Fake || a kth and jjk ff

By eggobap

In which two strangers with problems decide to "marry" each other out of mutual benefit. Taehyung is only sup... More

|| one ||
|| two ||
|| three ||
|| four ||
|| five ||
|| six ||
|| seven ||
|| eight ||
|| nine ||
|| ten ||
|| eleven ||
|| twelve ||
|| thirteen ||
|| fourteen ||
|| sixteen ||
|| seventeen ||
|| eighteen ||
|| nineteen ||
|| twenty ||
|| twenty-one ||
|| twenty-two ||
|| twenty-three ||
|| twenty-four ||
|| twenty-five ||
|| twenty-six ||
|| twenty-seven ||
|| twenty-eight ||
|| twenty-nine ||
|| thirty ||
|| epilogue ||

|| fifteen ||

7K 406 157
By eggobap

Several hours later, Jungkook was furious with him, and not without cause. For one thing, Namjoon had showed up, and despite the obvious distaste by the younger, Jin had been glued to him all night, which frankly, had both of them concerned. Jin never hooked up with anyone without a purpose other than sex, but he wasn't flirting like mad with him either. What could possibly be his goal this time? He wasn't going to get any information about the patent from Namjoon. The most he could hope for was to get intel on Jungkook, and that was pushing it.

But the main reason for Jungkook's mood was because Taehyung was being a very attentive boyfriend—getting him food and drinks, joining in conversations, making sure he was comfortable. Jungkook's family loved him. No one would find fault in that—in fact, they'd revel in it—but Taehyung was supposed to be paving the way to their breakup. And after Taehyung's behavior over the last couple of hours, the only person at the family dinner expecting that outcome was Jungkook.

Taehyung had spent most of the day dreading tonight's dinner, but it was exactly the opposite of what he'd expected. Taehyung genuinely enjoyed hanging out with Jeon Seongjin's huge family. They were down to earth and fun, the complete opposite of Jeon Ae-ri and her friends. It made Taehyung wonder why Seongjin had chosen to marry her.

The first hour was so fun he'd completely forgotten he was supposed to be laying the groundwork for the breakup he planned to initiate. But even after realizing his mistake, he was in too good of a mood to play the part, even just enough to appease Jungkook, which had been his original plan.

He was having a conversation with Jungkook's Uncle Seonghoon about the best fishing places along Nakdong River when Jungkook wrapped his hand around Taehyung's lower forearm, his nails digging into Tae's flesh.

"Can I talk to you?" Jungkook tried to keep his tone sweet, but Tae heard the annoyed hitch in his voice.

"Uncle Seonghoon was inviting me to come fishing with him this fall," Tae said with a smile, ignoring the pain in his arm.

"Yeah, I heard, but I need help with the...thing."

"What thing?" Jungkook's uncle asked.

Jungkook's eyes widened in panic; he obviously hadn't expected his ploy to be questioned.

A slow smile spread across Taehyung's face. "I've been summoned." He gave Jungkook's uncle a wink. "Never tell a beautiful man no when he wants to get you alone. Am I right?"

His uncle chuckled. "Smart man you've got there, Jungkook."

"I'm beginning to wonder," he grumbled as Tae stood and took Jungkook's hand in his.

Tae leaned close to his ear and whispered loud enough for his uncle to hear, "Just where did you have in mind?"

Jungkook jerked on his hand. He stumbled slightly but contained his amusement. Jungkook was cute when he was pissed. But Taehyung kept his thoughts to himself and followed him through the kitchen and down the stairs to the basement.

Why hadn't Tae thought to check the basement rather than his botched attempt to find his father's home office? After all, what better place to stow things best left forgotten?

But he didn't have time to look around once they reached the bottom of the stairs. "Your bedroom probably has a better atmosphere for a romantic rendezvous than your parents' musty basement."

"I did not bring you down here to make out!"

"From the look on your face, you brought me down here to murder me. But I caution you to think it through. It would be difficult to hide my body, and I think Namjoon's too busy with Jin to help."

"Why is your brother flirting with my best friend?"

"He's an... interesting man, Jungkook." Tae put his hands on Jungkook's hips and pulled him closer. "But not nearly as interesting as you."

"Cut the bullshit, Taehyung."

