Best Friends with the Player

By RealityCheck101

Kimberly Taylor was a quiet, shy girl with no friends growing up, until Kindergarten when Asher Knight change... More

Chapter 1- Best Friends with the Player
Chapter 2- Little Bit of Love
Chapter 3- Bad Ass Friends
Chapter 4- Asher's Day of Torture
Chapter 5- Party
Chapter 6- Regrets
Chapter 7- All For Me
Chapter 8- Awkward Movie Time
Chapter 9- It's A Date
Chapter 10- Surprisingly Sorry
Chapter 12- Mumbling Truths
Chapter 13- Thrill Ride
Chapter 14- Moral Change
Chapter 15- Family Matters
Chapter 16- Family Gathering
Chapter 17- A Change For Better or Worse
Chapter 18- Love Can Change You
Chapter 19- Love Actually
Chapter 20- What's Said Is Never Promised
Chapter 21- Everyone Has A Breaking Point
Chapter 22- We All Have Secrets
Chapter 23- Secrets Are Secrets For A Reason
Chapter 24- Riptide
Chapter 25- Hold Nothing Back
Chapter 26- Athazagoraphobia
Chapter 27- Let's Be Normal
Chapter 28- Golden Moments
Chapter 29- Snow Day
Chapter 30- Holiday Plans
Chapter 31- Everything I Didn't Say
Chapter 32- Morning Suprises
Chapter 33- Christmas Love
Chapter 34- The Love That Must Go On
Chapter 35- Thinking Out Loud
Chapter 36- A Leopard Changes its Spots
Chapter 37- The Knight's Version of Family Game Night
Chapter 38- One Last Time
Chapter 39- Come Together
Chapter 40- Graduation
Chapter 41- Epilogue

Chapter 11- Silver Lining

410K 7K 2.8K
By RealityCheck101

Chapter 11- Silver Lining

Kim's POV

"Are you sure!" I screamed.

"I'm positive! This is so much more fun than driving itself," Spencer reassured me. I grip my hands on the steering wheel until my knuckles turn white. Truth be told, I honestly have never been Go-Cart racing in my life! I'm extremely petrified.

In seventh grade, Asher told me the story about his cousin going too fast on the track and bumping into another cart and flipping over. His cousin was thirteen and broke his collar bone and arm! You can see my reason why I've never done it. I double check if my seat belt is on and look up to find the light going from red to yellow. Holy shit, holy shit!

"The one who survives gets to pick the next game," Spencer shouted to me jokingly. I had told him about the story and why I haven't been Go-Carting before, needless to say he's trying to prove that I won't break my collar bone and there's nothing to be afraid of.

"What?! Survive!" I screech, feeling my heart thump ten times faster. He winks at me and looked forward. Yellow, green... GO!

I stomp on the gas pedal flying, onto the track. My hair blowing all around my face, the wind making my face feel cold. By the second lap around, I felt more at ease. A smile forms lightly on my face as I pass by Spencer yelling.

On the fourth lap, I drove back into the station with a wider smile and coming in before Spencer, "Well look what we have here, I guess I won." I said with a playful smirk.

"I let you win." He laughs, getting out of the cart and helping me out of mine.

"Oh that's what all the guys say when a girl beats them." I state, grabbing his hand so I can climb out the go- cart easier.

"Or because I really did just let you win. Just a thought though." He said shrugging his shoulders with a chuckle.

"I'm sure that's it." I giggle, putting my hands in my pockets to keep warm, "You're just jealous that I get to pick the next game," I pointed out. He rolls his eyes, laughing. I laugh with him as we walk through the little amusement park, passing by all sorts of different games and activities. It was a bit chilly out with a small breeze swaying by so it was a good thing I did bring my peacoat.

"So what game you want to do next?" Spencer asks, looking around. I searched around for a perfect game, something that we would both enjoy. And in the middle of the park there it was standing twenty or so feet in the air.

"That right there," I said pointing like a child.

"You want to rock climb that thing?" Spencer questioned, pointing up to it.

"Yes! Or unless you're too much of a sissy to handle it," I said tauntingly, backing up to the slab of rock.

"Oh you're on!" he shouted, racing me to the wall.

After putting our gear on and listening to the man's instructions, we finally start making our way to the top. One by one, I pushed myself higher and higher, and right when I was about to slap the red button indicating I had won, another went off.

I turn my head to Spencer, seeing him gloat with satisfaction of winning. "I believe the sissy just won!" he gloats.

