✓ | MISCHIEF MANAGED | James...

By fhreyachaes

[BOOK ONE OF MISCHIEF MANAGED SERIES] "Just look at her, James!" Sirius cried out exasperatedly. "Can't you s... More

DISCLAIMER + REVIEWS
1 : Ain't It Fun
2 : Battle Scars
3 : Clarity
4 : Dark Side
5 : Earned It
6 : Feel This Moment
7 : Gold Forever
8 : Here's to Never Growing Up
9 : I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
10 : Just a Little Bit of Your Heart
11 : Kings and Queens
12 : Little Things
13 : More Than a Feeling
14 : New Romantics
15 : Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
16 : Permanent Vacation
17 : Queen of Hearts
18 : Real World
19 : Strings
20 : The Scientist
21 : Unconditionally
22 : Vanilla Twilight
23 : Wait For It
25 : You and Me
26 : Zero to Hero
00 || RECKLESS AND BRAVE
s p e c i a l • c h a p t e r
SEQUEL RELEASED

24 : XO

59.7K 2.2K 4.5K
By fhreyachaes

Before they turn the lights out
Before our time has run out
Baby, love me lights out

24 : XO (edited)

Catherine was exhausted. Physically and mentally. She's been through pain beyond compare, the kind of pain she didn't even deserve. Catherine was a good person — just don't be a bitch to her and she won't be one to you as well.

Catherine had woken up from her very long sleep. Her body was sore, her back was completely numb, but the memory of the pain was forever etched in her mind. Her voice was raspy and hoarse from all the screaming in the Black Manor.

It just so happened that she woke up at the exact time James decided to go to the loo. With great difficulty, she used her instinctive magic to shut the door lock, making the alohomora charm unable to be used. For a while — she just wanted to be alone for a small moment before opening to them later.

Her friends have been taking turns knocking against her door and begging her to open it, but she refused — not wanting to speak to anyone. She could hear Peter apologizing outside, saying he didn't know there would be Death Eaters lurking around Hog's Head. Catherine didn't believe him — but she also didn't have solid proof he was lying.

Catherine had to stay strong. She wasn't going to cry and she wasn't going to give in to them telling her that everything's alright. She felt disgusted with herself. She knew she wouldn't be able to stand the sight of the horrible words permanently scarred into her back.

Never in Catherine's life had she felt so weak. So useless. So utterly powerless. She knew she was being rude and such a brat for locking her friends out, but if she couldn't stand to see herself right now, then her friends would most likely be disgusted by her as well.

It was the sort of pain that kept her numb of emotions, but mentally unstable.

"Cathy, please," Lily spoke to her. "I'm here for you. We're all here for you, Cathy. Please open the door."

Catherine was sitting up on her bed, her back not propped against the pillows even if it no longer hurts.

"I love you, Cathy," Lily let out a sob, "you're my sister and I love you. Please open the door."

Catherine shut her eyes tight to avoid crying. Her heart was aching and she was so close to feeling that immeasurable pain she's trying to avoid.

It was quiet on the other side for a short moment until she heard him.

"Valentine, I know what you're doing right now and I know what you're thinking," his voice was soft and gentle. It cracked a little, as though he was crying. "I know you're hurting right now, but you don't want to feel that pain and you're trying to shut out all your emotions. You don't have to do that, love, it's alright. I'm here, we're all here for you. It's okay to allow us to be the stronger one sometimes. Those people that hurt you, think of them as sandpaper. They scratch and hurt you, but in the end, you're polished. They're the useless ones."

Catherine hiccuped as a sob escaped her lips. She pressed her lips together as she tried to suppress her feelings. Her eyes and heart, however, betrayed her as tears began to pool at the corner of her green eyes.

"It's okay to cry, Valentine. It's okay to feel, too. You know why? Because crying doesn't mean you're weak, it shows how you've been strong for so long. And you know what, Valentine? The fact that you're here right now because you held on when Padfoot brought you out of there shows how strong you are. And you have no idea how much I am so fucking proud of you, Valentine."

