Brooklyn's Queen: A Spot Conl...

By queenofnewsies23

Finley Kelly, the little sister of the famous Jack Kelly. She's the only girl newsie in all of New York, and... More

Intro
Chapter 1: Carrying The Banner
Chapter 2: You learn from Jack, you learn from the best
Chapter 3: Girl?
Chapter 4: Darkness
Chapter 5: The World Will Know
Chapter 6: Ambassadors
Chapter 7: Spot Conlon
Chapter 8: Seize the Day
Chapter 9: Those Eyes
Chapter 10: Brooklyn Is Here!
Chapter 11: You's A Brave Goil
Chapter 12: Jack 'ill Kill Me
Chapter 13: Perfectly Toned Body
Chapter 14: Any Problems?
Chapter 15: High Times, Hard Times
Chapter 16: Our Man Denton
Chapter 18: You's Stabbed Us All In The Back
Chapter 19: Firery Goils
Chapter 20: John Davis
Chapter 21: The World Will Feel The Fire and Finally Know
Chapter 22: Dear Old Brotha
Chapter 23: You's Spot's goil?
Chapter 24: Thank Ya, I Mean It
Chapter 25: Harry from Queens
Chapter 26: Guess That Lucky Guy Is You
Chapter 27: About, You and Spot
Chapter 28: Business
Chapter 29: Girls Night Out
Chapter 30: Murderers in New York
Chapter 31: Still Living In Brooklyn
Chapter 32: Comin' to 'hattan
Chapter 33: Who Disobeyed My Orders
Chapter 34: Us?
Chapter 35: Wit and Maisy
Chapter 36: Caught
Chapter 37: Awake
Chapter 38: Cookies
Chapter 39: I Love You

Chapter 17: I Don't Understand

7.4K 116 70
By queenofnewsies23

"No, I'm sure they will have the bulls posted at each entrance. They know we are going to try and get Jack outta there." David said. 

He had his hands on the table, and looked very stressed. I was still too upset to think about that. I know, everyone says, "It's Jack! He'll get himself out!" But, what if he doesn't. What if, this time he can't get out. The people at the refuge will take extra caution with Jack, and make sure theres no way to escape. I zoned out in thought, until David snapped in front of my face.

"Finn! Finn!" My eyes blinked and my head came back up to find David's face in mine. "Wake up! What are ya doing?" 

I shrugged my shoulders. "I dunno, thinkin'." 

"Out of all these people, I thought you would be the one most into getting your brother outta the refuge..." David told me.

"Hey knock it off, can't you's see she's had enough today?" Spot warned David. The two of them stared at each other. I took a deep breath, and placed my hand on Spot's chest, to stop him from getting closer to David. Davey was just as upset as I was, but he handled it differently. He wanted to get his best friend out of hell.

"Sorry, I's jus keep zonin' out. But, Davey, I promise we'll get Jack outta there." I looked at him. "Okay? Don't stress it." I told him calmly.

David sighed, and sat down. I guess him seeing me calm, made him calm. Well, I'm calm on the outside, but not on the inside. I just want to curl up and cry. I'm trying hard not to break down again. I guess I should start talking, the newsies listened to me.

I began to speak. "Alright, so this is what we's should do..." 

(Time jump to the night.)

Me, David, Mush, Race, Kid, and Les all hid next to the gates of the refuge. We were waiting for them to open, hopefully they would. We stood there, patiently and quietly. Then, they opened. A horse and carriage entered, and so did we close behind. We kept ourselves close to the wall and then hid behind a bunch of crates. 

David pointed to a window on the second floor. "That's where we saw Crutchy." 

The window was pretty high, so we would have to climb up onto the roof and lower the rope down that Mush held. We then heard the main doors open up. Our gaze came back down and we saw Jack. He was still in hand cuffs and was being led by Mr. Snyder. 

"It's Jack, it's Jack!" Les said, starting to walk out behind the crates.

"Shh!" David said pulling him back.

They put Jack into the carriage that we followed in, and Snyder jumped on as well. 

