Brooklyn's Queen: A Spot Conl...

By queenofnewsies23

Finley Kelly, the little sister of the famous Jack Kelly. She's the only girl newsie in all of New York, and... More

Intro
Chapter 1: Carrying The Banner
Chapter 2: You learn from Jack, you learn from the best
Chapter 3: Girl?
Chapter 4: Darkness
Chapter 5: The World Will Know
Chapter 6: Ambassadors
Chapter 7: Spot Conlon
Chapter 8: Seize the Day
Chapter 9: Those Eyes
Chapter 10: Brooklyn Is Here!
Chapter 11: You's A Brave Goil
Chapter 12: Jack 'ill Kill Me
Chapter 13: Perfectly Toned Body
Chapter 14: Any Problems?
Chapter 15: High Times, Hard Times
Chapter 17: I Don't Understand
Chapter 18: You's Stabbed Us All In The Back
Chapter 19: Firery Goils
Chapter 20: John Davis
Chapter 21: The World Will Feel The Fire and Finally Know
Chapter 22: Dear Old Brotha
Chapter 23: You's Spot's goil?
Chapter 24: Thank Ya, I Mean It
Chapter 25: Harry from Queens
Chapter 26: Guess That Lucky Guy Is You
Chapter 27: About, You and Spot
Chapter 28: Business
Chapter 29: Girls Night Out
Chapter 30: Murderers in New York
Chapter 31: Still Living In Brooklyn
Chapter 32: Comin' to 'hattan
Chapter 33: Who Disobeyed My Orders
Chapter 34: Us?
Chapter 35: Wit and Maisy
Chapter 36: Caught
Chapter 37: Awake
Chapter 38: Cookies
Chapter 39: I Love You

Chapter 16: Our Man Denton

7.3K 111 78
By queenofnewsies23

"Awrise, awrise, court is now in session."

A few of us newsies that the bulls caught at the end of the rally stood in front of a judge. It was mostly Manhattan and Brooklyn newsies. I was worried, not about me, but about Jack. I didn't see him anywhere in the court room. I kept popping my head up to look around, but ended up with nothing each time. 

"Are any of you represented by council?" The judge asked. 

"What's a counsil?" I heard Race say.

"No?" He said. "Good, good, that'll move things along considerably."

Spot then spoke up. "Hey, your honor I object."

"On what grounds?" The judge asked harshly.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn your honor." Spot said.

We all began to laugh at Spot's joke, and Race's face. Spot turned and smiled at me. I gave him a grin. He was just trying to lighten the mood.

The judge looked at us seriously. "I fine each of you $5, or 2 weeks confinement in the house of refuge."

Race looked around at us. "Woah, woah, we don't got 5 bucks, we don't even got 5 cents."

"Move along, move along." The judge pushed us out of his way. He didn't care that we were a bunch of broke kids looking to do the right thing. Just then, Denton walked in.

"I'll pay the fines." He said. He was such a good man, what would we do without him. "All of them."

David walked in behind him. It was good to see Davey.

"Hey fellas, where's Jack?" David asked. He looked over at me. I frowned and shrugged my shoulders. 

"We have to meet at the restaurant." Denton told us all. "Everybody, we have to talk."

The judge pounded his paddle on his podium. "Pay the clerk, move it along."

Just then, Jack walked in the room with his hands behind his back in handcuffs. He was okay. I sign of relief came to me, but we still had to see what his sentence was.

"Hey fellas." Jack shouted to us.

"Nice shinna." Race yelled back to him. He laughed. 

"Denton, I guess we made all the papes this time, huh? How'd my picture look?" Jack said.

"None of the papers covered the rally." Denton said. "Not even the sun." 

Jack looked disappointed, and hurt. I knew how much this meant to him. He found me in the crowd. We looked at each other for a few seconds, until the police officer led him in front of the judge.

"Case of Jack Kelly, inciting to riot, assault, resisting arrest." A man said. 

"Judge Monahan, I'll speak for this young man." It was Snyder. Why does this guy have to be everywhere we go? I hated him. I gave him a nasty stare, because I knew what ever he had to say was not going to be good.

"Well you two know each otha, ain't that nice." Jack said coldly. He stood in front of the judge, facing Mr. Snyder.

Snyder spoke up. "This boy's real name is Francis Sullivan. Mother deceased, father a convict in the state penitentiary."

Jack looked over at us. David looked hurt, Jack did lie to him, but for his own benefit. I caught his eyes again, and he just looked at me and kept my gaze.

"He is currently an escapee from the House of Refuge, where his original sentence of three months for theft was extended six months for disruptive behavior."

Jack stopped Snyder. "Like demandin' you give us the food you steal from us."

Snyder continued. "Followed by an additional six months for an attempted escape."

