Surrender (Werewolf)

By BrittanyLeigh8

"Will you be mine?" he asked me in a husky voice. I stared at him apprehensively for a moment, thinking over... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 22

273K 7.6K 1.6K
By BrittanyLeigh8

Chapter 22

Time was passing me by whether I was living my life or not. There was a whole world outside these cells and I wasn’t sure I was ever going to see or be a part of it again. Daniel hadn’t spoken to me since the day he told me everything and that was three days ago. I figure he was just giving me time to think about my options. Mate him or die is basically what he told me. But the way I see it, it’s either kill or be killed.

I would never willingly mate him, so the only other option is for him to kill me. Unless I can somehow manage to kill him first.

It had been a total of four days since I had saw Kieran last. I was slowly dying inside without him. Although I couldn’t use our mating link to connect with him, and I couldn’t use my wolf, I could still feel him. That would fade away soon as well.

I wish I knew what he was feeling. What he was thinking, or if he was looking for me. I knew the bond was withering away slowly. Pretty soon his presence would be gone completely.

I needed to get someone to trust me. If I could, I might be able to get away from here. If I could get far enough maybe I could contact Kieran. All hope wasn’t lost.

“You’re excused for a while. I’m taking her with me today,” a familiar voice said. It was one I had grown to loathe so much the past few days.

I watched Daniel step into my room. The lights from the ceiling danced over his golden blonde hair as he walked. He looked brighter. A little more alive today than the last time I saw him.

He sat down next to me on the small couch, our bodies nearly touching. I had to fight the urge to move away from him. The only reason I didn’t was because I didn’t want to make him mad. He needed to trust me.

“I thought you might like to get out of here a while. We can go outside and I can show you around the pack if you like.” His voice and stare was hopeful. “I hope you’ve had time to think about things.”

I ignored his last words. “I would like that,” I said. “If I’m going to be part of this pack I should know a little about it.”

He smiled. “Great. You have shoes in your closet to put on. I’ll be outside the door when you’re ready to go.”

I felt the briefest amount of excitement through my veins when he left and I jumped up to get my shoes. They were a pair of sneakers and I slipped them on as fast as I could.

The idea of spending the day with Daniel didn’t appease me but at least I would get to breathe fresh air again. Baby steps, I had to remind myself. This is your first trust exercise.

Right.

I walked to the door somewhat horridly eager to get out the room that kept me prisoner for what felt like weeks instead of days. Time doesn’t exactly speed by when you can’t do anything except stare at blank white walls. It’s enough to drive anyone insane.

Daniel was waiting for me just like he had promised and took my hand as soon as I was within reaching distance. I wanted to gag the second our skin touched. I didn’t like this. Not one bit. I was not his!

Trust, my brain said again. I hated that constant reminder. I knew what I had to do. I days to plans everything out while in solitary confinement.

I didn’t bother looking in the other cell doors as we passed them. I was afraid of what I would see. That poor tortured man’s face flashed through my mind again and I winched. I didn’t want to end up like him.

Soon Daniel and I were standing at a set of large stone steps leading up an entry way. It’s a door! I wanted to shout. He gently tugged me with him was we climbed our way to it.

I was growing impatient. I was yearning to feel the heat and sunlight on my skin again. It had been so long. A smile spread across my face as the door came open, but just as soon as it was there, it was gone again. We were still the underground cells.

“We have a few levels to go through before we’re there.” he said. He must have seen my disappointment.

Like he said we did pass through several other levels. By the time we reached what he said was the main door, we had climbed three sets of steps. I was being held on the bottom floor. It would be impossible for me to escape from here alone. There were too many floors and guards to go through. It would have to be when I was outside. Once they trusted me alone, I’d make a run for it.

Finally. My smile was back again when I felt the fresh, clean air on my skin. The light from the sky touched everything around us, making it bright and beautiful. I wanted to shed my attire and shift. The wind through my fur would surely soothe me.

But I can’t shift. Daniel is making sure of that.

