Desired {Watty Awards 2012}

By BrokenWingAngel

The storm brought them here. The people were different. The water stretched on for miles. The Island they nev... More

Chapter 1 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 2 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 4 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 5 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 6 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 7 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 8 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 9 (Edited and Finished)
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 3 (Edited and Finished)

2.8K 31 13
By BrokenWingAngel

Chapter 3

Alexis woke to find herself alone in the tent still wrapped in the warm blanket that her and Drew had shared the night before. This meant that Drew must have already woken up and ventured outside, she sat up and stretched while running her fingers through her messy hair. Alexis then removed the blanket, climbed to her knees and unzipped the tent; as she did this the aroma of breakfast hit her in the face. She could smell brewed coffee, eggs, and bacon, campfire style and it smelled amazing!

"Well good morning sleepy head." Lynn said with a smile as he was merely inches from her face.

Lexi laughed. "Guess I'm the only one who slept in this morning huh?"

She climbed out of the tent and stretched her body again as she tried to let her eyes adjust to the bright sunlight that was midway up into the sky. Drew was drinking his second cup of coffee. But after noticing she was awake he set his down and made her a cup really quickly.

"How did you sleep?" He asked as he came over to her and handed her the cup.

She took it and allowed the heat to warm her hands.

"Once I got to sleep, I slept well, it didn't take me long after I closed my eyes and got warm." She smiled. "I feel much better this morning."

He smiled in response. "I'm glad to hear that."

He leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss on the lips. "Let's get some breakfast so we can do much site seeing. Ethan says that there is so much he wants us to see today." He said before pulling away.

She took a drink of her coffee and smiled. "Can't wait"

She really did want to see what other places were on the Island and she tried her best to push the worries out of her mind. At least until her and Drew got to really sit down and talk away from the others. She glanced over at Kyle who was awake and yet looked as if he had not slept at all. He was sitting on the log facing the water drinking a cup of coffee, once again seeming to mind his own business. Faith was pulling her blonde hair into a pony tail and began to prepare the plates for breakfast. As she made them Lynn began to hand them out.

"I know it’s not much guys, but hey it’s better than nothing right." She said with a smile.

"It’s great Lynn." Lexi replied. "I'm so thankful that you’re helping us out; please let us know if you need anything."

Lynn shook her head with a smile. "Don't worry about it sweetie. This is the way we are; we are all friends, more like family sometimes."

Drew came up behind her and threw his arm around her shoulders playfully. "Yeah I can call you my little sister now, right Lynn?" He laughed as she giggled and pulled away.

"That's all she better be to you." Brad said playfully as he came up the beach.

Ethan was walking beside him. Lynn shot Brad a look of sarcasm. He just laughed.

"Of course I was kidding with him Lynn." he said.

Alexis glanced up the beach as she saw another person approaching them. As he got closer you could see that he was a much older man. He had crow’s feet around the corners of his eyes and a greyish coloured beard. He had a pipe in his mouth and wore a long trench like jacket over a pair of dark blue slacks.

"Don't you kids’ be causing trouble down here, and stay away from the lighthouse." he motioned up the beach.

Ethan spoke up. "Don't you worry old man; you just get to your light tower."

The man motioned with his hand that they were all a bother and kept on walking down the beach.

"There is a lighthouse?" Drew asked as he watched the man continue walking.

"Yeah just down the beach over that way by the cove. You can see it better when you get around that bend." Faith said as she pointed to where she was talking about.

"We should check that out." Drew said as his eyes lit up with anticipation.

"That's not such a good idea man." Brad said as he stepped closer to Drew.

"Why not?" Drew asked as he looked back to Brad.

"That old man, he don't play games, I hear he has a gun up there with him in the light tower. Says it helps ward off the ghosts when the fog rolls in. That man isn't all there I swear." Brad replied.

"Wow, crazy." Drew replied, only to stare after the man once more, he was almost out of distance down the beach.

They ate their breakfast in silence and soon after threw their paper plates in the fire pit.

Alexis looked to Drew. "I need to go to the boat before anything. I have to get my clothes and my flip flops."

