Dearest Evelyn

By jynxii

A young girl feels her life is expected to be proper, but-with her three best guy friends, her first and only... More

Dearest Evelyn
-chapter 2-
-chapter 3-
-chapter 4-
-chapter 5-
-chapter 6-
-chapter 7-
-chapter 8-
-chapter 9-
-chapter 10-
-chapter 11-
-chapter12-
-chapter 13-
-chapter 14-
-chapter 15-
-chapter 16-
-chapter 17-
-chapter 18-
-chapter 19-
-chapter 20-
-chapter 21-
-chapter 22-
-chapter 23-
-chapter 24-
-chapter 25-
-chapter 26-
-chapter 27-
-chapter 28-
-chapter 29-
-chapter 30-
-chapter 31
-chapter 32-
-chapter 33-
-chapter 34-
-chapter 35-
-chapter 37-

-chapter 37-

29 0 0
By jynxii

We passed the castle within a few short minutes, and we remained on the outskirts of the King’s owned land. We were headed towards the vast forest on the opposite side of the small one at the castle, and I could only wonder what Mother had to show me here.

We talked about everything that had happened recently: father’s injury- and him laughing at me, Gwindire’s promise to Hector, Terrin’s ideas, Bacmand’s talents, the boy’s rowdy mouths . . . . It was quite much to catch up on.

Mother in return told me all the gossip of the castle. Apparently Joanna and Madeleine’s unexplained absences was causing a split amongst the court. Those who favored their innocence claimed the others had warded them off, while the accusers had claimed they fled in fear- knowing they’d be executed as witches. Apparently the King would have none of this, and many dinners were silent in his presence.

He had planned to leave and join his men soon.

“But we’re going to make everything better soon.” My mother was saying. “I have a deep secret to show you, that you mustn’t reveal to anyone. Anyone.”

“Yes ma’am.”                                    

We were deeper into the forest now. About two hours had passed. According to Mother, we were very close.

At her instructions, we dismounted our horses as we came upon the edge of the end of the forest. Well, it wasn’t the end exactly, but rather a small loop from the outside plains. Almost like an inlet or bay for an ocean, except with a field and trees here.

As my eyes adjusted to the sudden inlet of light on the small field, I noticed a well-built dwelling at the edge of the forest on the opposite side of the small field. It looked to be two-stories, with a stable in the back yard and a vast garden on the right side.

A few servants- to my surprise- where meandering about- some with laundry baskets, others at the stables and a few in the gardens. At our arrival, a few noticed our presence, and who I assumed to be the head maid gathered her skirts and made her way over from the laundry lines.

She bowed at my mother, giving a small curtsy to me.

“Lady Donatella. We’re happy you’ve made it safely back.”

Back?

“Thank you, Fiara.” My mother smiled.

Fiara called to two young boys by the stables. They sauntered over- they looked no more than ten each, and took the reins to Lance and my mother’s mare.

I let Geraldine hop into my arms before they led the horses away.

“I’ll go tell the Ladies.” Fiara bowed her head and rushed inside the lovely little cottage.

My mother gently took my hand and led me forward. I was amazed by this hidden little house in the forest break, as if it was a secret little getaway with all the pleasures and luxuries of the castle.

I loved it. I wondered if the estate that Gwindire’s father left to us was as wonderful as this. I couldn’t wait to go and see it. I’m sure if I wanted it- or even asked for it, Gwin would make sure I had my own little secret in the forest like this.

When the lady came back out- I marveled to see that it wasn’t the head maid Fiara. Instead . . . Queen Madeleine?!

My tried not to let my jaw drop. I was too flabbergasted to say a proper greeting, but bowed as my mother had.

“There you are, Donatella! I’ve been waiting!” she smiled warmly.

“Oh, Madeleine you know I had to wait on Eve.” My mother winked at me. “She says the boys are alive and well- healthier than ever, to be exact.”

“Good. Joanna worries.”

She was here too?! Oh I wanted to run inside and find her! I was overrun with joyous emotion, to know Joanna was safe and well!

“Come inside, come inside,” The Queen turned, seemingly sensing my elation. “Joanna just made tea.”

The smells of herbs and woodsy goodness greeted my nose, reminding me instantly of Joanna and of home. I smiled as I took in the good smells. Rosemary, lavender, lemon thyme, basil, moss, damp wood and a faint rosy smell enticed my nose.

“Evelyn!” Joanna’s voice awoke me from my daydream, and I caught a glimpse of her as she bounded into my arms. She hugged me tightly, crying out with joy. “Oh I’ve missed you so much! How is everything? Oh, little Geraldine! How is Terrin? The boys?”

I laughed. “Everything is fine! I promise.” I smiled when she leaned back.