I tried to not let that get me down. I was outside again! I was at least happy about that. Daniel released my hand only to wrap his arm around my waist and pull me to him. Our chest’s touched and I could feel his heart beating against mine.

As my smile faltered I quickly replaced it with a fake one. This was going to be a lot harder than I thought. My body was screaming at me back away. I belonged to Kieran. Daniel had his chance and now it was over.

“I’m glad you’re here,” he said. “You’ll like it. You’ll see.”

No. No I won’t.

His fingers ran through my hair. “You’re beautiful. I have always thought that.”

I wanted to run from him screaming, please stop touching me.

He leaned in, our faces inches apart. I could hear his breathing. No! He’s going to kiss me. I can’t. I can’t do this. He leaned in even further and just when I thought our lips were going to touch, they brushed the bottom of my jaw instead. Not my lips at all.

Relief washed through me. I could feel the heat from his breath still on my skin and it repulsed me. My body naturally leaned away from him, needing to be out if his touch.

He pulled away and grinned, seeming not to notice my indifference.  “Come on. There’s something I want to show you.”

He led me, fingers interlaced, around the pack grounds. He wanted to show me everything they did here and I was willing to learn it. If I ever got back to Kieran, this information might prove useful.

The first place he showed me was all the gather spots on the land. He wanted to prove to me that the wolves in the underground pack were just the wolves in every other pack. Except underground pack was better.

They prided themselves on freedom. Choice above all. There were no mates here. You chose who you wanted to be with. There was also no sole leader. Axel, Tobias, and Daniel were the ones chosen to lead. I learned it was their goal to make every pack free. Break them down, leave them weak, and then they would pick themselves back up and move on.

Axel saw Alphas as a bad thing. There were to controlling and so much power shouldn’t be left to one person. I was surprised that Daniel went along with him seeing as he was an Alpha himself.

During his long speech about freewill I wondered if he realized I was here not of mine. I didn’t feel like I had very much freedom at all.

Next we visited the children’s training area. I was horrified to find that most of the children were under between the ages of five and twelve. The idea that they were even considering prepping them for battle was appalling to me. Most of them were still babies in my eyes. Orphan babies at that. No doubt because their parents refused to join forced with Axel to fight for freewill, so he killed them. It was up to the Underground pack to take them in, place them with families and train them.

According to Daniel, the younger they trained the more loyal they would be in the future. They would know nothing else but to fight. It was so wrong. It hurt to think that these children had no childhood.

So really they didn’t have freedom after all. If they didn’t make the required choice then they were to suffer the consequences. That’s not freedom.

“Are they being taken care of?” I asked him.

“They have everything they need here,” he said. “We teach them. We guide them. We show them all they can be.”

I stopped and pulled my hand from his. “That’s not what I meant.”

He raked his hand through his bright, blond stands and sighed. “They’re treated like any other member of our pack. We have wolves that take them in and mentor them. There are a lot of factors to take in when deciding where to place the young, but everyone has a chance to adopt. Axel and Celia have adopted two.”

I blanched. “What?” That revelation scared me. Axel is influencing two young pups? That can’t be good for anyone. I shivered from the unpleasant thoughts going through my mind. Evil isn’t born, it’s made. And that’s exactly what he’s doing; making evil in his own image. I couldn’t even fathom what he’s taught them.

“Everyone who has chosen to mate gets a pup. It’s our chance to teach them the right.”

I wanted to shake my head and argue with him that what they were doing here was wrong, then that’s when I saw something that caused me to stop short. A little girl with short blonde waves and a freckled face sat underneath a large oak tree on the property all alone.

She seemed scared and withdrawn from the others children not daring to talk to them. Not a participant in the training, but a bystander. She couldn’t have been more than seven years old. Not one of the youngest I’d saw today, but she was still only a child. A child with her childhood ripped away from her.

“What about her? Why isn’t she fighting?” I asked Daniel motioning with my eyes to the little girl.