He nodded. "Yeah I have a few things I need to get out of there as well and I guess we better take a look at her and see how much damage was done.

Kyle glanced up at them. "While you guys do that I'm gonna head into town. I've got a few things that I need to get done. "I'll meet up with you guys later on alright?"

Ethan nodded. "Alright man, see you in a bit."

He looked to Lexi once more. Giving her a look of concern before he pulled his gaze away and after putting the hood up on his head again he began to walk away from the beach. Lexi stared after him, seeming to be the only one who noticed the stare he gave her.

She went and sat down pulling on her shoes. While the others got ready. Lynn came up to her first and sat down beside her.

"I really hope that you’re feeling better today. After the episode last night, I mean yesterday was all crazy in itself with all the events that took place. I can understand why you finally needed a good cry."

Alexis nodded in agreement. "Yeah it’s been a whole lot to take in and it’s even harder being so far away from home and only having Drew to turn to right now. It’s just very overwhelming." She sighed deeply.

"But I cannot thank you enough, you and all of the others for being so nice and for doing so much for us."

Lynn smiled and patted the top of her hand. "That's what friends are for Lexi."

Drew and Brad soon joined them, as they approached Lynn and Alexis both stood as they waited for Ethan and Faith to join them. Faith brought with her a hair tie so that Lexi could pull her hair up out of her face since the sun was getting higher and the beach sand was getting hotter.

"Radio says it’s supposed to get to the mid eighties today. Gonna be quite warm. Thought this would help since you got to climb into that wreckage and all."

Lexi forced a smile and took the hair tie pulling her hair up into a quick messy bun. Ethan joined them as he finished tugging his shirt down over his head.

"We ready?" He asked as she tucked the shirt into his Khaki shorts.

Drew took Lexi by the hand and behind them Ethan, Faith, Brad and Lynn followed. They only had to go a quarter of a mile down the beach until they reached the boat wreckage. Lexi was small enough to climb back inside and gather the belongings that she could find. She threw out a couple bags of clothes. She then dug around and found a couple pairs of their flips flops, a pair of sunglasses and the rest was ruined. It had been damaged by the water that seeped inside the cabin of the boat.

"There is a lot more than I thought." She said happily.

She climbed back out of the boat and onto the sand with Drew's help.

"I'm glad that not everything was ruined." Drew said as he grabbed his bag and started digging through it to see what he could find.

Lexi did the same but only dug around for a pair of short jean shorts and a white tank top. She stepped behind the boats form and changed quickly. Emerging from behind the boat she smiled.

"I feel much better." she said as she handed Faith the clothes that she had allowed her to borrow.

"Thanks for the clothes, I'm just glad to have my own things. I hope you understand."

Faith nodded.

"Of course, I'm glad that I had something to fit you, it would have been harder for you to come down here and try to get the things out of there last night. I'm sure it’s pretty dark in there right now isn't it?" she asked.

"Yeah, it is actually quite dark in there." Lexi replied as she glanced back at the whole where she had climbed through.

Drew had wandered off and changed into a pair of green khaki shorts and a muscle shirt. He then adjusted his baseball cap and put on his sun glasses. Once finished he joined the others, seeming satisfied.

"Alright, time to see the town." He said as he smiled and slipped on his flip flops.

Ethan nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

Alexis slipped her feet into her flip flops as well. Her and Drew followed along behind Brad and Lynn as they also tagged along behind Ethan and Faith. They went towards a different opening that led into the town.

Upon reaching the cobblestone road Ethan pointed out the lighthouse that sat on the hill that looking over the water from around the bend from where they were. It stood out a mast guiding the fisherman and the boats that were out on the sea. It looked freshly painted and well kept, but gave off an eerie feeling as it stood apart from the rest of the town. Of course this really made Drew eager to see it.

"I will get a closer look at you later." He said in awe his voice barely audible to anyone else; of course Lexi heard exactly what he said.

She glanced up at the looming structure and then looked back towards the others as they headed towards town.

They passed by all the cottages once again, this time giving them a better look as they walked by. They were decorated beautifully, but they all seemed as if they had been abandoned. Alexis shook it off as if maybe no one was there at the time, that maybe the owners were working. Passing by the last place she swore she saw the curtain move and somebody’s shadow trying to get out of the way of their gaze as they walked by. The rest of the group seemed un-alarmed by the fact that the cottages gave off an abandoned vibe. They just continued walking.

