Our Boys

By scotty_dog

Simon and JJ are adoptive dads to five very different boys. Follow this family of seven through the laughte... More

The Survivor
The Right Family
The Boys
The Arrival
The Puppy
The Tour
The New Room
The Paperwork
The First Week
The Detectives
The Shopping Trip
The Shopping Trip Pt. 2
The Name
The Illness
The Temperature
The Adoption
The Request
The Perfect Christmas
The Past
The Plasters
The Hospital
The Waking
The Real Angels
The Untold Memories
The Bath Time
The Interview
The Bad Thoughts
The Best Big Brother
The Troll King
Big Brothers, Little Brothers Pt. 1
Big Brothers, Little Brothers Pt. 2
Odds and Evens
Here Comes The Sun
Someone Else's Son Pt. 1
Someone Else's Son Pt. 2
Someone Else's Son Pt. 3
Someone Else's Son Pt. 4
Someone Else's Son Pt. 5
A Reckless Kid
Easter Gifts
Hey Harry
On the Streets Pt. 1
On the Streets Pt. 2
On The Streets Pt. 3
On The Streets Pt. 4
The Perfect Place
The Birdman Pt. 1
The Birdman Pt. 2
The Birdman Pt. 3
The Birdman Pt. 4
The Birdman Pt. 5
The Birdman Pt. 6
The Birdman Pt. 7
Two Sides of the Same Coin
Love Is Earned
Father and Son Pt. 1
Father and Son Pt. 2
Father and Son Pt. 3
Father and Son Pt. 4
Father and Son Pt. 5
Father and Son Pt. 6
Father and Son Pt. 7
Father and Son Pt. 8
My Story (Harry)
My Story (Vik)
Someone To Lean On
Uncle Cal Pt. 1
Uncle Cal Pt. 2

The Sleeping Boy

2.1K 61 5
By scotty_dog

A sudden crash made both Cal and the child jump and turn in surprise. Behind them, Simon was reaching for a second crate, grabbing it and flinging it to land near the first.

"No! Stop it!" Ethan lunged forward but was held back by a pair of strong arms wrapping around his chest. He screeched and began struggling wildly, his heels connecting with Cal's shins as he was lifted into the air. "Stop it! You're tearing it up!"

"Shh, Ethan, hey. It's all right. It's gonna be alright." But it wasn't all right and Cal found it hard to comfort the child while at the same time worrying about his friend.

The look on Simon's face was terrible to see. Raw pain and anger reflected in blue eyes that were windows to bad memories of his own. More crates were pulled free and the inner structure was slowly revealed.

"Make him stop! He's gonna wake up Josh!"

Shit, if only he could. "Don't worry Ethan, he won't. He won't disturb Josh."

Simon barely felt the rough, splintered wood as it bit into his palms. That pain was nothing compared to the aching tightness in his chest. A detached part of his mind was aware of the fact that Cal was holding Ethan and that his actions were upsetting the boy. That part of his mind could also coldly speculate on what he would find when the last box was removed and mocked the pointlessness of his efforts. Unfortunately Simon couldn't hear that calm voice of reason over the angry cries of his heart.

Children weren't supposed to die. Full stop. Not on the streets. Not in schools. Not in their homes. Not alone in empty shopping centres. Children were blessings. Sons, daughters, nieces, nephews.

His nephew.

Simon suddenly froze and drew in a deep breath of air; logic and reasoning slamming back into place once more. A second breath followed the first as he leaned heavily on the pile of crates. How many years had it been since Charlie's death? How many times had he relived that moment when he'd first learned of the car accident that had taken the lives of his brother and nephew? How many times had he given in to the pain and the guilt, blaming the world while at the same time wishing he could see his two family members once more?

He couldn't blame himself for the death of this homeless child; a child he hadn't even known existed until this day but he could mourn the passing of another innocent life. And he could at least see the child properly laid to rest.

Shifting another box revealed hidden planks that served as a makeshift roof. Two more crates and he had the central board cleared. Steeling himself for what he was about to see, Simon lifted the next piece of wood.

The orange street lights, filtered through dirty panes of glass, filled the empty shopping centre with a dim, almost red illumination. Broken windows and loose roofing panels admitted more of the beams of light that cut through the dust filled air like golden spotlights. One beam fell across the uncovered "home" revealing the tragedy within.

The child lay curled on his side, his head pillowed on a pale slender arm; his face hidden by dull, ragged locks of dark hair. A dark t-shirt and torn jeans covered the rest of his body leaving only his feet bare.

Slowly, carefully, Simon reached out his hand and gently uncovered the hidden face. His breath caught in his throat as he saw dark lashes rested across the too white flesh of a hollow, sunken cheek and lips slightly parted as if any moment a sleepy sigh might escape.

Dreaming of angels.

Blinking hard to clear his blurring vision; Simon gathered the limp body into his arms with the child's head resting on his shoulder. Physically, the burden was pitifully light but as Simon turned to Cal, he felt as if his spirit was crushed beneath an enormous weight of despair.

"Are you sure he won't wake Josh?"

"I...I'm sure." Cal unconsciously tightened his hold on Ethan as he watched Simon slowly approach with the other child.

Ethan didn't know what exactly to make of the tall man tearing up his home and now carrying his friend. But Josh was still asleep so maybe it was okay. Mr. Simon was lucky; Josh tended to be kind of grumpy when he got woken up before he was ready.

"Oh shit." JJ's voice trailed off into a horrified whisper as he saw his boyfriend and the boy in his arms. "Tell me that's not Josh and he's not..."

"JJ." Cal stopped him before he could say the terrible word in front of Ethan. "You haven't met Josh's friend yet. His name is Ethan."

"H'lo." Ethan looked at the new stranger with the funny big hair and felt an instant liking for the man.

