Nethermost Realm: Prisoner of...

By Meredithskye

(Harry Potter meets Hunger Games!) Book One Rian, a 17 year old boy from Earth, is transported to alternate m... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58

Chapter 49

142 17 0
By Meredithskye

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

49

Once both Arryk and Azure had swore an allegiance to Rian, to defer to him in the Challenge, they all ate and drank until late: Azure, Barris, Braejeunné, Arryk, Rhana, Quince and Rian.

When the celebration was over, Arryk and Braejeunné helped Rian and Quince finish fortifying the new sections of the fortress with protection spells. Barris left with Azure, promising to check in on Kyran.

They dispelled Rian's old cell and he was given a room of his own in the new tower. He went to bed early that night, tired from a long day.

* * * * * * * * *

It had to be the middle of the night when something woke him.

"Rian, get up!" Rian opened his eyes to see Arryk hovering over him. In a panic, he realized that he had forgot to set any armor or blade turn spells that night. He was defenseless. But as he woke more and got his eyes opened, he realized that Arryk wasn't attacking him. He sat up.

"It's Kyran," said Arryk. "We have to go now." The prince's voice was urgent.

Kyran?

Without argument, Rian grabbed his tunic and shoes and put them on. He rushed out after Arryk, who ran down the stairs and through the hall to the entry-point. "What is it?" asked Rian, on the way.

"I don't know," said Arryk. "But Barris's sending was very urgent."

Rian nodded. Arryk set the teleport spell and they materialized in the Arena. Rian would have run out but Arryk stopped him. He set another teleport spell, instantly, they were both teleported to the Sky Tower in Arlunn, where Rian's brother, Kyran, had been a prisoner since they'd both arrived what felt like months ago.

The guards made no effort to stop the two as they ran up the steps and into the tower. There, Rian saw a horrifying sight.

One of the guards, Lask, knelt on the floor, holding his head with an expression of pain stuck on his face--immobilized. This was the same guard who had earlier drawn his sword on Kyran and threatened him.

Kyran stood in the center of the room, his eyes glowing red. Green misty remnants of power swirled around him. In his hand, a bright green ball of energy resided. It shifted and changed color and shape, as if Kye were picking a spell and he hadn't settled on one.

Barris was already there, on the other side of the room. Arryk joined Barris, keeping well back from the magic-spawn.

Ehina stood on the side of the tower, with her sword drawn. She looked as though she might attack.

Rian stiffened. He saw how this encounter would go--terribly. Kyran had drawn out the life-force of the guard. He'd seen this before when Kyran was in Molan's power. Now Kyran could use that power to cast a powerful spell—and all the spells that Kyran may have learned from Molan were dangerous spells.

Rian took a few steps towards Kyran, wanting to gain control of the situation somehow. If Ehina attacked, it could be disastrous. "Kyran, what have you done?"

Kyran gave Rian a miserable look. He knew that he was in trouble. "They want to kill me! I've seen it in his mind! Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry," said Rian. "I never meant to leave you alone." It was Arryk's fault. Arryk had prevented him from returning—kept him in the Interstitium.

Rian took a deep breath. He should never had let the Arlunni bring Kyran here. The Arlunni had never trusted him. Kye was still only 10 years old; he was just a child--no matter what the Arlunni said. Too young to spend his life as a prisoner. If only Rian had been here for him, instead of off in the Interstitium getting caught up in the Challenge ... as if that was important!

Kyran had always been a strange little kid. And he'd never been able to handle emotions. Rian could feel his fear. Uncontrolled. The room was filled with it--fear and anger.

Ehina made a movement as though getting ready to attack. "Stop," said Rian, looking her way. "Don't move."

"He has to be dealt with," she breathed, unnerved by the situation. She had no idea what to expect from Kyran.

"I'll deal with it," said Rian. He took another few steps towards his brother. He tried to fill his mind with calm, they way they'd taught him when he was meditating.

"You have to calm down, Kye," he said. "Everything will be all right." Almost, he thought he saw the red drain a little from Kyran's eyes. But then it got worse.

"No, it won't! They want to destroy me!" Kyran glanced accusingly at Ehina, and his eyes flashed bright red again.

Rian didn't doubt it, but it was the Arlunni who had brought Kyran back from the dead when Molan was killed. Ehina, in fact.

Now, Rian had to do something, before the situation got out of hand. Rian took a step towards him. It wasn't the first time he'd had to calm his brother. He was good at it--but it was the first time his brother had possession of terrible magicks.

"Kyran," he said in his most soothing big-brother tone. "Look at me." The boy looked up at him with those red eyes, the raw magic power in his left hand changed from green to red to gold, ready to cast a spell. Rian reached towards Kyran with his mind. They had done a mind-link once before and since then, Rian had mind-linked with others. If he could just get through, then he might be able to calm his brother down.