"Where they takin' him?" Mush asked.

"Only one way to find out." I said. "Meet you's back at the square." 

While the carriage was still in slow motion, I jumped on the back. No one saw me since I jumped on in the shadows. Jack taught me this trick. 

We came up to another pair of gates, these ones were a beautiful bronze metal, and they led to a big mansion. The carriage came to a stop and Jack and Mr. Snyder got out. There were two butlers and another man standing on the stairs. They walked up a big stair case into the house and disappeared behind the doors.

The two butlers stood in the same position, not moving. While they were focused on their guests, I climbed down and laid on the ground. I moved slowly in the shadows under the carriage. My head passed the thing that connected the carriage to the house. I quickly thought, and pulled the pin that connected them together, in case they tried to come after us. As of right now, my plan was not so well thought out. I finally made my way behind some bushes next to the giant stairs leading into the house. I crouched down and waited in the shadows.

I waited only a few minutes, and then I saw Jack emerge from the doors with Snyder next to him. He did not have the hand cuffs on any more. 

"Jack! Come on, come on!" I waved at him.

Jack saw me and looked surprised. He then jumped over the railing of the stairs and took off towards me. Jack and I were pretty fast, so we out ran the men trying to follow us. 

I then heard Snyder shout, "After them!" He jumped on the carriage and the driver waved the reins for the horse to move forward. The horse went, but the carriage stayed in place. My brother and I ran back through the bronze gates and down the street. Guess my not so well thought out plan worked. I looked behind me and saw all the men just looking at us.

We ran until we almost reached the square. Jack all of a sudden stopped.

"You shouldn't have done this Finley!" He said. 

I looked back at him, shocked. 

"They could put you in the orphanage!" Jack told me.

"I don't care..." I turned back around and began to walk towards the square.

Jack then grabbed me and put me up against the wall so I couldn't run away from him.

"Finley, they's can get you and put you's in the orphanage. They knows about you, and they's know you's a goil. I ain't playin'!" Jack looked away from me. "Thanks for what ya done but get outta 'ere."

I pushed his hand off my shoulder. "I don't understand..."

"I don't understand either but jus get outta 'ere!" Jack shouted at me and pushed me towards the square. He's never done this before to me.

Now, I was angry. "No!" I shouted back.

"Go!" He yelled again. 

I just shook my head and turned the other way. Tears streamed down my face. Why? Why would he just push me away and not want to leave? I don't understand. I was very confused. I brought my hands up to my head and wiped my face. 

I walked into the square and spotted David, Race, Mush, and Les. They saw me without Jack, and my eyes were red from crying. Race walked up to me.

"Where's Jack?" He asked. 

I kept my eyes on the ground. "He didn't want to come with me." I told them.

"Whatta you mean?" David asked.

I lifted my head. "He didn't want our help!" I realized I was shouting. My voice came back down. "Jack said 'thanks for the help, but get outta 'ere.'". 

The boys looked confused. The all looked at me for more answers, and I wish I could give them more, but I couldn't.

"But, he's Jack, the cowboy, there has to be something to it." Les said. 

I looked at Les. "I hope so Les." I told him. 

There were no more words said between us. David and Les went back to their home, and Race, Mush, and I walked back to the lodging house. I was too upset, I knew I was not going to sleep tonight. I let out a long draw breath. I then stopped in front of the lodging house. I wanted to see Spot. 

Race turned around and saw me stopped. He walked back down the steps.

"Everythin' awlright Finn?" He asked.

I kept my gaze down. "I think I'm goin' to spend the night in Brooklyn."

Race didn't say anything. He just gave me a hug. I hugged him back.

"So, are you's and Spot a thing now?" He smiled. I could tell he supported me.

I smiled back and looked at him.

"Say no more." He slapped my shoulder and turned back to the lodging house. "You's want me to walk ya there?"

"Nah, I'm fine." I told him.

"I know." He said. "You's Finley Kelly, the toughest goil alive."

