TAMPONS | PHAN

By baamyoongi

TAMPONS | PHAN "I didn't think they were for you" When one boy goes to buy tampons for his girlfriend, he nev... More

one; january
two; february
three; march
four; april
five; april
six; may
seven; may
eight; june
nine; july
eleven; september
twelve; october
thirteen; november
fourteen; december
epilogue; new year's eve
final words

ten; august

7K 523 353
By baamyoongi

a u g u s t;

Fourteen days into August, the heat spell broke, and dark heavy rain clouds took over the previously blue sky. Dan exited his flat only  to be hit by a firm wall of rain, driven sideways by the blustering winds. He had never missed his car more than in this moment – his Dad had taken their now shared car to London for the weekend as he continued the futile search for a job.

Unfortunately for Dan, newspapers were delivered 'rain or shine' hence, the reason Dan had exited his flat on a foul day like this. At least, he thought, the weather is considerably cooler. He attempted to flatten the bulging bag of papers against his chest, but his raincoat was of no use, the flimsy material having almost soaked through to his jumper.

Flipping his soaked fringe out of his eyes, he jogged towards the first house on his route, dropping the paper on the doorstep – an improvement to what he normally did – and paused under the overhang for a moment before stepping back out into the fray.

By the time Dan had reached the shop – where Phil had previously worked and Pj now worked – he estimated he had delivered half the papers – the rest lay waterlogged and soaked through in the bottom of his bag. He decided to step into the shop for a few moments relief before he continued on his route.

The door chimed as he stepped inside, goosebumps immediately rising to his skin as the fans were still running making the air chilly. Dan's clothes clung to him like a second skin, chafing as he took small awkward steps into the shop. The store was deserted, no one daring to leave their houses in weather like this. Dan spotted Pj at the cash register, headphone clamped over his head as he focused on a screen.

Dan headed towards him, his shoes squeaking against the shiny floors, leaving small water droplets trailing behind him. He was acutely aware of the water droplets sliding down his nose and the sides of his face. He attempted to wipe at them with his sleeve – succeeding only in adding water.

"Hey," said Dan approaching the cash. Pj didn't replying, bobbing head to a song that Dan couldn't hear. Dan rolled his eyes waving his hands in front of the boy's face. Pj gave a start jumping backwards with his hand over his chest. Dan grabbed his laptop as it fell back with him – due to the headphones still over his ears – moments before the device fell off the counter.

"Jesus Dan," sighed Pj, clutching his heart. "You gave me a heart attack," he added sliding his headphone around his neck and Dan grinned at the boy. Over the past month they had become good friends, Dan returning to shop after his paper route each day – for lack of better things to do.

"Sorry mate," apologized Dan passing Pj his laptop. He flipped open the screen, saving whatever he had been working on, before coiling the headphones over top.

"It's fine. What the fuck happened to you?" asked Pj taking in Dan's soaked state.

"Um..." Dan said gesturing to one of the windows where the foul weather could be seen. Pj gave a start, as though he was shocked to see the state outdoors.

"It was only drizzling when I arrived. Nobody's came in all day so I've been pretty locked in my own little bubble," answered Pj.

"Peej..." tutted Dan admonishing his friend with a shake of his head. Pj rolled his eyes.

"Shut it," he said though he was grinning at Dan. "Let me get you a towel," he added jumping over the register and disappearing down an aisle. "Here," he said, returning moments later from the 'Home and Bath' section with a fluffy pink towel in his hand.

Dan took it, holding it gingerly between his thumb and forefinger. "Are you sure?" he asked "I – I can't pay for this." He glanced at the price tag, shocked at the expense of a simple towel.

"Take it you freak," said Pj affectionately. Seeing that Dan was still hesitant, he sighed. "Sherry isn't working for another two days. If it matters so much to you, I'll wash it and put it back."

"You can't do that!" exclaimed Dan and Pj rolled his eyes again.

"Okay then I'll take it out of my wages," he said and Dan shook his head.

"You don't need to do that," he protested pushing the towel over to Pj who picked it up.

"I can afford it Dan," he said, wrapping the towel around Dan's sopping shoulders. "I've been taken on five times a week at the radio station thank to you. I was planning out tonight's selection earlier," he said and Dan beamed.

