreams.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"You have not heard a word I have spoken," Beau complained wondering what was preoccupying his best friend of late as he was often distracted.

"Sorry, did you say something?" Benjamin knew he had to get a grip and out of his head, he found himself thinking of her often and he should not be thinking of her at all. Clara it seemed had bewitched him body and soul."

Although, he knew he made her promise not to sneak into the clubs anymore, he found himself searching every young face to see if it were she. It would seem she was a woman of her word. He continually found disappointment, as it was never her.

It had been a month since their last encounter. He had the perfect excuse to see her again as he still held in his possession her notebook but still refused on morale ground. It would lead them both into ruin if he pursued her but when he thought of that kiss.

"Benjamin, you have done it again. Keep this up and I shall find myself a new companion."

Benjamin laughed. "You would never and you know it, Beau. I know too much. I am sorry, though. I just can not get Lady Bentley out of my mind."

"Well try harder Benjamin, as I must say you know you are not the settling type and she hardly seems the fooling around sort. In fact, Banks has been complaining as he now has invested a lot of time and money in that young miss and she has not given him an inch."

Benjamin could not help but smile at this, for some reason this news pleased him immensely, but he refused to reflect on the matter further. Banks has been after her virginity since the moment he had seen her at the dinner party. His frustration brought Benjamin much joy.

As if on cue Banks came up to them and took up a chair without waiting to be asked to join them, "Gentlemen, I have made up my mind." Benjamin frowned he did not like this man or the shameless ways he uses women.

"And what pray tell have you made your mind set upon?" Beau asked, also looking annoyed at this interruption.

"I am going to ask for Lady Bentley's hand in marriage."

Benjamin spit out the sip of his drink and Beau became even more enraged as he was in direct line of fire. He swiped furiously at his shirt complaining about the soon to be stain to his cuff.

"You? Marry, Lady Bentley?" Benjamin asked, in disbelief.

"I believe I will get nowhere with her any other way and after spending this month in her presence I must say, I have to have her."

"She is a woman not a horse, Banks," Benjamin said moodily at the way Banks referred to her as a possession instead of a person.

Banks ignored him. "There is a ball tonight." Banks pulled out of his pocket a ring box and inside was a simple gold band with a diamond inset flanked by rubies. "This is just a promise of course. Once I have her Aunt's approval, she is as good a mine. I dream of bedding her."

Beau kicked Benjamin hard under the table and it was not until that moment that Benjamin realized he was starting to take up a threatening stance. He released his fists and tried to calm his temper but right at this moment he felt he could murder the man and not think twice on it.

"Well best of luck, Old Man. You will soon be ranked among the taken."

"I'm not so sure about that," Banks said with a grin, "I intend to sample the wares before going all in. We will see if she is worth the effort."

"Where did you say this ball was," Beau asked, giving Benjamin a hard glare. His obvious distain for this conversation must be plainly written across his face. He had best get a grip but frankly he just wanted to hurt this man.

"Lord and Lady Devonshire are hosting tonight," Banks said putting the box back in his pocket.

"Wonderful! We would not wish to miss this momentous occasion!" Beau said.

"We?" Banks said, his mood suddenly souring.

"Why the Lord and Lady Devonshire are good friends of mine. I had accepted their invite a week ago. As my partner for the evening had to suddenly declined Benjamin here said he would accompany me."

Banks quickly recovered. "That is great news. Well Gentlemen, see you this evening." He rose and bowed deeply before leaving.

"Can you believe ... he plans on just..." Benjamin could not finish his sentence, his blood was boiling.

"Stop your whining. We need to find you something suitable to wear. I will not be seen in public with you otherwise."

"What do you mean? We are in public right now."

Beau smirked at him. "A gentleman's club is hardly the setting I would expect you to be dressed in your finest. Come with me, Benjamin. If you are going to win this woman of yours your time is running out."

"You know I of all people can not afford the luxury of such entanglements. I have no right to want for a wife, Lady Bentley or otherwise. My life, my work, just does not allow for it."

Beau patiently waited for him to be finished. "Then I leave you with this thought... Lady Bentley in Bank's bed." And with that Beau got up and walked towards the door to the club smiling, as he knew Benjamin McAllister was not far behind him. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.3K 2K 55
𝑨𝒏 𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓 π’˜π’‰π’ π’‡π’Šπ’π’…π’” 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 π’Šπ’ 𝒉𝒆𝒓 π’π’˜π’ π’„π’“π’†π’‚π’•π’Šπ’π’. π˜™π˜¦π˜―π˜¦π˜¦, 𝘒 𝘡𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘡𝘺-𝘧π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘒𝘳 𝘰𝘭π˜₯ 𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧...
180K 15.7K 34
Can the scent of water be enough? After years of roaming alone, with little purpose to his life, Sam Carthwrite is finally returning to the home an...
156K 9.7K 23
If every young lady likes to be crossed in love now and then, the Vicar Pearce's daughters are three times blessed. Willful and spirited, Rachel refu...
13.8K 219 7
I'm not good with descriptions so just read the story. Thank you.