Love Unbound (Ram - Leela)

By nandithabharath

In remote village of Gujarat across Rann of Kutch two clans Kathiawar and Jadeja’s have been in war with each... More

Teaser Trailer
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 1

1.5K 47 20
By nandithabharath

Leela took the usual route as everyday towards the edge of the village which over saw Rann of Kutch. She sat on a rock cliff and took in the beautiful sight in front of her. The salt marsh of desert appeared to be running dead straight to the horizon. The full moon in the dark blue sky on the top of white sand gave the whole place a mystical aura.

It was the western most state of India; Kutch, on one side had Arabian area and other side desert. The night was hot and humid, but pleasant cool breeze was blowing.

Sound of folk music was floating with the wind from the group of nomads from nearby. They had gathered around the fire to keep themselves warm at night and were singing the tales of Jada, a Rajput ruler who had found Kutch.

After spending some peaceful time there Leela signed and started towards her house through the narrow paths of the village. The village was fairly quiet at that late hour.

Leela’s village was one of the flourishing village’s with booming textile, farming and cattle industry. The roads and houses were pretty decent.

As she neared her house she smiled at the magnificent structure in front of her.

It was a huge house with nearly 15 members of her joint family residing there. The house had wooden pillars supported around the house and the main door had beautiful craving on the wood. The house itself was 100 years old, but recently some modern amenities were added retaining the old era exteriors.

Her father Durga Kathiawar was the head of the village. Her family had been in that village from generations and owned most of the agricultural land surrounding the village. Their family had established business in other areas like textile and dairy industry.

This village was also hub of illegal activities like weaponry and drug smuggling as it was close to Kandla Port. Many claimed that Leela’s father Durga Kathiawar and his sons were heading these activities in the region but none have been proven by local police yet. There fortune had grown during her father’s time but had taken quantum leap during her three brother’s regime.

Leela skipped up to the landing to the door in two’s step and pushed open the enormous teak doors. The house was filled with chatter’s and laughter’s of ladies and children.

Her three brothers Arjun, Pratap and Rana were playing cards. Rana the youngest was not yet married. Her two sister– in –law's Urvashi and Charu were chatting with her mother Saraswati. Three little kids Aditya, Navya and Vishnu were playing.

The servants were serving lassi and paan. The house was filled with warmth and joy.  Leela felt totally content seeing her family.

As Leela entered the house her brother’s looked at her and gave her a knowing smile. Then they all turned and looked towards their mother to see her reaction.

Her mom saw Leela and gave her a disapproving shake of head. Saraswati Devi was a very proud woman and had great pride in her children. She was proud of the fact that her kids were very good looking.

She looked at her daughter lovingly, Leela was 20yrs old tall at 5 10’ with very slim frame with curves in the right places like a fashion model. She had a dusky complexion with golden glow. She had long black hair which framed her beautiful face. Her eyes where light chocolate brown with thick black lashes, but the most attractive feature was her dimpled cheeks, pearl lined teeth and tempting full lips.

Leela was dressed in traditional green chaniyo with glass pieces and sea shells work, red choli and a chunri. Added to it were simply dangling’s, a dozen of bangles, a small bindi on her forehead. She looked stunning. When she smiled it lit up the whole place.

Leela slowly approached her mother and gave her a hug. Her mother instantly smiled at her.

Sarawati Devi did not like that Leela went out alone during nights towards the border. She feared for her safety as there was ongoing feud with the neighboring village.

It was a century’s old dispute which let to wars for many years between Jadeja rulers and small group of rebels from Kathiawar tribe but now due to government and police intervention there has not been a war for many years. Instead of war now there were other troubles like kidnapping, extortion and murders. There have been unpleasant incidents on both the sides for warring communities.

Leela mother said little annoyed “Leela, how many times I tell you not to go out alone in the dark, that too near the border where those Jadeja’s can easily target you?”

“Ba, you are worrying unnecessarily those cowards will not dare come near our village, even if they do, you know very well I am more than capable of taking care of myself. After all baba has bought me a gun for my safety.” Leela said calmly.