"Ha! You called yourself a sissy!" I tease, trying to control my hair from the wind, "Last one down-"

"Buys the other cotton candy," he finished. Oo, I like that deal as much as I love cotton candy.

"Deal!" I agreed, nodding my head, "1-"

"2-" He counted.

"3!" I barely said it before Spencer pushed off against the wall before me. "Hey! Cheater!" I shout as I slide down after him. I landed, letting my two feet hitting the ground. Spencer looks at me, smiling and shaking his head. "You little cheater. I'm going to get you for that." I promise him.

"I'd like to see you try!" He counters, sticking my tongue at him. I tilt my head to the side, accepting the challenge. After taking off our gear and handing it off to the next people, we walked to the nearest food booth so Spencer could buy cotton candy. We made to the end of the park watching some people in the batting cages nearby.

Spencer and I watched the batting people, but two in particular caught our attention. One was an old lady, about in her sixties, missing every ball, she was way off! A chubby guy in the next cage swinging the bat as if his life depended on it, but missed. It was funny seeing him get frustrated and cursing.

I look up to the dark sky, locating scattered stars spread out, and then it hit me. One little snow flake on the tip of my nose and then another on my cheek! I gasp, smiling to the sky as I start to see the little flurries in the sky. "It's snowing!" I squeal, to Spencer, pulling at his arm like a child for him to look up.

"No it's not," he said in disbelief, looking up himself.

"Yes it is- look one just stuck to my jacket!" I point to the small white fluff on my black pea-coat. Then it started to come down in light flurries. I jump up and down like a two year old, smiling as the snow fell. Finally! I can't believe it's snowing! I love snow it's so beautiful.

"You like snow?" Spencer asks looking at me with a perfect smile on his face.

"I love snow!" I giggled spinning around with the snow flakes.

"You look like a child," Spencer said, laughing at me.

"Yeah, what are you going to do about it?" I teased bravely. Still spinning blindly, I knock into him, losing my balance a little. He caught me and held me by the waist.

"Whoa, easy there klutz," he chuckles.

I smile wildly up at him, jumping up and down in his hold. Suddenly, I realize that I'm standing extremely close to him; so I stop jumping, still smiling at him as he smiles back. And like I always dreamt it would be, he kissed me. Right there, under the first amazing, wonderful, beautiful snowfall of the year. His warm lips covered my cold ones, his warm strong arms around me.

His kiss- our kiss- erupted butterflies in my stomach, my heart racing in my chest, making me feel happy, and -yes I'm going to use the word- tingly in the inside. I felt more alive, feeling an electric current washing through me. He parts his lips and rests his forehead on mind. A smile spreads on my face matching his. Yes, a perfect, small and simple moment that I can't complain about.

Asher's POV

"Blue 90, Hail-marry 49- 49! Set... HUT!"

And there goes the damn fumble! "Fuck!" I grumbled, hoping coach didn't hear me.

Tonight we're sucking ass in a horrible bad term. We've been off our game since the start of the first quarter. We're twenty-one against thirty-five, two touchdowns behind, and coach won't put me in the damn game!

"Get your head in the game, Roberts!" I shouted to Dylan as he whacked his helmet with his hands, aggravated with himself, which he should be. It was a perfect throw.

I look back in the crowded stands, looking around for any sign of Kimmy. It's third quarter and not once did I hear her voice or see her face. She hasn't even come down to say hi! Should have known Spencer wouldn't bring her to the game or she wouldn't come.

"Coach, put me in the game! Get Bradbury out!" I suggested to him. If King, Roberts, and I are together on the field, there's a possible chance that we can still win this. We work really well together, we dominate the field together.

"Sit your ass back on the bench, Knight. I'll call you when I need you," he orders, crossing his arms and chewing his gum furiously. I chucked my helmet at the ground, drinking some Gatorade to sooth my throat. We're defiantly going to lose this game if Coach keeps doing whatever he's planning in that God damn head of his!

"WHOA GO, ASHER! WE LOVE YOU!" shouts multiple female voices. As I turn around, I spot three girls behind the mid high chain linked fence that blocks them from us. I gave them all a small smile and nod once, turning back around.

I look up at the sky for a brief moment and realize it's snowing lightly, which is odd since it's only the end of October. Snow reminds me of Kimmy. She loves the cold and the snow, and it meant she has the excuse to drink hot chocolate whenever she wants. Crossing my arms over my chest, I watch as the team broke from huddle in formation for HB Drive. Eh, they should do good.... but the way they're planning, I highly doubt that.

