A Year of Her Life

By JenniP

This story follows two sisters during a year that is destined to end in disaster. They deal with boyfriends... More

A Year of Her Life
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Lucky 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 18

446 4 7
By JenniP

Hey guys.  sorry it's been so long. Out of respect for you readers I won't write down all my excuses.

I do want to say THANK YOU to those of you who are still reading.  i appreciate every one of you.  I would love to get more comments.  I know you want to leave a little something.  So, go on, do it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy...let me know...

Dad dropped me off at school the next Monday.  I had bruises that were visible on my face and neck.  I kept my head down so that not everyone would notice.  I went to my class and sat at my desk waiting on the bell to start the day.

Dad had knocked the door down at the apartment.  He attacked our mom and beat her until she agreed to go back home with him.  Georgia was next.  He called her awful names and I jumped on his back while he was hitting her.  Finally, I’d had my moment of bravery.  That will never happen again.

We went back to our house with our dad.  Georgia and I ran to our room and listened to Mom and Dad argue for the rest of the night.  It was awful.  Georgia tried to soothe me, but it didn’t work.  Finally, she began to talk out what could have gone wrong as to how Dad found us.  We both agreed that one of his friends had followed Judy.

The school day went by slowly.  I didn’t want to go home after school.  I kept looking off, kind of day dreaming, that my teacher would notice my bruises and call the authorities to help me and Georgia.  She never looked my direction.  At recess, I sat by myself and read a book.

When the final bell rang I slowly made my way out to the waiting cars.  I found my dad four cars from the front.  I slouched into my seat and closed the door without a word.  Georgia was already in the front seat beside Dad.  She had the same look of defeat as I pictured was on my face.  It was like an unspoken agreement that we would be silent because he never spoke either.

Once home, Georgia and I both went to our room without a word.  We were told we could not go outside or have company until we could be trusted again.  We knew that would be a while.  And, it was.  We went to school and came home.  Georgia couldn’t even take me to church anymore.  We were told that Chris wouldn’t be coming back.  Georgia said he had moved in with Russ permanently.

Our lives had turned dreary and pointless.  Mom was drinking again and spent most of her time in her room when she wasn’t working.  Georgia cooked for me and her on most nights.  Dad ate by himself in the family room down stairs.  He didn’t want to spend time with us, but he didn’t want us to leave. 

Georgia cried a lot. When I asked what was wrong, she just shrugged her shoulders.  I knew that she was crying over Russ and their baby.  She wasn’t allowed to see Russ anymore.  I knew she missed him terribly.  Who wouldn’t, he was great.

^^

Our family’s house arrest lasted until June.  The Friday Georgia graduated to be exact.  Dad told Georgia that she could go out with her friends after the ceremony, but she wasn’t allowed to take me.  This brightened her spirits just a little.  I know she missed going out and feeling free.  I told her to go and that I wasn’t scared to stay with Mom and Dad by myself.  But, to tell the truth, I was.

“How do I look?”  Georgia asked as she turned away from the big mirror in the bathroom.

“Beautiful!” I answered honestly.  Her hair was curled into loose waves.  Her make-up was smooth with light pink lipstick.  She had on the mandatory white dress that flattered her figure.  She would wear the blue robe and cap after she got to the school.

“I hope so, I’m so nervous,” she gave me a slight smile.

“You do, don’t worry.”

“I’m afraid I’m gonna trip and fall while on stage getting my diploma.  And, what if I take the diploma and shake hands wrong.  There’s a right way and a wrong way, ya know,” Georgia admitted nervously.  “The worst thing is that I can’t even look at Russ with Dad around.”

“But, you’re graduating.  He can’t keep you away from Russ anymore.  If he does, you can just move out.  I know Russ wants you to move in with him,” I replied.  I knew it was true.  They always talked about her moving in with him right after graduation.  Georgia used to sigh and say she couldn’t wait.

“I can’t.  And, I don’t want to talk about it,” she snapped.  I could see that she instantly regretted speaking that harshly to me.  “I’m sorry.  It’s just that there is more I have to consider now.”  Her face was glum.  I didn’t want this to be a sad day for her.

