Rose Thorne ✔︎

By marcie_lou

Rose's life has order. She knows what she needs to do to stay out of trouble with her always traveling, never... More

©
Cast List
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
Epilogue: A Glimpse Forward
⋄•Playlist•⋄

24

10.6K 406 28
By marcie_lou

#367 in Chicklit!!!

I screammed? Yeah, I'm a whole lot excited.

[0]

I stepped into the car before giving my dad a small smile and closing the door behind me.

This has been going on for over a week.

"How was school?" He asked as he drove off the school grounds.

"Good." I nodded. "Next week, we'll begin dissecting pigs in biology."

"Do you want to do that? I got the paper to prevent you from doing so. I can sign it if you want."

"That's okay." I told him and he gave me a small nodded.

A stretch of silence passed before he spoke again.

"Jen is going to call today about some bridesmaid stuff." He said and I nodded.

"Okay." I nodded.

It's not like I have a choice.

The rest of the car ride was silent and when we got home, we both went our separate ways.

Although I still don't have my car, my father gave me my phone back a few days ago.

I think it's just so he can have a hold on me at all times.

Whatever the case, I wasn't going to complain.

I was halfway through my homework when my phone rang for a FaceTime from Katelyn. With a small smile, I answered.

"Hold on, I have to pee. So, here's my mom." And with that, she handed the phone to Jenifer.

"Hi." I smiled politely and she returned the favor.

"Do you have a calendar near you? I have some very important dates to talk to you about." She instructed and I nodded before walking to the big calendar on my desk.

I sat down and grabbed a pen.

"I'm ready." I nodded.

For the next twenty minutes I sat at my desk while Jennifer threw important days about shopping days and rehearsals and food tastings at me and I wrote them down with a small, polite smile.

"Don't forget to tell her the wedding date too." Katelyn said sarcastically in the background and I bit back a laugh.

"Very funny." Jenifer rolled her eyes before standing up. After a quick goodbye, she handed the phone to Katelyn and a few seconds later, I heard a door close to tell me that she left the room.

"Well, at least I won't have a boring beginning to my summer." I teased and Katelyn rolled her eyes.

"It's ridiculous over here, there's always some flowers person or a cater here." She replied and I grimaced.

"You could always come here." I offered and she let out a sigh.

"I wish."

Me too.

Because maybe if you were here, the feeling of suffocation would leave my chest.

"Speaking of coming over, what are you doing for spring break?" She asked and shook my head.

"Nothing." I told her. "Unless my dad has something planned."

Which he won't, because that would mean he has free time.

"Well what do you say to coming to North Carolina for break?" She asked and my eyes widened.

"What?"

"Yeah, mom and Charlie are going up to New York to talk to a fashion designer that week and they're taking a mini vacation. Come spend the week with me, that way we won't be alone on spring break." She smiled.

That sounds awesome.

But before I allowed my excitement to spike up, I remembered my reality.

"I'd really have to talk my dad up to see if he's up to it." I shrugged. "But I would love to if he were to say yes."

"Then he will." She nodded with determination and I shook my head.

"If you haven't noticed, my mom has your dad wrapped around her fingers. If I can convince her- which I can, than she can convince your dad." She winked and I let out a small laugh.

"If you say so." I told her.

"So, how's Liam?" She wiggled her eyebrow and I shrugged.

"I don't tutor him anymore." I told her.

Plus I basically ordered him to stop speaking to me.

And he's doing just what I asked him.

"Why not?" Katelyn asked.

"Because, I need to have a verity of electives if I want Dartmouth to take me seriously." I told her.

"So I joined the Young Debaters Club at school." I nodded with a small smile and she frowned at me.

"What the hell happened? What about UCLA?"

"I don't need to go there anymore." I told her.

I can't turn down an Ivy League.

Especially one my dad worked so hard to get me into.

"The hell you can't." Katelyn snapped. "What the hell happened?"

She wouldn't understand.

"Nothing happened, I just changed my mind." I told her.

