Going Unnoticed || Cedric Dig...

Від foreversmaug

{completed - UNDER EDITING} ❝It's sad that many people won't get to realise this❞ She was going unnoticed, qu... Більше

ϟ Introduction & Credits
Chapter One - The Triwizard Tournament
Chapter Three - The New Students
Chapter Four - Age Lines, Blushing and Beards
Chapter Five - The Four Champions
Chapter Six - Dragons
Chapter Seven - The First Task
Chapter Eight - Raining Dresses
Chapter Nine - As Friends
Chapter Ten - The Yule Ball
Chapter Eleven - Where Our Voices Sound
Chapter Twelve - The Second Task
Chapter Thirteen - Cedric Diggory, The First
Chapter Fourteen - The Maze
Chapter Fifteen - The Third Task
ϟ Epilogue
- SEQUEL -
EDITING | | 22nd March 2015

Chapter Two - Unforgivable Curses

55.6K 1.4K 1.9K
Від foreversmaug

Chapter Two - Unforgivable Curses [EDITED]

I woke up and got dressed, pulling my pleated black skirt and tights on, before putting my shirt, tie and jumper on. I then put my Ravenclaw robes on and slipped on my black school flats and picked up my black rucksack. I put my curly brown hair into a high ponytail, then I let my owl out of my window one last time for the day, before I slung my rucksack over one shoulder and left the dormitory.

I made my way quite quickly to the Great Hall for breakfast and seated myself on the Ravenclaw table in my usual spot. Timetables were currently being given out. I took one for myself, a Ravenclaw sixth year, and looked at it while munching on my toast. I had Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs first thing, then Defence Against the Dark Arts with the Hufflepuffs again. I liked the Hufflepuffs, they were kind and got on with their work and weren't usually disruptive. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw worked well together with intelligence and kindness, knowledge and loyalty thriving being the key things for friendship and working well. I took my book out, The Standard Book of Spells: Grade 6, and started reading it, trying to learn a new charm for making something hover for longer than usual.

I picked up another slice of toast and started nibbling on it, while reciting the charm, when the doors opened again. More students were walking through, talking happily to their friends and looking forward to a good breakfast. I looked up, like a disgruntled owl, then heard that laugh, which was the laugh which always made me feel ever so slightly weak in the knees because of its sheer happiness.

Cedric Diggory walked in with his friends, laughing at something one of them said. I quickly ducked behind my book, not wanting to be seen by any one of them. I didn't want to draw any attention to myself, I didn't like attention. I was too used to being in the 'shadow' that the spotlight seemed like something far too dangerous. Making eye contact had always been hard and awkward for me, and even though it wasn't likely I was going to make eye contact with Cedric, I didn't want to risk it.

I finished off my slice of toast before I quickly got out of my seat, slung my bag over one shoulder and, clutching my book to my chest, scurried out of the hall as quickly as I could. More people were filing into the hall, so I blended in quite well as I edged my way slowly through the mass of students and out into the corridor. Taking a deep breath, I started walking to my transfiguration room. I waited outside the classroom, reading my book, for a little while. Eventually the bell rang and the sound of hundreds of footsteps and talking mouths filled the corridors as the students rushed to get to their lessons.

"The Standard Book of Spells: Grade 6, huh? Neat. And goodness you got here early." A soft voice said from beside me, taking me by surprise. I looked up to see Cedric Diggory looking over my shoulder at my book, his eyes scanning the pages. I had to force a squeal of shock down and struggled to form words, flinching back away from him slightly. Why would he, of all the people in this school, be talking to me? It was most likely because we were alone in this corridor.

"I-I like being early." I stuttered, managing an awkward smile. How did he mange to make his caramel brown hair so wavy and yet so neat? I'm pretty sure that defeats all laws of physics. Cedric smiled at how awkward I was around him, even though it wasn't just him who I was awkward around, I was awkward around anyone I hadn't gotten to know yet, so he shouldn't be considering himself special or something, even though he wasn't.

"You're Caitlyn, with a 'y', right?" He asked, straightening himself up and looking at me, curiously. I nodded, causing him to smile a small smile. He leaned a little bit further away from me, "You're quite shy, huh? I've noticed that you don't sit with people unless the teacher asks and stuff like that. I'm really sorry for being invasive just there. I was curious to see what you were reading." He then said. Was he giving me a sympathetic look? I nodded, blushing slightly.