“What time do you need to leave?” I asked trying to change the subject.

“In about twenty minutes.  Do you want me to help pick out your clothes and do your hair?”

“No, I can do it.  I was thinking maybe you need me to make you an sandwich while you finish getting ready,” I beamed my brightest smile.

“Well, what’s got into you?  I’d love a snack.  Nothing big though.”  She turned back to the mirror and I made my way to the kitchen to make her a snack.

Ten minutes later I walked back to our room with a plate of cheese and crackers for Georgia.  We shared the snack and she left for the school.  She had to be there way before we did so I had plenty of time after she left.

^^

The ceremony was long.  When I say long, I mean L. O. N. G.  There were 768 students in her class.  There were a lot of speeches by teachers, the principal, and students.  Everyone tried to be encouraging and uplifting.  Mom and Dad got along well for the night.

After the student threw their caps in the air and caught them, the crowd of parents and family members ran onto the field to see their student.  Dad grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowd with Mom holding onto my other.  We weaved past families making our way to Georgia.

I had never been on the football field before.  I was worried that all these people would be in trouble because it was against the rules to be on the field.  No one did, so I guess they made an exception for graduation.

Finally, we found Georgia.  Dad dropped my hand and scooped her up in a hug.  Looking on, they looked so natural in the loving embrace.  He actually looked like a proud dad.

“I’m so proud of you, Georgia,” he beamed as he sat her back down.

“Thanks, Dad,” she didn’t seem to mind the put on as she reached over me to hug Mom.

“Oh, honey, I’ve never been so happy,” tears spilled from Mom’s eyes as she gushed over Georgia.

“Thanks,” she smiled as Dad gave her another crushing hug.

As soon as he let her go she reached down to me with a hug, “I think I could hear you screaming and clapping when they called my name.”

My fat cheeks turned red, “That was the point.  You worked hard for today.  And, I thought you might trip if I could distract you enough,” I giggled at the last part.

Georgia tried to give me a stern look, but she ended up giggling right along with me.

“Georgia, You can go out tonight with your friends but, be home early.  I’m taking us to the lake for the rest of the weekend.  How does that sound,” Dad seemed happy with his idea.

Georgia and I agreed that we would like that.  Georgia gave us all one last hug before she ran off to find her friends.  Mom, Dad, and me went to dinner and then home to pack for the lake.  It was going to be a short trip with only one full day so there wasn’t that much packing to be done.

After I was done packing, Mom told me to go on to bed so I would be able to get up in the morning.  I showered and was in bed asleep by nine.  I heard Georgia come in some time after that.  I was amazed- not one fight.

^^

We got to the lake house well before lunch the next morning.  Dad went to get his boat ready to go out while Georgia and I unpacked the bags.  Mom left in the van to get groceries as soon as we had gotten all the bags out.

“Why don’t you go see if Johnny is around,” Georgia smirked.

“No, he’ll come over if he wants to see me,” I replied with pink cheeks.

“You’re already playing hard to get?”

“No, I just don’t want to embarrass myself if he doesn’t want to hang out.”

“Of course he wants to hang out.  He kissed you the last time we were here,” Georgia made kissing sounds.

“I know, but what if he changed his mind by now.  We haven’t been here in like two months.”

“Well, you’ll never know if you don’t go over there.  He won’t even know you’re here until Mom gets back with the van.”  I hadn’t thought of that.

I waited a minute before I responded trying to think.  “I’ll got out to the pier.  That way he’ll be able to see me and come over if he wants.  Is that good?”  I was so unsure of myself.

“That’s actually a good idea.  I’ll be here if you need me,” she practically shoved me out the door.

I walked down the path to the pier.  I purposely kept my head turned away from Johnny’s house but I could see the family car out of the corner of my eye.  I decided to stand on the pier for about ten minutes before I headed back to the house in defeat.  I was convinced that he’d changed his mind about me.

As I stood on the pier counting in my head to judge the time, Johnny ran onto the wooded boards.  I turned to see him jogging to me with a bright smile on his face.  Relief came over me as I gave him a smile of my own.

