Painted

De Lusera

The discovery of an injured and amnesiac young boy changed Elbe's life forever. Without knowing the real reas... Mais

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Fourteen

4 6 0
De Lusera

"Master, are you alright?" Mikiel went round and round his master, mewing in concern. It has been eight hours since Cain disappeared. Elbe sat on the ground, unmoving. Her right hand was still clutching her chest tightly; as if she's suffering from some kind of pain but it didn't show on her face. At last, Mikiel gave up and trotted up the stairs, leaving her all alone.

When she noticed that her behaviour's getting abnormal, she got up and straightened her back. The garden was empty and the gates were open wide. They looked like they were welcoming someone. She wanted to look for him but was unsure of his whereabouts. The bright sun pierced her porcelain skin and she winced in pain. Without realizing it, she halted when a familiar smell entered her nostrils. It's the smell of the sea. She pursed her lips and tried to remember when was the last time she'd been to a beach.

A beautiful girl sat on the cliff, playing her harp. That part of the beach doesn't have much visitors. And so, she had claimed this spot to be hers. She glanced up and Elbe approached her. Her eyes lit up in recognition and she slid off the cliff to welcome her. "Hey, what brings you here?"

"Arya." Elbe whispered quietly as she took the seat on one huge boulder. It was covered in shells and dried seaweed but she still sat all the same. "Do you think...that maybe I was...being too heartless?"

Arya sat on the sand just right next to Elbe and shook her head. "What makes you think that? As far as I know, you're a good person."

"The process is terrifying to some mortals." This statement of Elbe's made Arya frown.

"Process of making what?" She inquired, tugging at her hair, absentmindedly.

"You know who I am, don't you? I'm sure Lisa would have told you." Elbe muttered.

Arya looked a little blank at first but she gradually began to understand where this conversation is heading and nodded, smiling a little. "Ah, it was a story that has been passed down to Lisa by Elizabeth. Fancy meeting you here. SO...do you...remember who Elizabeth is to you?"

"I'm sorry. I don't know who's Elizabeth."

"Eh?" Arya exclaimed, shaking her head in disapproval. She opened her mouth to speak again but was silenced by an unknown force. Elbe noticed that and let it pass because Elbe knew that it's something she mustn't know. "Ah, well, whatever. About the process, I'm not so sure but you've been helping countless people with your powers. It's not a bad thing. Look at how beautiful this town is! It's all due to your meddling." Arya spread her arms wide, proudly but Elbe hung her head in distress.

"He thinks that I'm doing something horrible. He saw the process and was terrified by it."

"A mortal, huh? Well, that means it's meant to be. The Fates wanted him to know. If so, then you should have explained everything to him!" Arya demanded, reaching out to lift Elbe's face. "Don't feel so dejected!"

"I don't know where he went. I've been searching for him for hours and ended up here."

"This is just a small town. I'm sure you'll eventually find him. But he's just a mortal. Why do you care about him that much?" Arya got up, dusting the sand from her feathers.

"No reason. I just felt that he's someone dear to me." Elbe whispered.

"Ah, so you love him!" Arya grinned cheekily at her while raising her eyebrows repeatedly.

"Love?" She asked with a confused tone. Once again, her hand went to her chest automatically. Arya observed all this and her suspicions were confirmed. Without another word, she plunged back into the sea.

"One day, you'll understand it, Elbe! For now, just find him and sort out the misunderstandings." She waved after swimming for some distance and disappeared into the other world.

"Love..." She whispered, gazing at the seagulls flying about.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Everything about this cottage is queer. It's a combination of both house and shop. I sat on the couch while the old woman prepared something on the stove. It smells sweet and bitter at the same time so I wonder how the taste will turn out to be when it's ready. I dare not think about it. "Um, what should I call you?" I asked uncertainly. If I don't know her name, it'll be hard to converse.

"Payne Teague." She answered shortly. I smiled at the weird surname and decided that it wouldn't be nice to ask about it. "Here!" She placed a bowl of orange liquid in front of me and invited me to taste it. "It's good for your health."