He followed my gaze to her, disappointment crossing his features. “Some children adapt sooner than others. Sometimes we get the children too late and they can’t be saved from their ways and they rebel. If they are not with us, they’re against us.”

“What happens to them?” My subconscious warned me not to ask, but had to know the answer, however frightening it may be. Is it really better to oblivious in these situations and never know the horrible truth?

“They’re put down,” he answered immediately. There is no other option. If they can’t be tamed we no longer have a use for them.”

Oh God. Nausea and dizziness hit me like a tidal wave and I felt like I might throw up. Unable to accept this part of their reality I put my hand up in front of me and took a step back. “You can’t be serious. You are killing innocent children”

“If there was someone willing to work with them, and tech them to come around, they might have a chance, but no one wants to bother. Our focus is in other areas.”

“So she’s being put down?” My heart plummeted in my chest. They couldn’t just put her down like a feral animal. She’s so young. She couldn’t be more than seven years old. I couldn’t allow that to happen. The immense need to protect her was overwhelming.

“I’m afraid so. It looks hopeless.” There was no emotion in his eyes as he said the heart shattering words.

“Let me take her,” I said unable to keep the desperation from my tone. I knew it was unlike he’d consider it, but I had to try. They can’t hurt her.

“You can’t. You’ve not proved to us you’re trustworthy yet.” He was firm and unwavering in his decision.

“But I will. I’ll do it all. I’ll train. I’ll fight. I can be cooperative. Just give this. Don’t let them kill her,” I begged.

“It’s not just me who makes the decisions, Claire. Tobias is gone and Axel doesn’t trust you. And it’s only mated wolves who can adopt anyway.”

But I am mated, I wanted to say. But my mate’s not here.

“But can’t you make an exception this time? I’m not going to fight you. I’m willing to stay here and earn everyone’s trust. Can’t I get this one thing return? I’ll help her. I’ll sway her to our side.” The words burned in my throat. This pack wasn’t my side and I wasn’t in allegiance with them, but I had to make them think I was. I was willing to do anything to save an innocent life.

He pushed his hand in his pockets and seemed to consider it. I didn’t miss the hint of a smile on his face as he studied my sincerity. In the end my pleading and words must have convinced him because he seemed to be taking my request under consideration. I just needed to push him a little further.

“Daniel,” I said stepping in front of him and taking his face in my hands. Our eyes were locked, burning with intensity. “Do this for me.”

There was longing in his eye for me and there was no denying it. In sent unpleasant shudders through my body. It took everything in me not to let them surface.

His hands wrapped around my wrists and held them for a moment before he moved his face to kiss each of my palms. His lips lingered on them for longer than I liked, I fought my repulsion every second. When he finally released me I dropped my hands from his face and took a step back suddenly need much more space than before. To my surprise Daniel looked much more resolved in his decision when I pulled away.

“Okay. I’ll discuss it with him. If he approves then you can take her after you’ve earned our trust.”

Relief washed through me. I didn’t bother hiding it. “Thank you. You don’t know how much this means to me.”

“No. I think I do. And this is just the beginning. You’ll like it here and soon you’ll start to see that for yourself and you won’t want to leave.”

I forced a smile, and if I didn’t hate him so much right now, I would have pitied him. He was brainwashed and under the same false beliefs as the rest underground pack and he couldn’t even see it. They had his complete loyalty now and there was no way I could sway him back to the side of good. He was lost forever in the sea of evildoers the surrounded him.

Daniel returned me back to my cell after the tour of the grounds was complete and there were two trays of food waiting on the table for us. I glanced at him in confusion.

“Two plates?” I knew I had been gone for a while, but not enough time to miss two meals.

“I’m eating with you,” he said. “I thought it might be good for us to have some downtime together. I know you must still have a lot of questions and I’m willing to answer them over dinner.”

I didn’t object. Thought being in his company wasn’t exactly ideal, at least he was willing to be open with me. If I could just figure out what their plans were and relay the information back to Kieran maybe I’d have a way to get out of here.

“Okay,” I said taking my seat at the table opposite of him.