"I really do think you're beautiful—" his voice lost its teasing tone, "—and I don't know why Jin is so taken with Namjoon, but he's definitely a smart man. He can handle himself."

Taehyung was still holding Jungkook close, resisting the urge to kiss him. Although he suspected it would distract Jungkook from the next topic he was sure to bring up, Tae didn't want to play him that way.

"What are you doing, Taehyung?"

"I'm standing in your basement, waiting to see if you're going to murder me or not." He made a show of spinning his head to take it in. "I'm surprised it's unfinished. And that your mother didn't ask your father to set up his man cave down here rather than upstairs."

"You can't change the subject. Why aren't you trying to break up with me like we discussed?"

"You haven't given me much opportunity."

Jungkook pulled out of his grasp. "We've been out there for two hours!"'

"Really?" Taehyung asked in what he hoped was believable surprise. "I guess I was too busy having a good time. I like your dad's family."

Jungkook shook his head, as though trying to clear his confusion. "I like my father's family too, but you have to stick to the plan."

"What do you want me to do?" Taehyung asked, spreading his hands. "I've never purposely acted like an asshole before." Jungkook snorted, and Tae gave him a look of surprise. "Are you suggesting I'm a natural asshole?"

"No... I don't know." He scowled. "But we have to do something, Taehyung. We have to end this tonight. This is getting bad."

"I know. You're right. How about I start drinking a lot and then I can act like a sloppy drunk, giving you a good reason to break up with me."

Jungkook pursed his lips, deep in thought, before nodding and looking up at him. "Yeah. That's good. If you just start acting like a jerk now, my family will wonder why you're like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

"Okay, so I'll start getting drunk. Let's get to it." Tae took his hand, surprised when the younger didn't protest, and led him up the stairs. When they were in the kitchen, he stopped and dropped his hold on Jungkook. "But first I need to visit the restroom before I go back outside." He patted his stomach. "That pulled pork isn't quite agreeing with me."

The look Jungkook gave him said that he didn't quite trust him, but the request was too reasonable to deny.

"You don't have to wait for me. In fact, it might be safer for me to go upstairs." Taehyung grimaced.

Jungkook released a nervous laugh. "Don't let my father hear you say that. He loves Gate's barbeque. He'd call that blasphemy."

"From all the dogs barking outside your fence, I'd say they like it too." The sound seemed almost appropriate given the laid-back vibe of the evening, but he knew it had to be driving Ae-ri crazy.

A sly grin spread across Jungkook's face. "Those are the Nams' dogs. Mother is furious they got loose. In fact, she called animal control, but apparently, they haven't shown up yet."

"You really do take a perverse pleasure at your mother's aggravation."

Jungkook laughed. "I guess that makes me wicked."

Taehyung liked the thought of him doing wicked things, but not the kind the younger currently had in mind.

"You go on back outside," Taehyung said, heading for the stairs. "I'll be out as soon as I'm fit to be seen in public." He bounded up the stairs two at a time in his attempt to get away from Jungkook. He wasn't so sure how convincing his gastrointestinal issue was, but he had to talk to Jin. And maybe he could find Seongjin's home office while he was upstairs.

He opened the first room on his right, finding what appeared to be Jimin's room. The scene that greeted him made him look away as fast as lightning, squeaking a "sorry" out before slamming the door back shut.

Eliminating Jungkook's and his grandmother's rooms, that left one possibility. He pushed open the door, relieved that there wasn't a couple on the bed making out. Instead, there was a desk with a desktop computer and a credenza and printer. Pulling out his phone, he texted his brother. I found Jeon's home office.

Seconds later Jin responded. I found it first. I'm sleeping there, Sherlock. Taehyung could practically hear his sarcasm.

Sure enough, there was a bag on the loveseat on the wall opposite the desk. Have you checked it yet?

Not thoroughly, but I have all night. As long as you don't screw this up now.

Taehyung released a heavy breath. He wants me to break up with him tonight.

Obviously you can't. Figure something out.

Figure something out. Sure, no problem.