Leading them to the post office, Lynn walked over and gave her best presentation while trying not to laugh. She looked like one of those hand models showing off a display. She was giggling the whole time.

"This here is the post office. It has many luxurious post office boxes and a mail counter where you can purchase envelopes and stamps and yes, even send letters out." She said it with enthusiasm as if trying to sell the place.

Alexis smirked and Drew began to laugh.

"Bravo! Bravo!" He said while clapping his hands.

"You can send a letter out, right from here?" Lexi asked.

Ethan glanced at her. He was leaning against the flag pole that sat in the centre of the yard.

"Yeah but not today, and mail only travels out once a week. We have to wait for the boat to come in that goes to the main land."

Faith spoke up as she walked up to the door and tugged it open. "Did you want to send something?" 

"Yeah I would love to send a letter, one to my mom and dad. I'm sure they are so worried about me."

She walked up with Faith and disappeared into the post office. Drew, Brad, Ethan, and Lynn stayed behind. Alexis was shaking as the piece of paper and the pen was placed in front of her. She looked to Faith; she gave her a smile of encouragement and then began to look at her nails. She then pulled a compact from her pocket and began to look over her makeup and hair as best she could in the little mirror. Lexi glanced back down at the paper and took the pen in her hand. After tapping it a few times on the counter she began to write:

Dear Mom & Dad,

I know that you must be so worried about me. I left one day on the boat with Drew and had plans to be back before the sun set. There was an awful storm, we couldn't control the boat and it tossed us out into the sea. I wanted to let you know that Drew and I are alright. We have arrived here on this Island. But we are being well taken care of, we have met a lot of nice friends and we are trying to get the boat fixed as soon as we can so I can come home to you. I love you and miss you so very much.

                                                                                                             xoxo Love always Alexis

She folded it and gently placed it in the envelope. She licked it sealed and then placed a kiss on the outside of the envelope. She then addressed it and since she didn’t know the address to where she was she left it at that. Attaching the stamp she handed the letter to the lady that was behind the desk and smiled letting out a deep breath.

"I cannot thank you enough for getting this send for me." She said.

The lady behind the counter smiled. "That's my job dear, I will happy to get the letter sent out as soon as I can."

Faith closed her compact after powdering her nose once more and then looked back to Lexi with a smile.

"All set?" she asked as she shoved the compact back into her pocket.

Lexi smiled and nodded in satisfaction. 'Yup, I can't wait to see more of the Island."

Ethan had his arms crossed and seemed to be getting tired of waiting.

Drew looked him over. "Sorry about Lexi, I'm sure she wanted so badly to send a letter to her parents. She was really close to them, even though her mother was so strict about most things, like her and I being together for instance." he rolled his eyes and allowed his facial features to show his disgust.

"Her father, he is something as well, a top shot factory worker that seems to think that just because he makes a lot of money that his daughter is too good to be together with someone like me."

"I hear ya man, I had the same problem with Lynn's father, but he couldn't do anything anymore when she moved into the cottage with me. Her family left the Island a few months ago on their boat, they were making a trip to the mainland, but a violent storm came, just like the one you endured the other night. Her father lost site of the light house light in the fog and lost direction crashing against the rocks. They fell into the water as their boat broke into pieces and their bodies were never recovered." Brad said, though telling such a sad story of events he didn't seem saddened.

Drew just stared at him, unsure really what to say. He looked down letting the silence surround them for a few moments.

Lynn thankfully had wandered off and was looked at the flowers that were freshly planted along the side of the building before Brad told the story about her family. Ethan stood up as he heard the door to the post office open and he smiled greatly.

"Finally." he stated.

“I thought that you two were never gonna get done. I was wasting away out here.” He said with a laugh.

Lexi smiled. "I’m sorry; I really needed to send that letter out to my family. Now I feel so much better."

Drew came over and gave her a hug. He kissed her forehead. "I’m so glad that it helped you feel better, I hate to see you so worried, and I know with this letter sent to your folks that you know that they won't worry as much."

