Off Campus | βœ“

By sagedidthis

[Featured on Wattpad Official Romance reading list] Mila Finley is at her breaking point. Ever since a terrib... More

Foreword
Preliminaries
0: Mila- Dazed
1: Renzo- The Bet
2: Mila- Lunch Date
3: Renzo- An Inspiration
4: Mila- Hercules
5: Renzo- Neutral Territory
6: Mila- Wooed By His Smile
7: Renzo- To Be Clear
7.5: Fletcher- Sidekicks
8: Mila- Misinterpreted
9: Renzo- Second Chances
10: Mila- Art Galleries
11: Renzo- First Kisses
12: Mila- Gazes and Glares
13: Renzo- Here
13.5: Ellie- Him
14: Mila- Moments
15: Renzo- Deserving Her
16: Mila- Limited
17: Renzo- Clumsiness
18: Mila- Beside You
19: Renzo- La Festa
20: Mila- Exposing Dualities
21: Renzo- All Fall Down
22: Mila- Contemplation
23: Renzo- Purple Hyacinth
24: Mila- Duly Noted
25: Renzo- Broken Pieces
26: Mila- Early Surprises
27: Renzo- Protection
28: Mila- Different Worlds
28.5: Ellie- Real Friends
29: Renzo- Exculpate
30: Mila- Hopefully
31: Renzo- Talk to Me
32: Mila- To Each Other
33: Renzo- Clues
34: Mila- Confrontation
35: Renzo- Asking for Help
36: Mila- Tipping Point
36.5: Fletcher- Unspoken Debts
37: Renzo- Facing the Past
37.5: Seth- Whiplash
38: Mila- Tidal Wave
39: Renzo- Closure
40: Mila- New Beginnings
Afterword

38.5: Mike- Loose Canon

2.4K 61 2
By sagedidthis

keep your friends close

****

IT WASN'T LIKE I hated that I was with my brother right now. However, if it weren't for the phone call I got earlier, I would've stayed with Fletcher longer. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he was my boyfriend. Is this what it feels like when you're overjoyed?

"That was unnecessary, Kennedy." I seethed at my older brother. He always had a tendency to go overboard, and I was always the one cleaning up after him. I didn't have a clue as to why Kennedy was doing this, neither could I ask. I was simply asked to bring my car. "Enzo's my friend."

"Would you really say that's the right word?" Kennedy raised his eyebrow as he took a right turn and sped down the street. "Dalton was responsible for our dad's death. Have some loyalty."

"We can't hold parents' mistakes over their kids," I turned in my seat to check on Enzo. Kennedy was smug when he came out with an unconscious Enzo and dumped him into the backseat. I looked daggers at Kennedy and made it obvious that I was going to punch the shit out of him when we reached his hideout. "Dad didn't show any loyalty to his own sons, what makes you think I'll do the same for him?"

"Enough about that," Kennedy glanced at his side mirror. "I think we're being followed."

"What?" I look to my right and sure enough, there was a black sedan tailing us. "Are these people stupid? They're making it so obvious."

"Someone might stop us from the front," Kennedy stepped on the gas pedal with more pressure. "Call Zeke and tell him we need new directions."

I dialed Zeke right away and briefed him about our situation. In a few minutes, Zeke sent an updated route.

"Watch out for the second car," he told us when I put him on speaker. "I can't hack into their system. Just follow the map no matter what, Kennedy."

"That sounds ominous," Kennedy mused before the surrounding air around him stilled. I glared at him but said nothing. When Kennedy needed to be serious, his entire demeanor changed. I just wasn't sure if it was for the better. "Mike, check the back and see if we have any ammo."

"Ammo?" A voice from the back spoke up. Their tone was incredulous. "Are you guys going to kill someone?"

"Ah, the princess woke up. Did you have a nice nap?" Kennedy joked again before taking a sharp left turn. "And no, we have bigger problems than you. Mike for fuck's sake, check."

My eyes refused to meet with Enzo's. I could feel him staring as I looked through the glove compartment after pulling out a small, flat case underneath the floor liner.

"Mike, what's the status?" Kennedy checked in his rearview mirror.

"You need to go straight for one mile and take a right." I looked at the map Zeke shared with me. The second car wasn't showing up on the map, but the black sedan was still behind us. "You don't have to worry about another car stopping us from the front anymore."

"Good," Kennedy smirked. "Let's lose this fucker."

My brother, when provoked, was unpredictable. Though he may seem calm, Kennedy was brimming with unbridled rage. I never asked him what led to his fake death, but I knew Kennedy has been waiting for the day he could get retribution.