We both chuckled a little bit, and we turned in separate directions.

I now knew the walk to Brooklyn pretty well, and didn't get lost. It almost felt normal walking to the dock. I've only been here a few times, but I already knew the way and was used to the walk.

My feet stepped onto the wooden dock. Some of the wood stuck out, and I made sure that I stepped over it this time. As always, Bud and Mac stood there, waiting for intruders. They only saw a figure coming, and the buffed up, making themselves look 5 times bigger. I laughed under my breath a little bit.

"Don't worry boys, jus me." I said to them. They pulled themselves back together. Guess they knew my voice by now.

"Hello Miss Kelly." Mac said. They stepped aside and let me through.

I remembered where Spots cabin was and walked to the door. I knocked lightly, and I heard him say, "Come in."

I took my cap off and let my hair down. Spot liked it better without my cap. I pushed open the door lightly. My head came through first and he recognized me, even in the darkness. I saw him smile.

"Heya doll face." He said to me.

He was sitting on his bed. His dirty blonde hair was all ruffled up and a bit of a mess, but it looked good like that. His shirt was off and his body glowed in the dark. Just the sight of him made me happy. I brought the rest of my body through the door and sat next to him on the bed. I grabbed his hand and just held it in mine.

"Everythin' awlright? How's Jackie boy?" He asked. 

My face became sad, and my gaze fell to the floor. I took a few seconds, trying to pull myself together not to cry.

"It didn't work out." I said,

"Whatta ya mean? Did your plan not work?" Spot asked.

"Well, the plan worked, Jack didn't." Spot looked at me confused.

"Trust me I'm confused also." I said. 

I told him the whole story, about how I got Jack out of there, but then he refused to come with me. Spot listened to me and saw that I was upset. I'm sure he was upset also. Jack was the face of the strike, we needed him.

"That makes no sense." Spot said once I finished. "Why would he...? I dunno."

Spot kissed my head and put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. We sat like this for a minute, until Spot said something.

"Wanna hit the hay? I think we've both had a very long day."

I nodded my head. Being with Spot made me feel comfortable, and calm. I was going to try and sleep, but I wasn't sure if I was going to. 

I made my way under the covers and facing the wall, just like last night. Spot took off his pants and only had his boxers on, just like last night. He climbed under the sheets and pulled himself close to me. His arm was around my waist. His stomach was against my back. 

What felt like hours went by, and I still wasn't asleep. I sighed, and turned to see if Spot was awake. His eyes were closed. I just turned back towards the wall.

"What's up doll face?" Spot said in a quiet voice. He was awake.

I turned back around and said, "What if Jack was tryin' to protect us. Like they threatened him or somethin'..."

Spot kissed my forehead. "Well, if that was the case, it would be an explanation for his behavior."

"As bad as this sounds, I kinda hope it's somethin' like that. 'Cause that was not Jack." I told him.

"I know." Spot said. He hugged me tighter and a few tears fell from my eyes. Spot saw this and brought his hand up to my face. He gently wiped them away.

"Everythin's goin' to be okay, I promise ya Finley."

Spot was the only person I wanted to be with in the entire world right now. He completed me, and I honestly don't know what I would have done if I never met him. 

"Goodnight." I said.

"Gd' night." Spot said.

_______________________

I need a guy like Spot asap

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.2K 1.7K 17
NOTE: CURRENTLY UNDERGOING REVISION! Twilight Eventide is a 15 year old girl who has a temper, a bad temper. That's where she got her name, Tempest...
12K 140 18
Jazzer Higgins is Racetrack's long lost twin sister who has just made her way to Manhattan after escaping the girls version of the Refuge. She is gla...
66.7K 746 16
Joss Kelly is the younger sister of Manhattan Newsie Jack Kelly. Joss is the only female Newsie in Manhattan, so she hides behind the alias of Jace K...
14.3K 326 31
Dixie Kelly is none other than Jack Kelly's younger sister. The other Newsies will describe her as kind-hearted, loving, mischievous, beautiful and s...