Tae went back downstairs and grabbed a bottle of beer from the cooler by the back door, taking a long drag from it before he searched for Jungkook. The younger was standing with a group of his cousins and aunts. He looked nervous, and Tae hated the knowledge that he was to blame, but he couldn't give Jungkook what he wanted. Not yet. Now that Jin was here, they could get what they needed to save the business and Taehyung would break up with him tomorrow night at the rehearsal dinner. He could pretend to get drunk tomorrow night, then put the moves on Namjoon. Tae almost choked on his beer at the very thought of it, but it was a good plan. Namjoon would raise holy hell and no one would condone Jungkook marrying him then.

But he couldn't tell Jungkook his new plan. He'd drink a lot tonight to pave the way to the big finale tomorrow and figure out a way to appease him in the meantime.

Taehyung's other problem—how to appease his own hurting heart once Jungkook found out what he was about—was entirely his own cross to bear.

He took another draw off the bottle, trying to chase the feeling away. How could he already be so attached to Jungkook? He hardly knew him, but he knew enough not to want to let the younger go. He finished off the beer and grabbed another. Fuel for the performance.

Jungkook turned and saw him, his face momentarily lighting up...then fading. He lifted his bottle in salute to show him he was on task.

He walked toward Jungkook and a black cat shot out from a bush, darting across his path. He stumbled to keep from tripping on it, and he was sure it made him look drunk, although anyone who had been paying attention would realize it was far from true. He couldn't face Jungkook at the moment, so he made his way over to Jin, who was sitting at a small table with Hoseok, very far away from Namjoon. Jin looked like he was sulking when Tae sat down across from them.

"What's got you so low?" Jin asked, leaning back in his seat. "You looked like you were having a great night until your fiancé dragged you away. You should be wearing a fabulous grin right about now."

Taehyung glared at his brother and took another long drag of his beer. "Hmph. And you don't look much better, princess."

"Have you thought of a way to keep from breaking up with Jungkook?" Jin asked, ignoring his brother's comment.

Lowering the bottle, Taehyung cast a glance toward Hoseok.

Hobi gave him a sympathetic smile. "He knows I'm helping you."

Taehyung couldn't contain his look of surprise. What had Jin confessed to?

Jin gave him a conspiratorial grin. "I'm all in. I'll get you to the altar."

"What?" Taehyung asked.

Jin shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a sucker for true love."

Hoseok snorted. "Liar. I know people like you. You wouldn't know true love if it bit you in the ass."

Taehyung was relieved that Jin still hadn't fooled Hoseok.

Jin shrugged and held out his hands. "Okay, you caught me. I don't believe in love. I think what people call love is all about hormones and loneliness." He leaned his elbow on the table and waved to his brother as he gave his attention to Hobi. "Take Taehyungie here. He's been so focused on his job that he's barely dated in the last two years."

Taehyung groaned. "I've dated. I just don't share all the details." He took a drink, then shot his brother a piercing glare. "Unlike someone I know."

Jin chuckled and turned his attention to the pretty brunette sitting next to him. "Like I said. Tae is lonely and he comes to Busan in his self-imposed exile, during which he stumbles upon a pretty boy on a train. Said pretty boy is desperate for rescue and he instantly falls for him."

"Shh!" Taehyung's eyes flew open in alarm. "Keep it down."

Jin's grin widened as he looked around. "Cool your jets. No one heard."

Tae's chest tightened with anger. He was in this situation because of Jin. And now he was treating Jungkook's life like it was some sort of game. Jin was going to fuck Jungkook over for his own purposes without thinking twice about it.

No. Taehyung was fucking him over just as badly, and he could only imagine how hurt he was going to be when he found out. He had hoped that he could get out of this without Jungkook ever finding out. But it seemed pretty unlikely, especially now that Jin was involved. Jin was good for one thing—destroying everything good in Taehyung's life.

Why had he let him come?

Maybe he should break up with Jungkook tonight after all, put this farce to rest. Give up on the company. Give up on a real chance with him.

Taehyung finished off the beer and set the bottle on the table. He started to get up. "I need another."

Jin slapped Taehyung's shoulder and pushed him back down. "Cheer up there, young lad," he said in fake Busan satoori. "I'll get you another and all will be well." He stood and the barking dogs against the fence amped up their racket. The black cat Taehyung had seen earlier was now calmly stalking across the top of the fence.

"Knickers looks like she's about to come unglued," Hoseok laughed.