Saraswati Devi replied irritated “Like father like daughter, I do not understand your father even. What kind of man thinks of getting his daughter a gun for her 16th birthday?”

 “The best kind Ba! The best kind” Leela replied with a huge smile. Her mother gave up and hugged her back as she knew trying to control her was impossible.

Leela walked towards her brothers who were enjoying themselves looking at this everyday mother daughter’s argument.

She unlatched a small hand gun from her waist and held it in front of her brother Rana pouting, “Bhai, I think the lock is jammed I am not able to fire it. We were trying to shoot at the raw mangoes today from neighboring farm and it did not work?”

Rana frowned and took the gun from her “Leela we have a 400acres of farming land having all kind of fruits still why do you need to steal mangoes from neighboring farm? This gun was given for your protection not to play around”. Leela just struck her tongue out at him and walked away.

Leela’s brother Rana, was the youngest among the three brothers at 25years he was standing tall at 6 1’ with rippling muscles and hard chiseled feature he was a very handsome guy. He also had as Leela dimpled cheeks which made all the local girls fall hard for him.

Just then Durga Kathiawar pushed open the main door and entered. All the chattered and laughter grew silent instantly.

Leela’s father was very tall person at 6 2’ with broad shoulders and strong pillar like thighs. He was dressed in traditional white chorno and kediyu with red turban on his head. He used to be a wrestler during his times and had even got a small scar on his right brow which added an edge to his personality.

He was well respected person in his community and head of local village governance. Small disputes were resolved by him that arose with the village.

His hard intimidating eyes surveyed the scene in front of him and grew soft as soon as he saw his lovely daughter; a small smile appeared on his lips. Though he had three sons he was very fond of his only daughter which was a big thing, as even now in remote villages in India sons are given preference over daughters.

He came and sat beside his wife “As you are all aware I had been to meeting with cultural minister for the upcoming utsav” He said looking towards his sons, “I have promised Police chief to have a peaceful utsav unlike last year and expect everyone in the house to follow the same”.

“But baba last year it was those Jadejawalla’s mistake. We did not set the fire at the fair and left the wild bull in Market Street.” Rana said smirking.

Durga frowned “I do not care whose mistake it was I made a promise and intent to keep it. I do not want any more problems with the authorities. With the upcoming elections I have a clean image to keep up. Hope you all just remember that”. Rana just rolled his eyes.

Everyone started chatting exciting about the utsav again. It was the “Rann Utsav” which was held once every year. It is the celebration of the art, craft, music, dance, people and nature. During the full moon night of the winters amid the awe-inspiring and contrasting landscape each year a three day festive extravaganza brimming with hospitality, vigor and traditional flavor of the area is hosted and known as the Kutch or RannMahotsav. This attracts thousands of tourists each year and also one time of the year when crime rate will be lowest in the region.

The biggest attraction of Rann Utsav is the camel race and Durga’s camel was winning the race from past three years.

Comments and Votes Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming up next “Rann Utsav”

Picture of Rann of Kutch in moon light on the side------------------------------------>

Author’s Note:

Ba/Maa: Mother

Baba: Father

Bena: Sister

Bhai: Brother

Bhabhi :Sister - In - Law

Chaniyo: traditional Gujarati dress with long ankle length bright colour petticoat’s with work of glass piece on it.

Choli: Blouse

Bindi: A small decoration on forehead

Chunri: wide cloth draped around upper part of body for modesty.

Chorno: kurta worn as slacks

Kediyu: Short shirt like made of cotton

Social Message: Fight Female Foeticide

Over three crore unborn girls have been killed in India since independence. The ratio of live female births in India as compared to the number of live male births was an alarming 908 to 1,000. However, individuals and organizations across the country have been fighting this inhuman practice. In 1994, the Parliament enacted the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act to stop female foeticide and arrest the declining sex ratio at birth in India. In India it’s a crime to determine the sex of a child before the birth for this very reason.

Source: http://www.satyamevjayate.in/female-foeticide/femalefoeticide.aspx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.5M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...