When the light turned yellow, Kennedy sped up twenty miles over the speed limit. I turned around again and saw the first car had come to a stop at the traffic light.

Kennedy's laugh was hysterical. I stared ahead at the road and quietly read out the navigation until we reached an abandoned building.

Once I stepped out of the car, Kennedy shoved Enzo towards me and tucked the case under his arm. Enzo still had his hands tied and was looking frantically at his surroundings.

"Deal with Renzo," he didn't say anything more and went ahead. I followed closely behind him and walked into a room that looked like a control center. There were multiple computer screens along with a board that read multiple names. There were thumbtacks on the pictures and string wrapped around them. Other than that, it looked like a normal condo two guys shared packed with the basic necessities.

"Mike, it's been a while." Zeke came up to me and patted my back.

"Yeah, Zeke." I tried to give him a friendly smile.

What the fuck was my brother doing?

"Mike, take Renzo to the first room on the left. I'm coming after I talk to Zeke." My older brother was determined to see through his plan, but why was Enzo involved in it? We were never close with our father, and we weren't necessarily sad when he passed away. Kennedy was appointed head of the organization, but he made it clear from day one that none of us should go after Dalton anymore. Yet it wasn't long after that we found out someone disobeyed his direct orders and killed Enzo's mom. Kennedy always carried that guilt with him, but what changed?

I nodded and tugged Enzo's arm to the room. His body was burning up.

"Shit," I placed my hand on his forehead, untying his hands next. "We need to get you some medication."

"Don't fucking touch me," Enzo seethed, taking a step back. "You're no longer someone I trust. 

You lied to me."

"No, wait." I shook my head. "Let me explain, it's not what you think."

"So your brother isn't out to get me for your dad's murder?"

"I don't know, to be honest." I closed my eyes and groaned. "He said he wouldn't back then. I'm just as confused as you are."

"Wow," Enzo scowled. "I can't believe it took me this long. Mila's mom hired him! Your brother has been the one threatening Mila this entire time. Don't act like you didn't get close to me to help your brother."

"What?" I felt doubt settle in. Kennedy was a lot of things, but he wasn't the type to hurt innocent people. "Enzo, you're my friend. I seriously have no idea what's going on!"

"That's unlikely," Kennedy entered. I whirled around and my gaze clashed with his. "Mike would never help me with this."

"Tell me that's not true," I mumbled to him. "Kennedy, what the fuck? You're blackmailing people now?"

"You're right, it's not." He agreed nonchalantly. "The story is more complicated than that."

"Then can you please tell us what the hell is going on?" Enzo yelled.

"All in due time," Kennedy smiled.

"Stop," I told him. "Enough is enough, Kennedy. I deserve to know too. You were the one who called me when I was with my boyfriend. If something happens to him because of you, I swear to God I will kill you."

"You don't deserve Fletcher," Enzo muttered under his breath.

A pang of remorse filled my body, Enzo was right. I didn't. Not after I hid such a huge secret from him.

"You don't deserve Mila either," Kennedy gave Enzo a pointed look. "You didn't tell her about your family. Who are you to come after my brother when it's related to honesty?"

"No," I told Kennedy, fed up with all the secrets. "Enzo's right, but you seriously need to tell us what's going on."

"Fine," he let out an exasperated sigh. "However, I'd like to clear my name first. As I said earlier, I'm not the person who's threatening Mila. I admit I don't like her mom, but that doesn't mean I'll ever hurt Mila."

"Then who the fuck is it?" Enzo rubbed his wrists and rotated his thumb joint. They were an angry red color as it appeared the blood rushed back to his numb arms.

"Julian Sullivan," Kennedy replied. I saw his body visibly shudder in disgust.

"You mean..." Enzo trailed off.

"Mila's ex-boyfriend?" My brother leaned against the door. "Yes."

"You're the guy she was talking about," Enzo was shocked. "Mila said you died!"

"Only on paper," I answered. Finally, everything was coming together.

"Why does everyone think you killed yourself?" Enzo started pacing. "Don't tell me Julian was the reason?"

"People didn't know about our father," Kennedy explained. "I was considered a scholarship student because once other groups found out I was alive, they would come to kill me too. During the transition stage, there's always a power imbalance. All of us were susceptible since many members didn't want our uncle to lead. Julian found out our dad was the leader but held it over my head to control me. I didn't really resist it because it wasn't worth fighting over. Dad was dead anyway. It wasn't until Julian dragged Mila into the back of her friend's house and started hitting her that everything went to shit. I ran into the room and helped Mila escape. That was the last time I ever saw her face to face. My 'death' was declared as a suicide, but in reality, Julian said he would expose not only me but Mike too."