I peered down at my food and noticed the protein filled selection for the day waiting to be consumed. It was important we consumed a lot of red meat to sustain our health and give us our nutrients and Axel was making sure we were in tip top shape.

Daniel lifted his brow to me when I didn’t make any movement to eat. I wasn’t hungry for food. I was hungry for information.

“Does Kieran know I’m here? Has anyone from underground pack talked to him?” I couldn’t keep the words from flowing out of my mouth. It had been days since I’d last seen or heard from him or any of my pack. I was growing anxious.

By the look on his face I could see he wasn’t pleased by my question. I didn’t care. He didn’t give me limits on what I could ask and Kieran was more pressing on my mind than anything else at the moment.

“He knows, but he’d be stupid to come here. Underground pack outnumbers his pack by hundreds. We’ve grown since he last encountered us. Besides, we’d much rather have him join us than fight against us.”

“And you think that Alpha’s are just willing to give up their position to eliminate packs everywhere? They’re natural born leaders; you of all people should know that.”

He cut through his bloody stake and as he answered me. “It’s better this way. If there are no packs, there are no outcasts. No rogues. No conflict. Everyone is in charge of themselves.”

“That sounds like a pretty picture, but you can’t believe that would ever work. With no rule there would be chaos everywhere. No one to answer to when a wolf got out of control. No one to enforce rules.”

“We’re animals Claire, we’re meant to roam free and not be repressed. That’s not what nature intended for us,” he said with slight irritation in his voice.

I shook my head. He was making no sense. “Well, you’re wrong there. If it wasn’t supposed to be the way nature intended then it wouldn’t be. Everything is the way it is for a reason.”

He placed his silverware down and leaned back in his metal chair crossing his arms. I wasn’t giving a moments peace between questions and he was starting to see that. Eating was pointless until I got my answers.

“We have a vision where everything will be better in our world. You just have to trust us.”

I nearly laughed, but fought to keep myself in check. Making him made would only hinder my chance at getting out of him what I wanted to know.

“Is that what you’re doing with Axel, trusting him? How can you do that so blindly?” I asked in sincere curiosity. “How do you know he’s not leading everyone to their deaths? This whole thing started out as his fight and now he’s brought the whole world in on it. Can’t you see there are no promises? There is just Axel and his word. You aren’t fighting for freedom. You’re fighting his battle.”

He was luring everyone into the fight under false pretenses and promises that would never be fulfilled. Axel was nothing more than an angry wolf who wanted the entire world to suffer along with him. He was in pain and miserable and misery loves company. He won’t rest until the whole world is under destruction and chaos. I didn’t trust him and never would.

“I don’t expect you to see things our way. You’ve not been here long enough. But with enough time I know we can sway you to our side.” He had an air of confidence around him that I did not share.

Alpha Robert taking over Daniels role as Alpha had taken its toll on him. That on top of everything else he had to endure, he was no longer the same person. He’d been changed by loss and his sense of betrayal. What he didn’t seem to understand was that this was of his own doing. Everything that has led us to this moment was because of him. Either he didn’t care or he was denying the truth.

“How often do you do the raids?” I asked him. It was time to change the subject. I wanted to be in the know. “How often are new people brought in?”

He stared at me for a moment contemplating my angle when finally his expression turned more resolved. “We target the smaller lesser known packs first collecting as many new members as we can. With our growing pack we’re nearly ready to invade some of the larger packs. We’ll hit them slowly, one at a time until we are seen as unstoppable. Word spreads fast when there is new threat on the loose.”

I remained silent trying to process everything.

“Our next target is Perilous pack,” he continued. “We were going to collect you next week when we took your pack by surprise, but now you’ll get to go with us.”

I clutched my fist, squeezing them so tight my nails were beginning to break the skin. It was the only way I knew to vent my anger without actually taking action.

“And how do you suppose you’re going to take them down? Kieran’s pack may be smaller than Underground’s now, but he won’t be unprepared. He’ll be expecting you.”