"Do you still plan to move to LA and being a teacher?" She asked and I gave her a nod.

"Yeah." I nodded and she gave me a look, indicating that she didn't believe me.

"Then why don't you want to go to UCLA?" She asked and I let out a long sigh.

"Because I just changed my mind." I told her.

"Bullshit, Rose." She scoffed. "What's the real reason here?"

"There's isn't, I just changed my mind." I shrugged before tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It is so annoying when you do hat." She rolled her eyes. "Just talk to me Rose."

I can't.

"You're being a drama queen." I rolled my eyes and she scoffed at me.

"I just want you to be able to talk to me so I can love and support you but you're being a bitch." She said and I gasped.

"I'm sorry?" I asked and she nodded.

"You won't trust me."

Oh.

"Katelyn." I said slowly.

"I don't understand, who hurt you so bad that you can't trust me?" She asked.

My father.

Since the day my mother died, he fed into my brain that everyone is unpredictable. That they always have a second agenda.

And I believe him.

"No one hurt me." I lied. "I just find it hard to let people in. Especially someone I've only known for a few months."

Even through the phone screen I could see the hurt in her eyes.

"That's all I am? Just someone you've known for a few months?" She asked.

"No-" I shook my head in panic.

"It doesn't matter, I'll talk to you later." She said before hanging up.

Great.

Way to go, Rose.

Laying down on the bed, I let out a long sigh at myself.

Katelyn isn't just someone I've known for a few months.

She's the person that came into my life and she instantly made it slightly better. She likes me for me and she doesn't try to change me. In fact, she's been helping me try to find the real Rose.

But she's also really close with my dad. They have the type of relationship that him and I will never have.

If I were to dare tell her just how overprotective and overbearing he was at times, she would have a different view of him. And I don't want want to do that to her.

Letting out another sigh, I picked myself up and walked over to my desk to start my mountain of homework.

But I couldn't focus.

Katelyns hurt expression was embedded in my brain and I couldn't focus on anything else.

So I called her.

On the fourth ring she replied with a sharp.

"What?"

"I'm sorry." I replied.

"You're more than just someone I met a few months ago." I apologized.

"You're important to me." I tried to explain but the words weren't forming properly in my brain.

I don't know how to do this and it's showing.

"I-"

"I understand." Katelyn said and I let out a sigh.

"I understand, and I love you too." She said and I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Thank you." I replied and she let out a laugh.

"I'll talk to you later." I said in a small voice.

"By Rose, or should I call you Daisy too?" She asked and my heart sank.

"No." I told her.

"I'm just kidding, I know only Liam calls you that." She teased.

Not anymore.

"I'll talk to you later." I bid my goodbyes before hanging up.

[0][0][0]

I illuminated my phone screen again to look at the time.

6:25

I got out of school at three thirty and my dad is still not here.

Letting out a long sigh, I pulled my knees up to my chest as a cool breeze seeped through my thin sweater.

"Daisy?"

My head snapped back and I turned to look at Liam.

"Sorry, Rose." He corrected and I felt a pang in my heart.

I have been asking him to call me Rose since day one. But now that he is, it feels wrong.

"What are you still doing here?" He asks.

"Waiting for my dad." I told him and a frown took on his face.

"Did you have debate club?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Wait, you've been here since school let out?"

"Yeah." I said quietly.

"Where's your car?"

"It got taken away." I told him.

He gave me a small nod before his hand reached up and he scratched the back of his head.

"Do you want a ride home?" He asked and I looked at the phone in my hand.

My dad is probably on his way right now. He was probably just held up in his case and he lost track of time.

It would be bad if he made his way all the way here and only to find an empty parking lot.

"Dai-Rose" he shook his head.

"Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll have to decline. My dad is probably on his way." I offered before looking at my phone again.

6:30

"Well, what if I wait with you?" He offered and I gave him a shrug.

"I-uh.. okay." I nodded and he gave me a small smile before sitting down next to me on the school steps.

For about five minutes, we sat in a suffocating silence.

And as each seconds passed, my chest grew heavier.

