The Class Reject: A Martyr in...

By XxUCOxX

For Miren Eze, the past six months have been nonstop torture. After all, she doesn't know if she can trust Je... More

A Prelude | Introductions and Answers
A Prelude | The Cast
Act I | The Great Escape
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30 | sometime in the immediate, but unspecified future
31 | approximately four seconds later
32 | sometime before highschool
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
Act II | California Screaming
46 | Late Nights in La La Land
IMPORTANT VIDEO AUTHOR'S NOTE
47 | Santa Monica and Other Things That Start With 'S' Pt. 1
48 | Santa Monica and Other Things That Start with 'S' Pt. 2
49 | Malibu
50 | Hollywood Walk of Shame
51 | The Beverly Thrills Hotel Pt.1
52| The Beverly Thrills Hotel Pt.2
VIDEO Q&A FOR OCTOBER 1st
October Video Q&A!
FINALLY OFF OF HIATUS??
Q&A/Disclaimers
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
NEW CHAPTERS STARTING JUNE 1st? Video Below
SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING JUNE 1st - HERE IT IS!!!!
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71 | T-minus 7 Days
Book 3 Recap (before 13-chapter update/finale)
72 | T-minus 3 Days
73 | Prom(ise)
74 | Me
75 | That
76 | We Will
77 | Smile
78 | When
79 | It Is
80 | Finally
81 | Over
82
83
84
85
86 | Finale
Class Reject Series Live Stream

18

4.2K 264 23
By XxUCOxX

"I get that you don't want to be here, but stop scaring the Stanford rep." Edsel mumbled to Jeno before shaking hands with the man.

"Aren't you the one who forced me to be here?" Jeno frowned. Truthfully, he preferred this distraction much more than entertaining Penelope. It was still Saturday and she'd already texted seven times if he had plans. He hardly called entertaining a bunch of west coast college recruiters "plans" but he was trying not to complain.

"That was under the assumption that you'd actually be helpful." The headmaster entered the auditorium, which was filled with students who didn't have Ivy-League legacy status (aka the minority and scholarship students). So there were like twenty people. Seeing the lack of students, Edsel sighed dramatically. "I wish you guys would realize that mommy and daddy can't get you in if you don't even know how to apply. Do you know how most applications get rejected? It's because some students don't have enough sense to pay attention to admission guidelines." He motioned o the panel of recruiters. "And here are the admission guidelines in the flesh."

"But I've already applied—and been accepted—to better schools," he told his older brother. Edsel wrinkled his nose.

"It's not polite to brag," he informed him, moving toward the front of the stage. "Plus, why do you want to stay in New England? Do you know how nice California is?"

"I know how expensive it is," he murmured, handing Dr. Edsel the program he made him type up. "Anyway, you're on. I can't promise I'll stay the entire time. Or that anyone else well."

"Oh hush up." Edsel scoffed. "Remind me why you're humoring Miss Van Helsing, again? I'm not going to call her a slut, but the rumor mill says she's a gremlin in girls clothing." He shrugged. "Or she was, until she sent that video out about that Miren girl. " He shook his head. "It's a shame. They're as crazy as they're pretty."

"What do you care? You probably just think all of this is a game."

"I think everything is blown out of proportion." He shrugged. "And you're doing yourself no favors by getting caught in the cross fire." His gray eyes, intense and mocking, landed on Jeno. "Unless you're somehow playing a part in it. The truth always comes out."

"Not if there's nothing to come out with." The only thing he had to determine was whether Penelope or Miren was a lesbian. It made more sense for it to be the former, then again it was hard to make any solid conclusions when nothing actually made sense. Jeno pressed his lips together before taking a seat toward the front. "Break a leg."

To Jeno's amusement, the headmaster did stumble a little as he made it to the stage. He shot Jeno a look, but he easily deflected it. He introduced the speakers, most of which looked like bookish librarians who gave up on their dreams a long time ago despite looking around Edsel's age, and the bore fest continued in full throttle.

The UCLA rep actually made LA sound boring when someone nudged Jeno's shoulder. His eyes narrowed against the girl as she sat next to him.

"I'm back," she whispered in a sing-song voice. "What did I miss?"

"Nothing your rich parents can't sway the admissions committee with," he told her. She snickered a few bars as the rep turned toward their direction before continuing with whatever he was talking about.

"Unfortunately, my parents went to school abroad, so I have no connections here," she informed him, her attention toward the stage. "Oh, I talked to Miles a bit on the phone. He's helping with the hospital event the pre-med society is putting on. He seems nice. Heard you two have become chums lately." Her British accent was light yet taunting. "Ironic, because you don't seem all that nice."