Rian felt as if he connected with something, as though he had slipped into the outer layer of Kyran's mind. It was a whorling vortex of anger, pain and fear. Rian felt a sense of panic. Perhaps too much of Molan remained in Kyran. Part of what made up Kyran's soul had come from the evil mage. But the other part had come Rian's own father, whose life had been taken when the magic-spawn had been created. Kyran looked over at Ehina, who took a few steps closer.

"Look at me," Rian commanded Kyran. Kyran's gaze snapped back to him. Slowly, Rian collected all the calm he could muster and tried to pour it into Kyran. "We'll figure this out. Everything will be fine."

Kyran stared up at Rian, almost mesmerized, as though relinquishing some of his control. Rian took a deep breath. It felt invasive, but he moved deeper into Kyran's mind. He felt the raw magical power stored in his brother. He had to diffuse it. To do that, he'd have to cast some spells. That was the only way he could think of. Rian had learned a lot about spellcasting from Arryk, but Kyran had knowledge of spells left over from his time as Molan's magic-spawn—blood magic spells. Knowledge of many of these spells now hovered near the surface of Kyran's thought, as though he planned to cast one.

Rian could see the spell Kyran had cast on the guard, a mental attack, combined with drawing the guard's life-force out in order to have spellcasting energy. There was a reverse version of this. He couldn't put the life-force back into the guard, but he might be able to free the guard's mind. Rian directed Kyran's mind to begin forming this spell.

Then, together, Rian and Kyran prepared the spell until the power in Kyran's left hand changed to a dark purple. "Cast," commanded Rian.

Kyran raised his hand and cast the spell at the guard who's mind was stuck in agony. The spell went off and hit the guard, whose muscles relaxed. He fell to the ground.

"No!" shouted Ehina, moving forward. Kyran's eyes immediately went red and looked at her.

"Stop!" Rian commanded Ehina, holding up his hand.

She faltered and stopped. He gave her a forbidding glance. She could see Kyran clearly. He'd almost lost control of Kyran in that moment. But he reached back in his brother's mind. The power had to be used up.

This time Rian used a spell that he knew, a simple healing spell. He formed it, speaking the incantation, then he allowed the spell to go over to Kyran, using Kyran's energy. "Cast," he commanded. Kyran cast the spell at the guard.

Ehina watched in horrified fascination, as did Barris and Arryk.

The guard blinked and sat up, but not very far nor very fast.

Rian breathed a sigh of relief. It was working. He could undo what Kyran had carelessly done.

Now Kyran's mind had begun to calm down. His eyes no longer glowed bright red, just a dull red. The stolen life-force he'd taken from the guard was almost used up.

With the remaining energy, Rian prepared a low level armor spell for Kyran. "Cast," he said.

"Kothar solis," said Kyran, casting the spell.

One more should do it. Rian helped Kyran prepare the deflect blade spell.

"Shakli kan!" said Kyran, setting the blade turn spell on himself.

"You see?" said Rian to Kyran, now that the energy was all used up. "It's all right."

Kyran still trembled slightly from the ordeal, but he was unharmed. He smiled wanly back at Rian.

But it had been close. Rian hugged Kyran; and Kyran hugged him back tightly. "I missed you," said Kyran, close to tears.

"I missed you, too," said Rian.

"What is going on?" demanded a voice. Rian stood. It was Genesse, the Matrizar of Arlunn, standing in the doorway with two castle mages. Emmara stood behind her. Seeing Genesse out of the palace was rare, a condescension for her, Rian was sure. How long had she been standing there? Had she seen Rian casting spells with Kyran?

Rian took a few steps towards her. "The guard is alive. I believe he will recover."

She drew closer, followed by the mages and Emmara. She stared at Kyran, then gave Rian a withering glance. "You knew he could cast magic spells?"

It was an accusation. It was impossible to lie to an Arlunni. Genesse would know if he tried it. Of course, he hadn't wanted any of them to know Kyran could cast.

"I helped him cast those last few spells. He didn't do it on his own," argued Rian. But by the look on the Matrizar's face, that wasn't any better. Rian had heard that magic-spawn were like blank books—had he written on that book? Did it count as making a claim on Kyran?

"You knew that the magic-spawn was tainted with the blood magic of Molan, and yet you entered his mind?" demanded Genesse.

Now Rian felt guilty. Kyran held great power and wasn't something to be trifled with. She disapproved. "I had to help him use up the life-force energy he'd taken, or else ...." Truthfully, Rian wasn't sure what would have happened. Now, he fervently wished he could lie, but what had happened here couldn't be concealed.

"Bonding with a magic-spawn is dark magic," said Genesse. "The dark magicks cannot be mixed with the life magicks that we practice. They aren't compatible."

