Brooklyn's Queen: A Spot Conl...

By queenofnewsies23

Finley Kelly, the little sister of the famous Jack Kelly. She's the only girl newsie in all of New York, and... More

Intro
Chapter 1: Carrying The Banner
Chapter 2: You learn from Jack, you learn from the best
Chapter 3: Girl?
Chapter 4: Darkness
Chapter 5: The World Will Know
Chapter 6: Ambassadors
Chapter 7: Spot Conlon
Chapter 8: Seize the Day
Chapter 9: Those Eyes
Chapter 10: Brooklyn Is Here!
Chapter 11: You's A Brave Goil
Chapter 12: Jack 'ill Kill Me
Chapter 13: Perfectly Toned Body
Chapter 14: Any Problems?
Chapter 15: High Times, Hard Times
Chapter 16: Our Man Denton
Chapter 17: I Don't Understand
Chapter 18: You's Stabbed Us All In The Back
Chapter 19: Firery Goils
Chapter 21: The World Will Feel The Fire and Finally Know
Chapter 22: Dear Old Brotha
Chapter 23: You's Spot's goil?
Chapter 24: Thank Ya, I Mean It
Chapter 25: Harry from Queens
Chapter 26: Guess That Lucky Guy Is You
Chapter 27: About, You and Spot
Chapter 28: Business
Chapter 29: Girls Night Out
Chapter 30: Murderers in New York
Chapter 31: Still Living In Brooklyn
Chapter 32: Comin' to 'hattan
Chapter 33: Who Disobeyed My Orders
Chapter 34: Us?
Chapter 35: Wit and Maisy
Chapter 36: Caught
Chapter 37: Awake
Chapter 38: Cookies
Chapter 39: I Love You

Chapter 20: John Davis

6.4K 96 85
By queenofnewsies23

Spot and I walked all over Manhattan, just talking. It was so great. We talked about everything, and it was really nice just to relax. We walked mostly in the quiet places in Manhattan, because we didn't want to be bothered by the noise. We came up to a bench over looking the water, the sun was setting. We sat down.

"Oh, Spot! I's forgot to tell ya about this mornin'!" I exclaimed.

Spot looked intrigued because I was so excited.

"So, before Mush, Race, Kid, and I went to Medda's, we ran into the Delancy Brothas." I said.

"Oh geez, they's a bunch off dirty bags." Spot said. I laughed.

"I know. Well, Oscar and Morris started pickin' on us, and we's don't care, because we's know they can't do any damage. We jus stood there and kinda laughed inside at 'em talkin'. Then, Oscar made tis comment about me that I's did not like, so I's created a plan."

"Really?" Spot smiled. 

"Jus listen." I pushed his shoulder. "Anyway, I's pretend to like him and he fell for it! I's got really close and then socked him in his jaw, then came around and hit him again in his nose! He was so surprised you should have seen the look on his face!"

I laughed and Spot chuckled. "It was kinda 'a you had to see it' moment."

"That's me goil." Spot hugged me. 

"Yeah, he and Morris ran off like two scared kids. It was great." My laughter died a bit when I thought about Jack afterwards. I wanted my brother back and I couldn't stop thinking about him.

Spot saw this. He put his hand under my chin and lifted my face up to look at him.

"I know your upset, I promise we's will do everythin' in our power to have Jack come to his senses." Spot said.

He understood me. I smiled. He truly made me happy.

"Well, Mush, Race, and Kid all loved it. It was a great show for them." I tried to just shake off the subject, I did not want to think about it anymore. Spot went along with it.

"I's seen you kick ass before, I's would be scared if I's were Oscar or Morris." He punched me lightly in the stomach. 

I chuckled. I was pretty proud of myself from before, it was great.  

"What's up wit those two and you though? I's feel like their always comin' afta ya." Spot said.

"I dunno, maybe to throw off Jack or somethin', since they know I'm his sista." I told him.

"Yeah, well I's want you safe. So, those two won't see the light of day next time they lay a finger on ya." He kissed my forehead. "I's know you can take care of you's self, but I's jus don't want ya worryin' about these two thugs."

"I understand, Spot." I smiled at him. 

He put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in close next to him. I lay my head on his shoulder and we watched the sunset. 

