The Healing (Book Two)

By Painting-with-light

This is the second book to The Unforgivable. Alexander Kingston wakes up after his accident that left him wi... More

One - Reborn
Two - Letting Love Go
Three - Employee to Lover to Boss
Four - Tug of War
Five - Falling Into You
Seven - Warmth
Eight - True Self
Nine - Birthday
Ten - Breaks
Eleven - Flashbacks
Twelve - Amor
Thirteen - Remembering
Fourteen - Superhero
Fifteen - Pain
Sixteen - Fear
Seventeen - Equals
Eighteen - Life and Death
Nineteen - Preparation
Twenty - Gone
Twenty-one - Goodbye
Twenty-two - Fragility
Twenty-three - Best Man
Epilogue
Author's Note

Six - Remission

9.5K 407 18
By Painting-with-light

Mia's POV

I took my heels off and tiredly walked into my place. It had been a long day at work mostly because I felt on edge all afternoon after having lunch with Alex. The way he embraced me and looked into my eyes woke up all the feelings that I had been trying to suppress.

I knew I could just not date Ethan any longer because it was unfair to him and to myself. Even if he said it was okay and eventually I would love him I just knew that wouldn't happen. I could not love him because every piece of my heart belongs to Alexander.

I sat on the sofa debating how I would break the news to him. I knew he'd be here in a few minutes since that was his routine. I bit my lip nervously and decided to just be straight to the point. It would be the easiest way to do it I thought.

His knock made me slightly jump out of surprise. I knew he had a key so I did not know why he was knocking but I went to open the door anyway. He smiled at me but it didn't reach his eyes which made me anxious.

"Hey Ethan"

"Hi babe, how was your day?"

"It was alright, yours?"

"Not too great" he said looking upset.

"Ethan we need to talk."

He looked at me as if he knew what I wanted to say and replied quickly, "we do, I need to tell you something important."

That completely surprised me. We sat down on the sofa and I looked at him, "what is it?"

His next words made my heart squeeze painfully because I just couldn't break up with him after this.

"My cancer came back..."

A tear fell from the corner of his eye as he looked at me and I just felt frozen. There was no way that i would break up with him like this. I couldn't give him any more bad news.

I didn't know what to say to him other than hug him and try to process what had just happened.

Ethan's POV

I smiled while she hugged me making sure she did not see me. This worked out perfectly. There was no way she'd break up with me any longer. I saw her resolve completely disappear when I gave her the news. She was definitely mine now.

"Mia... I have something to ask you... I won't give up this fight baby. I will put all my energy into fighting this cancer again. I just need something from you... I hope you'll say yes because I knew this will just make it so much easier for me... and it'll make me so happy."

"What is it?"

"I would like for us to live together during this time.. you know how tiring my treatment is and I would just like to spend as much time with you as I can..."

"Ethan... you need to focus on yourself right now not on us... I think it's best if you don't move in right now"

I tried to put my most pained expression and looked down, "Mia... if I die... I just want to know that I spent as much time with the person I love. If my time is cut short I want to know I lived life to the fullest."

I could see her struggling to say no even though she wanted to then she gave me a weak smile and barely nodded.

"Oh baby girl thank you so much, you don't have to worry about a thing I'll get everything taken care of so we can just be together as soon as possible okay?"

"Okay" she said weakly.

Mia's POV

I woke up feeling extremely warm. I looked around me and saw Ethan's arm draped over me. I sat up quickly confused as to what was happening and then remembered that he'd been here for a week now. I needed and wanted my own space but I couldn't find the strength to say no to him when he might not have too much time left.

I stood up and grabbed a pair of clothes then went to get ready in my bathroom. Even though we were living together, I did not feel comfortable enough to just change in front of him even if he was asleep. I didn't want him to get any ideas.

