The Myth Of Life

By mintlimejuice

"BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE ANOTHER PERSON!!!" I just can't." I whispered. __________ A man... More

Ch. 1: Where The Mind Is...
Ch.2: The Reason
Ch.3: A Briefing
Ch.4: Her
Ch.5: Almost Everything But Not All
Ch.6: When Hope First Began Diminishing
Ch.7: Mike The Trustworthy
Ch.8: Best Friend Problems
Ch.9: Loyal From Day 1
Ch.10: My First Bestie
Ch.11: Unanswered
Ch.12: Time - Out
Ch.13: A Silent Visit
Ch.14: Small Talk, Big Faith
Ch.15: Conviction
Ch.16: Hopes And Beginnings
Ch.17: I'm Alive
Ch.18: Broken Pieces, New Puzzles
Ch.19: Marge's, Mike and Memories
Ch.20: The Name On The Plate
Ch 22. A Second Death
Ch.23: When A Man Goes Missing...
Ch.24: Coffee and Cocoa
Ch.25: Old Bonds
Ch.26: Unanswerable Doubts
Ch. 27: One For Two, Maybe?
Ch.28 Revealing The Past

Ch.21: A Familiar Stranger

5 1 0
By mintlimejuice

I changed random channels on T.V. All the news channels showed disappointing news and I couldn't bear to watch them. The movies were the same ones they show throughout the year. Frustrated, I put a cookery show on.

"Today we're gonna prepare a healthy, fun family dish."

I cringed and switched off the T.V. The effect of the light from the screen made my eyes view weird shapes in the dark.

I closed my eyes briefly, unknowingly drifting into a sleep.

*****

I hugged myself a little tighter as the cold wind blew against me. I decided to walk although I had a car. Walking is the verb name for the time spent by a man when he's all alone, thinking, while in motion. Well, that's how it works for me anyway.

What am I doing in life right now? Where am I in life? And most importantly, who am I?

The familiar smell of an elixir blocked my thought process of self-assessment. I inhaled deeply and turned by a ninety degrees to meet the source of the smell.

"The regular. Medium." I ordered my coffee and took out my phone. As usual I had a few random notifications. I scrolled through them, stifling a yawn. My only emails were the ones asking for confirmation of my accounts on some applications I had downloaded centuries ago when Mike forced me to, I quote him, "move with the times." I selected each one in the checkbox to delete them. My coffee arrived. I let it cool for a few minutes. I had a few messages from one of my colleagues, Amelia. She seems interested in me but unfortunately the woman is a little psychotic if I may say so. Okay. That might be an exaggeration. But that's how I feel whenever she is not less than a few metres away from me. She always had this weird smile. What's so psychotic about that, you ask? Well, picture this: she's typing on her computer and whenever you look at her, I repeat, WHENEVER you look at her, she's smiling. At the computer!!! And to top it all, she wears this blood red coloured lipstick. Yes. That's the only adjective I can use to describe that shade of red. And what's even more creepier? She raises one eyebrow while doing so. The only other expression I've seen of hers is this expression of distaste that she shows when I acknowledge or laugh another woman's words.

Yeah, that's 'cause you deserved to be stoned for your lame jokes, Amelia!!

Cool down, Evan. I take a long sip of my coffee. Ahhh.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

An elderly man gestured to the seat opposite me. I blinked for a few seconds because I swear his eyes are so familiar!

"Um..no, not really."

"So does that mean you're expecting someone?"

"No, no, go ahead. Please sit."

He smiled. "Kay."

I eyed him as he gently dragged the chair back without a single sound and sat down. He was probably close to sixty. He had a huge greying beard and he was losing hair on his head. His face was slightly wrinkled but there was youth in his eyes. He looked up to catch me staring at him. I immediately looked away but I see his amused face from my peripheral vision. I can feel my face heating up.

"So...what do you do for a living, young man?" He asks me.

Great. An interview. How pleasing.

"Well, I work at Wattson's. What about you?"

I immediately bit my tongue. He's probably in his late fifties or early sixties Evan. I think he may have retired. Ugh. My inner Evan sends me the warning a little too late. I look at him half-apologetic, half-expectant as he answers.

"Well, I do business. Travel a lot. That's why I'm around. Thought I'd drop in for some coffee. Want about you? What brings you here?"

I look down at my half-empty coffee cup. "Just needed some time to myself." I tried not to sound rude.

"Oh. I'm so sorry. Am I ruining your peace of mind? I can shift to another table if you want." The man looked ready to leave any moment.

As much as I hated to accept it, I didn't mind his company.

"No no! I don't mind your company at all Mr..."

"Um...Bryan." He seemed hesitant to say his name.

"Mr. Bryan. I'm Evan." I extended a hand.

He shook it. "Nice to meet you, Evan." He pronounced my name slowly.

Weird? Nope.

Not even close to Amelia.

Awkward silence.

I cleared my throat. I hate awkward silences.

He sipped his coffee. "So Evan, tell me about your family."

I almost spilled my entire cup of coffee. I kept the cup on the table to avoid further mishaps.

"Well. I don't like talking about them, Mr. Bryan."

He looked...anxious?

"Why not?"

Okay. Now I regret not shooing him to another table. Nosy guy.

"It's complicated."

"Really? Well I'm sure it--"

"Look. I said I don't wanna talk about it right? There are a million other topics we can talk about. Just 'cause I said I enjoy your company doesn't mean I'm gonna let you in on my entire messed up life story, okay?"

He didn't look surprised. If anything he looked concerned.

"Messed up?"

Of all the words I said, he picked up only those two.

And those eyes, jeez, where have I...

"Are you sure you don't wanna talk about it, son? I mean things get better when shared, right?"

"Well..." I hesitated to think about it. Yes of course I would feel lighter but he is a complete stranger.

"Not really. Thanks for asking though."

"Anytime." He looked at me intently, attempting to break the last string that kept me from spilling everything.

"Yeah." I stood up. "It was nice meeting you Mr. Bryan."

He gave me a weird, knowing smile.
"The pleasure's all mine Mr. Adams."

*******

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97 30 18
Let me tell you a little story about an insidious young man, who is yet to be acquainted with his adult life; As he experiences stress he's never fel...
1.6M 24.3K 76
Love. As 'beautiful' as love can be it hurts and bleeds. If you're unlucky you may even love the very person you know you can't have. The best friend...
2.7K 246 33
The average human being spends every second of his day fighting against the force of nature to see another day. But I'm different. I'm not afraid of...
13.7K 972 20
EDITED..!! "Why baby... I don't want to live but I live because of you.. you died for me.. why... I want you so bad.. I want to see you smile I want...