She nodded and laid her head against his chest for a moment taking in a deep breath.

Ethan glanced passed them to where Lynn stood still looking over all the beautiful flowers.

"Lynn, let’s go, they are finally ready."

Lynn looked up and nodded. She then reached down and picked a tulip before walking towards them. She offered it to Lexi as she got closer. Lexi pulled away from Drew and looked at her.

"Lynn, I can't believe you picked that flower, won't you get in trouble?" she asked.

"Not if we don't get caught." she said giggling. "So that means come on"

She handed Lexi the flower and then took off running. Ethan Brad and Faith followed them; Drew looked back at the post office just as a large man came out the door dressed in a security uniform.

"You kids get back here." He yelled as he started running towards Drew and Alexis.

Alexis let out a scream as Brad grabbed her hand and they took off running towards the same direction as the others. As they got farther away from the man Lexi started laughing.

Once they reached the other Lynn was doubled over with laughter.

"I thought I would get your adrenaline running a little bit."

 Lexi threw the flower at her. "That guy freaked me out, I’ve never ran so fast, to think I could have gotten arrested for stealing a tulip from the flower bed at the post office, I would have killed you Lynn."

 She was smiling and whilst trying to talk she was attempting to catch her breath.

Faith shook her head. "You really know how to welcome them to the Island, don't you Lynn." She said sarcastically." She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Come on Faith, you know that was funny." Lynn replied. 

Ethan shook his head and nodded towards the school that Drew and Lexi finally realized was directly behind them.

"Classes are out for the summer, but did you want to look around?" Brad looked at Ethan his eyes growing wide.

"Are you sure that’s a good Idea man?" he asked.

"Yeah. Why not?" Ethan replied.

"You know that Principal O'Conner is always there even when school is out, and you know he does not like us very much. I would rather not be in trouble for trespassing."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "He won't catch us, besides it’s not like we are gonna cause any damages. We are just showing our guests the town. We are the tour guides and they want to see the sites and I think that Grand View High is a great tour spot."

Drew looked at the looming building. "The building looks old school." he said noticing that the windows and bricks were still the old style, never having been updated.

"Yeah it is said to have been built in the 1940's" Faith said.

Ethan started towards the front doors. Faith and Lynn followed close behind but were whispering to one another things that only they could hear. Brad sighed and shook his head before feeling defeated and following along behind the girls. Drew and Lexi hurried to catch up to him. As Drew walked right past Brad and tried to catch up to Ethan, Lexi stayed behind and walked with Brad.

"I don't see what is so special about the school anyways, I am sure there is nothing interesting inside."Lexi said as she looked to Brad.

"He glanced back at her. Oh there is stuff inside that is interesting, but I just would rather not be caught."

She nodded in agreement. "Well maybe that O'Conner guy isn't around today, maybe we will be lucky and get in and out before anyone sees us."

She tried to convince herself with her own words now as she began to get nervous.

Drew finally caught up to Ethan just as they arrived at the entrance to the school. Ethan Climbed the stairs with Drew right behind him. They stepped inside revealing just like any other school rows and rows of lockers and classroom doors and a glossy tiled hallway. Ethan seemed to not want to really wait for the others and began to search the hallway walking past each classroom and peering into the windows. Not seeming satisfied with the first few he didn’t bother going on. But going onto the fourth room down the hall he pulled open the door and disappeared inside, leaving Drew alone in the hallway waiting for the others. The others finally entered the school. Lynn and Faith were giggling.  Alexis and Brad looked nervous. With every sound Brad jumped, his eyes scanning the halls as if he were afraid that Principal O'Conner was gonna come out of the shadows and catch them. Faith looked at Drew.

"Where is Ethan?" she asked as she realised that he was not with him.