“Savannah, I was worried about you.  You guys haven’t been here in two months.  Is everything ok?”  He was out of breath and puffing as he spoke.

“Everything’s fine.  We were all just busy,” I stated flatly.

“Oh, okay,” Johnny sounded a little hurt by my excuse.

“You know, Georgia graduated and had finals and all.”

He smiled and nodded his head.  He seemed happier with my response.

“So, are you guys here for the week?”

“No, Georgia’s done, but I still have three days.  I think we’ll be back after that.”

I looked down and saw that Johnny was playing with a large piece of wood that had come apart from the rest.  Instead of remaining standing, I sat beside him with my feet in the water.

“So, can we go do something?”

“Well, Mom’s going to have lunch ready soon and I’m starving.  Do you want to eat with us and then walk to the store?”  I know I sounded hopeful.

“Sure, if it’s okay with your parents,” he smiled sheepishly.

“She always makes too much.  Come on,” I said as we both stood up from the wooded boards.  I turned around to wipe the back of my shorts a little.  When I looked back around Johnny caught me by surprise.  He quickly kissed my lips and turned to walk off the pier.  After the initial shock, I followed.

“I see you found Johnny,” Georgia called as we walked into the kitchen together.

My cheeks heated up, “Yeah, he came to the pier.”

“Hey Georgia,” he waved.

“How have things been, Johnny,” Georgia asked as she spread mayonnaise on bread.

“Good, you?”

“Well, I graduated last night, so I can’t complain”

The screen door opened and Mom ran in with a plastic grocery bag.  “I told you I didn’t forget the deli meat.  It was just still in the van,” she directed at Georgia.  “Hey Johnny.  You want some lunch?”

“Sure, If there’s enough.”  He was always considerate.

“I always have enough for company.  Besides, I think your dad’s coming over too.  I stopped and spoke to Will on my way back and they were together.”

“Sounds like a plan then,” Georgia giggled.

After lunch we all had our own plans.  Georgia got a float so she could tan while floating on the lake.  Dad and Johnny’s dad went fishing on the lake.  Mom wanted to work in her flowers, and Johnny and I walked to the store.

As we walked further and further from my house-and my dad-Johnny walked closer and closer to me.  When we were almost to the store he grabbed my hand and interlaced our fingers.  I liked holding Johnny’s hand.  He was warm, but I can’t say I felt relaxed when he was near me.  I was very much aware that I could embarrass myself at any moment.

I concentrated on not tripping or bumping into him.  I could feel that my hand was getting sweaty.  How could he not notice?  I didn’t make conversation because I didn’t want to say something stupid.  I was amazed at how quickly the atmosphere changed just by us holding hands.

Johnny let my hand go as we went into the store.  He didn’t say why, but I know he didn’t want someone to tell my dad.  I couldn’t blame him. 

We each got an ice cream cone.  I got chocolate and he got vanilla.  We walked behind the store to the playground to eat our cones.  Afterward, we played around for a while on the swings and monkey bars.  We walked down to the river’s edge and fed the fish some bread that Johnny got at the store.  There were so many little fish swimming and fighting for the pieces we threw. 

Ducks came around the corner to find us feeding the fish.  Four came over to get their share.  I backed away a little because I knew they could be temperamental at times.  Johnny noticed my defensive pose as I threw the small pieces of bread.

“Are you afraid of the big bad duck?”  His eyes shimmered with mischief.

“No, they’re just unpredictable.  I want to be able to get away if I can,” I said trying to sound confident.

“They’re just ducks.  They won’t hurt you, see.”  He leaned down very close to one of the larger birds.

“Johnny, what are you…”

“AW, get it off,” Johnny had leaned to close to the large beast and scared it.  The duck latched onto Johnny’s nose and wouldn’t let go.

I ran over to the bird and Johnny and screamed for the bird to let go.  Finally it did and then waddled off back into the lake.

“Are you okay?”  He was holding his nose and I could see his eyes shining with tears.

He looked at me with his hand still covering his nose.  He let his hand fall away.  I looked with disbelief.  His nose was red and purple, “Do ducks have teeth?”

