One-shots

By einsy1c

Imagined stories More

conversations of the heart
swim
exhausted
comfort
bed scene
cycle
imagined: conyo
you're my baby
crush
challenge accepted -- mascot hiphop
stain
homecoming
blessing
alaga
messages
sick
saudade
dinner
signal
salubong
home
duyan
swing
under the weather
tired
smile
birthday
kids at play
long-haul
diner
after show
tampuhan
sunduan
rest
fever
fever 2
awkward
ebb
workout
bagsak
sneeze
stranded
RaMen special
kubo
blog
unwell
passport
Chino
under the stars
winter
pabaon
silk jammies
celebrate
transfer
fever
cross continent
confined
coming home
hard
intertwined
parking lot
VisiTor
pepsquad
new studio
glow
health scare
retribution
Forever You will Be

weary

1.1K 67 2
By einsy1c

Maine pulled the door closed behind her and nodded to Rogelio who was standing nearby. Rogelio positioned himself at the door.  As Maine moved away, the group followed her.  She stopped at the visitor's lounge, far away from the door, and turned to the crowd.

"...call me a bitch, suplada, madamot, nag-t-tantrums, whatever you want....but please, Alden is sick....pagpahingahin po natin para gumaling sya agad....diba yun naman ang gusto natin lahat? Na mapasaya kayo at maka-trabaho kami ng maayos?....so please.....thank you sa pagdalaw....sasabihin ko sa kanya na dumalaw kayo...." she smiled a weary smile and walked away.

Some in the crowd bowed their heads as Maine spoke and smiled at her, putting their phones away as quickly as they snatched them up with hopes for a chance photo or video. But seeing her sad, worried expression made them think twice.

A few others still took photos and shrugged their shoulders, feeling defeated for not being able to accomplish their mission of seeing the patient; probably plotting a way how.

Maine was also feeling a bit under the weather herself. Long, tiring nights have taken a toll on her body, pulling down her immune system and giving her a slight fever. Her monthly dino attack also came. "What better timing!" Maine could only sigh in despair.  She walked quietly to the hospital's chapel to pray.  She was tired, too, but needed to be strong for her Rj.

After their last commitment the previous night, Rj already felt and looked sick. But, being the bull-headed workaholic that he was, he still went to work the following morning.  By midday day, with a hacking cough and rising temperature, his team and family forced him to go to the hospital.  He was reluctant but because he was really feeling weak and unwell, he gave in. Maine received news from him later that day via text.

"How are you feeling now? I'll be there after work..."

"Groggy. Please come."

"Yes. I'll be there soon. Rest , Tans."

He wanted to tell her that he was scared. He felt helpless and alone.  He hated the hospital.  He had been traumatized by his mother's death.  The doctors told him that he had to have a tonsillectomy.  He had been prone to respiratory infections all his life.  His now swollen tonsils made things worse. Surgery was the only option he had to help him be less prone to illness. He was internally freaking out when he heard about it as the doctors spoke to his dad.

"....yes sir, tomorrow morning....we'll manage his fever first then do the surgery...."

"Don't worry, it's a quick procedure....you'll be back in your room in no time....." the doctor turned to address Rj who obviously looked stressed at what he was hearing. If not for his sore throat and feebleness due to body aches and fever, he would have complained.

"Doc....pwede bang mag-request ng 'no visitors allowed'?" Richard, Rj's dad, asked.

"Oo naman, sir....I was also going to recommend bed rest for about 2 to 3 days....given the nature of his work, he needs to rest din po...."

"Yes please, doc....salamat...."

When the doctor left and Rj was finally settled in his room, he called for his dad.

"....natatakot po ako....si Maine...." Rj tried to speak but his throat hurt so he just typed on his phone.

"....wag kang mag-alala....andito kami.....bukas nalang ng umaga, i-t-text ko agad sya....."

Rj nodded and closed his eyes.  Soon, the medication he was given to lower his temperature was kicking in and he fell asleep.

Maine found out that they had rushed Rj to the hospital while at work. Though she wanted to be by him, she also needed to take care of herself. She had work to finish so she only communicated with him via messaging.

"Are you okay?

"....how about you?"

".... If you want to sleep, go ahead. You need it."

"I miss you..."

