Playing With Chance

By AngelHidingHorns

Playing with chance? Not a good idea. Eventually it will throw something at you that you don't know how to... More

Playing With Chance - Chapter 1
Playing With Chance - Chapter 2
Playing With Chance - Chapter 3
Playing With Chance - Chapter 4
Playing With Chance - Chapter 5
Playing With Chance - Chapter 6
Playing With Chance - Chapter 7
Playing With Chance - Chapter 8
Playing With Chance - Chapter 9
Playing With Chance - Chapter 11
Playing With Chance - Chapter 12
Playing With Chance - Chapter 13
Playing With Chance - Chapter 14
Playing With Chance - Chapter 15
Playing With Chance - Chapter 16
Playing With Chance - Chapter 17
Playing With Chance - Chapter 18
Playing With Chance - Chapter 19
Playing With Chance - Chapter 20
Playing With Chance - Chapter 21
Playing With Chance - Chapter 22
Playing With Chance - Chapter 23
Playing With Chance - Chapter 24
Playing With Chance - Chapter 25
Playing With Chance - Chapter 26
Playing With Chance - Chapter 27
Playing With Chance - Chapter 28
Playing With Chance - Chapter 29
Playing With Chance - Chapter 30
Playing With Chance - Chapter 31
Playing With Chance - Epilogue

Playing With Chance - Chapter 10

3.2K 102 22
By AngelHidingHorns

Mondays suck.  

It's a well known fact that they suck too.  So why do they exist?

I opened my eyes, and stared at the ceiling.

On the bright-side, I slept better then I had in a while.

I think my mind decided to stop screwing up my dreams, because I never have okay dreams two nights in a row.  

My alarm went off again, and I jumped slightly.

Stupid thing.

Sometimes I want to see how much damage a blender would do to it.

"Elizabeth!" my mom yelled, "Breakfast!"

Now that was a good reason to get out of bed.  I wish my alarm clock said that instead of beeping at me.

"Elizabeth!  It's getting cold!"

"Coming!"

On the bright-side, today I get to test out Elliot's idea.  

The thought brought a smile to my face as I started to jog down stairs.

"Good morning," I said happily as I walked into the kitchen.

"You seem oddly cheerful......  What are you planning?" my mom asked with suspicion.

"I'm offended.  Can't I just be happy?  Do I really need a reason?"

"There is always a reason behind a person's smile, because it's you I have to assume that the reason behind it is that you have something planned for today that isn't good."

"You know me so well...." I said smiling at her.

"Unfortunately," she said with a smile, "So...  What are you planning."

"I take back my previous statement.  If you think I'm going to tell you, you don't know me at all."

"Does it have to do with school?"

"Yes."

"Does it have to do with your teachers, or pranking the school?"

"Not really....."

"Will it get you expelled if you get caught?"  

"I don't know.  Can you get expelled for messing with other students?"

"It depends on what you do to them...." she answered looking at me with a disbelieving expression.

"In that case, I have no clue if it would get me expelled.  Don't worry though, I won't get caught," I stated, "It's probably not something they would expel me for anyway."

"Are you sure?  There have been somethings that you've done that you would have gotten expelled for if you'd gotten caught."

"This isn't one of those things.  It really isn't all that bad."

"I'm so tempted to keep you home today," she said looking at me with exasperation.

"But that would just be delaying the inevitable.  You should just let what happens, happen and deal with it when it becomes a problem."

"If everyone had that attitude we wouldn't get new inventions."

"Yes we would.  New inventions are a convenience, and they solve problems.  There fore people would figure it out."

She shook her head at me, and turned to eat her food.

The first person I saw when I walked through the door was of course my target.

"Good morning," he said walking beside me as I turned down the hallway with my locker in it.

I ignored him, and kept walking.

"Elizabeth?" he asked, confused as to why I wasn't responding, "Is something wrong?"

I didn't respond.  Instead I bent down, and put in my locker combination to pull out my books.

When I stood up I turned around, and headed for my first class without acknowledging that he was with me every step of the way trying to figure out why I wasn't talking to him.

"Elizabeth," he said grabbing my shoulders, and spinning me around, "What's going on?  Why won't you talk to me."

I brushed his hands off my shoulders, and turned around to walk into my classroom, but not before catching the devastated look on Chance's face.

That was a defiant win..... but something about it kind of made me feel...... not quite as pleased as I usually am with a win.

Shrugging it off, I sat down in my desk, and stared at the board.

For the first time since the first day of school someone seemed interested in talking to me.

It wasn't hard to figure out why.  The first words that came out of her mouth were, "Who was that?"

I looked at her, and cocked my head to the side, "New?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Kind of.  Everyone here knows who that is.  Or so I assume.  Nobody else will talk to me."

"Why not?"

So many answers to that question.  I could say that it's because I don't want them to talk to me, or I could go with the whole they're afraid of me thing.  They got this theory that I'm an alien because of how I talked to Chance on the first day.....

I know there are more things I could say to that, but I don't really want to think of them.  I'm going to go with the second one.

"They're scared of me."

"Why?  No offence, but you're not all that intimidating."

"Beets me, but watch."

Standing up I walked over to one of the other students.  He was walking into the room laughing with a couple of his friends.  

I think his name was Christopher, or something like that.  Maybe Jace...  Don't know.  Not really important.

"Hello," I said looking at him with a polite expression.

He looked over to me, and I saw his eyes grow wide before he dropped his head.

"Yes?" he asked with fright.