The moment the team started running with the ball and getting closer to the end field, I had some high hopes. When King got tackled at the twenty yard line, I screamed a yeah, throwing my fist in the air. The cheerleaders on the sidelines shout and scream doing a couple of flips and chants.

"ASHER!" a familiar female voice screams. Turning around, I see Kimmy waving her hands to me with a wide beautiful smile across her face.

I couldn't really stand her right now. Truthfully, I'm a bit aggravated with her and annoyed. I can't believe she missed most of the game. Ridiculous. All to be with that Spencer dude. I seriously hate that kid now. I knew though that I need to get over it and be happy for her like I told her I'd be.

"ASHER!" she called again. TI roll my eyes, turning my head to her. She motions for me to go up to her. I look back to the field to see the team still huddled together.

Slowly, I made my way to her with a scowl on my face. "What?" I ask bitterly.

"What's with the face? Don't give me that face. So how's the game going?!" She cooed, smiling and full of joy. Instead of playing it cool I took out my anger on her, which I knew I shouldn't have but I couldn't stand how shitty we're playing this game when it's such an easy team to beat.

"We suck! But if you were here you would know that," I spat, throwing my hands in the air for emphasize.

"What girl put you in this sour mood?" She questions, knitting her eye brows together.

Originally, I would retort back by saying you as a joke, but my facial expression would have made in non-humorous. Instead, my anger just built up inside me.

"For fucking God sakes, Kimberly-" I yelled, being interrupted by a loud male voice.

"Knight! You're on the field- hurry it up! Fairies fly faster than you; move it! Come on!" Coach Phil yelled at me.

I growled, jogging to my helmet, strapping it on, and running to the field meeting up with the team. Suggesting a play, they all agreed first hand. We ran it through almost perfectly, but still, finally, scoring a touchdown!

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" The whole crowed cheered; the cheerleaders did bigger flips and screams, all the guys slapping each other and head butting... The classic stuff.

I jogged back to the bench as we switched out. Taking my helmet off and feeling the sweat drizzle down my face, I looked up to find Kimmy scowling at me now. Like hell I care at the moment. I just scored a touchdown I don't give a rat's ass. "See, Coach! Should have put me in the game earlier, huh?!" I gloated.

Coach Phil shook his head, chuckling and popping his gum. Of course he knows I'm right, come on I'm Asher fucking Knight, and I'm amazing!

*****

"49-35 BABY! HELL YEAH, another win for Jefferson High! Suck that, Ridgefield High!" All the guys in the locker room chant and scream, taking in another win. Even though we've only played eight games, we're still undefeated; but the worst hasn't come yet.

"Alright, guys, take it easy." Coach warns, trying to settle us down. But it's too late as I motion in for Roberts and King to dump the rest of the Gatorade tank to drown all over Coach.

The guys got all riled up again, laughing at Coach. After Coach got us settled down, again, he gave us his normal speech update, "So we did OK, fellas. We still have to practice way more. That beginning part of the game was ridiculous terrible. Not going to lie, I expected a better game out of you guys. That game should have been cake walk. We got to be exceptionably ready for next week since we're versing.... Easton High! "

They are a pretty hard team to beat. Last year, we lost to them big time and the year before too. As Coach Phil wraps up his speech, he warns us that practice is going to be held double time for next week. With that, we all groan, heading out of the locker rooms and to the parking lot in a pack. Cars are coated with snowflakes and small snow piles on the grass. Not enough to start a snow war though.

As I head to my car, I see Kimmy walking by not with Spencer! Yes, finally this is my moment! I jog quickly up to her, "Hey, babe. Miss me?" I smirked, draping my arm around her shoulder and steering her slightly towards my car. Much happier than I was earlier.

"Don't 'hey babe me' after acting like a dick. Go to some other girl that'll take your bullshit for the night," she replied coldly.

"Whoa! Did I miss something, because I thought-"

"You thought you could take your anger out on me and think later I'll be cool with it?!" she accused, knitting her eyebrows together shockingly.

"Hey look, I was just pissed and aggravated about the game! Don't take it personally." I say as my way of apologizing without actually saying the word sorry. I don't say sorry. Gibbs's rule number six, never apologize it's a sign of weakness.