Gold flashed before her eyes as she heard the click of the door unlocking. The door was hesitantly pushed open as James popped his head in slowly. As soon as James's eyes landed on Catherine, he immediately strode over and engulf her in an embrace.

All the bottled emotions she's been trying to suppress just spilled as she cried hard into James's shirt, clutching him desperately as though she was afraid he would suddenly disappear.

"There, there," James cooed soothing words while carefully rubbing her back to show her that he's not disgusted with her and what's become of her. "You're safe now. I'm here — I'm right here with you." He placed his lips against her forehead, lingering for a long time.

"I was so scared, James," she choked out, melting into his secure arms.

"I know," he whispered back to her, gently rocking her back and forth to comfort her broken cries. "And I'm sorry for not being there to stop it." James pressed another kiss on the top of her head, and another one on her forehead. With their noses touching and foreheads pressed, James looked deep into her jade green eyes. "I love you, Catherine Valentine. And there's absolutely nothing you can or will do that would make me fall out of love with you. Do you understand?"

Catherine nodded, offering him a weak smile to show him that she was feeling better slowly by slowly.

"That's my girl." He kissed the tip of her nose before pulling her at arm's length so that she could see their best friends who were standing a few feet away from them. "We're all here for you, Valentine."

Catherine's heart swelled at what he said before slowly getting up to stretch her legs. One by one, she wrapped them in an embrace and shared her tears with them as their bond of friendship grew stronger. By the time it was Sirius she hugged, she tightened her embrace a little. "Thank you, Paddy," she said and pecked his cheek affectionately.

Sirius smiled back at her, reaching up to cup her cheek as she leaned into his hand. They shared a smile before Catherine took a step backwards and into James's awaiting arms.

Days flew by and everyone could see that Catherine was getting better. She was eating properly again and joining them in classes. She started little pranks with Fabian and Gideon, the two losing their recipe on how to make your tongue weigh a ton in their sister Molly's house. Catherine had joked that maybe Molly would have future twins who would be future pranksters and find that recipe lying around in the house. She spoke with Dumbledore as well, refusing to tell him the perpetrator because she was afraid of what would happen. Would they go after her again? Or maybe even Dumbledore?

She refused to make eye contact with Lucius, not attending any of the classes she had where he was in as well. She wouldn't tell her friends who had tortured her, in fear of what could happen. Catherine just wanted no more of this.

But one thing was certain, she knew that Voldemort was involved in this. Bellatrix had mentioned the Dark Lord.

James and Catherine were in the Astronomy Tower at the moment. It was late at night and both were lying on a blanket and staring at the stars above them as they spoke of little nothings. Moments like this were what made Catherine love James more and more.

"Your birthday's coming up," James piped up, his arm used as a pillow for Catherine's head with their fingers intertwined.

Catherine hummed back in reply.

"Any plans?" He played with the ends of her hair with his other hand.

"No, I just want to spend it with you."

James let out a chuckle, reaching over to hug her with her back against his chest. He buried his nose in her hair, breathing in her strawberry shampoo as he spoke, "You're so cheesy."

"Shut up, you love me."

"Dammit, you're right."

Catherine couldn't stop the grin from spreading on her face. She relished in their comfortable silence as she asked, "How does dinner sound?"

"In Hogsmeade?" James's voice was getting deeper and huskier, which usually meant he was slowly drifting off to sleep.

Catherine hummed in response.

"Sure. But we should pick a good restaurant, because your birthday's on April Fool's."

She chuckled. "Yeah, I could go down there this weekend."

"I'll come with you," James murmured and pulled her closer to his chest as he closed his eyes. "Valentine?"

"Mhmm?" She shifted in his arms so that they were face to face, their noses brushing against each other. He was so close that she absorbed every single detail of his face.

James opened his eyes, his hazel ones meeting her dazzling green orbs. His lips tugged up into a slight smirk as he gazed at her with fondness and a kind of love only they shared. "I love you," he whispered.