"Oh, hey there kiddo." JJ met the bright gaze of the child and couldn't stop the smile that curled his lips. He was rewarded with a wide grin in return that sent a rush of warmth through his heart. His arms were reaching out almost automatically when a sudden cry made him jerk in surprise.

"Cal! JJ!"

Simon stared down at the face of the boy in his arms, his blue eyes wide as they focused on the parted lips. There! He hadn't imagined it!

"He's alive! Cal!" Dropping to his knees, Simon cradled the child in one arm and frantically searched for a pulse, his fingers trembling with emotion. Yes! Faint and erratic but definitely there.

"Guys are you ready for the taxi...?"

"He's alive! Deji, say hi to Ethan." Cal fairly tossed the boy into the confused younger man's arms. "Ethan, get Deji to tell you some jokes"

"H'lo." Ethan ran the fingers of one hand down the front of the new man's leather jacket and marvelled at how soft it felt. His gold chain was pretty cool too. Actually he looked a bit like Mr JJ.

"Hey kiddo. You don't have to keep stroking the jacket. I can tell you rate it but you don't need to be all over it"

"You talk funny. Say something else."

"Oh, great. I suddenly feel like I'm in a dog show. Speak Deji. Do tricks Deji." Though it sounded like he was truly put out, the young man emphasised certain words to make his speech pattern sound even stranger. Ethan's pleased giggle was a good reward. "Do you want me roll over or balance a ball on my nose?"

"Yeah!"

Deji did his best to keep Ethan distracted while turning so that he could watch his fellow friend's and brother as they attended to the other child, hoping the taxi driver was patient enough to wait. Then again, they might be calling for an ambulance instead.

"He's alive Cal! I can feel his pulse."

"Alright, Simon. Let me take a look at him." Cal pushed his friend's hand away so that he could also check the life signs. He controlled his own enthusiasm as he focused on his one emergency first aid course his mum had once forced him to go on, trying to remember what he'd learnt.

"His breathing is shallow, skin's too cool, pulse erratic, eyes are dull but pupils responsive. Probably dehydrated, I think I remember something about kidneys maybe shutting down... definitely malnourished." Despite the child's young age, Cal checked both arms for needle tracks and was relieved to see there were none. Gently, he began running his hands down the boy's chest, easily counting each rib, then the abdomen... a faint whimper made him stop.

"Here, lift his shirt, let me see his stomach."

The dirty cloth was pulled back to reveal another band of fabric wrapped and tied around the boy's waist. The material might have once been a pale yellow or off-white but a large, rust colored stained covered much of it.

"What the fuck?" Simon couldn't hold back the shocked exclamation.

Cal felt the same way but continued his examination, using JJ's penknife to cut away the bandage rather than fumble with the knot. "Not too bad, it did bleed a lot but someone's kept it clean. It looks a little red but I think it's healing. I'm no expert but I think cause he hasn't been eating much he can't replace the blood lost and he's probably had a fever which is why he's out of it."

Taking the new gauze, Cal ripped the plastic off. "Let me just cover ..."

"Cal?"

Strong fingers wrapped tightly around the man's wrist and a pair of piercing blue eyes demanded an answer.

"I can't tell you for sure, Si, I'm going off a three hour training course I took four years ago. I probably can't see a lot of the hidden stuff." And what he could see was that a more expert opinion was wanted. "Just looking at him I'd say a fifty-fifty chance. The actual bullet wound may not..."

"Bullet wound?!" This time it was JJ who interrupted, his dark brows drawing together in a surprised scowl.

"Well, look for yourself JJ, you've watched enough action films to notice a bullet wound when you see one." Cal gently but firmly freed his arm and proceeded to bandage the injury while he spoke.

Deji overheard enough of the conversation to understand that the injured boy had actually been shot. A sudden thought made him focus on the child in his arms.

"Ethan, have there been men with guns in this building?"

"Nuh-uh."

"Ah, well, so much for that theory..."

"But the trolls in the other building have guns."

"Trolls?"

Simon looked up as he heard the talk of guns. There'd been a few recent reports in the news and rumours going around that there were illegal arms dealers setting up shop in this part of London, who were supposedly responsible for three murders. Great, that was all they needed.

Ethan nodded his head and held his hands up to his face, cupping them around his eyes. "Yeah, they have big black eyes and they only come out at night. They've got guns and live under the floor." He looked over his shoulder to where the other men sat around his sleeping friend. "We was outside looking at stars and heard'em playing with their guns. Josh said we ought to come back inside and then he yelled really loudly and grabbed his belly."

Deji met the gazes of the others. "Night-vision goggles?"

"And maybe there's a sewage system that runs underneath." JJ nodded his head in agreement. "Fucking hell, we might have just helped solve a fucking crime lads."

Before Simon could respond, the sudden grating of a door being swung stiffly open had all four men's heart leaping to their throats.

"Alright fellas?" the London cabbie called out, pausing in the doorway as he took in the strange sight that lay before him. Deciding to save his questions for later, he turned slightly and gestured outside. "You still be wanting me? I can't wait around forever."

Thanks again to everyone voting!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 6 20
For years they've been posting videos, content, and having fun. The famous YouTube group which consists of seven boys. Vikkstar, Tbjzl, Zerkaa, Behzi...
8.7K 476 23
In a world where superheroes exist, there is a group called the Sidemen. They are always there to save the day whilst fighting criminals of London. B...
1.1M 15.9K 200
If you love the Sidemen like me then you'll be sure to enjoy these preferences! I will also take requests but write with (Y/N) so the reader can fee...
11.4K 78 29
Your older brother Simon is a youtuber in a group called the Sidemen. They are currently living in the sidemen house all together, you get into a bit...