"Sus! We were just together last night and earlier...."

Rj didn't reply anymore. Maine, although antsy for him to send her a message, understood. Besides, she was working also.

Maine arrived later in the day after work.  Rj was sleeping so she quietly slipped into his room and sat on the couch by his bedside next to his dad.

"Kamusta sya, Tito?"

"Ok naman....na tonsillectomy sya kaninang umaga.....kakabalik lang din nya dito sa room....."

"Ahh....kawawa naman...."

"Eh ikaw? Kamusta pakiramdam mo? Rinig ko nagka-sinat ka rin...."

"Opo....okay na po ako....konting ubo nalang......naulanan din kasi kami sa taping e....."

"Oo nga....malat na si J nung Tuesday....napanood ko sa TV....."

"Opo....tapos nung gabi, trabaho pa rin kami kahit na lumuluha na sya sa lagnat...."

"Haay....sobra-sobra naman kasi magtrabaho yan e...."

"....kayod kwarenta anyos..." Maine shook her head while looking at Rj.

"Mga anak....wag ganun.....kailangan din magpahinga....."

"Oo nga po.....lagi ko pong sinasabi kay J yan....."

Daddy Richard stood up. "Iwan muna kita dito, okay? May tatanong lang ako sa nurse....kung gusto mo kumain, may pagkain dyan sa ref....dala ni April...."

"Sige po....dito lang po ako....thank you, Tito...."

A long while later, Rj slowly started to stir.  Maine stood up from the couch and approached the bed, gently stroking his hair.

"Hi..." Maine said sweetly and smiled. She kissed him on the cheek.

Rj smiled and opened his mouth. He tried to speak but closed his mouth and winced at the discomfort he was feeling.

"Don't force it...." Maine said. "....you just got out from surgery.....rest....."

Rj forced a smile then asked for his phone.  He typed, "Hi Miss Maine....thank you for being here....I love you...."

"I love you too...."

"Masakit...."

"I know....your throat is still sore....pero sabi ng doctor, mamaya-maya, okay ka na....."

"I'm hungry...."

"Ahh...wait...let me ask if you can eat...."

Just then, a nurse came in to check on Rj. "Ah good, gising na po kayo, Sir..." she checked on his vitals.

"....nagugutom na daw sya...." Maine told the nurse.

"....ah ganun po ba? Ang alam ko po, pwede na....pero confirm ko lang....sandali lang po..." the nurse stepped out of the room for a few minutes. "....pwede na po....ice chips and gelatin lang muna....sir, soft diet muna kayo....nakalagay po kasi sa chart nyo na namamaga pa rin po yung throat nyo e...."

Rj nodded and Maine smiled, "....salamat...." he mouthed.

Maine fed Rj some gelatin which he had a few spoonfuls of then a sip of water.  A few minutes later, she rubbed ice chips on his lips to let it melt and let the cool water flow to his throat.  He took her hand away from his mouth and puckered up for a kiss.  She complied and kissed him tenderly.

".....ikaw talaga....maga pa yang lalamunan mo, diba?" Maine said, chuckling, as she resumed giving him ice to suck on.

Maine noticed that his eyes were getting droopy so she nodded. "Sige...sleep na...."

Maine heard a commotion outside Rj's room.  She came out to find a group of people, pleading with the Rogelio who was standing at the door, to let them visit.  The door side panel already had a "strictly no visitors allowed" sign so the Rogelio just stood his ground, unmoving.

When the group saw Maine, there was a slight commotion so she motioned for them to follow her to the lounge.  At the chapel, she prayed for Rj's well-being and recovery and for the fans to understand their situation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 32 6
This is a work of fiction. Not suitable for young readers below 18. Read at your own risk and please do not report🔞
1M 18.7K 9
" Noon pa man, dapat alam mo na iyon. Hindi ko man sabihin sa 'yo, dapat alam mo na. Hindi kita uuwian gabi gabi kung hindi kita mahal." - Keith Fran...
2M 32.9K 32
Psychopath Series #1 She has a genuine smile, her heart is fragile, kindness is her appearance and love is what she gives. But people take advantage...
Gapang By vhfc_13

Short Story

2.4K 23 23
Enjoy reading!! (credit to the rightful owner)