"Spot?" I said.

"Yeah Finn?"

"What's ya real name?" I asked.

He took a minute, and then answered. "John."

"I like it, John Conlon." I looked at him.

"Actually, John Davis." He said.

"Oh, well, I's like that betta."

"I's glad you do." He kissed me on the lips. "Jus, maybe don't mention it to any of the boys. They's don't know my real name and I's like to keep it that way. You's know, for safety reasons."

"You's secrets safe wit me." I told him.

Spot was one of the biggest newsies in all of New York. I guess he gave himself a fake name just in case something happened, and he was involved. He could get out with his real name.

The sun was down, and the night sky began to cover us with darkness.

"I should be headin' back to the lodgin' house now." I said, standing up.

I figured I should stay with the boys tonight because I wanted to be with them. I kissed Spot on the lips and we said good bye to each other. 

"Be careful walkin' back." He raised his eyebrows.

I looked at him and grinned. "Of course I's will."

I let go of his hand and walked to the lodging house. Everyone was hanging out either on the first floor, or upstairs. I walked up the steps and found Race, Mush, Kid, Boots, and Skittery, playing a round of cards, black jack it looked like. 

"Awright boys, deal me in." I said, sitting in between Mush and Kid.

"Hey! The queen herself has returned." Kid said.

"Awh shut it." I pushed his shoulder, and he fell a bit to the side.

Kid laughed and so did the other boys. I picked up the pile of cards Race dealed me and held them in my hand. I had a great time with them. We laughed and pushed each other around. It felt like we were all together again, and this was the final group. We all forgot about Jack, and have moved on. 

"And that's how you win anotha game of black jack me boys." Race smirked, leaned back, and put his hands behind his head, like this was childs play for him.

"Whateva," I said, chuckling. Race was truly good at playing cards and betting, that's where he got his name from. He goes to the racetrack as many times as he can, and bets on the horses. He got himself the nickname Racetrack. 

We then heard the pounding of feet coming up the stairs. We all turned and looked to see who was coming up the stairs. It was Snipeshooter, and he was panting hard, like he just ran as fast as he could. He saw us and raced over. He put his arm on the end of the bed I was sitting on to hold himself up. He stood there for a few seconds catching his breath.

"Come on man, what you doin?" Kid asked, impatiently. 

"Jack," Snipeshooter managed to get out. "He's, not, a, scabber."

We all looked at each other. What was he talking about. We just looked at him in disbelief and he lost our attention. We all moved on from Jack, we didn't want to hear more. 

"Guys! Jack's helpin' us again! He's not a scabber!" Snipeshooter said. "Jus, come on!"

Again, we all looked at each other. By the looks on all our faces, we did not want get our hopes up.

"Snipeshoota, if this is a joke..." I told him.

"I'm not kiddin'! Let's go! We's need to get the big word out." Snipeshooter tried to get us to move.

"What word?" Mush asked.

Snipeshooter just raced down the stairs. We then all stood up and followed him out the lodging house. We came to the gates of the main place to get the newspapers. It was open and we stepped through. We then went through another door and down some stairs. We saw Jack, David, Sarah, Les, and Denton working on something. We looked around and saw what they were doing. They were using a old fashioned printing press to print out a paper for other newsies and working kids to join us in this fight. Jack was smiling and talking to Sarah. He then saw all of us standing at the end of the stairs, and his smile faded away. He put his hands in his pockets and walked towards us. His gaze was down at the floor.

"Heya guys." He said.

We all just looked at him. None of us spoke.

"Look, I'm sorry." Jack began. "I's was selfish, and I's just didn't think. I's was stupid, and disloyal, and a jerk. But, I finally snapped to me senses and realized, that was not the life for me. I'm sorry, I's truly am."

Our eyes wondered to each other. We didn't know if we should trust him or not. I was not ready to forgive him this quickly, the boys on the other hand, I guess they really wanted their leader back. Mush stepped forward, he got pretty close to Jack and looked at him. Then, he spit into his hand and Jack did the same. The two did a 'guy hug' and they laughed. 

"Noice to have you's back Jacky boy." Race said, slapping his back. 

Jack laughed. "So, we's need all the end we's can get. Go over to Davey, he'll give ya instructions."