Grabbing the wooden spoon on the table, I placed a spoonful into my mouth and gulped the liquid down. I gasped at the unique taste. Payne chuckled and raised her eyebrows. I gave her a thumbs-up. I never knew that this could taste so good. "What's this made from?"

"Oh, you wouldn't want to know. It's best for you to just drink it without any questions."

I shrugged and finished everything while it's hot because I hate cold stuff. The windows were open and a slight breeze entered the room. The wallpaper was peeling off and the curtains looked worn as they fluttered in the wind. "Are you...perhaps a witch?" I asked uncertainly.

Her eyes twinkled as she fixed her gaze on me. "And what do you think, boy?"

"My name's Cain!" I protested. I hate being called 'boy'. It sounds so much like how she used to call me.

"Alright, Cain it is. Now tell me, what do you think?" She had a warm smile and crinkled eyes. She looked kind. I doubt that she's an evil witch.

"You look like one but the good type." This made her laugh wholeheartedly. She laughed until her tears came out. I stared at her dumbfounded. I didn't expect this coming. "Hey, stop it!" I cried out, feeling a little uncomfortable.

She held up a hand and wiped her tears away using the other. "Sounds good!" She paused and tried to regain her composure while I stared out of the window. The grass looked really green and fresh. When the wind blows, I could actually smell them.

"Do you love them? The sight of them calms you. Isn't that right?" Payne commented, almost in a whisper. She got up and I could have sworn I heard her bones crack a little as she hobbled to the window. Her long white hair blew all around her face. Without all those wrinkles located at her cheeks and corners of her eyes, she would have been pretty even though she looks pretty old.

"I've never seen grass this green before. This feels like a magical place." I replied, voicing out my opinion. I would prefer to stay here if it's possible but still, home is always the best place. "Payne, do you think it's in your power to cure amnesia?" I asked, uncertainly and hopeful at the same time.

She stared at me for quite some time before shaking her head sadly. "I'm afraid I can't."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

"Elbe!" A shout brought me back to reality. The rustling leaves on the ground and cloudy day made the garden look gloomier as usual. Gluttony walked down the cobblestone pathway, all the way to the gazebo. Sitting with my legs crossed, I sipped my tea while I held a hand up to signal to Mikiel for another cup of tea.

The guest lowered herself onto the bench, shaking her dark curls playfully to air them. Heaving a sigh, she fixed her eyes on mine. "Do you still remember the contract?" I gave a nod in reply. Mikiel returned with my requests and placed them in front of the guest which beamed at him gratefully. Grabbing a fistful of biscuits, she shoveled them into her mouth.

"Good!" She spoke with her mouth full. A few crumbs escaped from her lips and landed on the surface of her tea, floating about in a queer manner. "Everything will end tomorrow. You'll finally be free. Here, take this. It's what we promised."

A shiny red object was placed on the table. It's a rose carved out of a block of coloured crystal. It might seem like it's just a normal piece of decorative item but it holds a deeper meaning to it. This object signifies the end of everything. Slowly, I reached out to take it, cuddling it lightly in my cupped hands. My heart twisted in pain; though I wonder what is it for. Shouldn't I be happy? Isn't this what I've always wanted?

Gluttony noticed my behaviour and silently gulped her tea down. Grabbing a napkin from a metal holder, she wiped her lips vigorously. "Now, listen. That rose will grant your wish. I take it that you know the consequences if your original wish was changed."

"Yes, I know. This rose is mine. I'll decide what I'll do with it." I whispered. Gluttony shrugged. She didn't ask for leftovers today, I noted. Usually she'll order Mikiel to bring more food since she's hungry all the time.

"Great! The rest of my sisters will pay you a visit sometime in the evening. Well then, I'll be off now! Got to catch the train to the nearest city. Seems like they have several food carnivals going on. Farewell!" Gluttony got up and waved, lips curved into a smile which will probably be the last one she's giving me.