"Is there something you want from me in particular?" Jeno said in a whisper. There was no one else in his row, and although the rep was now playing a flashy video about campus life, it was hard to shake off the sensation that someone would eavesdrop. Even with how brain-dread most of the students looked.

"I need more Rinzen boys for my documentary," she brushed a hand through her hair. "I already got Parker, and even Wallace offered an email, but I'd like at least two or three more guys. But barely anyone seems interested, and the ones who do have nothing useful to say."

"And what do you expect me to say? I didn't have a relationship with Miren." The audience began to clap as the University of Southern California recruiter went up.

"I honestly don't know." She lifted her shoulders. "But I know you have something of a rivalry with Parker, so maybe it would be cool to get your perspective on how you felt he treated Miren. Word on the street is that you're also talking to Penelope, so maybe you could offer your insight on whether or not you feel her actions have been valid. You come off as a reasonable person, so something tells me you wouldn't sugarcoat any of your information."

"I wouldn't," he agreed. "But that still doesn't mean I'll help you."

"Just think about it," she said softly. "I'm almost done, but adding your account should be incredibly simple."

"If you say so."

"Just be careful with Penelope. I know I'm trying my luck with my video, but a guy like you wouldn't mess with her unless they were up to something more than just getting in her trousers."

Jeno fought the urge to roll his eyes. The fact that it was more unbelievable for him to get a girl than Miles would have been insulting if the pool of girls to choose from wasn't so tragic. He clenched his jaw, sensing Olive wasn't quite done with her conclusions. She moved closer to him, dropping her voice below a whisper. "You're up to something and I want to know what it is."

"Besides spiting Parker?" he countered quickly, but perhaps too quickly. He cursed himself internally before frowning. "I had every desire to go out with Penelope, but he got to her first. I'm not saying we'll mount to anything, but it's senior year and I know I'll regret it forever if I don't tell her how I feel," he told Olive, hoping she'd believe his BS. "It's always been hard for me to show my emotions, and I know what I'm doing isn't completely right, but I don't need your judgment. Parker was cheating on her with Artemis and I'm pretty sure that when you kissed him you were aware of that."

"Fair enough," she slouched further into her seat as the next sucker took the stage. "I still don't trust you, though."

"Neither do I."

Then that was that. Silence bathed them as a multitude of thoughts bounced around their heads. It would have been a headache, but it beat actually paying attention to the presentation. Which was why Edsel, and Levi some rows back, were watching them out of boredom.

Or suspicion.

It was probably in suspicion.

***

"Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that you hate me for making you a rock star today?" Axel laughed as he drove his car. He didn't look like one to drive a Prius, but here she was, taking a joyride in a black hybrid vehicle. Some decals decorated the back window, offering it the originality it so desperately needed. Miren shook her head at the boy.

"If you ever ambush me like that again, you'll have to find a new groupie."

"But you're actually talented," he praised her. "You should be glad you got to share it with the world." She hated to admit it, but he was right. She was so used to hiding that she had forgotten what it felt like to be seen.

"Thank you for taking me out for a bite," she said instead, hoping to change the subject. It wasn't that she hated praise or anything; it was just that it would take time to get used to. Just like Axel's smile. Usually it looked perverted, but there was something genuine about it now.

"You mean our date?"

"You think it's that simple to capture a girl's affection?"

"I think you're playing hard to get, but I happen to like games," he informed her, taking a turn toward downtown. It was still daylight out, but the idea both comforted and bothered her. It would be easier to spot her during the day, then again, she hated walking around at night. Disguise or not.

They stopped in front of the public library, a contemporary looking building next to a Starbucks and a slew of other over-priced restaurants, and across from a chain grocery store. It was only about a twenty-minute walk from campus. Not bad, but performing was far more exhausting than it looked (then again, adrenaline only lasted so long), and boy was she exhausted.

"Here we are," he announced, turning off the ignition. "Are you sure you don't want me to take you home or something?"

"I have a boatload of homework to do and I'm technically not allowed to date," she lied, before realizing she wasn't lying. She shook her head. "My dad would probably castrate you on sight."

"Ouch," he winced before giving her a cheeky grin. "I guess I'll just have to be your dirty secret for now."

"Try the opposite," she almost retorted, giving him a polite look. "I had fun today. I really appreciate what you did for me, but I should go now." She opened the door, and stepped out. She made it to the steps of the place when Axel took her hand.

She blinked at him before noticing how close he was to her. His eyes were lidded as his free hand cupped her cheek and his lips moved toward hers. She closed her eyes, but it was hard to place what she was feeling. Dread came to mind first, but she instantly felt bad. She liked Axel a lot—liked the freedom and clarity he gave her. But she knew what she was doing was wrong. She was still running. Only this time it was into unsuspecting arms.

