Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Gray strapped herself into the backseat of the sedan after I handed her back her phone that Wyatt took. She sat as close to the door she could. She had a permanent scowl on her face that I wasn't about to approach until I absolutely had to. She already had her mind made up about us and I don't think I could say anything change that.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive?" Leland asked before buckling himself in the passenger seat.

I started the vehicle. "I'm sure. I was the one who promised to take her home so I'll take her." I gave him a glare, but smiled. "It was Kieran's idea to bring you along, not mine."

He shrugged. "What can I say, I'm trustworthy. And handsome."

"Yeah. I don't think that last one had anything to do with it." I adjusted my mirrors and drove down the driveway. Felix was at the gate with Dorian (who refused to look at me) and cleared the way for us.

I gave them a passing nod and speed past the gates down the winding road that would take us away from Kieran and our pack. We drove until we were out of the safety of the covered green and red and yellow trees and pulled onto a busier road heading toward town.

"So, why do you choose to live so far from civilization? It legit took us almost an hour to get off that mountain and see other humans again."

I shrugged. "We just prefer it that way."

"Oh, right. The whole recluse resort thing. Makes sense. If I ever need to get away..." She trailed off glancing at the passing cars outside her window. "Actually, never mind."

No doubt she was probably remembering Wyatt, the "psycho" who abducted her. I laughed to myself. If only she understood.

"You can drop me off at my apartment. My car has probably been towed by now, no thanks to some asshole. I'll borrow my mom's car."

"Where do you live?" I asked her.

She was contemplative for a moment before speaking up. "I guess I can tell you, providing one of you doesn't show up at my house tonight to kidnap me again. Since you are returning me, I assume I'm safe."

In my rearview mirror I caught her glaring at Leland. He didn't seem to notice her. She must have a thing about trusting guys. Wyatt didn't help that much.

"Turn onto Greene and drive until you pass Handy's Hardware. Turn up Midland road and there will be apartments at the end of the road. Mine is the second one."

I nodded, though I wasn't familiar with this town so I looked to Leland for help. He gave me a silent nod so I focused comfortably back on the road.

"Okay."

When the quite settled back over the car again, I started to broach the subject of pressing charges again to be sure we were on the same page when someone's phone rang. Gray was the one to answer it.

"What?" she said. As the person on the other end of the line spoke, Gray sighed. "Mom, what are you talking about? Where are you? No, I didn't know. I don't- okay. I'm on my way. I'll be there soon. Bye."

She shoved the phone into her pocket and huffed. "Can we move this thing a little faster? We're barely moving."

"We're already ten miles over the speed limit," Leland said.

"I believe I was talking to her," Gray said irritably. "Seriously I have a family emergency. Can we go any faster?"

I looked down at the speedometer then checked my rearview mirror.