Sure enough, Ae-ri looked furious. She stomped over to her husband, nearly tripping over a cup on the deck, which only infuriated her more. "Seongjin!" she shouted. "Do something!"

Seongjin, who had been sitting with his brother on the deck, got to his feet. "What do you want me to do?"

"Make them stop!"

As he passed Seongjin, Jin pointed to the cat, which was still on the fence, hissing with its back arched. Then Jin grabbed three beers out of the cooler.

Hoseok watched the drama with amusement in his eyes.

"Jungkook has insisted I break up with him tonight." Tae said quietly.

Hobi swung his gaze to him, eyebrows arched. "You're not considering it, are you?"

He sighed. "I don't know, maybe."

The elder leaned toward him, desperation in his eyes. "You can't."

Taehyung rested his palm on the table, the two beers he'd drank within the past five minutes making him feel melancholy rather than buzzed. "He's right, hyung. I'm putting him in an awkward situation. The longer I wait to do this, the harder it will be to cancel everything."

Hoseok leaned in closer, his face inches from Tae's. "The only person who's going to be negatively affected by canceling the wedding is Knickers. The money's gone whether there's a wedding or not. Don't let that stop you from going after Jungkook."

"But it's all a lie, Hobi-hyung."

Hoseok's jaw set and determination filled his eyes. "Do you like Kookie?"

"What?"

"It's a simple question. Do you like him?"

"You know I do."

"Then whatever you do, don't break up with him tonight. Wait."

"How long do I wait? Until we're at the altar and the minister says, 'Do you,—what's the fucker's last name again?" The fuzziness in his head held the bastard's name out of reach.

"Kang."

"Kang Taehyeon." The name rolled off Taehyung's tongue with a sneer. "So the minister says, 'Do you, Kang Taehyeon, take Jeon Jungkook to be your lawfully wedded husband?' and I say... 'Well, about that...did I mention that I'm just his substitute fiancé?'"

Hobi sat back, glancing over at his friend. "It doesn't have to go that far. Just make Jungkook realize how much he likes you. Make him admit that he wants this to work."

"Jungkook likes me, but what if I can't get him to admit that he does? That I'm worth fighting for?" Tae took a deep breath and blew it out. "I'm seriously considering giving up everything to try to make this work. What if he doesn't feel the same? He's in this situation to keep his mother from blowing her gasket. There's no way we can tell Knickers the truth and come out unscathed."

Hoseok didn't respond.

In the end, it didn't matter how Jungkook felt, not really. It wasn't worth toying with Jungkook's life.

It wasn't the solution Taehyung wanted, but he could live with it. If he had to give it all up, though, he wanted to at least enjoy one more day with Jungkook—twenty-four hours—before he came clean. "Tomorrow night." Saying it out loud helped cement the rightness of his decision. "I'm doing this tomorrow night."

Jin returned and set a bottle of beer in front of him. "What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Breaking up with Jungkook."

Jin looked slightly panicked. "Whoa, slow down there, lover boy. What if we haven't accomplished our mission?"

Hobi turned a skeptical eye on him. "What mission?"

An oh shit look crossed Jin's face and Taehyung groaned. He should have known Jin would screw it up.

Jin rolled his eyes. "Making Jungkook fall in love with Taehyung. What the hell else would I be talking about?"

But the seeds of doubt had been planted in Hoseok's head, and he turned his discerning eye on Tae.

Taehyung picked up his bottle. "Trust me, no one's more surprised by this turn of events than I am."

"So we agree no breaking up tonight, right?" Hobi asked.

"I may not have a choice," Taehyung said, glumly.

Jin was about to protest when Ae-ri, who was now standing by the edge of the deck, began screaming. "What have you done?"

Three big dogs burst through the back gate, racing for the food table. Everyone started shouting as the dogs jumped onto the deck, snarling over the pans of pork, brisket, baked beans, and coleslaw.

"What are they doing?" Ae-ri screamed. "Somebody stop them!"

But everyone either ran screaming or watched in silent horror as the dogs knocked over the table. The pans of food fell to the concrete, and the two candles rolled off, one of them setting the tablecloth on fire.

