His Diamond. Her Rock

By njspeaks

Zion Marley just got her dream job fresh out of college as a Human Resource Assistant. She has been working h... More

Ain't No Way
Let it Flow
Love at First Glance?
The Besties
Pour it Up Pour it Up
Work Work
So Anxious
In This Club
I Don't Like To Share
You Cold.
I'm not His Girlfriend
Mean Flirt
Friends?
Baby Mama
Prude
Halo
The Aftermath
Good Idea?
I Take His Ass to Red Lobster
Big Bro
No Matter What
Ca(o)raline
Acceptance
Hickies and Turtlenecks
Sensitive
Grimy
Best Birthday Ever
Limp
Meet the Rents
That Ex
Act Right
I Like Drama
Family Introductions.
Daddy Issues
Don't Trip
Attitude Problem
Chano for Mayor
The Thug or Navy Boy
Three Months Ago
Forever and Always
I'm not His Girlfriend (Remake)
I'm His Diamond
Epilogue Part 1
Epilogue Part two: The End
Update 1 (The Blanket)
Update 2 HDHR
New Book Alert!

You Better

5.7K 318 73
By njspeaks

Zion's POV

I sat in my bedroom with my door locked, music loud, and T.V. on, while I tried to focus on my work. I was in a conference call with Walter to make sure we got the work done on time and accurately.

"Zion, the Catrina signed up for benefits last month and she still isn't in the system. Whats going on? You usually don't let things like this slip." His face was etched in concern.

"I could have sworn I put her on there last week." I ruffled through my papers. My head was all over the place.

"Maybe we should take a break we have been at this all morning its creeping on 1:30. I'm starving would you like to join me for a bite to eat." I inwardly rolled my eyes. No way was I going through that again.

"Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather finish this, I'll see you Monday." I hung up and turned down the music. I listened out to hear if Naomi and AJ were still here. When I heard no noise I crept out to grab something to eat. I was at the fridge reaching for the bread to make a sandwich when I heard a throat clear. I tensed up then slowly turned around to see Naomi standing there in her pajama shorts and crop top with her arms crossed.

"Hey Ni." Fuck I did not want to talk to her.

"Don't hey Ni me. Where the fuck were you?"

"Working. I do have a job Ni. I can't drop everything anytime you guys want me to." I rolled my eyes at her and continued buttering my bread.

"Zion, you have been working for the last month. I know you have a job, but you have a boyfriend too." I scoffed at her comment.

"He knows I have a job."

"Does he? Cause last I heard he hasn't heard from you in a month. He told me you packed up all your stuff you had over there and moved it back here."

"I'm paying for an apartment. Thought I might as well use it." I finally finished my sandwich and took a bite.

"You told me you were going to be at his place last night. Why did you lie?"

"How do you know I wasn't?" I looked at her challengingly.

"Because I asked him what you guys had planned for the night, and he said he didn't know what I was talking about. He said he hasn't seen you since the night he told you about the tour." She sat on one of the bar stools.

"Well, maybe I told you the wrong night." I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"No. You lied. To me and him. He misses you." I avoid eye contact with her as I took a sip of my water.

"Okay. And your point is?" This conversation is quickly becoming exactly what I wanted to avoid.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked me, her features softening, she walked towards me. I backed up quickly and maneuvered around her. I turned around to look at her as I closed my bedroom door.

"You know why." I turned around to see my phone ringing. Of course it was him and of course I wasn't going to answer it.

After I let the call run and he left a message. My dad called, I reluctantly answered.

"Hello?"

"Hi Dad."

"Zion. Your mother and I were calling to make sure you were still coming to the gathering next weekend." His voice was strong deep and professional.

"Yes Sir."

"You need to be more responsible and answer the reservations we sent you. We didn't send those for our health you know. We taught you better than this." I rolled my eyes.

"I'll do better next time, sir. I apologize." There wasn't going to be a next time the only reason I agreed to this time is because I thought I would have KB with me, but now I'm not too sure I want to see him again.

"You better." He hung up. I tossed my phone on my desk and laid on my bed, I tucked my head into the crook of my arm and just laid there. I imagined KB holding me like usual. I imagine us making jokes with each other, and taking turns petting Bella. I imagined kissing his soft lips, and how his large hands were able to keep me so close. I imagined us being happy together without him leaving me just like everyone else.

Did I miss him? Hell yes, he was one of my best friends. I can't just forget about the past months we spent together. But he is leaving and I have to protect my heart, yes he is coming back, yes we are technically still together. But he could easily forget about me, he could find a new girl. A skinnier one too. He could decide that I'm not good enough for him. He could simply never come back.