"I'm glad," he said. Two weeks back, he had gone around to all the houses on his paper route and asked if they had minded when Muse or any other 'alternative' songs or bands played on the radio station. Most said that they hadn't minded and the other said that they actually liked it. Dan had filmed some of the testimonies and had given it to Pj who in turn submitted it to his boss.

"It was because of you," insisted Pj and Dan blushed rubbing a corner of the towel over his face and hair drying them a little. "And it's because you did that, that I am going to give you this," Pj added and Dan looked at him curiously.

Pj scribbled something down on a piece of paper, shielding it from Dan's curious gaze. "I'm not going to lie. I thought you were an asshole when I first met you. I got the entire story from Flynnie, and that was a dick-move but as I grew to know you... I came to like you. I believe in second chances, everyone's human after all. So that's why – I'm giving you this."

Pj handed Dan the piece of paper. Dan glanced on it to see two numbers scrawled across it. "The first one is mine," said Pj pointing to the UK number on top, "The second is Flynn's. He agreed to get you in contact with Phil if ever you wanted to apologize before he returns here at the end of August. Do what you wish with it," shrugged Pj and Dan tucked the paper carefully into the inside pocket of his bag.

"Thank you," he said lunging forward and wrapping his arms around Pj. He relaxed for a moment and then started to squirm.

"Get off me you wet dog!" he shrieked and Dan giggled.

"Don't you want a hug Peej?" he asked putting on a high-pitched voice and fluttering his eyelashes. He held out his arms, making kissy noises with his mouth. "Come to Auntie Daniel," he said.

Pj shoved his chest playfully. "Get away from me!" he repeated and Dan laughed, succeeding in his mission of pissing Pj off. He secured the blanket back around his shoulders and settled on the edge of the counter only to notice Pj staring at him curiously.

"What?" asked Dan and Pj shrugged.

"It's nothing – it's just that in the month I've known you, I haven't seen you this happy," he said and Dan smiled softly staring at the ground. He hadn't given a second thought to laughing just then at his antic with Pj, but now that he thought of it, he hadn't much reason to smile over the summer. Perhaps it was a sign that things would get better.

"Well you make me happy, you doof," said Dan bumping gently against Pj's shoulder.

"Thank but I'm taken," joked Pj and Dan rolled his eyes. "Do you want to see my set list for tonight?" he asked and Dan glanced towards the windows. The rain was stil coming down heavily, and Dan supposed he might as well wait until it had settled down before heading out again and finishing his route.

"Yeah, sure" said Dan.

He remained in the shop for another hour, listening to Pj chat about his radio show, and occasionally adding a comment of his own. They stopped once to check out a package of gum for a middle-aged man who smelled slightly of cigarette smoke, then – as soon as the shop doors slid close behind him – lapsed back into their previous conversation.

Dan headed back out when the rain had slowed down to a drizzle, still on a high from talking to Pj. He had forgotten how nice it was to have friends, sometimes it got slightly boring when it was only him and his Dad.

Maybe things were slightly awful at the moment, but like the rain they would soon stop and the sun would come again. 

--

did i make it rain in this chapter just so i could make that metaphor about the sun aka phil lester at the end?

yes, i did. i'm not even ashamed about it. also soz this is so boring it's a bit of a filler chapter which didn't take me long to write and it's short because filler. but september is going to be lit (ironic use of lit - there will be a bonfire) and october is literally my fav chapter i have planned.

i'm p sure i'm gonna do a figure skating! dan and hockey player! phil AU as the next work i do after tampons.  i will have to get a start on because i haven't really done much on that one lmao

idk if i've mentioned this before but you all are so so so so nice and all your comments make my day and make me smile so much. love you all!

rach.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 8 28
Just a book of Phan one shots. I will try to leave out trigger warning ones but I might add in one or two. ~Enjoy!~
72.3K 3.2K 18
update:: this was written about two years ago, the writing is quite bad, I apologize in advance //trigger warning// //dans pov// "do you love me phi...
260K 15.8K 47
I breathed out, letting the air fan over his earlobe. Then I seductively whispered, "Don't be a hypocrite. You already have enough bad qualities. Pri...
12.8K 792 14
"so what if i'm crazy? the best people are." |suicide squad based phan au| |rated r|