My Bestfriend's Enemy (editin...

By Wonderments

High School isn’t the easiest for everyone. Camila, Dinah, Normani and Ally all struggle with what many teens... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - "Cause of death: Lauren freaking Jauregui"
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (teaser)
Chapter 30
Chapter 31: The Letter
Chapter 32: Losing Her Was Blue
Chapter 33: You Again
Chapter 34: Three Words
Epilogue
New book

Chapter 5

23.5K 649 117
By Wonderments

Lauren’s POV

A week passed since I last spoke to Camila in the hallway and to say that I hadn’t thought about the girl would be a blatant lie. More often than not I found my mind completely immersed with thoughts about the brunette and it was driving me insane.

I thought she was still mad at me for what I had told her, correction, I knew she was still mad, and she had every reason to be after the way I treated her. There was nothing I wanted more than to simply talk to her again, which was weird because I had only spoken to her once and it didn’t end well at all. 

Only thing stopping me from grabbing her whenever I passed her in the hallway was the Populars and her group of friends. Wherever I seemed to encounter the girl one of us was usually occupied with a friend or two, which didn’t make it any better because regardless of what Camila claimed she clearly didn’t want any of them to know that we had spoken.

I wasn’t that girl Camila wanted me to be, but she was right, I was simply trying to survive High School in my own way, like everybody else, but along the way I had made some horrible choices and never really suffered the consequences, until now.

Not being able to contact Camila was punishment enough and I let out a sigh of despair, shutting my locker firmly I picked up my soccer shoes.  

I glanced up just in time to watch her walking towards me. My heart skipped a beat before her gaze locked with mine and  I gave her a probing smile. As expected she didn’t return it and surely broke the gaze, carrying on with the conversation she was having Ally.

I kept stealing glances of her as the whole way until she passed me and was too far away for me to see her face. Fuck Lauren, I muttered to myself, Why did you have to screw up so badly?

They stopped by their lockers a few meters away and I couldn’t help my attention that seemed to constantly focus on Camila’s figure. Which was why a breath hitched in my throat as I met Ally’s gaze. Effectively I looked passed her to the chalkboard hanging on the wall. 

Hopefully Ally hadn’t caught me staring too much. I could only imagine the trouble Camila would have to endure if Ally ended up with any suspicions.

Ally hated me. It was obvious in her eyes when she looked at me, and truthfully I didn’t blame her.

The Populars, led by me had been after her ever since the whole Carlos-incident and we basically did anything in our power to we ruin her life. All from tripping her in the hallway or embarrassing her publicly.

Camila probably hadn’t told her about our talk, which I completely understand. It was just easier to forget that we spoke because then maybe I could trick my mind to believe that it never happened.

I nearly jumped when I felt someone’s arm around my shoulders. Swinging around to the person he planted a sweet peck on my lips and startled by the gesture I took a step back.

“Babe, what is wrong?” He asked worriedly,  

“Sorry Luis. You just scared me..” I forced a smile, locking my arms around my boyfriend’s neck.

“Want some company on the way to practice?” He offered kindly and I nodded, grabbing his hand in mind, guilty disappointed of the lack of spark I walked with him to the field.

-

Ally’s POV

As if tolerating Lauren Jauregui’s horrible glares when we were in the canteen or crossing path with her wasn’t enough we also had to withstand the intense stare when we stood by our lookers. Good Lord, doesn’t she have anything better to do? I thought, there was no secret that I hated Lauren with a strong passion.

Although last week was the only time she had really been the main person to actually physically pester me I hadn’t much to spare for the queen. Usually Lauren only stood in the background, watching her friends carry out all these horrible acts but I refused to let her fool me.

I knew she was the one in charge.

Everyone thought I was all lovey-dovey, much to blame to my small size and the fact that I actually enjoyed being kind to others. Something people did better in not misinterpret about me was that I am by no mean gullible.

There was something different about Lauren this week. The way she had been looking at Camila, constantly searching after some eye-contact that Camila never offered her had been extremely unusual. I meant, not even on accident had she met Lauren’s gaze.

Normally Lauren wouldn’t spare us a single glance in kindness, but lately she hadn’t had the same disgust in her eyes when we passed her. I was glad that the Populars had backed off a bit, but I also had a creeping suspicion that it had something to do with Camila. 

I couldn’t shake off the feeling that something had happened between the two of them and I fully respected Camila private life and that she could make whatever choices she liked, but she was my bestfriend. I couldn’t let her get too close to the one girl I hated more than anything.

-

Camila’s POV

I avoided Lauren’s look as if my life depended on it. It wasn’t difficult to figure out that she wanted some sort of contact, but instead I kept engaging in the conversation with Ally as we walked past her in the hallway.

Everyone saw her as this fearless bitch, always in control and the leader of the Populars; An unreachable clique that made life miserable for everyone on the outside.