Mikiel watched her go, waving his tail enthusiastically. "Master, does that mean we'll able to leave this town?" He sounded quite cheerful. He hated living in the mundane world and if possible, he would have liked to leave this place as soon as possible.

"Yeah. You'll be able to go back to where you truly belong." I whispered, unable to define the feeling in my heart. Why does it hurt so much? I drew a deep breath and diverted my attention to the rose. With this, I'll be able to make my wish come true. I wanted to feel the burst of happiness I've always felt a few decades ago when I thought about my half-completed goal. However, I felt nothing except sorrow. Something soft nuzzled my arm. Mikiel purred and glanced up with worried eyes.

I shook my head and nodded, indicating that there's nothing to worry about. "I'm really looking forward to that day. I really am. SO you can stop looking at me with those eyes."

"If you say so, master." He went silent, tapping his paws gently on the table while enjoying the patting he receive. "I don't think he'll be back anymore." He broke the silence. I froze and felt the pain increase. Instantly, Mikiel knew but he chose to keep quiet.

Leaping off the table and making a perfect landing, he turned slightly with a growl. "Isn't this a part of emotions? You've changed, Elbe. You've successfully felt the major part of emotions."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

There's a new weighing scale in bathroom. I groaned and smashed my fists against the wall in anger. It's must been mum's doing. I hate how she's being considerate. Instead of being a help, she's being a bother! I grabbed the weighing scale and threw it out of the window. I hate weighing myself because I know the results is going to be mind-blowing. I mean, I know I'm fat but I just can't seem to control my appetite or stick according to my lose weight plan. My phone beeped. This melody is one I've heard many times. "Ah! The number." I muttered when I noticed that it's the one my cousin promised to send. Fingering my belly fat, I decided that this couldn't go on any longer.

The town square was packed with fat people dressed in tracksuits. Several of them turned to look at me and I gave them a smile of which they returned. The instructor was a beautiful woman with a slender and curvy body. Grabbing a loudspeaker from the ground, she yelled into it. "Attention, people! Now that everyone has gathered here, let's do some aerobic exercises. Now, I'll give you the instructions and you all follow them! If I catch anyone slacking off or not performing properly, I'll give them a spanking!" She held up a cane threateningly. The crowd murmured. "Alright, here we go!"

She slammed her hand on the radio and music began blaring out of it. At first the pace was not bad but after a few minutes, it started getting worse. I could have sworn a devil's tugging me forcefully into Hell.

The aerobic exercises ended well. All of us flopped to the ground as soon as she hit the 'stop' button. I gasped repeatedly, trying to regain my breath. My legs and arms felt numb. It's impossible for me to stand any longer. The girl beside me seems to be in the same condition as I am. Her face was pale and her breathing seems shallow. She gave me a thumbs-up when I gave her a knowing smile.

"Alright, get up!" The woman yelled and all of us groaned. "No excuses or groaning!" We got up immediately. I pushed my heavy body up, forcing my legs to withstand the weight of my body. The rest of the session went smoothly as it's only about the types of food one must and must not take.

Mum greeted me with a hug when I got home. Looks like she haven't found the broken weighing scale yet, I thought. Otherwise she wouldn't be this nice. "I made your favourite pie, darling. Go take a bath and come down for lunch."

"I'm not hungry." I muttered before rushing up the stairs to avoid getting questioned. Things always get pretty hyped up whenever this topic arise. I could hear faint shouting as I head for my room. Once I get in, I'll be fine. Daring myself to take a peek of my reflection at the mirror, I head over to the dressing table. I didn't fully destroy the mirrors. I did keep one for future use.

What I saw next was a nightmare but deep down in my heart, I'm sure it'll turn into a wonderful dream. My cheeks were flushed pink and sweat was glistening on my neck. Looks like I've became a little healthier.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
KALBE SAPLANAN OK De Ebru

Ficção Adolescente

17M 653K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...