“Perhaps,” Daniel said as if he’d already anticipated that. “But a betrayal from the inside will throw his off his game. It’s only a matter of time. Soon Tobias will be free and two of Kieran’s own will be with us.”

Betrayal. The words caused my heart to sink. How could this be? Everyone in Kieran’s pack seemed so loyal. They’re a family. No one would dare betray Kieran. Would they?

Anger at the unknown person coursed through me.

“Who?” I demanded slamming my fist on the table. “Who is the betrayer?”

Daniel didn’t bat an eye and only shook his head at me. “Are you sure you really want to know? What’s learned can never be undone.”

“I don’t care. Tell me who?”

Whoever they are, they deserved to be brought to justice. And if it’s the last thing I do, I’ll see to it that that happens.

“See for yourself. They’ll be here next week with Tobias and then you’ll know.” He reached out his hand and tucked a loose strand of blonde hair behind my ear and offered his best pity smile. “You should be careful who you trust.”

“I could say the same to you,” I sneered.

I didn’t have to explain who I meant. He knew. And it was exactly instilling his faith in me by saying the thing I had been, but the newest information had taken more than off guard. Kieran wasn’t the only one being thrown off his game. So was I.

Daniel dropped his hand and stood up from his chair as the guard that left earlier today resumed his duty. “I’ll let you finish your meal. It seems I’ve only upset you. That wasn’t what I wanted.”

The you shouldn’t have said anything, I snapped at him in my mind.

“I thought being open with you was the best course of action, but I was wrong,” he added.

That wasn’t what I wanted to happen.

“You’ve dropped a major bomb on me today. I’ve handled it just like any other person would,” I argued. I could let him think he couldn’t tell me things. Getting information was the only thing I had going for me right now.

His fingers gently traced my jaw line as he towered above me. He eyes shown admiration for me. “But you’re not just any other person, you’re my mate.” He took a slow breath his face changing, letting his disappointment seep in. “I need to know you’re on my side.”

I felt a bile rise in my throat from his touch and the tenderness of his words. No matter what I had to force myself through it.

“I am on your side. I just-I need to process this. Everything has changed for me and I need to cope with it.”

“Then train with me,” he offered. “It will be a good way to channel your anger and for us to show you what we’re all about. I’ll come get you at sunrise in the morning. We start early here and work through most of the day. It will be good for you.”

He was right. It would be good for me. It would get me out of my cell and the training would help to strengthen me. I needed to how to fight back and defend myself. And more importantly I needed to get back in touch with my wolf, now more than ever.

I nodded. “Yes. I’d like that. I want to start as early as possible.”

A full smile lit up on his face. “That’s good to hear. I’m looking forward to spending the day with you tomorrow. Give me a chance and I’ll show you all you can be.”

I was surprised to hear the words from him. When I lived a home with my parents, our pack didn’t believe in the females fighting or taking any part in a war. But now, things were different. He wanted me to fight. He saw that I had it in me and had somehow come to appreciate it. It couldn’t have worked out more perfectly for me.

If he was willing to teach me, I was willing to learn. And it will be even more gratifying when everything he teaches me comes back to bite him. I’ll be he traitor in the midst.

“Tomorrow,” I agreed with a smile of my own. “I’ll be waiting.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

The next chapter will be Kieran and Clare’s POV so you can look forward to seeing how he’s handling everything.  Any guesses who the traitors are? It might be someone you know and it might not be. I love the suspense. :)

Please leave your feedback. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Comment. Vote. Follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 49.6K 19
"You know you can't resist me much longer." He continued to trail kisses down my neck and jaw. I bit my lip to keep a moan from escaping. "I am yo...
21.9K 704 19
Preview: I feel the blood running down my head from the attack. I try to move but my hands are pulled back from the silver chains on tied to the wal...
28.6M 878K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
832K 21.9K 30
"You're mine," he growls. "I am not an object so back off!" He steps closer to me and pins me against the wall. "You're mine," he whispers in my ear...