But the kiss did not come. She reopened her eyes, noticing that he was inspecting her in some capacity. She turned away, readjusting her sunglasses. "Is everything okay?"

Axel just pursed his lips in contemplation. He stared at her for another few seconds (naturally, it felt like an eternity) before his mouth parted. She could only hope his words wouldn't be destructive.

"Is there someone else?" he said in a voice that sounded as confused as she felt. She could only blink at him. He shook his head. "You seem to be really interested in me and the band, but when I leaned in to kiss you, you hesitated."

"What are you talking about?" she dismissed, shifting from his grip.

"Don't tell me you believe the rumors about me," he said, gritting his teeth in a weak smile. She fought the urge to roll her eyes. The boy had almost as many lies swirling around as she did. Like that he had once dated five virgins at once and deflowered them on the same day. Or that he was actually responsible for leaking Pen and Park's sex tape. Then again, it seemed quite possible for there to be some truth in these statements...

"It's not that."

"So it is something then?"

Miren pressed her lips together as she studied him. It wouldn't be hard to let him kiss her, in fact, a larger part of her than she cared to admit wouldn't mind it. But he was a serial womanizer, and the deeper she got into this, the harder it be to get out.

"Most of the guys in my school are tools and I haven't actually gotten around to dating anyone," she offered, glad she was technically telling the truth. "I like you, but—"

"—I'm coming on too strong?" he asked, his eyebrows furrowing. "Most of the girls I'm with seem eager to get with me." He scratched his head. "I know I sound like an ego maniac, but this has never happened before."

"Well, I'm sorry for ruining your kissing streak." She said, patting his cheek, feeling his slight stubble. "I guess I should go."

He caught her hand again before she could escape him. "Be the singer for my band."

She blinked at him. "Wait, what?"

"What can I say? I care about you and you're actually really good. It won't be a serious time commitment or anything, and I'll even stop making googly eyes at you, but you're not getting rid of me that easily."

"Didn't Quinn say that you weren't allowed to date people in the band?" she considered, before realizing that that didn't actually make sense. Between the three boys and a lesbian, that was virtually no problem. Until now.

"Rules were meant to be broken," he replied, ironically quoting one of his song lyrics. Just then, he stroked her cheek, stopping at her glasses. "Would it be wrong to ask if I could see you?"

She expected herself to tense, to start screaming bloody murder internally, but she felt calm. For over a month now, she had nowhere to be Miren. It was just Miles and Sara. Obedient nerd boy and rebellious girl groupie. And she could feel herself fading completely.

As she parted her mouth to respond, her phone vibrated in her pocket. She gave Axel an apologetic look before checking the message briefly.

Olive: Can you get the extra party supplies from your open house for the hospital event? Nurse Caldwell said to stick with blue and green. Which just so happen to be your school colors. Thanks!

"Nurse Caldwell?" she couldn't help but mumble out loud. Why does that sound so familiar?

"What's wrong?" It was weird seeing him look so concerned, but it wasn't as weird as the connections her brain was trying to make. "Wait, are you talking about Nancy Caldwell? My aunt?"

Her eyes only narrowed against his. "Um, yeah. There's some volunteer opportunity at the hospital next Saturday. My friend was asking me if I wanted to go for required community service hours. But it sounds boring, even if it is for a good cause."

"Oh." He deflated slightly, as if he were expecting her to suddenly declare her love for him or something. Damn, when the hell did I become a stud? "Now that you mention it, I did hear her go on about it. Said these two Roz girls were doing her a favor by taking over the kids' day event." He shrugged. "But hell, maybe I'm reading too much into it."

Or maybe he had dissected the situation perfectly.

The gears in her mind started to turn, and the intentions of Olive and Artemis' (how could she have not realized that she teamed up with her?!) actions were unveiled to her.

They weren't trying to help children or raise money for charity—no, that would be too easy. They were trying to get video evidence that she had stepped foot in that hospital the night she supposedly died. And with the police getting to the fire and recovering a body a couple hours before she visited Artemis...

It would be the first thing to expose her.

She closed her eyes, forcing down the rage and dread and more rage that threated to consume her. After several deep breaths, she reopened them, nodding at the boy who looked both confused and captivated by her. She smiled, but it was strained at best.

"I'm in," she said, pecking him gently on the cheek. He laughed. "And thank you."

"Anytime." With a wink he was off.

And it was on. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 335 10
This is the story of a man who gave his all to protect the one he loves and the woman who risked it all to love him. -------- This is a rewrite of Sn...
4M 86.5K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
612K 14.4K 46
R E Q U E S T S C L O S E D Some preferences I wrote for us beautiful brown beliebers :)
18.9K 331 6
get ready to look at dares and comment for truths and dares I hope you enjoy I can do all the people below •Nikki •Brandon •mackenzie •chole •zoey •...