I left the house excitedly because the drive to work was my only alone time and I looked forward to it. I also knew when I got to work I would be seeing Alex and that brought a smile to my face. He didn't know I was living with Ethan now and he didn't need to know since we aren't together. I knew he wouldn't be happy about it though so I made sure it did not slip out in conversation.

When I walked into the office and stepped in the elevator my heart almost skipped a beat. Alexander was standing there looking as handsome as always. His warm eyes twinkling and his lips turning up into a smile as he saw me.

"Good morning Mia"

"Good morning Alex"

We both went to press the 10th button to go up to the office at the same time so our hands collided. His hand was as soft and warm as I remembered it. Our eyes met at the same time our eyes did and I was embarrassed at my thunderous heartbeat.

"Your skin is so soft Mia" he said in a gentle voice that sounded like music to my ears.

The elevators door opened and the fresh air coming in helped me clear my head. One minute longer in that elevator with him and I might have just told him how much I love him still.

Alex's POV

I just couldn't keep my eyes off of Mia today. Not after our little encounter in the elevator. I did not want to rush my feelings but I was almost positive that the happiness and fullness in my heart every time she looks at me means I am completely in love with her.

Even though she is with someone now, the feelings between us are undeniable. The way her breathing and heart quickens when I'm near her just tells me she loves me too even if she won't admit it.

I need to tell her how I feel, maybe if I do, just maybe then she'll leave him for me. We were heading out for lunch together at our usual place when I heard her name called out.

I turned to see Ethan walking towards us.

"Hey babe, sorry I missed your call, but I'm here now so we can have lunch together."

"Oh uhm yeah okay" she said a little uncomfortable.

"Oh and also here" he said handing her a jacket, "when you left our place this morning you left without one so I figured I would bring you one because it's chilly."

"Thank you" she mumbled while looking up at me when he said that.

He said "our"? As in they live together now?

The feelings that flooded through me almost took my breath away. I was angry at her for moving in with him, but mostly I was hurt and upset.

"I'll see you later Ms. Franco" I said stoically and walked into the restaurant. What surprised me more was the fact that they followed me right in. I could tell she didn't want to be there but he was just rubbing it all in my face.

I asked for the booth in the corner because I did not want to see them but unfortunately, their booth had a perfect line of sight to mine. I tried to stay focused on my food but I could see him all over her from the corner of my eye. Constant kissing and hugging her. The anger was quickly overriding the hurt with every kiss he gave her.

How could she move in with him when she obviously has feelings for me? And this whole time I thought there was something happening between us, the way she looked at me and the way she acted around me. But I was wrong.

I looked up at the same time she did and our eyes meet for a few seconds. I wanted to see what she was thinking, if she really wanted him instead of me. Before I could look for an answer he grabbed her chin and kissed her a little too roughly making my hands itch. How could he treat her like that? And how does she even let him?

I clenched my jaw and paid my bill then left even though I barely touched my plate. I went back to the office and started working again to keep my mind off of her. After about an hour I knew she'd be coming in soon. I heard the door open and saw her come in from the corner of my eye but completely ignored it. I wasn't going to look because if I did I don't know what I would say.

She obviously knew I did not want to talk because she kept her gaze down and worked silently for the rest of the evening. Other than a question here and there all we said was goodbye before we left.

Author's NOTE: please vote and comment :)
I am super excited to be writing again, since I started this semester of college it's gotten harder but I promise to try my hardest and update more frequently!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.5K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
6.7M 243K 84
❝Why do you have a tongue piercing?❞ I asked, observing the other piercings he had and the designs inked on his skin. I'd never seen so much work don...
10.3K 569 23
Catherine was about to say something, but the office door flew open. I let out a breath of relief. Grabbing Daphne's arm, I led us towards the op...
3.2M 99.2K 42
*UNDERGOING EDITING* *COMPLETED* HIGHEST RANKING #14 TEEN FICTION/ #5 HUMOUR/ #2 CHICKLIT/ #1 CLICHE "Your skin is so soft." He muttered trailing his...