"You never yelled at me before about it though," she whispered, sounding hurt.

"Look, Kimmy.... I didn't mean to alright. Why don't we just go and get some pizza like we always do after my amazing win," I suggest. A large pepperoni pizza with fries would hit the spot right about now.

"Why can't you just say you're sorry? For once can you say sorry; even when you know you're wrong? Stop beating around the word and just say it, its one freaking word," she informs, me crossing her arms over her chest. I mentally roll my eyes. Can't she just accept my apology so we can get some pizza? "I think I'm just going to go out with Spencer. Get some frozen yogurt or something," she mumbles, walking away from me.

"What you mean frozen yogurt? Kimmy, it's like thirty degrees out! Come on, babe, it's our tradition!" I remind her. We've rarely ever broke tradition.

She shrugs, walking towards the parked car a few feet away and getting in. As the car faces me, Spencer shoots me a look as if he's saying hi with a small wave. I held my arms in the air, looking over at Kimmy in the passenger seat. "Come, Kimmy," I said, loud enough for her to hear me.

She pulls the corners of her lips up, sadness clouding in her eyes. Damn it! Again with the whole Spencer thing! She's breaking everything we built! He's destroying us! Why the fuck did I flip at her like that? That's the real reason why she's not coming with me! Anger and annoyance boils through my veins as I growl. I throw my duffel bag in the trunk and drive around the block to the pizza place the team and the cheerleaders always hang out afterwards. And of course, I made out with the cheerleaders! I still need to keep my reputation in tack here.

Getting home an hour or so later, it's already eleven o'clock. The house is pitch dark, everyone already in their beds asleep. I move around the house quietly and get in the shower. My muscles are all tense and soar and all I want to do is crash in bed.

After doing so, I shut all the lights off and climbed into my covers, not able to move from my position. I was about to fall asleep when I heard a faint squeak from the down stairs door. I can't believe my mom was getting home now! Why would she be out this late anyways? Whoa, wait were my little sisters home alone?!

I heard soft thumps of her feet climbing up the stairs and opening my bedroom door. Wow mom really, I'm seventeen I don't need you to check up on me anymore. But I guess that wasn't it because then I heard her go into my closet.

Good Lord! Why is she doing laundry at this hour? Opening my eyes and tilting my head to see my closet, I notice that the dark figure is shorter than my mother. Squinting, I could barely make out who it is until the girl climbs into my bed snuggling close to my chest. I was still being skeptic about it, narrowing my eyes at the dark silhouette climbing into my bed; almost pushing her away. Inhaling her familiar fruity perfume scent, I smile, nudging my face into her shoulder and planting a kiss from there to her neck, to her chin, and lastly to her jaw bone.

"What are you doing here?" I say with a happy smile on my face. Well this is surely a great surprise.

"Did you really think you were going to lose me that easily?" my lover's voice whispered through the dark. I could only picture her smiling at me too.

"Lo siento." I mumble, resting my head on her shoulder. Hey, in my defense I didn't really say sorry. It means sorry, that's different.

Kimmy laughs, rolling over so she's facing me. Both of our elbows propped to hold our heads and to look at one another, "I didn't think you paid attention in Spanish class. I'll take it. And you're forgiven."

I chuckle lightly, kissing her forehead before we lay our heads down on the pillows still looking at one another. "So how was your date?" I ask, just because I knew I would be a good friend if I did. Hearing her giggle made me fall more into a sleepy drift, knowing that in seconds I would pass out. I knew she couldn't be mad at me for that long.

Moments go by before I hear her whisper something that I'm not quite sure I heard right, since I was so tired and sore with exhaustion. "He kissed me, Ash. He kissed me," she sighs, falling asleep next to me. Both of us gone in a deep slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment! Vote! FAN!<3Ky&Kels:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

257K 7K 32
They say jocks and new girls don't mix. With my personality and character, she isn't exactly considered as my 'type of girl'. Yet strange enough, I s...
11.7K 391 21
*Previously called 'Player Falling For A Nerd.' (: * Having a twin sister is something amazing. But that's the total opposite for Skylar. In fact, Sk...
1.4K 149 28
Meet skylar, a fun, outgoing, beautiful young girl who spent most of her days with her best friend Tyler. Meet Tyler a handsome, intelligent, young...
113K 3K 31
3 Bestfriends Amanda,Emily, and Ashley are called nerds in thier school Adam High, well that's what people think they are but they have their little...