He motioned down the hall and as he began to walk towards the room that Ethan disappeared into. The others followed. Lexi's heart was racing in her chest and Brad acted like every shadow was coming alive. Drew stopped outside the door. He reached for the handle to open it as he saw Ethan standing just inside, seeming not to notice or care that they were coming into the room. Drew looked around the room after stepping just inside and his mouth dropped slightly as he noticed at the specimen jars with body parts inside. Along the desk sat a jar with a hand, one with a head, one with eye balls, one with a heart and one with a kidney. The others entered, Lynn and Faith gasped and Lexi screamed at the site of the jars. She ran to Drew and buried her head into his chest not wanting to see anymore. Brad walked over to Ethan who stood by a long table covered with a sheet. He placed his hand on his shoulder as he still had seemed not to notice that they had walked in. As he touched his shoulder Ethan spun around, seeming startled. He dropped the sheet that he held in his hand and stepped back revealing that he was very pale, he looked as if he could pass out or throw up at any moment.

"Are you alright man?" Ethan asked as he looked him over, trying to figure out what was wrong.

He turned and with a trembling hand reached for the sheet. As he pulled it back he let out a cry and dropped it back into place. He brought his hand to his mouth and took a few steps back feeling sick to his stomach as well. Drew, Lexi, Faith and Lynn all looked up.

"What was that, Lynn asked in a trembling voice as she pointed to the sheet that covered what they had seen on the table.

'Kyle." Ethan mumbled. 

"What!?" Lynn cried.

Faith stepped up without thinking and pulled back the sheet and dropping it revealing to everyone his body. His mouth was wide open, his eyes were missing and his skin was a greyish colour revealing by that and his blue lips that he was indeed dead.

Alexis let out another scream of terror and ran from the room. Once into the hall she ran as fast as she could, to get outside, into the fresh air. After bursting through the door and to the outdoors she almost fell down the stairs, once to the grass she began to throw up, unable to contain the churning in her stomach anymore. Drew came outside and ran down the steps behind her.

"Lexi, are you alright?" He asked with deep concern.

He began to rub her back until she was able to stand, he then turned her around and pulled her into his arms letting her cry. Lynn and Faith soon came out crying softly as they held onto each other for support. Then Brad and Ethan finally emerged from the building as well.

"What the hell happened?" Brad said as he ran his fingers through his hair, he just left us a few hours ago." He said he would meet us in town, I never imagined this."

Ethan shook his head. "I don't understand it, this Island is so small. I mean there aren't many people that live here, and hardly any visitors. It's scary to think that there is a killer on the loose."

Alexis glanced up with tears staining her cheeks. "Shouldn't we go to the cops, I mean, we can't just leave him there, can we?" She was trembling in Drew’s arms.

She waited impatiently for Ethan’s reply.

"We can't go to the cops!" Brad said as looked from Alexis to Ethan. We will get in trouble for being in the school, and none the less they will blame one of us; maybe all of us for the murder."

Ethan nodded in reply. "Brads right, we can't tell the cops. He is already dead, if we tell the cops they will think one of us killed him. Besides principal O'Conner will find him and call the cops. It will be alright. Come on; let’s get out of here before we get caught by someone."

Ethan walked over to Faith and brought her close to him as they began to walk down the small hill of grass heading away from the school.

Alexis grabbed hold of Drew tightly and looked into his eyes. "I don't know how much more I can take of this. I don't know if I want to see anymore. Please, let’s get the boat fixed, I want to go home."

She buried her head into his chest once more and allowed him to lead her away from the school.

He glanced back and swallowed hard. "It will be alright Lexi. I'm here; we will figure this all out. I promise."

Brad and Lynn had overheard what Lexi said and Lynn felt bad for her, knowing that she was so far away from her parents and all these horrible things were happening right here in a place that she didn't know. It made her remember her parents and she bit her lip to holding back the tears. Realising that she would never be able to see them again, to give them a hug and feel safe like a child does with a parent, knowing that in truth Brad was all she had left. She wrapped her arms around Brad’s waist and let him slip his arm around her shoulders. He himself was so in shock. He really didn’t say much to her as he guided her away from the school as well, holding her ever so close to him.

They all met up at the park. Faith was sitting on a swing and Ethan sat on the end of the side, his head in his hands. Lexi refused to let go of Drew as they got closer to the others. He sighed softly and ran his hand over the back of her head. He then kissed the top of her head and looked behind them to see that Brad and Lynn had caught up to them finally. Brad looked to Lynn as he noticed Ethan sitting on the slide. She nodded and released him allowing him to go to Ethan. She slowly walked over to faith. Her eyes were focused on the wood chips that scattered the playground. She sat on the Swing next to faith and slowly raised her eyes to meet hers.