She regained her composure, straightening her skirts. She was in a light, white chiffon gown, and no corset. I found her dress a bit funny- for she was always formal and wore bright colors, until I noticed her protruding stomach.

“Joanna!”

Her hand flew to her stomach. “I know . . . I know.”

“You’re . . . .” I couldn’t think of what to say. She was pregnant with obvious signs of a boy. What would Terrin think? The king? The entire castle?

I knew that by legend, witches were born, not made. So would everyone think of her as innocent now? Of course, that was utter nonsense. Witches were made. But no one would listen to that. And it being the prince’s child . . . .

I noticed Madeleine in the same condition.

I wanted to pass out from so much excitement. They were both pregnant! I couldn’t believe this. Would the castle think it a hoax? Or elaborate scheme?

Madeleine looked further along than Joanna.

“Sorry,” I said after a moment, realizing I was being rude. “You must tell Terrin, Joanna!”

“I . . . I don’t know.” She sat down at small, rickety, wooden kitchen table after we did. “I’ve debated it. But I simply can’t imagine his reaction.”

“I’ll tell him! He must understand!”

“Calm down Eve.” My mother gently said, pouring us all tea from a small blue china kettle.

Chamomile. It would definitely calm my nerves. I took in the woodsy taste with ease. I couldn’t put Joanna in worry or stress- or the queen for that matter. But Terrin had to know. Surely he’d want to know about his own child . . . .

“I’m about six months along.” Joanna patted my hand gently. “You shouldn’t worry over me.”

“I am.” I protested. “If Terrin knows about this child . . . he’ll put a stop to all this witch nonsense.”

She mournfully shook her head. “I just . . . can’t tell him.”

“Why not?”

“It isn’t simple, young Evelyn.” Madeleine spoke. “It is understandable for us both to be afraid of the king and prince’s reactions, but we simply can’t send a letter or messenger.”

“Yes, your highness.” I nodded meekly.

“It must be approached with caution,” my mother added. The queen nodded.

“How can we do it?” I asked.

“Well . . . I don’t know if I want to.” Joanna mumbled.

“Don’t say that!” I took her hand. “I know Terrin is worried about you. He’s repressing it. I can tell because I’ve known him all my life. He mentions not a word about life back home, or anyone at the castle, or his uncle or anybody or anything!”

“Terrin was always a ponderous boy.” My mother thoughtfully said. “Thought before acted.”

I nodded eagerly. “I know that he’d want to know.”

She twirled a long black curly lock around her finger. She was staring out the window over the kitchen counter. Her bright blue eyes seemed lost in thought.

Madeleine patted her shoulder gently. “Daughter, Eve does make a point.”

She nodded. “But . . . I’m afraid of what he’ll say.”

“When did you find out you were pregnant?” I asked.

She thought a moment. “A few days after your wedding.”

I studied her for a few seconds. “That doesn’t add up. That’s only been two months.”

“I know.”

I silently gasped. She had been in bed with Terrin before they were even married. That sort of thing was unheard of for a princess! But, knowing Terrin, that hadn’t surprised me one bit. I calmed down a bit.

“I couldn’t ever tell him because he’d hardly listen to a word I said when the accusations started. Plus it was bad timing. Then we had to leave . . . .”

 “I’m sorry, Joanna. He’ll understand. He’d have to. I know he’s stubborn and bit cocky sometimes, but he takes these things in great consideration.”

She only shrugged.

I frowned.

“Well, Ladies,” the queen spoke. “While you’re here, why don’t you stay a bit? We’d love the company, and I’d hate for you to leave after such a long journey.”

“Oh Madeleine that’d be lovely.” My mother spoke. “We greatly appreciate it.”

“My pleasure, Donatella. I owe you much anyways.”

“Much ado about nothing.” Mother waved her hand.

The two giggled like little girls, and I could only wonder what they had been like in their childhood together. Perhaps like Joanna and me. It only brought out their beauty and inner charm that only children gave off.

~

That night, I shared Joanna’s room. I hadn’t spoken on the Terrin subject to save her any anxiety. Instead, I caught her up on all that had happened while she was away, up until the day before.

I still couldn’t get over her stomach. When she had undressed for the night, I marveled at its smooth roundness, like a beige pearl. Only a few, small, scar-like and purple-ish stretch marks lined the very sides of her stomach.

“I fear he is going to be small.” She looked down with dismay. “He is rather late. I should be bigger than this. Like Mother. She is the same way along that I am.”

“What’s it like?” I asked. It seemed so very alien. Especially since I was an only child.

She smiled a bit, rubbing her bump gently. “It’s very . . . unique I suppose. It’s a sensation like no other. Sometimes I feel him move, and I can’t help but wonder how he is mine, inside me.”

I wanted to giggle. But I didn’t. “Does it hurt?”

She laughed. “No, but it will.”