"Attempted, attempted, remember Snyder? Teddy Roosevelt and the carriage, remember roosevelt and the carriage?"

"Therefore, I ask that he be returned to the House of Refuge."

"Right, for my own good, move along? And for what Snyder kicks back to ya."

"And that the court order his incarceration until the age of twenty-one, In the hope that we may yet guide him to a useful and productive life."

"So ordered." The judge pounded the paddle again.

"No!" I yell. My face melted. My brother, he may be gone. Jack couldn't stand being in the refuge for that long, no way. Tear began to flow from my eyes. 

The police shoved Jack back through the door he came in. I didn't even get to say goodbye. Race, who was standing next to me, gave me a hug. He was upset too, he just saw his best friend being taken in hand cuffs to the place we all hated the most.

"You's know, it's Jack. He'll find a way out." He tried to calm me, but I just stood there, looking at the door, hoping Jack comes back through. "Come on, let's go to the restaurant." 

"You go on, just give me a sec, kay?" I said. Race nodded. 

Him and the rest of the newsies started to walk out of the courthouse. I hung behind everyone. I sighed, I now had no one. I walked outside and took a deep breath of the air around me. I closed my eyes and let the slight breeze hit my face. I then felt a hand on my arm. I opened my eyes and saw it was Spot. He didn't say anything, he just embraced me. My hands were on his chest and my head was on his shoulder. I began to break down. 

My tears came back and I fell to the ground. Spot followed me down, and was now crouching on the ground, still holding me tightly. 

I finally managed to get some words out of my mouth. "I have no one." 

"You's do not have no one. One promise I will keep, is that you are not alone. You have me, and I wills always be there for ya Finley."

I pulled my head from his chest and he looked at me with his beautiful blue eyes, the same eyes I fell in love with that first night we met. 

"And anotha promise I will make, will be doin' everything in my power to get Jack outta the refuge." 

"Really?" I said. 

"Yes, really." He smiled. "I promise on my life, kay?"

I hugged him now. I know Spot and I have only known each other for a few days, but it feels like we have for loved each other for a life time. I wiped my tears from my face.

"Okay, let's get to the restaurant." I said. "Denton will be lookin' for us."

Spot nodded. We stood up and walked over to the restaurant. We were holding hands through the street. Spot opened up the door for me. I smiled and walked in. All the boys sat around at the tables and Denton stood in the middle of them.

Denton turned and saw us walk in. "Okay, everyone's here?" 

Everyone except Jack, I thought.

"Why didn't the sun print the story?" David asked.

"Because it never happened." Denton told us.

"Neva happened?" I blurted out.

"Whatta ya mean?" I heard others say. Commotion rang in the seats. 

"If it's not in the papers, it never happened." Denton said. "The owners decreed that it not be in the papers, therefore I just came to tell you fellows goodbye." 

We all looked at each other, confused. Denton was our guy. He helped spark the news boy strike, what was he talking about?

"What happened, you get fired or somethin'?" David stepped up to Denton.

"No, I got reassigned." Denton said. "Back to the suns ace war correspondent. They want me to leave right away. The owner thinks I should be covering only the 'really important' stories. So wish me luck, boys. At least half what I wish you. They don't always fire you, David."

We all were upset, especially David. He did not look like he was taking this well.

"Hey I'm a newspaper man, I have to have a newspaper to write for." Denton walked over to David. "This is, huh, the story I wrote about the rally." 

Denton unfolded a piece of paper and handed it to David. 

"And I, want you to read it at least." He pushed the paper into David's chest. David just looked at him, upset.

We all watched our man Denton walk towards the door.

"Bill, this should cover it." He handed some money to the server.

Denton stopped in front of me.

"Take care of them. I know you can." He told me. I nodded my head. Then, he left.

David now stood in the middle. "We get Jack outta the refuge, tonight. We trust no one but the newsies."

"Yeah," Everyone said. 

I sighed. Everyone got up and headed for the door.

"Come on Finley, let's start plannin' on getting your brother outta there." David said to me.

__________

Oh man

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88K 1.1K 17
Josephine Carter became the first and only female Newsie when she ran away from her family at the age of ten because they didn't love her. Jack Kelly...
13.9K 152 18
"I'm the queen of New York!" In which, Annabeth Kelly faces many challenges amongst being a Newsie in Manhattan, New York. Alongside her is Jack Kell...
1.2K 28 16
Y/n Kelly, Jack's sister, a newsie from Manhattan who is best friends with Race, Albert and Specs. But she has liked Race for about 1 year, only Crut...
111K 2K 25
{Y/N} Kelly gets herself into some complicated situations. A girl posing as a boy to escape law enforcement and an overprotective brother that doesn'...