"I'm Kennedy's half-brother. We're the same age," I told Enzo, who was still processing everything. "He and I lived together until dad suddenly died. I was sent to live with our grandparents and Kennedy lived with our uncle, who's the current head of the organization."

"Then Mila's mom hired Julian?" Enzo paused.

"No," Kennedy frowned. "She may have sabotaged Raina and I's plan to prove Julian is guilty, but she would never harm Mila like that. Raina's death was an accident."

"I don't think so," I tried to take into account of every word that has been said. "It's just an inference, but I think Julian may have been the cause for her accident as well."

"So Julian was the one she met at the diner," Enzo clenched his jaw. "And the person who assaulted her at the club."

I crossed my arms, noticing my brother's lethal expression from the corner of my vision.

"Zeke and I have been gathering intel for the past three years," Kennedy informed us. "We just need to catch him in the act. That piece of shit will regret his actions, I'll make sure of it."

"So why did you take Enzo?" I glowered. If this was the truth, how did the final piece fit into this puzzle of confusion? "I know you're acting like you don't care. You told me to have some loyalty, I'm telling you to have some faith, Kennedy. This was never about dad."

"Julian was going to pay the people who went against my orders to kill Enzo." Kennedy pinched his nose bridge. "They're not under my leadership, so there wasn't anything I could do about them, but I ordered the fake hit to make Julian think I wanted revenge for our father's murder. The people you saw at your house were my people. It's not about dad, it's about Mila."

"Thank you for saving me and protecting Mila this entire time," Enzo whispered. "I'm sorry too. My dad screwed up all of our lives and I understand if you guys harbor any hostility against my family and me."

"We don't," I smile at my longtime friend. "I just want Kennedy to be alive again."

"Stop," Kennedy punched my shoulder. "You're gonna make me cry."

"What's our next step?" Enzo looked nervous, but at the same time, enthusiastic. "I really want to see the fucker behind bars."

Someone burst through the door.

"Fletcher is injured," Zeke panted. "Fuck, it hasn't even been an entire day. Your friends found him passed out beside the door."

"What?" My heart thudded.

"Sebastian said Fletcher wasn't home when I came back," Enzo bit his fingernail.

"I dropped him off after I got Kennedy's call. What time did Sebastian call him?" My mind was racing.

"I don't know." Is all I heard before my ears rang in my head.

In the meantime, Zeke led us all back to the control room and pulled up a screen. The monitor was synced with a nearby surveillance camera. Zeke pressed a button, and the footage rolled back to display someone hauling Fletcher across the hallway and hurling his body at the wall.

I flinched and felt my blood boil. Who do these fuckers think they are?

"It's not safe for them to stay there." Kennedy bristled at the sight, now showing Seth and Sebastian carry Fletcher inside. "I think they should leave town."

"Mila said she was going to confront her mom about the stalker. Also, Ellie was going to contact a private investigator." Enzo's eyes didn't waver from the computer. "They're going back to the Hamptons, it's where everything started."

"You're right," Kennedy concurred. "Julian is definitely spying on them so we should go before it's too late."

----

It was now two days later. All of us were staying at Kennedy's other hideout near Ellie's beach house.

"This has everything you need." Kennedy zipped up the bag and tossed it to Enzo. "Julian is at Mila's house. We just got the transmission that her mom wants Mila to come over to see him."

"He thinks I'm dead, right?" Enzo tightened the vest. It was a safety measure Kennedy wouldn't budge on when we were both told that it was time to act.

"Don't worry," I grinned at Enzo. "I've got your back."

"We won't let you die," Zeke gave us a thumbs up. "If anything goes wrong, Kennedy will be there in minutes. Just give us the signal."

"Okay," I took a deep breath. "Let's do this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 11.8K 41
Meera has been rendered cynical after her high school boyfriend dumps her right after their board exams end. She decides to make the next phase of he...
61.4M 2.7M 83
Lisa and her boss, Alessandro, agree to spite their exes by pretending to date, but things begin to backfire when fake feelings become real along the...
270K 6.9K 43
Ever loved someone so much , it hurt when you realize you can't have them? β–ͺ️ β–ͺ️ β–ͺ️ First Place Winner in The...
56.7K 1.1K 25
βš˜α ‚ an ivy league college, a new roommate and miles away from her strict, religious parents, what could happen? a long battle of hard work, d...