Johnny looked at me with an amused expression and then busted out laughing.  “No, why, do you see teeth prints?”

“Well, yeah,” I said reluctantly.

“You just see the grooves,” he laughed.  “Is it that bad?”  His smile dropped and he put his fingers back on the spot.  He slid his fingers over the ridges left by the tortured duck.

“Yeah, it looks that bad,” I answered honestly.  I raised my own fingers and trailed behind his.  The grooves were deep but the skin wasn’t broken.

We both laughed and walked away from the rest of the ducks before they could join the attack.  We decided to go over to where people put boats in the water to see who we knew.  We stood around and watched as people backed the trucks into the water and put the boats on the nest and drove away.  Others were just putting the boats in.  That was fun to watch.  Some people tried three times before they got it right.

After a while, we realized that we didn’t know anyone at the boat landing and began walking around the main roads of the square.  Johnny held my hand again when he was satisfied that no one was around to tell my dad.  We talked about our schools and school friends.  Johnny had gotten out a week ago.  He asked so many questions.  It was like he wanted to know everything about me.  I answered and then asked him the same.

I found out that we had some things in common.  We both liked horror movies, pizza, and hockey.  His favorite color was blue; mine, green.  We liked the same music and bands.  We were also different in many areas.  I was a cat person and Johnny had two big dogs at home.  Johnny was into cars and motorcycles.  The only thing I knew about cars was what to hand Georgia when she asked.

We had a good time talking, but the sun had gone down and I knew that we needed to head back.  Johnny was the first to stand and offered me his hand.  I took his hand and we were on our way.  This time, Johnny put his arm loosely around my shoulder.  I liked this too.

“Does your nose feel better,” I enquired.

“Yeah, thanks,” he put his free hand back up to his nose as we kept walking.

“That would have been even funnier if it hadn’t hurt you so bad,” I said shyly.

“I think that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me,” he squeezed my shoulder then dropped his arm to his side.  I looked up to see that my house was just up ahead.

I was tired by the time we got back.  I was hoping I could watch some television for a while to rest.  When we got to the house everyone was in the living room so we joined them.

“Hey Johnny.  Did you guys have fun today?” my dad asked.

“Yes sir, we stayed mostly in the square by the boat landing,” Johnny replied easily.

“We’re picking out a movie to watch after dinner, Johnny.  Dou you want to stay?”  My mom was always hospitable while we were at the lake.  At home it was kind of like she had given up hope.

“No, thanks.  I better go on home now.”

“We’ll be leaving in the morning, but will be back Thursday for at least a week.  You should come back over then.” My dad invited.

“OK, see you then.  Bye Savannah,” he called as he went out the kitchen door.  I just smiled and went to help Georgia pick a movie.

We left for home just after lunch.  I dreaded going home because I knew it would go back to the same-old-same-old.  As usually Georgia and I sat together in the back and stayed mostly silent.  What wasn’t usual was that Dad reached over and took Mom’s hand.  They must have held hands for half of the drive.  It was odd, but it did make me feel good.

The next three days weren’t so bad.  Mom and Dad got along and Georgia was allowed to go out with her friends.  I made several trips to the fort in the woods.  That’s when I missed Chris the most.  He had helped me build it and I wished he was still around.  I knew he was still at Russ’ house because Georgia told me.

I enjoyed my last few days of school.  We mostly played games.  We had our field day on Wednesday.  I felt free because of how well it was going at home.  I was able to have fun with my friends and laugh a lot.  I was very excited that we would leave for the lake in the morning.  I knew Johnny and I would have a great week.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.7K 3.9K 186
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...
592K 2.2K 63
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!
124K 5.4K 55
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းကတစ်ယောက်နှင့်တစ်ယောက်မတည့်တဲ့ကောင်လေးနှစ်ယောက်ကအလှလေးတစ်ယောက်ကိုအပြိုင်အဆိုင်လိုက်ကြရာက မိဘတွေရဲ့အတင်းအကြပ်စီစဉ်ပေးမှုကြောင့်တစ်ယောက်အပေါ...
4M 86.6K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...