Catherine smiled without showing her teeth, bringing her lips up to meet his. "And I love you," she said, their lips brushing with every word.

««•»»

Catherine was all dolled up along with her three best friends for her birthday. Marlene looked amazing in a little black dress, and Alice was really beautiful in an off-shoulder champagne coloured dress. Lily zipped up her dress which was teal coloured and contrasted beautifully with her red hair.

     The restaurant Catherine chose wasn't a fancy place, so she settled for a semi-formal dress code. Lily's eyes glimpsed at Catherine and she smiled. "You look gorgeous. If James doesn't at least do some pretty damn awesome thing today, then the best friend won't approve of him as boyfriend material."

Catherine chuckled and gently shook her head to herself before taking a glance of herself in the mirror. She was wearing a maroon halter dress that stopped a few inches above her knees and hugged her waist. She decided to let her hair down naturally with her only jewellery being a bracelet and James's ring on her right hand. She ran her fingers delicately across her wrist that was crushed by Bellatrix and she flinched. She was still so self-conscious about the scars on her back, which was why she chose this dress that completely covered it.

Honestly, Catherine could care less of what the word was. She didn't care that she was called a blood traitor. She'd rather be one than end up twisted in the head like Bellatrix and Lucius.

Catherine held her chin high and smiled at the girls. "Are we ready to go?"

The three nodded before they all headed out of the castle. The girls entered the restaurant, looking around for the guys when Catherine heard someone call out, "Cat, we're here!" Catherine turned to see a table reserved for them, close to the center of the restaurant. She approached them to see Remus and Sirius, but no James and Peter.

"Happy Birthday, Cat." Sirius swooped her into a hug, spinning her around once as she let out a laugh. Sirius put her back on her feet, chuckling at her reaction before Remus stood to greet her.

"Happy Birthday, Cathy." He leaned in to press a kiss on her cheek, offering her a grin afterwards. Remus turned to the other girls who were already in their seats before taking his own seat. "The lot of you ready to order?"

The girls called a server over and told him their orders, Lily telling him Catherine's as well since she knew by heart what she liked, as Catherine remained standing next to Sirius. "Where's Prongs?" she asked.

Sirius chuckled, ducking his head a bit as he scratched the back of his neck. "He's — um — there's this — well...," he trailed off, unsure of what to say as Catherine fought off a smile and raised an eyebrow at him. Sirius coughed awkwardly before attempting to discreetly kick Remus's leg. "What was I supposed to say again if she asks about Prongs?"

Remus groaned and rolled his eyes, grabbing Sirius's shirt and yanking him back to his seat. "Just shut up."

Precisely then, the restaurant's door swung open and in came a flustered looking James. Catherine couldn't help but to laugh softly at the sight of him. He was breathing rather quickly, the collar of his white button down undone, his glasses askew, and his eyes wildly looking around. She knew by then that he was running to not be late.

"Potter," she called out for him as he snapped his eyes over to her.

As soon as James's hazel eyes landed on her, he stumbled a bit on his footing and nearly knocked over a coat rack. "Sorry," he muttered to it without looking, probably thinking he bumped into a person. James strode over to Catherine with a smile of adoration directed to her. "Hi," he said breathlessly once he was in front of her.

Catherine's heart picked up pace as she replied back in the same manner. "Hi." She reached up to fix his collar, his glasses and attempted to tame his messy black hair. She could feel James's gaze as she playfully hit his chest and whispered for only him to hear. "Stop," she chided with a short laugh, "you're doing things to my heart and I need to act cool in front of all these people."

James let out a snort, shaking his head at his girlfriend while smiling. "Alright, if you say so," he reached down to intertwine their fingers as he pulled them to their seats. He grabbed the chair for her before plopping down next to her. James swiftly captured her lips with his. "Happy Birthday." He winked at her startled and flustered state before placing his order to the server.

Catherine took a gulp of cold water, attempting to fan her hot face as she stared at the tablecloth to avoid her friends' teasing looks directed at her.