The black cat ran past the spilled food and burning tablecloth, hissing and screeching. One of the dogs looked up, a string of brisket hanging from its mouth, and took off running after the scared cat, which found its exit to the back yard blocked by the bar Jimin had set up the night before. The cat skidded around the corner, the dog gaining on it, while the two other dogs dragged the pans of food away from the now-raging fire.

"Fire!" Ae-ri shouted. "Seongjin! Do something!"

Seongjin ran toward the fire, grabbed a plastic cup off the table, then knelt by the pool and started scooping up some water and tossing it toward the fire.

The cat continued its race around the pool with the dog closing the distance. The fifty-pound lab crashed into one of Jungkook's younger cousins, a girl who looked like she was around six years old. The girl fell sideways into the pool, creating a huge splash that drenched the people nearby.

One of the drenched women began screaming, while Jungkook—who was with them—watched the melee in horror. The little girl surfaced but began flailing in the deep end of the pool.

"I don't think that little girl can swim," Taehyung said to Hoseok, his voice panicked.

"Oh my god," Hobi shouted. "I think you're right." The black cat continued to circle the pool, the dog in hot pursuit. In its haste, the dog knocked over a small table, sending the cups and candle that had been on top skittering across the concrete.

The fire from the tablecloth spread to the nearby table.

"You've ruined everything!" Ae-ri yelled at Seongjin, who continued to douse the flames with scoops of water.

The back door flung open, bouncing off the house with a loud bang. Gran stood in the doorway, her feet spread apart, holding a fire extinguisher and wearing nothing but her birthday suit. "Did someone say fire?"

The girl was still in the pool, but now she was underwater.

Taehyung kicked off his shoes and dove in, finding the girl close to the bottom of the ten-foot-deep pool. He grabbed her waist with one arm and swam for the top. When they broke through the surface, the girl gasped for air and started crying. She flailed and kicked as Taehyung swam to the edge of the pool, dragging her with him.

Jin was kneeling at the edge, reaching toward them. "I'll take her."

Taehyung swam over to him and Jin grabbed her arms, lifting her out. As he set her on her feet, the little girl leaned over Jin's arm. Crying out in surprise, he dropped his hold on her. "She bit me!"

Taehyung clung to the side of the pool, heart racing.

The other two dogs, having devoured the food, joined in the cat chase.

"Take care of those animals!" Ae-ri shouted over the confusion.

"What do you want me to do?" Seongjin shouted, still throwing water onto the now raging fire.

Gram stopped in front of the burning food table and fumbled with the fire extinguisher. One of Seongjin's brothers moved toward her, trying to keep his gaze averted as he blindly reached for the extinguisher. "Ma'am, hand it to me and let me do it."

"I've got it," she said, exasperated.

Jungkook's uncle moved closer, still not looking while he held his open hand out—a tactic that accidentally led to him grabbing Gran's butt. The man shouted in horror, but a wide grin spread across Gran's face. "I think I just got goosed."

"For God's sakes, Mother!" Jungkook's mother shouted. "Put some clothes on!"

But Gran pulled a pin and tossed it on the ground, then shot foam onto the fire. Once the fire was out, she kept spraying, covering two of the dogs running past. They skidded to a halt, then turned the other way, barreling into Ae-ri and shoving her into the pool in the shallower end. She went under and came back up, mascara streaming down her face, looking more unkempt than Taehyung had ever seen her.

"Somebody get those dogs!"

A man in a khaki uniform stood in the open gate, his mouth hanging open as he took in the destruction of the back yard. "Did someone call animal control?"

Ae-ri climbed up the steps at the entrance to the pool, though part of her hair stayed floating in the water behind her.

"Taehyung." Jungkook knelt next to him. "Are you okay?"

He looked up at him. "I think your mother just lost something."

Jungkook grinned, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "I've suspected for years that she wore a head piece. This disaster was worth the proof."

Tae couldn't help but laugh.

"The ladder's over there. We better get out of here while we can."

"What are you talking about?" he asked, swimming to the ladder on the other side. Jungkook picked up his shoes and walked around the edge of the pool, meeting him as he climbed out.

"I mean, Knickers is about to go ballistic and we need to be as far away from Ground Zero as possible. Trust me. I know this from first-hand experience."

"I thought she was already there."

"You're cute." Jungkook grabbed his hand, his fingers curling around Tae's. "Let's run upstairs and get you changed first."