Rian stared at her. "I'm sorry," he repeated, not sure how to rectify the situation. How did he get to be the bad guy? "Kyran attacked the guard. I saved his life!" said Rian.

"Silence," said the Enchantress. "Bring him," said Genesse, turning on her heal to go.

Frustrated, Rian turned to see Ehina behind him, her sword still drawn and now it pointed at him.

"Rian, don't go!" shouted Kyran. He ran over and grabbed Rian by the arm. Poor Kyran. Rian had left him alone for over a month and now he had to leave without a chance to talk to his little brother? And what would the Arlunni do in his absence?

Rian put his hand on Kyran's shoulder. "Stay here," he said. "And stay calm. I'll be back." He hoped it was true.

Reluctantly, Rian headed for the door, hating to leave Kyran alone—not now. On the way out, Rian stopped in front of Arryk, who was now sworn to help him. He wasn't sure if this meant that he could give orders, as Arryk had, but if so—he'd take advantage of that.

"Stay with him," ordered Rian, looking at Arryk. The mage-prince didn't refuse. Escorted by Ehina, Rian followed Genesse out. The two castle mages stayed with Kyran, as did Jiss and Catla, Ehina's sisters who stood near the door.

Emmara followed next to Ehina, as the procession marched Rian up to the castle, as though he were some kind of criminal. Genesse had two of her own guards with her, as well as Ehina and Emmara to guard Rian.

Now, Rian thought furiously of a way to talk himself out of this situation. Was Genesse going to lecture Rian or question him? He wasn't sure where this was going.

They followed Genesse into the castle and down several hallways.

"Where are we going?" asked Rian. Ehina didn't answer. This situation didn't bode well. After a few turns, Rian knew where they were going ... to the dungeon.

He stopped. "Now wait a minute!" But Ehina pushed Rian forward.

"You will come with us," she commanded; she still had her sword drawn.

Frustrated, Rian thought that he might be a match for her. He could summon a phantom sword. But surely Ehina would have magic of her own.

Finally, he acquiesced and kept moving. They went down the long narrow stairway to the dungeon and to the same room they had taken Kyran. Rian tried again to stop but they only forced him into the room.

Genesse was waiting there with a solemn look. "You will submit to a mind-scan."

"No. There is no way I'm going to do that! I am the Favored Heir of Cathal. You can't make me!"

"You will not be the Favored Heir for long. If you do not submit to a mind-scan, I will have you thrown out of the game. And by law, once you withdraw from the Challenge, you will lose your title as Favored Heir. Since you are not the prince of any realm, you will have no title—and no power." She stared at Rian.

"You can't do that!"

"I can and I will!" threatened Genesse. "And once that happens, you will submit to a mind-scan, after which, we will extradite you to Chuness. You choose!"

And Kyran would be left alone in their custody. They would be free to do whatever they wanted to him.

Rian felt frustrated. There was nothing else he could do. He stared sullenly at Genesse. "Very well," he said at last. Reluctantly, he sat in the iron chair. As soon as he did, they secured his hands and then his feet with leather straps. "What is that for?" asked Rian, with a sinking feeling.

"Just a precaution," said Genesse.

She strode over to him and he felt her mind enter his. The mind-scan had begun. He felt her looking at the encounter just now with Kyran, how Rian had mindlinked to him and was able to do the spellcasting.

It felt very invasive, having someone in his head, looking at his memories. He only endured it for the sake of helping Kyran.

But once the Matrizar had finished looking at the incident in the tower, she moved deeper into Rian's memories, to look at his activities in the Interstitium with Arryk and the others.

Now, Rian got angry. He struggled against her and managed to eject her from his mind. "That's enough. That's personal. You've seen what you needed to see."

"Risni daria!" said Genesse, waving her hand at Rian. Immediately, his mind grew fuzzy. This was like Arryk's daze spell, but much deeper. He couldn't move, couldn't speak.

Stop! he shouted at her with his mind.

His mind hovered on the edge of sleep, barely aware of anything. He could no longer feel where Genesse searched through his mind, and he couldn't wake up.

Slowly, his mind slipped into a fog.

+ - + - + - + - + - + -

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, encourage me to write more--please click "vote."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14 8 10
In a world where magic is hidden away, a boy named Quill Madison gets tangled up in an extraordinary adventure. After aiding the escape of an evil sp...
31 0 10
For generations, the descendants of the Fae King have been receiving pieces of a prophecy. It has been foretold that a chosen one will come to save A...
6.6K 1.4K 109
| 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 | RUTHLESS POLITICS Aster Jacques' predecessor is dead, his capital ruined, and his people struggling...
15.5K 2.7K 78
| 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 • 𝗔𝗺𝗯𝘆𝘀 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿 | ONE RUN-AWAY PRINCE Prince Aster Jacques will one day rule the Q...