"Are you alright?" Faith asked as she noticed Lynn looking at her.

She had watched her every move as she made her way over to the swing set.

"Yeah I think so." Lynn said softly. "It’s just so disturbing, and I really don't know how to take it all in."

Faith nodded.  "I know, it’s so strange, I still can't put my finger on it. I mean who would do such a thing. I know that Kyle was not the best person to get along with, but I never thought that someone would do something so horrible to him."

Ethan glanced up as Brad approached him.

"I don't know what to think man. We grew up with that kid. We just talked yesterday about getting out of here, all of us, and travelling to the other Islands. He wanted me to talk to Drew and have them get the boat fixed with our help and we could add onto it, and make it big enough for all of us. It seemed to make him happy to talk about leaving the Island, and now this happened. I'm just in shock, I don't know what to think really." he said while shaking his head, truly his facial features showed that he was upset.

Brad shook his head. "I know man, something told me not to go into the school today. There was something other than Principal O'Conner that was trying to keep me away. It must have been the fact that Kyle was in that room.  I wish I would have stayed away, because the sight of him like that, I can't get the nightmare out of my head." 

 Lexi finally glanced up; she had kept her head buried in Drew chest for so long that the sun hurt her eyes. She squinted a few times. Her eyes stung from all the crying she had done and her cheeks were still damp from her tears in which she quickly wiped away. She walked over to the final swing that was available next to the other girls and sat down looking at her feet holding the chains tightly in her hands. Ethan got up and decided that he wanted to talk to Brad and Drew away from the girls. He didn't want their conversation to frighten them anymore than they already were.

"Brad. Drew. Let's go talk." He said.

Drew shoved his hands in his pockets and gave a glance to Lexi mouthing the words. "It’s alright."

Lynn and Faith were too busy talking amongst themselves. Drew then followed Ethan and Brad as they wandered towards the tree line that led to a path they went into the woods. Lexi turned on her swing to watch them as they disappeared. She was unsure of herself and was afraid of being without Drew by her side. Since he was the closest thing to home she had.

They seemed as if they were gone forever. Lynn and Faith then looked to Alexis.

"Why don't we go down to the corner store and grab something to drink. It’s getting quite hot out here as the sun is climbing higher in the sky. We can grab it and come right back, I can see in your eyes that you afraid to leave just in case Drew comes back." Faith said.

She nodded in reply-in agreement with Faith. "I am really thirsty." She said softly.

Still she found herself staring at the tree line where they had disappeared.

"I thought that they would be back by now though."

"You never know when it comes to Brad and Ethan, they always wander off and seem to lose track of time. I'm sure they will be back soon." Lynn said, trying to reassure her.

"Come on Lexi, it will make the time go by faster." Faith said as she stood.

Lynn followed and stood waiting as Faith walked over and offered Lexi her hand. Lexi took her hand and stood. She followed along as they walked together towards the corner store they spoke of. She glanced back periodically as they walked until she could not see the playground anymore.

Once reaching the store she still seemed distracted in thought until she heard Lynn and Faith Laughing. She glanced up at them.

"What’s so funny?" She asked.

"You" Lynn said. "You look like a lost puppy without Drew around, you can tell that you’re totally madly in love with him."

"Oh." Lexi said as she blushed. "I can't help it." she said softly. "When we are apart, it feels like a part of me is missing."

Both girls giggled some more and pushed her up the stairs and into the store. She too began to laugh once inside.

"Don't make fun of me." she said through her own laughter.

"It's like when we were kids right Lexi." Faith said playfully.

"Drew and Alexis sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage."

Lexi shoved faith playfully before walking over to the cooler that held drinks and pulled a glass bottle of coke from the container of ice. Lynn and Faith also grabbed one and they went up to the counter to purchase them.

"Three dollars." the young clerk boy said as he punched a few codes into the cash register. Each of the girls pulled a dollar from their pockets and layed the money on the counter.