"I was trying to remember your name, but I can't seem to manage.  Can you remind me?"

He swallowed hard before glancing up briefly and saying, "Chase."

"Thank you," I said smiling, and turning around.

Sitting back in my desk, I heard the new person let out a low whistle.

"What did you do to deserve that kind of reaction?"

"Don't know.  I have a theory, but I can't really prove it....." I said trailing off.

"I can see why."

"I think I've lost my manners.  My name is Elizabeth,"

"I'm Brandy."

Let's see if this 'friend' works out better then the last one.  

"Can I see your schedule?"

"Sure," she said pulling it out of one of her pockets.

Looking it over I realized that she had more than a few classes with me.

"Wow," I said as I read it, "It looks like you have a tour guide if you want one.  I think there is one class on here that I don't have with you."

"Cool.  Thanks."

I never answered her first question.  Oh well.  If she's really interested she'll ask later.

We kind of spent that whole class talking.  The teacher did call on me once, but the question was, so easy she would have thought I was paying attention if she hadn't bee listening to our conversation.

By the end of class I decided that Brandy might not be too bad.  I might need to pull friend out of quotations later.

She hasn't earned that quite yet, but she's off to a good start.  

I sat with Brandy at lunch, and we started talking about random subjects.  

After a few minutes I saw a boy with the same platinum blond hair, and blue green eyes, sneaking up behind her.  I looked at him, and he held his finger over his mouth, telling me not to give him away.  

Turning my attention back to Brandy I watched as the boy's hand came down on her shoulder quickly.

I laughed as I saw Brandy jump a foot in the air with a yelp.

"Hero don't do that!"

He just laughed along with me.

"You laugh now, but I know where you sleep," Brandy threatened pointing a finger at him.

"And I know that you go to sleep way before me," Hero said still laughing.

She sighed, and turned to look at me, "I'm sorry for my brother.  He can be mentally challenged," looking at her brother she said, "Hero this is Elizabeth.  Elizabeth, Hero."

"Nice to meet you," he said with a polite nod.

"I would say the same thing, but I'm not sure if it's nice to meet you yet."

"Ouch," he said placing a hand over his heart, "That hurt me.  right here."

"Get over it.  If you weren't my brother I wouldn't want to know you either," Brandy said rolling her eyes.

"You know you love me."

"Sometimes I question that statement."

He just laughed again.

Suddenly the laughter died from his face, and he looked at something behind me with a glare.  

If looks could kill.........

"What 'ch lookin' at?" Brandy asked looking up at her brother.

He didn't reply, but after a few minutes I think she understood, because I could see the comprehension flash through her eyes, and she made an 'o' with her mouth.

"What?" I asked turning in my seat.

Following Hero's line of sight I saw Chance sitting in his usual seat.

It looked like he was having a bad day.  He had his arms crossed over his chest, and a look more deadly than Hero's was pointed at the world in general.

"Prick?" I asked the twins.

"What?" they asked at the same time.

"The person you apparently don't like, is it Prick?"

Hero dropped his glare, and looked at me, "There's a person named Prick at this school?"

"I don't think anyone but me is allowed to call him that, so not really.  Is it the guy sitting in the corner that looks like he wants to start world war three?"

"Yeah," Hero answered, "He's a dick."

"Speaking of him," Brandy said, "You never answered me in history.  Who is he?"

"He's the only person I talked to at this school before you came," I answered with a shrug.

"Very specific."

I just shrugged again.  Prick was not on my list of things I wanted to discuss right now.

"Elizabeth?" I heard someone ask from behind me.

Instead of turning around I looked at my food, and picked up my sandwich.

"Elizabeth, talk to me," Chance begged, "Please?"

I took a bite, and started to chew.

"What did I do?"

It was very tempting to turn around in my seat, and tell him that he didn't do anything, and he shouldn't be upset, but I've had a lot of practice not doing things that were tempting.

After a few seconds he turned around stomped toward his seat.

I turned in my seat, and watched him go.

He was about half way back when someone got in his way.  Chance pushed the kid with one hand, causing the kid to trip backward, and fall into the garbage can.

"That boy has a nice ass.  He's a jerk, but his ass almost makes up for that," I heard Brandy say.

I'm not sure if it bugged me more that she was complimenting his butt, or that she was calling him a jerk.

"He's not usually this bad," I whispered turning around to look at the twins.

"Yeah right.  I said hi to him last period, and I could have sworn he growled at me," Hero said glaring at Chance's retreating figure.

"He's just having a bad day."

"Maybe he's on his period," Brandy mumbled.

A small grin made it's way onto my face, and I let out a small laugh.

Despite the fact that I was able to laugh, I was kind of worried about Chance.  He really isn't usually like that.

I wonder what's wrong.

It isn't my fault.

Is it?

No.  I couldn't make him that upset just by not talking to him.

************************************************************************************************************

A/N  I hope this was longer then normal.  I did say that I would try to give you more when I couldn't post yesterday.  If it's not I'll try to post twice tomorrow. (No promises though.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

359 8 3
Basically what the title says. I have ideas and I will take requests if they are appropriate and I can work with them.
4K 154 10
This is a sad, very short Septiplier story because I've been reading a lot of these lately (Possible trigger warning.)
120K 3.9K 25
**Sequel/prequel to Baby Steps Though Jin and Namjoon are happy to be taking care of Jungkook now, there's still so much to the boy's past they don't...
117 0 12
Rain. bad has never felt anything but good for us, until it didn't. a life full of him as my best friend, and my partner in crime came to an end whe...