The food arrived shortly after. The rest of evening was spent with laughter and hilarious conversations. The server had brought out a cake with candles floating above it as the group sang for Catherine.

Catherine thought the night couldn't have gotten better than that, but obviously she was wrong. Apparently, James was full of surprises.

It was near midnight, and Remus and Sirius had to bring the girls back to Hogwarts before they get drunk from the drinks they've had. Catherine and James didn't have anything to drink, and she didn't want to remember spending the last hour of her birthday spewing out nonsense about grass. James was about to make a comment about chlorophyll just to tease her, but Catherine quickly kissed him to shut him up.

The couple left the restaurant hand in hand, James draping his jacket over her shoulders without even having to wait for her to get cold. He knew she'd end up shivering anyways. They strolled around Hogsmeade for a bit, talking about visiting James's house in the summer. James opted on wrapping an arm around her shoulders and keeping her close to him as they walked up to a park. It was empty, considering the fact that it was pretty late at night, but Catherine gasped in awe upon seeing fairy lights strung up with the use of magic.

James smiled down at her, removing his arm as he led them to the swings. "Do you like it?"

Catherine nodded, it reminded her of James's Christmas present for her in the Astronomy Tower. "Is this why you were a tad late for dinner?"

He simply nodded as the two began to swing to and fro. Catherine had a contented smile on her face as she reveled in the last few minutes of April Fool's and her birthday. She glanced at James to see that he had gotten up to stand in front of her. A look of nervousness flashed across his face as he bit his lip in that cute little way of his.

Catherine blinked curiously. "Alright, Potter?"

He cleared his throat, ignoring her question as he suddenly got down on one knee. Catherine's heart stopped as she gripped the swing's chains to stop moving. James's eyes locked with hers, reaching over to grasp both of her hands in his, the warmth of his skin seeping into hers. "Valentine, you already know that Lily was the first girl I ever had a crush on." He let out a chuckle upon seeing Catherine make a funny face. "But you are the first girl I ever fell in love with." Catherine's funny face slipped off as her heart literally skipped a beat. "You were the first girl I kissed. The first girl I said I love you to. The first girl who broke my heart. And the very same girl who picked up all those pieces and stitched them back together with love."

Catherine leaned a bit forward to check her watch — her hands still in James's warm clasp — and saw it was a little past midnight. It was no longer April Fools'.

James paused to reach one hand up to cup her cheek. "I don't know what I did to deserve you, Valentine. You're too good for me. But I wouldn't have it either way because I'm glad. I'm glad that things turned out this way and I get to have my happy ending with you. That's why — " he fished for something in the pocket of his trousers and pulled out a small box.

Catherine let out a choked gasp. Her hands flew up to cover her mouth as she stared at the box in James's hand with wide eyes.

"I want to make a promise to you," James continued. "A promise that as soon as we graduate from Hogwarts, I'll still have the same bursting love I have right now for you. I promise I'll never let go of you. And I promise a future for us both. I know that we're still too young, but with the war there is to come . . . " He proceeded to open the box. But James was James. He fumbled with it slightly, nearly dropping it before he finally opened it properly.

The ring inside was breathtaking. It was a thin silver band with the letters C.I.P. Catherine Isolda Potter.

"Valentine," his voice was barely a whisper, "will you marry me?"

Catherine was so still for a couple of seconds, her eyes searching James's before wordlessly taking the ring from the box and slipping her finger in it. She then brought her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his. "Yes," she breathed out with a smile as James brought her in an embrace. The kind where you never want to get out of.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 4.1K 21
"Bloody hell," whispers James. "I don't think I've ever seen that before." All I can do is stare blankly at him. "she was just so nice about it..." ...
1.9M 73.2K 54
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧. Valentine Lotus was a rare girl; wickedly smart and constantly sweet. That is, unless, you get on her bad side, which James Potter jus...
79.8K 3K 30
When Sirius Black, who changes girls like underwear (so shockingly, quite often), finally finds himself a long-term girlfriend, everyone in Hogwarts...