"You know what?" Lynn said with a smile. "It’s kind of nice to have some girl time away from the guys."

Alexis and Faith agreed. They each grabbed their glass bottles and headed back out to the summer sun.

While walking the Lynn kept looking at Lexi:

"So, since we have a few miles of walking to do why don't you tell us about your life back home?"

Lexi opened her bottle of coke and took a drink and smiled as the memories seemed to flood her mind suddenly.

"Well I was born and raised there. I loved it, growing up by the water. I was an only child... Well I had a sister." Her voice trailed off momentarily “but she was born and died before me.” She drowned." the smile faded from her lips. "My parents believed they had a second chance with me being born. They were always so careful, never allowed me near the water alone. Always tried to protect me, it was hard, but in fact it made me and my parents very close." she took another drink of her coke before she continued."All through grade school I had only a few friends. Because of my parents being so strict with things that they felt I shouldn’t do, all the other children were able to, so they always called me names and picked on me, treating me like I was a baby. Honestly as I got older I really was angry with my parents for that because I felt dumb founded when I was old enough to finally do some of the things that my friends did and yet didn’t know what I was doing"

She soon began to smile again as she continued on with the story of her life.

"Once I reached high school I met Drew. My parents were cautious and claimed that he was a rebellious teen and that I should stay away from him. They didn’t much like him, but from the moment I layed my eyes on him I just knew, that no matter what my parents said or did it couldn't keep me away. I was in love with him. We snuck around seeing one another at school. Well he would meet up with me a few blocks from my house and we would walk to school together. Then after school he would walk me to the same spot. We would say our goodbyes and go our separate ways. Though, my parents didn't want us together and forbid me to see him. I wouldn't listen. Finally on the day he took out the boat I snuck away once more. I got on the boat with him, just for a day trip. And well.....the rest you know- Here we are on your island."She shrugged and looked from Faith to Lynn and smiled. "I want to be with Drew forever and I did everything I could to be with him. Even though it has left me so far away from home, I'm so happy to have him here with me."

Lynn smiled. "Sounds like you have had quite an experience growing up."

Her smile faded too once mentioning her deceased sister.

"It must have been so hard growing up living up to the standards of your parents after your sister passed away." She swallowed hard.

"I could never imagine having to go through that, and with all the pressure I am surprised that you could get close to them like that."

"My life growing up was so much different. My brother was in the Army. While he was over sea's it was just me and my parents, they raised me to be polite and educated but I was so close and so loved by my parents. Anything that I asked for that they could afford I got. I will admit now yes I was spoiled. Oh how I loved my parents. Until Brad came into my life, I realised what it was like to grow up and love someone, other than family. My parents and I started arguing over me being with him.  They just were afraid that he would take me away and never see me again. But when I assured them that he wouldn't they allowed him to come around but hardly ever trusted him with me. My brother Scott, we wrote back and forth often. I missed my brother and couldn't wait for him to return home from the war. But one day the letters stopped it had been weeks since I received one, which was not like him. I used to receive at least one letter every week. When the soldiers in uniform came to the door that morning, I came to the top of the stairs to see who was at the door when they told my parents the horrible news. My brother had died. He was shot and killed while in combat. My whole world spun out of control and fell apart. As my parents grieved I began to pull away, I was falling into a depression of my own. But Brad kept me going, he woke me from the nightmare that was controlling my life and he helped me learn how to live again. When he wanted to take me away from my parent’s house, I at first was unsure. But soon realised it was what I needed. My parents while not having my brother or I in the house anymore decided to leave the Island. I went to see them, to tell them goodbye. I kissed my mother and father and told them I loved them. I remember my mother’s tears as she waved goodbye and blew me a kiss after setting out on the water. The sunset was beautiful that night, but the storm rolled in quickly. And they found the pieces of their boat, but never found them. I know my parents are gone, and I have finally been able to except that. My brother is never coming home to me and that I have accepted as well. Brad is my family now."