"It's...it's okay." I replied, slightly sheepish.

"That's all right, though. I guess some people can be quite irritating when you're trying to work, especially if you're nervous around them. It's best to just get on with your studies and do well in your exams...hey, you got the best scores in all your OWLs last year, came top of all the fifth, now, sixth years, didn't you? Yeah, you did! I have to say, those scores were slightly scary. How did you do it?" He then asked me, genuinely interested. A few Gryffindor girls who walked past shot me jealous looks when they saw that Cedric Diggory was talking to me. I clutched my book tighter to me, slightly self conscious. Luckily, Cedric didn't notice. I was only beginning to notice the corridor was getting busier by the second.

"Um. Well, studying helps," I said, awkwardly, quietly. Cedric smiled as I gasped, "B-but you studied a lot right? I mean, you came a very close second, er, sorry, that was really mean. You got really good scores didn't you? I-I'm going to stop talking now." The floor instantly became a thousand times more interesting. Cedric chuckled lightly.

"Don't fret. I pressured you. I'm sorry." The bell rang a second time and students began to file into the Transfiguration classroom. One of Cedric's friends punched him lightly on the arm, "Er, okay, I'll see you around." Cedric then said before following his friend into the classroom.

"Okay." I whispered to no one as I walked through the door and took a seat at the back of the classroom. I got out my parchment and quill and put my wand on the table. I loved my wand, it was blackthorn wood with patterns carved into the handle. It was ten inches and had a single hair from the mane of a Kelpie as its core, meaning it quite good and well suited for all spells. It was also classed as a 'swishy' wand. I loved my wand—it really was my pride and joy. Ollivander said it was one of the only wands of his that included a hair from the mane of a Kelpie, and that it would do me good. And it had.

Professor McGonagall looked at us from the front of the classroom. She tapped her wand on her desk, signalling for us to be quiet.

"Silence please. Thank you. Now, today we are going to learn about Nonverbal spells. You will also be looking at Nonverbal spells in Defence Against the Dark Arts. It is important to learn Nonverbal spells because...are you getting this down?" McGonagall then demanded, causing almost everyone to rush around to fetch their quills and parchment. I smiled to myself, my quill was already at the ready and notes were already written down onto my parchment.

After Professor McGonagall had explained what a Nonverbal spell was and why we were to use it, she gave us each a pillow, that we had to turn into a pincushion without saying anything. I have to say, it was a very pleasant lesson. The only words seemed to come out of the mouths of the students who were either cursing or asking hushed questions. Apart from that, total silence. It was my type of lesson, and I revelled in it.

Before I knew it, the bell had rung and McGonagall had dismissed us with no homework, which was slightly strange, seeing as it was our sixth year and it was McGonagall teaching. It was probably because this was our first lesson back and we had just had our OWL examinations. There was no doubt that next lesson we were going to be set a really huge piece of homework to make up for the possible homework set this lesson.

Now, second lesson, the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff sixth years had Defence Against the Dark Arts with Professor Moody. I felt slightly scared as I made my way to the classroom. He may have been a great Auror, but I wasn't sure if he would be a good teacher. No matter how scared I was, I would still have to get on with the lessons and keep my levels up to standard.

The second bell rung and we were allowed into the classroom. As usual, I took a seat at the back, but to my surprise, I was joined by someone else. I could feel someone's presence next to me. Confused, I looked up to see who it was, only to be looking at Cedric Diggory who was sitting in the chair next to me, rummaging through his bag to get his quill and parchment. I stared at him, dumbfounded. He turned around and caught me staring, smiling widely.

"Hello, Caitlyn-with-a-y." He said to me, smiling. I blinked, causing him to chuckle, "Surely you haven't forgotten me already." He said, happily.

"N-no." I stuttered, still taken aback. Some of the girls in the classroom were staring at me, their expressions either confusion, hate or disgust. Some of them all three. I shook it off and looked to the front of the classroom, twisting my quill in my hand. I just wanted Professor Moody to walk into the classroom and start the lesson, so he could save me from the girls and prevent me from talking.