"What about Jin?" he asked, looking for his brother.

"I think Hobi-hyung has him covered."

Jungkook swung wide of his mother, who was giving the animal control officer an earful. They snuck in the back door and headed for the stairs, leaving a trail of water from Taehyung's dripping clothes. "We have to hurry and leave before she notices we're gone or we'll be stuck."

"Okay." Jungkook pushed Tae into the room and shut the door, standing back as Tae rummaged in his bag and pulled out a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt. He went into the bathroom to change.

"We don't have a car," Tae said through the door, unbuttoning his top button and tugging his wet shirt over his head. "How are we going to leave?"

"My dad kept my old Explorer. I'm going to sneak down to the kitchen. Come downstairs to meet me when you're done. But whatever you do, don't let Knickers see you."

"Okay." His jeans stuck to his skin and he struggled to get them off. His cell phone was in his pocket and he tried to turn it on, not surprised to find it dead. He considered leaving his soaking-wet wallet, but worried someone would find it and discover his real identity. Taehyung kept it in his hand as he crept down the stairs, making sure Jungkook's mother was nowhere to be seen.

Jungkook stood in the open doorway to the garage, motioning him for to follow. He skirted around the two cars and out a side door, Taehyung close on his heels. A dark blue Ford Explorer was parked on the gravel next to the house. "This was your car? Why didn't I notice it before?"

"It was a hand-me-down from my dad. When you're sixteen you'll take whatever you can get." He pointed to a tarp next to the house, shooting him a grin. "Mother won't let it in the garage and Father can't stand the thought of leaving it to the elements. He keeps it covered." Jungkook opened the driver's door. "Get in."

Taehyung climbed into the passenger seat, setting his damp wallet on the console. "How are you going to get out? There are cars parked in the driveway."

Jungkook grinned, the Cheshire cat grin that told him he was up to no good. "Desperate times, Tae. Desperate times." Shoving the car into reverse, Jungkook put his hand on the back of Tae's seat and looked over his shoulder. "Knickers is going to have a fit over her lawn." He backed up, driving through the grass, then angling the Explorer over the bottom half of the driveway and into the street.

Taehyung shook his head. "Good job." He laughed as he looked back at the yard. "And you're right. Your mother is going to have a fit over those tire ruts as soon as she finishes having a fit about the backyard."

"All the more reason to never come back." Jungkook rolled his window down and turned up the radio, driving through town and out into the farmland surrounding Busan. Jungkook's hair blew around his face, and he looked almost as peaceful as he did when sleeping.

"Do you have a destination in mind?"

Jungkook leaned his head toward him, grinning. "Yes, and you'll love it."

Taehyung leaned back in his seat, watching him. "I trust you."

His face turned serious. "Thank you."

Jungkook made several turns and then he was on a back road, driving by a small lake. Tae almost asked him where they were going, but he'd told Jungkook he trusted him. He could ask her about it after they got there.

He drove for several more minutes, then turned down a gravel road and parked. "This is it."

Taehyung opened the door and realized they were at an empty campsite. The crickets and cicadas filled the night with their loud calls and while it wasn't too hot, the temperature felt several degrees cooler here.

Jungkook got out and went to the back of the car, lifting the hatch. "My father used to take Jimin and me camping here when we were kids. Knickers didn't go, of course."

"Are we camping?" he asked, in surprise.

"I don't know yet," he answered, handing Tae a small cooler, then grabbing a stack of blankets. 

"Let's decide that as we go."

For once, Taehyung was happy to not have a plan.

-----

A/N: i had a blast wrecking the party-- get ready for even better vkook moments~ and sorry for all the updates i keep finding mistakes whoops

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 36.6K 17
Taehyung and Jungkook have been friends since elementary. They're always together, but when Jungkook starts hanging around new friends, Taehyung feel...
132K 5K 34
Min Yoongi convinced his secretary to be his fiance because of some reason. They acted. But what if their acting became the reason that a feeling tow...
267K 11K 48
Min Yoongi and Jung Hoseok are typical celebrity couple everyone talks about. A cold CEO and a charming model complete each other perfectly. Or that...
12.4K 585 32
Marrying a prince is a dream come true. Taehyung's dream come true. Getting to live a life of luxury, with people doing everything for you. That's wh...