Alexis looked at her feeling her heartbreaking words dig deep down to her soul. The poor girl had endured so much pain, and she was so close to her age. She bit her lower lip and stopped walking. Once Lynn and Faith stopped as well to stare at her she went to Lynn and hugged her tightly. She didn't saying anything and yet all her feeling of how sorry she was, was poured into the hug itself. Lynn hugged her back tightly, closing her eyes. Once pulling away she opened them and smiled at Lexi. "

Thank you so much." she said softly.

Lexi replied with a nod.

Faith stood apart from them, lowering her gaze she began to speak.

"I never had a real family growing up. I never knew my mother or my father. When I was born I guess my mother didn't want me. I was given up for adoption. I was passed from foster family to foster family. Hoping and praying that one day a family would want me. But they never did, there was always an excuse. I was not good enough for any of them when I was young. By the time I was finally adopted I didn't care anymore. I was fourteen. I had let my heart grow so cold."

She tried to hold back her tears and yet the sadness could be heard in her voice.

"Why didn't anyone want me, I thought I was a good child, I tried to be anyways. I followed all the rules. I did as I was told. I tried to use my manners. And just when I thought that the family was starting to like me they would pack my bags and the social worker would come for me and transfer me again. I just wanted to be loved by someone. But when I reached the age of ten I realised that no one wanted to love me."

She licked her parched lips as a few tears fell down her cheeks. She wiped them away quickly and looked up to them.

"By the time I was adopted I would rather lash out at them. I didn't mean to take it out on them but I was so mad. I was so hurt, because it took so long for a family to really want me as their daughter. All my life I was rejected. The best day of my life was when Ethan came to their house for me. He showed me what it was like to be wanted, in his own way. He broke through the wall I had built up around my heart. He made me see that I was not completely alone in this world. I couldn't be happier than the day I walked out of my adopted parent’s house, never to look back."

"This is the first time in all the time that I have known you, which has been about four years Faith that you have ever told me any of this." Lynn said as she took a step towards her.

Alexis watched them, being not sure what to say, wondering to herself why it took Faith four years to tell Lynn about her life.

"I didn't find that I had a reason to say anything. It’s hard to talk about. But I felt that because you and Lexi were so open on telling about your life that I should tell you both about mine."

Lynn took another step towards her and offered her a hug. "I’m glad you told us." she said softly.

Faith glared at her and held her hand up warning her to stay away as she shook her head. "Just don't ok." No hugs, No I'm sorry, I've accepted that it was my life's destiny and I understand that. I don't want a pity party. I don't want to even talk about it anymore. Besides we are back at the playground and look Ethan, Drew and Brad are back."

Lynn and Alexis stopped and looked up just seeing the men come into view. Faith took off running towards them leaving Lynn and Lexi standing there.

Lexi glanced at Lynn for a moment and without anymore words they started walking towards the others. The words of each of their lives stories still fresh in their minds.

"Where have you all been?" Drew yelled.

Lexi held up her coke. "I should ask you the same thing, you guys were gone for so long I needed a drink, we all did. We were thirsty and got board sitting here." She yelled back.

Faith threw herself in Ethan’s arms. He hugged her and kissed her gently on the lips.

"Are you alright?" He asked as he looked her over."

She nodded as she looked into his eyes and smiled. "I just missed you. You guys were gone for quite awhile." she said.

Finally Lynn and Lexi reached them. "What now?" she asked as she glanced around the play ground area and saw that the clouds were rolling in. A cool breeze started to pick up. Brad glanced at the clouds and swallowed hard.

"It looks like another storm is coming."

He looked to Ethan. "Looks like there is will no sleeping on the beach tonight."

Ethan nodded. The clouds were a dark gray and became very threatening quite quickly.

"It’s time for us to go." Lynn said nervously. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7M 252K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
209K 4.9K 34
*written in 2012 at 14* *Follow my new account for the new version of You Can't Cuddle With A Zombie titled: Back to Life @InTheClouds1020* "My boyf...
6.7K 270 19
Going on a school trip abroad can be described with many juxtaposing thoughts, but should never be linked to fatalities or injury. Juniper Pearl Foxx...
1.8K 561 30
⛅️Dreamers keep the boat sailing, but realist keep the boat afloat.⛅️ ⛅️D e r e k & A n g e l ( i n a ) ⛅️