"I just wanted to sit with you, to prevent you from being lonely for one lesson...I mean, if that's okay with you. I know you get nervous and stuff. I can move if you want." Cedric said to me, readying himself to move. I didn't know what to say; he had only just met me after all. Even though I felt odd, I was still grateful for the company. I just smiled weakly back, patting the space of desk next to me, before I looked to the front of the class, where I heard a clunk noise every other second. I could see out of the corner of my eye Cedric was grinning to himself. I tried not to concentrate on this fact as Moody came into view, limping towards the teacher's desk. I got out my book and set it on the table, eager to do some reading and slight experiments with new spells.

"I'm Professor Moody." He snarled at us, his voice a scratchy growl, "And you won't need your books, nor your quills. Wands out, please." Moody snapped. My face fell as I put my book back in my rucksack, begrudgingly. I took my wand out from my pocket and set it down on the table in front of me. "Now. Curses." He growled. I had to hold in a gulp, we had never really covered curses, just theory and dangerous animals and so on.

Moody eyed us all with both of his eyes and then walked over to the blackboard, holding the chalk in his hand.

"According to the Ministry, I'm supposed to teach you just the counter curses and possibly show you what these curses can do, but I disagree!" Moody snarled, pointing the chalk threateningly at us, "I want you to see what these curses do! You need to know what you're up against! You are sixteen and seventeen eyes old, meaning I can show you these curses legally. And I say that is good! After all, you do need to know."

Moody was shouting with such emotion, whether forced or genuine I had no idea, that I thought he was going to end up going into some sort of fit. He had cracked the piece of chalk with his fingers, and he looked slightly maddened. He then stepped towards the teacher's desk and lent on it, looking around at us.

"Do any of you know," He whispered loudly enough for just about everyone to hear, "Which curses are the most heavily punished by wizarding law?" Some people raised their hands, including Cedric and I. Moody then looked directly at me with both of his eyes. I gulped. "Name?" He demanded.

"R-Rosewood, Caitlyn Rosewood." I muttered. Moody seemed to smirk as he heard my last name, because 'Rosewood' was actually a type of wood wands could be made out of.  He then straightened himself up and threw me a nasty smile.

"Name one." He said. I took a deep breath before answering.

"The...The I-Imperius Curse." I muttered, stuttering awfully, but Moody seemed to hear what I had said. In fact, he smiled widely, as if earing the name pleased him in some way.

"Yes!" He roared, "The Imperius Curse! The Ministry had quite a few problems with this one a few years ago. Horrible, and hard to face, but I'll be showing you anyway." He reached into a jar and pulled out one of three spiders. It was black and quite big, its long legs thin and spindally, its body ugly. I shuddered. I wasn't scared of it, not in the slightest, but it just wasn't the nicest of creatures in the world. Moody pointed his wand at the spider. "Imperio!" Moody shouted. I gripped the edge of my chair as Moody flicked his wand upwards and the spider stood. Moody then made the spider walk about on the desk and do a few flips, completely against its will. I gulped.

Everyone remained silent as Moody made the spider do things against its own will, the spider now out of control of its own body and brain. I bit my lower lip as Moody finally ceased to control the spider, removing his wand and picking the spider up and placing it back in the jar with its two fellow spiders. Moody then continued to talk to the class loudly and enthusiastically, as if he hadn't just invaded the brain of an innocent creature.

 "I could have made that spider do anything—throw itself out the window, drown itself, anything. That curse causes you to take control, make the victim do anything as you please. Years back, many witches and wizards were put under this curse and controlled. It can be fought, and I will teach you how! But beware, it is very difficult and often painful." Moody said darkly, giving us all another good look, "Now, the second curse please, Miss Rosewood!" He then barked at me. I almost toppled off my seat with shock, but I prevented myself from doing so.

"The C-Cruciatus C-Curse." I stammered, blushing slightly as I stuttered. Moody smiled evilly once more. I didn't quite like the look of this smile, it looked too nasty, too evil.

"Very good. Now, the Cruciatus Curse. Nasty one, this one." Moody said to the class as he reached into the jar and pulled out the second spider, who presumably knew what was coming, seeing as it was frozen stiff out of fear. I suddenly felt pity for this spider as it tried to scurry away from Moody as he pointed his wand at it, "Needs to be a little bit bigger—Engorgio. There, perfect. Now, watch closely at what I am about to do."

