Chapter 13

Rana had managed to get full account of how Captain Rajiv Sharma was killed. He had discussed with his brothers and decided to not act upon his information as they did not have any concrete evidence against Kanji ordering Captain's death. Rana was secretly worried about Leela's liaison with Ram and how much Ram was involved in Captain's killing. He was once again reminded how much cruel Kanji and his family were and feared about Leela's safety.

That night Leela was lazily lying on her bed and messaging Ram. He had not replied to her messages all day. She was getting increasingly worried about his safety. She knew at home her brothers were discussing about killing of some captain and they were all tensed. She worried if it was some way connected to Ram as she had heard Kanji name mentioned linked with captains death.

She could not hold back herself any longer and rang to Ram. His phone kept ringing for a long time and got disconnected. Feeling dejected Leela threw her phone on the bed and buried her head in her arms. Suddenly her phone started ringing, she scrambled fast and grabbed the phone, she saw that it was Ram calling and a huge smile broke on her lips.

"Ram, where were you? From yesterday you are not replying for my messages. Are you alright?" She asked breathlessly.

Ram just signed at the other end and said "Yes Leela I am alright. I was caught up with something and I could not reply to you. Forgive me my sweetheart."

Leela felt Ram's voice was heavy and he was not being forth coming with complete information as to why he was busy. But Leela sensed he was in distress and decided not to press in him more.

"That's ok Ram I just wanted to know you were alright. Actually my brothers were talking about some captain's death and heard that your brother was linked to it. I was worried that if you were also involved in it in some way. I am sorry Ram I shouldn't have judged you but I was only worried for you." She asked fearing his reply. She did not know how she would feel if she learnt even Ram had some hand in that captain's death.

When Ram spoke next it was just barely whisper, "Oh Leela, this is so hard. I saw that Kanji ordered killing of that captain. I swear Leela I tried by best to stop the killing but I failed. I am feeling so guilty I could not do anything to stop his death."

Leela was relieved to learn Ram had nothing to do with the killing and he was also feeling remorse for my helping the captain. She tried to cheer him the best she could over the phone "Let it go Ram things which have happened and over which we have no control, it's no use dwelling about it. I am just glad you do not encourage such mindless violence."

"Of course Leela I do not like such mindless violent acts. I cannot even turn Kanji to police. I cannot do that for my own brother. You are the only bright angel in the darkness of hatred surrounding me. Please don't ever leave me Leela, I will get lost in darkness without your light of love." He said very emotionally.

"I will never leave you Ram. Do not worry all the darkness around you can never affect you when you have so much light in your heart. I wish I was with you now." She said.

"Even I wish I was with you Leela but my bhai had known when I had crossed Rann last time. I will come to meet you let things cool down a bit here." Ram said sadly.

"Oh please be safe Ram come to meet me only when it's safe I will always be waiting for you at the edge of Rann." She hung up unable to talk anything else.

After tossing and turning in the bed for a long time sleep finally came to Leela.

*********************************

Ram was at last at peace from events of past two days. He found new energy after talking to Leela. He decided since he did not dare report against his own brother he should stop worrying about things he cannot control. He decided against informing his family at any point about his love for Leela. He witnessed their cruelty first hand and decided they may harm Leela without any second thoughts.