I slightly smiled. It almost made me wonder why I wasn’t pregnant yet—but then again, I didn’t much care to be. Especially after what those bastard fools at camp had said . . . . Besides, I had too much to worry about right now to add a child in the picture. Hopefully Gwindire understood that.

~

For the next few days, I slowly convinced Joanna and the queen to have Terrin come to their secret dwelling. It was the best thing I could think of, considering it wasn’t exactly smart to put Joanna on the battlefield, being pregnant and in need of female companionship. I didn’t know crap about pregnancies, so I knew it wasn’t the best option to take her away from our mothers.

I was already writing the letter to my boys- Joanna insisted they all come if Terrin must, and she proofread it for me. I wanted to make sure I hadn’t insulted her in any way, so I let her write what she wanted as well.

When we sent the messenger away with the letter, we sat still under the setting sunlight, staring out over the horizon.

She gently took my hand.

“Eve?”

“Yes, Joanna?”

She hesitated. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. You’re my friend, my sister. I’d do anything for you. I know you’d do the same for me.”

She nodded, smiling gently.

~

Days passed. The tension seemed to tighten as the hours went by. The messenger had long ago returned, with no word of news from the boys, other than they had gotten the letter. Of course, no one mentioned Joanna in the letter, neither did the messenger as we had instructed- so no one knew of her mother either.

Joanna seemed to fidget more and more until I calmed her down. She seemed to be nervously excited, often wondering off into her mindless thoughts, looking towards the forest edge and simply sitting and staring out the window.

I had asked her mother if she had been acting like this a lot. Madeleine only nodded with a sympathetic look. She worried Joanna wasn’t taking her state well.

But Joanna seemed rather happy to be with child. It was just the complications of the matter that seemed to make her worry. I had no clue how to offer condolences, other than “It’ll be fine, Joanna. He’ll be happy for you both,” or “I’m sure he is just as worried about you.”

It was a lame attempt on my part, but I had no other clues as to what to do.

It was upon a maid’s notification that things finally came to a dawn. I rushed out excitedly beside my mother, stopping a short few feet away from the house at the three horses coming out of the forest at a gallop.

A smile crept onto my face as I recognized my boys. They had finally come. I had missed them more than I expected, and I was happier than ever to see them for a number of reasons.

They came to a slow halt in front of us, and Gwindire immediately dismounted Umbriver. Hector was on the left, with Terrin on the other side.

He ran to me and scooped me up, twirling me in the air once before setting me back down. He kissed me gently and then leaned back. He greeted my mother and turned back to me for questioning.

The plan was that Mother and I would prepare the boys for Joanna and Madeleine inside, so they waited in the kitchen. I wondered how Joanna was holding up.

“So,” Hector spoke first. “What’s the rush?”

“Yes, do tell. I had to convince Father you were having . . . baby problems.” Gwin smirked. “That’s the only way I could get the three of us away. We need to hurry back.”

“All in due time,” I calmed them. “There is something the three of you- especially you Terrin, need to know.”

They scrutinized me curiously.

“Is something wrong?” Gwin looked over me worriedly.

I shook my head. “No—“

“Are we going to do something insanely crazy?” Hector asked.

“Form a secret committee?” Terrin added.

“No, you silly little boys!” I laughed. “Something far different.”

“Well tell us, Eve. I have wars to fight.” Hector scoffed.

I rolled my eyes. He wasn’t being serious. He hated fighting, ironically enough. “If you’d shutup, I’d tell you.”

But an odd silence had fallen over them. I noticed how they were all staring over my shoulder, and before I could turn, Terrin slowly dismounted Guinevere. He was staring out towards the house, and for a slight moment, I panicked.

I turned to see Joanna standing only a few feet away from the door. Well crap, there went that plan. But I knew she could hardly contain herself. She hadn’t seen Terrin . . . in how long?

He remained rooted where he was, and I watched cautiously. Gwin put his hand on my shoulder- preventing me from interfering. Smart man.

“Joanna,” the whisper just escaped his lips.

She bit her lip, rooted to where she was.

He inched cautiously forward, as if he couldn’t really believe he was standing before her. He took careful note of her stomach, taking it all in with careful consideration.

The moment she ran into his embrace, I nearly fainted with sheer joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45 1 6
[INCOMPLETE] Rowan is a creature of great misunderstanding. In a world full of Mythical beings, his kind, the Anadin, are heavily hated by the whole...
13.8K 1.8K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
4.1K 93 36
Yn Malfoy is draco Malfoy's sister and she is coming to Hogwarts but she is different she has a secret that can get people killed and she gets take...
69K 676 20
"๐™„'๐™ก๐™ก ๐™จ๐™๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™– ๐™ง๐™š๐™–๐™ก ๐™ข๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™›๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™จ" ___ She had known him her whole life. He was her dad's best friend, and he had always...