Other people don't understand what it's like to always be left behind. But I do, so in order to avoid the pain, I just push them away before they do it to me. I thought Ant- KB was different but he isn't, he is going to leave me just like everyone else. So I have to push him out of my heart before he leaves my life.

****

The week flew by quickly. I was able to put my mind to the tasks and straighten up everything that I messed up in the past month. I had packed my luggage and flew out to one of my parent's vacation homes in Maine. Why my dad wanted to throw his birthday party here, the world may never know. I think it's to show off one of their lavish properties.

The car they had sent for me rolled up to the big gate. I rolled my window down and input the code. When the gate opened the car moved forward, dropping me and my luggage at the front door. I knocked on the door and Maria, their travel 'maid' answered the door. I smiled brightly at her, I hadn't seen her in so long.

"Maria, I've missed you so much!"

She hugged me and smiled.

"Zion you need to come around more often. I have missed you." Maria is a middle aged black woman that loves to travel. And clean. She has the best job if you like those two things. And can put up with my parents.

"I know. It's just hard to be around them sometimes." I had tears in my eyes, I missed her so much.

"I know little one. I wish I could knock some sense into them sometimes. Tell them that you are their daughter. Not a trophy to take off the shelf to shine occasionally." She wiped my tears.

Maria always understood how I felt about my parents. She has been working for my parents since I was in the 8th grade so she has seen how they treat me.

"Are they here?" I looked up the stairs

"Yes they are in their bedroom I'll put your bags away."

I wanted to argue but I knew it was best to let her do her thing. If my parents heard that I brought up my own bags we would both get a lecture. I knocked on my parents door and entered when I hear an answer. My mother is in and out of her closet looking for different outfits. And my dad sits on a chair smoking a cigar and reading the newspaper.

"Hello mother. Father"

I give them gentle hugs.

"Where is your little friend that you made such a big deal about bringing?" My mother said. Shit I forgot I told her KB was coming

My father squinted his eyes, and looked at me confused

"You must be talking about Naomi." I internally laughed my Naomi hates my parents.

My mother shook her head.

"No Evan, she said she has a boyfriend and she is bringing him as he plus one." She looked at my dad smirking.

"He better not be a thug we raised you better than that." My dad said then went back to smoking his cigar.

"I know you didn't travel in that. I've told you about always dressing nice when traveling you never know who you might meet." My mother looks at my outfit in disgust. I'm wearing jean shorts and a ripped t-shirt. I secretly roll my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at your mother Zion Yvonne." My dad looks at me with serious eyes.
"Anyway go get changed so that we can great company for dinner." My mother went back into her closet.

"I thought it was just going to be us for dinner tonight. Isn't the party tomorrow?"
They both laughed at me.

"No one has one night parties anymore. Besides if it was just the three of us. There would be no one to show our stuff off to. Plus what would the three of us have to talk about? Now go change." My mother shooed me out of their bedroom.

I quietly left their room and walked all the way down the hall and around the corner to my bedroom. The Maine vacation home was always one of my favorites. My bedroom was the best it sat on the backside of the house, far away from my parents and it faced the sea. We always had some type of sea food when we came here, and it was always delicious. I noticed Maria put my clothes away, so I grabbed an outfit my mother would like more and walked into my bathroom to take a shower.

Once I was done I stepped out and dried my hair. I had a towel wrapped around my body tightly. My parents hate when I wear my weave so I took it out for the weekend. I heard my bedroom door open. But ignored it thinking it was Maria with more bedsheets and towels. I started to lotion up my mody and then tended to my hair again.

I heard my bathroom door open, I turned to see not Maria but-

"Zion... Baby?"

Who do you think it is?

What do you guys think about Zion's parents? 

They don't seem that bad.

A whole month without talking to your boo. But you still together, where they do that at?

I'm getting slow with the updates and I'm so sorry! I have a plan and I just can't seem to get it on paper. 

As always, Comments, Suggestions, and Constructive Criticism is always welcome!!!

Until next time 😘😘😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 46K 42
When tragedy strikes Marley's family, the last thing she is looking for is love-until Elijah, her nephew's teacher, shows her it's worth fighting for...
191K 9.9K 62
**Highest Ranks**: #1 in BodyPositive #40 in ChickLit "Beauty has no weight limit." Standing at a height of 5'9 and weighing 220lbs, Lennon Jennings...
1.1M 42.8K 42
Vanessa: There's nothing I hate in this world more than I do Aaron Sinclair. Hate is the only word for it. It's not dislike, it's not envy. It's res...
3K 144 101
"It ain't nothing like lovin' you" Franchise first of five 1. Lovin' (Edwin's Story)✔ 2. Lying (Zion's Story) 3. Heaven (Brandon's Story) 4. RIP...