Chapter Nine - As Friends

Chapter Nine - As Friends [UNDER EDITING]

It seemed as if the entire school knew about the Yule Ball already, and it had only been a couple of days. It was the talk of the school, besides the dragons of course. Cho kept looming over me at the prospect of Ball dates, and I supposed there was a possibility that we would get asked. Cho was good at Quidditch and was clever, her face beautiful and her mind sharp. A problem for me was that I was exceptionally shy around people I hadn't managed to get to know, so that could have stood in my way. The girls of fourth year and above walked around in groups so they could see each other get dates, reminding me very much of flamingos. I simply walked around with Cho, on occasion sitting with Fleur, but no one came up to me and asked me. It had only been two days, but Fleur had managed to be asked several times already. Perks of being part Veela.

Working with Cedric was becoming increasingly difficult; girls hung around in small groups and fawned over him, giggling. Not that I opposed to the idea, he was a handsome and popular student anyway, but I wanted to get on with the task. To get Cedric alone was getting harder and harder by the day. So I was really grateful for what time we did manage to get without girls talking about us from behind the bookcase. I was feeling pretty stressed out as I just couldn't crack the clue for the golden egg; I can't imagine how pressured and stressed Cedric must have felt. I didn't understand what to do.

Sitting in the library, Cedric and I were swatting furiously over another set of books. It was beginning to hurt my temples, and Cedric  wasn't concentrating as hard as he usually did.

"Calm down Caitlyn," He said as I slammed yet another book shut and lowered my head onto the desk, tired and exasperated, "We do have until February 24th. Take a break for a little while. We both need one." How could he just say that so calmly?

"A break? Cedric, in case you haven't noticed, we need to crack the clue and prepare for the task! We've got two big things to do and not enough time to do them in. Also, I simply refuse to having to spend my birthday watching you drown in the Black Lake, if that's okay." I said, harsher than I had meant. Cedric went silent. I looked up at him and gave him an apologetic look, "Oh no, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so pushy. Maybe you're right. We should have a break. Both of us." I then pushed all the books away from me and stretched out, "My head was hurting anyway." 

"That's a good idea." Cedric said, taking a relieved breath as he shut the book that lay open in front of him and stifled a huge yawn. He then proceeded to take his wand out and stack the books in a (more or less) neat pile. I twisted my quill between my fingers as Cedric sat, looking like he was deep in thought.

"Are you feeling all right?" I asked him as he stared off above me into the aisles of books behind me, not saying anything, "Cedric?" He snapped out of his daze and looked at me. He looked somewhat torn.

"I'm fine." He said, dully. I raised my eyebrows, "Honest!"

"I don't believe you. Tell me, you can trust me." I then said, leaning forwards slightly. Cedric hesitated, but eventually he sighed and looked up at me.

"Actually, I have a favour to ask you, if you don't mind." Cedric said. I tilted my head to the side, interested, "Er, you see, it's about the...the Yule Ball. I didn't know who to ask, and I didn't want to cause any, er, commotion you see and my mind was all like: 'What if she refuses to do the opening dance, what if I ask the wrong person, what if she is really boring and not fun at all...', and then I came to a decision. I thought I needed help deciding and then it was blatantly obvious, and well, I was wondering..." Cedric trailed off, clearing his throat quietly. He whispered something under his breath.

"I don't understand. Do you want me to ask someone? Send a note?" I said, furrowing my eyebrows. I could also feel my heart sink inside my chest. But my mind suddenly snapped back into something more logical; I was going to be happy for this girl and I was not going to be jealous when I saw them dancing together. Or, I was going to try and not get too jealous.