Moody pointed his wand at the spider and muttered, 'Crucio'. What came next was truly disturbing. A few people gasped as the spider started to twitch and writhe around, evidently in pain. I gipped the edges of my chair so hard, I could tell my knuckles had gone completely white. I knew that if that poor spider had a voice, it would be screaming in pain and shouting for help. It was awful. Cedric had stiffened from beside me, as if frozen to his chair. The spider's pain went on for longer than it needed to, but at last, Moody lowered his wand and the spider collapsed. It wasn't dead, but only just.

"Reducio." Moody muttered, and the spider shrunk back to its normal size. Moody then carefully picked it up and put it back with the other spiders. "This was a very popular curse back in the day. A very painful curse, hard to block. It's all about pain, this curse. Now, Miss Rosewood, may you tell us the next and last curse?" I looked up at Moody and took a deep breath.

"The..." I drifted off, before averting my eyes from his, "The Killing Curse." I muttered, surprisingly without stuttering, but my voice was still quiet and scared. Moody smiled viciously, grotesquely.

"Yes. Do you know what the enchantment is for this said Killing Curse?" Moody then asked, his voice filled with amusement and just pure evil. I gulped. "Come on, Miss Rosewood. I think you know."

"Avada Kedavra." I muttered quietly, so quietly I think only Cedric could hear. I heard his breath catch in his throat as I whispered the name. I stared at my desk, scared and somewhat ashamed, even.

"What was that?" Moody then asked again, cruelly.

"Avada K-Kedavra." I said, much louder, still looking at my desk, as if expecting it to do something interesting. I could practically hear Moody's smirk.

"Very good Miss Rosewood, ten points to Ravenclaw." Moody said, "This is the last and worst curse of them all. No counter curse, only one known survivor." Moody then pulled out the last spider, who was wriggling everywhere, writhing in fear. I couldn't blame it, its lifespan was about to be cut short. Moody placed the spider on his desk, raised his wand and as I closed my eyes, roared 'Avada Kedavra!'

Even through my eyelids I coul the flash of green light which illuminated the room and I opened my eyes with the shock of it. Instantly, the spider rolled over, its legs curled up beneath it. It lay there, quite still. I gasped and pushed my chair backwards, not wanting to believe that Moody had done it, let alone showed us. The spider lay there, not moving. Most people stared at the creature.

It was dead.

Very dead.

"No counter curse." Moody said to us, sweeping the dead spider aside and onto the floor, "Now, if there is no counter curse, then why am I showing you? Because you need to know! You need to see for yourselves what you could be up against! Constant viligance!" He bellowed, banging his fist hard on the table, causing many students to jump, including me. Everyone seemed a bit more twitchy then before, no wonder, they had just witnessed a curse that had killed many innocent people. A curse used by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named himself.

For the rest of the lesson, we sat through Moody talking about each of the curses and what sort of situation you might be in when you are attacked with one. It was interesting, awful, but interesting none the less. After a little while, the bell rung and Moody dismissed us. Everybody packed away quickly, eager to get to break and as far away from Moody as possible.

As soon as we had left the classroom, a cacophony broke out amongst the students. Cedric had wandered off to join his friends, leaving me alone. He wouldn't have stayed with me at break, anyway. Why would he when he had actual friends?

With the words 'Avada Kedavra' ringing around in my head, I walked in the direction of the library, hoping I could find a good book to distract me from the horrors I had just witnessed and the image of the green light and dead spider printed on the back of my eyelids.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

303K 7.1K 29
they said potions were just not her thing, but alexandrina reddins seemed to do the impossible. becoming friends with cedric diggory after he left he...
664K 18.7K 60
The tale of a Gryffindor prankster vs. a Hufflepuff prefect. All Rights Reserved. Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling with the exception of my OC's. [...
214 3 19
People are talking about what seems to be the only thing people talk about these days. The tragic death of Harry Potter, last year at the end of the...
123K 4.2K 17
❝ Looks like pretty boy Diggory is head over heels. ❞ ━━ 𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟬 - 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟭✨ (GOBLET OF FIRE - DEATHLY HALLOWS) ...