The boys went over to him, I stayed in the same spot. Jack saw me standing there. He knew I was going to be hard. He walked over to me and stopped in front of my face.

"Finley," He said. His eyes were on mine. "I's know I hurt you's the most. Everythin' I said to you, I's wasn't thinkin'. I don't know what I's was doin'. I still can't believe some of the things I's said, especially to you. It hurts me that I said those things. You's me sista, and I will always love ya. I will neva let you go, and you will always be the person I's come to. I love ya Finn, truly, and I's missed ya."

He looked hurt. I knew he was sorry, but he also really hurt me, but yet again, he was family by blood. I could never be mad at him forever.

I sighed and looked away for a second. My eyes came back to him.

"You's owe me, big time." I told him.

Jack hugged me. "I knows I do, and trust me, I got somethin' big planned for ya." He said.

"Awright, you betta." I teased. "So, what's this big plan of yours wit tis paper?" 

Jack explained the plan. I liked it, and I think it could work. Jack, David, Sarah, Les, and Denton already printed a few, and now with our help, we could definitely get enough by morning. We all worked through the night. Pulitzer had no idea what was coming at him. 

We printed enough papes to start handing them out. The sun was starting to rise over the buildings of Manhattan. We each grabbed a pile of papes and headed on our way. 

"Finn, where's you goin'?" Jack asked.

"To Brooklyn." I told him.

"Nah, uh, you's ain't goin' there." Jack said.

"Why not?" I said.

"Trust me, I know Spot Conlon is mad at me right now, and sendin' me litta sista ain't gonna help. They's ain't gonna treat you nice." Jack said,

"Well, if we really want this thing to work, we's need Brooklyn." I told him. "Now you trust me, I's will be fine. I's good at persuasion, and afta what you did to me these past few days, I's think you should get off my back a bit."

The last sentence kind of took Jack back. He raised his eyebrows, I guess it surprised him. He didn't think I was just going to let it go, right? He waived his hand at me to get going and I ran down the streets. I needed to get there fast.

I finally got to the bridge and walked to catch my breath. The dock was not far from here. As I walked down the dock, the Brooklyn newsies were jumping into the water and having a good time. Again, I got some stares. I haven't come here in the daylight since the first day of the strike. The boys tried to intimidate me and tried to make me feel out of place, that didn't work. I just gave some of them stares back and kept my head high. Then, a very tall boy stood in front of me.

"Where's do you think you's goin' boy?" He said. I didn't know who he was, but he didn't look like the friendliest of guys. He looked about two years older than me.

I gave him a cold stare and went to push past him. He shoved me back, almost knocking me to the ground. Why, every time I come here, I get shoved around. I sighed, it was unnecessary. I brushed off my shirt and began walking towards him again. Now, everyone was looking at us.

"I don't think you's got the message..." The boy said. He swung his fist back, and was ready to soak me in the nose. He looked strong, and his blow could potentially knock me out, or break my nose. I saw it coming, so I got ready to duck. Just before he swung, Mac grabbed his arm. The boy looked confused.

"Get off meh!" He yelled. He shook Mac off. "Tis boy doesn't understand that's he's in Brooklyn's territory!"

"He's here to see Spot, knock it off Swifty." Bud said. He nodded his head for me to come with them. I started walking and gave the boy, Swifty, a cold stare. He gave one right back to me.

"Spot's in his cabin." Mac pointed over to it.

"Thanks guys." I told them.

I walked around the pile of crates and knocked on Spot's door. 

______________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 86 19
Kat Kelly: independent, sarcastic, and younger sister of Jack. NOT someone who needs "protection" by the reluctant King of Brooklyn himself, Spot Con...
3.4K 34 10
Spot Conlon is an eleven year old boy who lives in Brooklyn, New York. He works as a Brooklyn Newsies, selling papes for a penny each every day. Bein...
111K 2K 25
{Y/N} Kelly gets herself into some complicated situations. A girl posing as a boy to escape law enforcement and an overprotective brother that doesn'...
140K 2.6K 39
Little sister of Jack Kelly, Kenny Kelly, works for Joseph Pulitzer along with the rest of the newsboys. But as Pulitzer raises the price of the news...