"I'm sorry." I blurted and he looked at me with a frown.

"For?"

"Last week I kind of blew up on you." I told him. "I mean, it's not a crime for you to invite me places. I have free will, I can decline. So my burst of anger was rude and unnecessary."

He chuckled.

"Apology accepted." He smiled and I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Thank you for accepting." I nodded.

"You're welcome, Daisy." He replied and I rolled my eyes at him, which only made his smile grow.

"How are you holding up in bio?" I asked and he let out a groan.

"I'm trying to identify the different body parts of a pig." He whined.

"Have you tried making note cards?" I asked and he gave me a look.

"Of course you haven't." I rolled my eyes before grabbing my backpack. I felt his eyes on me as I rummaged through it and I grabbed my own note cards.

His eyes danced with excitement and I gave him a small smile.

"I even drew the matching organs on the back."

"You are a saint." He gasped and I shook my head at him.

He pocketed the note cards before standing up.

"Let me give you a ride home." He said and before I could protest he held his hand out.

"It's obvious that your dad is busy, just call him and tell him that you have a ride home and he doesn't have to come get you anymore." He said and I thought about it.

That sounds reasonable.

"Are you sure?" I frowned. "We live on opposite sides of town." I told him and he held his hand out.

"I'm sure." He nodded with a smile.

A smile that could stop the heart.

"Okay." I nodded before placing my hands in his.

Opting for the coward way, I texted my father instead instead of calling.

He didn't even apologize for keeping me here for over four hours.

"Lets go." I told Liam and he gave me a small smile before grabbing my hand.

And I let him hold it.

"Please slow down." I begged as I swallowed bile.

He's going way over the speed limit and if he doesn't stop, my lunch from today with be on the floor of his Porsche.

"What's the fun in that?" He snuck a glance at me.

"I am going to vomit." I warned and he shook his head at me in amusement.

"I wish I was kidding. Stop the car." I ordered.

"I'm slowing down, Daisy, clam down."

"Stop the car." I retched before putting a fist against my mouth.

"Shit, you're not kidding." He cursed before taking a sharp and swift stop.

That only sent my stomach into overdrive and I barely got the door open in time to empty my stomach.

"Ugh." I groaned before stepping out of the car.

"You get car sick?" He asked before opening his trunk. He grabbed a water bottle from the back before handing it to me.

"I don't usually, but with your driving, yes." I told him before gargling some water and spitting it out.

"I'm not that bad." He informed.

"Tell that to my tossed lunch." I groaned before sipping some water.

The amount of embarrassment that's running through my veins right now is almost unbearable.

"Are you okay?" Liam asked and I placed a hand over my mouth.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Just, drive the speed limit?" I suggested. "And maybe stop swerving."

"Anything for you Daisy." He smiled and I sipped some more water.

"Ready to go?" I asked once my stomach had stopped turning.

"Yeah." He nodded before going to the passenger side and opening the door for me.

"I would invite you to go grab a bite to eat but you might get angry at me again." He teased and my cheeks reddened.

"You're not funny." I muttered.

"Yeah, but I'm adorable." He grinned and I looked away.

Because he wasn't wrong.

[0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0]

Took me five ever to write this and it's a bit rough. But I hope you enjoyed.

Did you like the little sister moments in there? What about when Liam got to say Daisy again?

Lemme know how you feel in the comments please.

Vote

Share.

Coming up: I have no clue.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 3.7K 10
Scarlett is a sweet girl but with both parents deceased and surrounded by a unfamiliar pack full of hate how is she gonna survive? Update:Nov 2022 Bo...
2.6K 870 24
Hayden is a teenager with a mental disorder that impacts herself and the people around her. She's misunderstood by everyone but herself. Liam is a g...
4.4K 148 25
(NOT EDITED!!! this will be completely edited when I finish the story sorry if anything seems out of whack)...
2.5K 92 50
Rose is 15 years old and attends a performing arts school however at home Rose has an abusive step-father. Rose thought her life couldn't get any wor...