If I hadn’t met the real Lauren in our encounter the other day I would probably agree, but I couldn’t shake off the sense of it being more to the ice-queen than anyone knew.

Truth was that Lauren Jauregui was attractive, much more than I’d care to admit, but she was also utterly normal, which was intriguing. She had her own insecurities like everyone else but still she was so extremely good at hiding them.

Her personality seemed almost split, like she showed one part of her to the world, but a bigger and much more important part remained hidden under layers of sarcastic comments.

No matter what, Lauren’s true self would always be a mystery and I was not willing to risk my friendship with Ally for a girl who I didn’t even know who was. Especially not for a girl who has caused so much pain the last years.

Stumbling into my last class of the day I shot a quick glance over the desks, immediately spotting Veronica Iglesias and her friends on her usual spot. If looks could kill I was sure I would be lying dead in a pool of my own blood with a dagger stabbed to my heart.

Unfortunately her terrifying nature still managed to scare the crap out of me but I kept my posture, rolling my eyes as I walked to her and stretched out my hand with the assignment I’d written.

“You’re too late, class started about five minutes ago. Didn’t your parents raised you well enough to learn you to get on point? I already got detention you idiot. I can’t even discuss this with you right now. Leave.” She waved me off, her attention already returning to her friends. 

Anger rose within me at her nonchalance and in my head spun the words I wanted to say, “says you? Forcing people to do your homework, just because you’re an idiot.” But I never dared to say those words out loud and she would never have listened anyway.

Somehow, every single time Veronica spoke to me I became speechless. She was a maniac with no boundaries or respect for anyone, except perhaps Lauren and Lucy, but that was it.

I slid into my seat and as soon as the bell rang I rushed to my locker and shoved my books in impatiently, my eyes constantly looking nervously to my sides as I grabbed my bag.

Standing up again I heard a loud smack before my right cheek was on fire. My eyes started to sting uncomfortably but I gritted my teeth, my hand instinctively reaching for the burning spot.

The pain was indescribable and in the end I had to surrender to the tears as they flowed down my cheek, alleviating the stinging slightly. I opened my eyes and through my tears I was surprised to see a shocked Lauren staring at me from across the hall, her backpack in one hand and her jaw dropped to the floor.

“What the hell Vero?” She bursted out before running towards me and I allowed her hands to cup my cheek. The green in her eyes in front of me grew more intense as she noticed the obvious redness that appeared.

Quickly Lauren wiped my tears away with her thumbs before turning to Veronica and if I had thought that seeing Veronica pissed was frightening it was nothing compared to the look Lauren was currently sending her friend in this moment.

“Come on Laur, she deserved it. Cabello here has to learn the rules of High School. This is our school and since when did you start to stick up for the losers?” Veronica laughed, but I could hear the clear hesitance behind her words. Clearly she hadn’t expected to receive this sort of reaction from her friend.

I stared at Lauren, awaiting her reply like everyone who’d gathered around to watch the improbable scene. Lauren stood with her fists clenched and at that point I had no idea what she would do, her expression was unreadable but she looked anything but happy.

Eventually, and to everyone’s surprise Lauren laughed and placed her hands on her hips, giving them all a glimpse of the Lauren they were used to.

“You have no idea how wrong you are Vero. This isn’t our school, but mine. Which means that you follow my rules and like everybody else, if you break them you are out.” Lauren stated with a superior voice that bounced off the walls with authority.

The whole crowd went silent around, presumably waiting in anticipation of Veronica’s reaction. I knew I was.

“Alright, what are your rules then, all-mighty Lauren?” Veronica joked, raising her hands in a mocking tribute, but there was something about her posture not being so confident anymore. Suddenly she wasn’t as threatening anymore, her 

“Hm…first rule; From now on you’ll leave Camila and her friends alone.” She ordered, giving Veronica no chance to debate she continued. “Second rule, and this might be the hardest one for you to achieve…stop being a bitch.” Lauren added with a smirk and some of the people around started laughing but soon coughed it down as Veronica sent them all a warning glare.

It hadn’t occurred to me earlier, but now I finally realized what influence Lauren had, not only on me but on her friends too.

Lauren turned to the crowd with a grumbling expression before she mumbled a low, get lost, in-between gritted teeth and disappeared, leaving me without any form of explanation and instead she had filled my head with a million questions more.

Lauren Jauregui had ensured my friends and I a free-pass, which I was both confused and grateful for, but I couldn’t help questioning why. 

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Bad News By Giny

Fanfiction

2.4M 69.7K 57
Lauren is a smart girl and kind of nerdy. She only has two friends at school, Normani and Dinah. She's had a small crush on the mysterious badass Cam...
599K 36.4K 101
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
562K 7.8K 78
••complete•• where lauren finds a quote of a song on a bench and decides to answer. sequel of post-it♡
308K 8.4K 29
Do you remember the one that you love? And the one that love you? Lauren does, but will Camila regain her memory after the accident?